Subject: Hebrew Bible, etc.

From: [email-masked] (Paul V. M. Flesher)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:00:36 -0600

I disagree with Prof. Deist that the term "First Testament" shows respect
for the Jewish character of the Hebrew Bible.  To say "First" is to imply
that there is a "second," which those who use the term (primarily
Christians) obviously think is the New Testament.  So the term "First
Testament" is simply another Christian term that ends being parochial with
regard to Judaism.

Personally, I think that there is no good single term.  Instead, "When in
Rome one should do as the Romans do."  That is, if Hebrew Bible is the
subject and will be understood by the audience (Students), use that term.
If not, use Old Testament.  Of course Old Testament is not a clear term
either.  Does it refer to the Protestant OT, the Catholic OT, or some other
version?

Paul

Paul V. M. Flesher
Religious Studies
University of Wyoming
Laramie, WY  82071-3353

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:52:46 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-30 12:20:55 EST, [email-masked] (Paul V. M.

>Testament" is simply another Christian term that ends being parochial with

   I agree. It can be understood as supercessionist, the second being an 
improvement on the first.

>Rome one should do as the Romans do." 

   That's why I prefer the term Tanakh.  The term is of Jewish origin, and as
an acronym it embraces the literature we're talking about: the torah, the
prophets and the writings.
   As for Tobit, Wisdom, etc., caling this group the Apocrypha doesn't bother
me.  The Duetero-canonical and Intertestamental have particular positions in
mind, I think.
   And when it comes to the NT, I think New Testament should be ok.  Jewish
scholars understand that we Christians have a New Testament.  I think it may
be acting *hypersensitively* to change it.  ( I may be wrong).
   I've had a tough time coming up with good working alternatives to NT, too.
To call it the Greek Scriptures (as opposed to calling the OT 'the Hebrew
Scriptures') really confuses me, because when I think Greek Scriptures, I
think of the LXX as well.
   I've heard 'Christian writings' for the NT, but then again, the Tanakh is
our
Scripture too.
   Then there's the 'apostolic writings', and that's not bad, but when I hear
it,
I think of the apostolic fathers.  And not all the writers were apostles.

    So, when in inter-faith settings, (such as TC-list)  I'd recommend Tanakh
for 
the OT and New Testament for the NT.  And I wouldn't make it a law, just a 
matter of voluntary ettiquette.

My 2 denarii,

Tim Staker
[email-masked]