Subject: Hacohen Harosh

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:16:31 -0500 (EST)

This is an interesting text-critical question from Ioudaios.  Perhaps 
some on the tc-list would care to comment.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 00:10:37 EST
From: David Jay Kaufman <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hacohen Harosh

Dear Ioudaioi,
	I have encountered an interesting question. Why does the LXX 
translate Hacohen Harosh in four different ways in its four occurrances 
in the text of II Chronicles? These are 19:11, 24:11, 26:20 and 31:10. It 
renders Ierous Egoumenos, Iereus O Megas, Iereus O Prwtos and Iereus O 
Archon respectively. For its other occurrances in the LXX (Ezra 7:5, II 
Kings 25:18, and Jeremiah 52:24) Iereus O Prwtos seems to be the 
translation of choice. The differences in the translation seem to be 
purely stylistic on the surface, but there may be more to them. Iereus O 
Megas usually is rendered for Hacohen Hagadol. I realize that the vorlage 
of the LXX may have had this in the Hebrew, but this would not explain 
the other three renderings.

Just wondering,
-David K.