Subject: Re: Hebrew Bible, etc.

From: Felix Sung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:11:50 -0500 (EST)

> 
> In a message dated 95-11-30 12:20:55 EST, [email-masked] (Paul V. M.
> Flesher) writes:
> 
> >I disagree with Prof. Deist that the term "First Testament" shows respect
> >for the Jewish character of the Hebrew Bible.  To say "First" is to imply
> >that there is a "second," which those who use the term (primarily
> >Christians) obviously think is the New Testament.  So the term "First
> >Testament" is simply another Christian term that ends being parochial with
> >regard to Judaism.
> 
>    I agree. It can be understood as supercessionist, the second being an 
> improvement on the first.

On the other hand, there is (in North America at least) an inherent,
connotative bias toward understanding "first" in terms of primacy of
place or quality as opposed to "second," "e.g., "first class,"
"second-hand," "first things" - when was the last time you heard a
second-place-finisher referred to as a "winner"? Think Buffalo Bills!
:-) which may offset, at least in part, a supercessionist
understanding of "First Testament." 

Felix Sung                                            Wycliffe College
[email-masked]                      Toronto School of Theology

---

From: David Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:50:26 -0500 (EST)

> understanding of "First Testament." 

	I hope no one minds if some of us continue to use the terms "Old
Testament" and "New Testament."  It's good to do what one can so as not to
offend those with whom one dialogues, but why should anyone be expected to
express him- or herself in a way that amounts to a tacit denial of what he
or she believes.  I can write "G-d" with the best of them, but when it
comes to eschewing terms like "Old Testament," "New Testament" or "BC"
because someone might take offense....  Well, I'm not as concerned about
offending anyone as I am about offending, in spirit, the one who redeemed
me and whose claims on my life I accept. 

	Please feel free to refer to the different parts of Scripture as
you see fit.  I'm sure I, and others, will understand.  But also, I hope
each one will extend that same understanding to me and to others who
accept that Jesus is Messiah. 

David L. Moore                             Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida                               of the  Assemblies of God
[email-masked]           Department of Education