Subject: Suffixes at Qumran

From: Richard Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 96 20:47:54 EST

10 February, 1996,

In addition to Andrew Gross's comments in reply to Mark and Beth
LaRocca-Pitts, one might add two things.

1.  -hmh is a very common Qumran substitute for the suffix -hm.  Likewise
-hnh for -hn, -kmh for -km, etc..

2.  In general, a more up-to-date reference for the grammar of Qumran Hebrew
than Kutscher is Elisha Qimron's _The Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls_ (HSS,
29; Atlanta: Scholars, 1986).

Richard Weis

New Brunswick Theological Seminary
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 14:54:13 -0500 (EST)

> 29; Atlanta: Scholars, 1986).

One thing to keep in mind when using Qimron's grammar is that he only
covers the non-Biblical Hebrew texts from Qumran.  I believe the idea was
to isolate features of "Qumran" Hebrew as distinct from Classical Hebrew. 
I'm not knowledgable enough to say whether or not the tradents (or is it
"tradants"?) at Qumran used a more "conservative" (keeping in mind the
potential anachronisms of using such a word in this context) orthography
for the Biblical texts than for the other Hebrew texts found at Qumran.  

For what it's worth, Emanuel Tov does says this, "Although there is no
characteristic representative of this group, 1QIsa(a), which contains the
longest Qumran text of a Biblical book and whose practice is described
thoroughly by Kutscher, is often referred to (incorrectly) as if it were
the main text written in the Qumran practice." 

cheers,

andrew gross

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 23:49:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Andrew Gross wrote:

> covers the non-Biblical Hebrew texts from Qumran.

Just to clarify, for those who may not be familiar with these texts, the 
long endings -hmh, -hnh, etc. _are_ found in some of the biblical texts 
from Qumran, including 1QIsa-a.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------