Subject: Paragraph marks in Codex Vaticanus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 17:48:01 -0600 (CST)

I am a newcomer to textual criticism, having been led here by my
research on the sound of Greek in the Hellenistic period.  My
dissertation analyzes the aural features of a text, the sounds
an audience would have heard in a public recitation, to determine
a text's organizational structure and clues to its meaning.  My
work on the Sermon on the Mount observes that it is aurally organized
into eight sections of varying lengths, each of which contains
repeated aural patterns and syntactic structures.  I was surprised
to find that the paragraph marks in Vaticanus divide the text into
units that cohere with the text's aural organization.  Further,
I noticed that aural data can often adjudicate among the various
textual witnesses and shed light on otherwise intractable text
critical problems.

I am wondering whether any subscribers to tc-list might have thoughts
or resources to suggest concerning the Vaticanus paragraph marks so I
might pursue the possibility of their consistency with the text's
aural organization.

Thank you for your attention.

Margaret E. Dean
Graduate Student
Melbourne College of Divinity