Subject: Re: Identification of a BHS siglum

From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 1995 19:38:54 +0000

At 01:15 09/12/95 -0500, Andrew Gross wrote:>
>Hello,
>
>BHS uses a siglum to refer to a particular manuscript of the LXX.  
>However, I cannot seem to figure out which manuscript that is, and the 
>Prolegomena does not seem to have this siglum in its list.  The siglum is 
>a Gothic G with a rather sickly-looking theta to its right in superscript 
>(as well as a ' marker next to this letter).
>
>An example of it may be seen in notes d and e to Daniel 7:1.  My first 
>guess was that this refers to a recension of LXX by Theodotion.  However, 
>I have no idea if Theodotion ever did a recension of the LXX.  Also, I 
>have not read much Greek outside of very modern, standardized tyepfaces.  
>Am I correct to assume that this is an alternate form of a theta?
>
>
Andrew:

There is a small booklet with a thumb-nail index called " An English Key to
the Latin words and Abbreviations and the Symbols of B.H.S " which is
_supposed_ to be given free with copies of B.H.S sold in English-speaking
countries .

This has a one-page " Signs and Versions " listing which actually gives
information which is clearer than that in 'Siglia et Compendia Apparatum' on
LXIV ff. of the B.H.S

You are quite right, the siglum to which your refer is indeed listed as:
" Theodotion's Greek Translation of the OT"

For information on this edition, you might like to consult:

Swete, Henry B. " An Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek "
[originally published Cambridge 1914 but reprinted in a  nicely bound  --
and very reasonably priced -- edition by Hendrickson 1989]

Regards,

Maurice A. O'Sullivan  [ Bray, Ireland ]
[email-masked]

[using Eudora Pro  v  2.1.2 ]