Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Supercessionism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 03:24:45 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-02 13:46:36 EST, David Moore writes:

>		I think Tim underestimates most Jewish scholars in thinking that
>they might shrink at their Christian colleagues' use of terms like "Old
>Testament" and "New Testament."  To pursue the myth that we can always use
>language that is acceptable to everyone cuts at the very heart of real
>dialogue.  Isn't mutual respect a better basis than politically correct
>speech for achieving sincere, productive scholarly discussion? 

David,

  That's kind of like the American traveler that goes abroad and expects
everyone in the world to speak English and is put off because they do not.
  Actually, foreign folks usually feel very complimented when you use their
language, even if you speak it badly.

   I am not advocating persuing the myth you are talking about.  I am not
talking about trying to please everyone and never offend anyone, which is
pollyanna.

  I think what my suggestion is that we can do this to show *mutual repect". 

Tim Staker
[email-masked]

---

From: David Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:35:09 -0500 (EST)

>   I think what my suggestion is that we can do this to show *mutual repect". 

	Mutual respect is fine; I'm all for it.  But may I suggest that
mutual respect is more readily recognizable when it is expressed freely
than when it is adhered to because it is prescribed. 

	We're not talking about speaking languages not understood by one
another.  Take for example a couple of titles that have to do with the 
list topic:  Wu:rthwein calls his book _The Text of the Old Testament_ 
whereas P. Kyle McCarter, Jr. has written _Textual Criticism: Recovering 
the Text of the Hebrew Bible_.  Either of these titles is equally 
understandable; so why the fuss?

	I think it is probable that the majority of those on the list 
would like, as I would, to save the bandwidth we're using on this debate 
for matters that are more on topic.

David L. Moore                             Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida                               of the  Assemblies of God
[email-masked]           Department of Education