Subject: James/Text und Textwert

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 02:28:52 -0500

On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Jeff Kloha wrote:

> 
> I am beginning work on a STM thesis on the text of James. Fresh
> collations are being made of the papyri and available uncials.
> However, I need a selection of representative minuscules to consult.
> The first volumes of the _Text und Textwert_ series analyze the
> Catholic Epistles. My question is: While the volumes present
> exhaustive studies of relationships among manuscripts in the "test
> passages", has any work been published using this data to determine
> exactly which manuscripts fall into special groupings? 

   For a small book such as James, I can understand your reticence on relying
on profile methods to determine text type.  I'd suggest examining a textual
apparatus or two of James and make a note of how the miniscule mss fall in
line.
   I am sure you will want to consider 33 and 81.

>Have the Alands or their Institut produced any classifications of
manuscripts, 
>or have they simply supplied the data and left individuals to use their own
> theories to group manuscripts (e.g., Colwell's multiple readings or
> the Profile Method)? 

  There is a list of catagories in the Alands'  _The Text of the New
Testament_, pp 156-159, 1987 ed.
    I picked out *some* in the Alands list that I noticed are textual
witnesses in James.  (Look at their book for more info):
 
    Catagory I (Alex): 33, 1241, 1739
    Catagory II/mixed: 81, 323
    Catagory III/independent: 88, 398 (cath), 623, 2495
    Catagory IV/Beza:  none
    Catagory V:  'M'  in text apparatus

  I hope this gets you started or is what you were looking for. 

  Tim Staker
  [email-masked]

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:07:00 -0500 (EST)

>     Catagory V:  'M'  in text apparatus

The Alands' categorization of witnesses is certainly a good starting
point, but as Larry Richards pointed out in paper presented at the SBL
annual meeting, one cannot assume that every book in a manuscript is of
the same text-type.  The Alands classify witnesses by group of books
(e.g., Acts + catholic epistles), but variation of text-type within a
group of books does occur.  I would think that the categorization of the
minuscules chosen for this study of James should be investigated on a
manuscript by manuscript basis. 

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------