Subject: Proposed Greek Entities

From: Patrick Durusau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:25:26 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

James Adair and I have been composing a set of Greek entities for use in
encoding Greek characters used in printed journals such as Semeia and the
Journal of Biblical Literature.  This set is limited to those characters
which would appear in such materials and is NOT meant for use in the
encoding of Greek manuscript witnesses. Entities are used in SGML/TEI
documents to stand for a character not found in the ASCII character set. 
(A more fornal definition of these entities in the context of a Writing
System Declaration will follow after evaluating all comments and remarks
on the proposed entities. 

I am forwarding to the list the set of Greek entities which we have
developed for your review and comments.  At the same time, I would
appreciate any comments you have on the entities that would be needed or
useful for the encoding of actual Greek manuscript witnesses. 
Abbreviations that are written using special characters, ligatures of
common letter pairs and the like would be in the category of graphical
characters that would merit a separate entity. If you wish to forward any
comments concerning the entities needed for manuscript witnesses to my
personal address, I will summarize the comments and suggestions for
reposting to the tc-list. 

Your assistance and comments on these proposed entities is greatly 
appreciated. 

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
Information Technology
Scholars Press
[email-masked]
Technical Editor, TC, A Journal of Biblical Textual Crticism

***************Begin included Greek Entity File****************

<!-- (C) Patrick Durusau and James Adair, 1996.
     Permission to copy in any form is granted for use with
     conforming SGML systems and applications as defined in
     ISO 8879, provided this notice is included in all copies.

-->

<!-- Character entity set. Typical invocation:
     <!ENTITY % Greek PUBLIC
       "-//Scholars Press//ENTITIES Greek//EN">
     %greek;
-->

<!ENTITY Agrc SDATA "[Agrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA -->
<!ENTITY Bgrc SDATA "[Bgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER BETA -->
<!ENTITY Ggrc SDATA "[Ggrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER GAMMA -->
<!ENTITY Dgrc SDATA "[Dgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER DELTA -->
<!ENTITY Egrc SDATA "[Egrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER EPSILON -->
<!ENTITY Zgrc SDATA "[Zgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ZETA -->
<!ENTITY EEgrc SDATA "[EEgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ETA -->
<!ENTITY THgrc SDATA "[THgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER THETA -->
<!ENTITY Igrc SDATA "[Igrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER IOTA -->
<!ENTITY Kgrc SDATA "[Kgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER KAPPA -->
<!ENTITY Lgrc SDATA "[Lgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER LAMDA -->
<!ENTITY Mgrc SDATA "[Mgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER MU -->
<!ENTITY Ngrc SDATA "[Ngrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER NU -->
<!ENTITY Xgrc SDATA "[Xgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER XI -->
<!ENTITY Ogrc SDATA "[Ogrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMICRON -->
<!ENTITY Pgrc SDATA "[Pgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PI -->
<!ENTITY Rgrc SDATA "[Rgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER RHO -->
<!ENTITY Sgrc SDATA "[Sgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER SIGMA -->
<!ENTITY Tgrc SDATA "[Tgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER TAU -->
<!ENTITY Ugrc SDATA "[Ugrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON -->
<!ENTITY PHgrc SDATA "[PHgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PHI -->
<!ENTITY KHgrc SDATA "[KHgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER CHI -->
<!ENTITY PSgrc SDATA "[PSgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PSI -->
<!ENTITY OHgrc SDATA "[OHgrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA -->
<!ENTITY agrc SDATA "[agrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA -->
<!ENTITY bgrc SDATA "[bgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER BETA -->
<!ENTITY ggrc SDATA "[ggrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER GAMMA -->
<!ENTITY dgrc SDATA "[dgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER DELTA -->
<!ENTITY egrc SDATA "[egrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER EPSILON -->
<!ENTITY zgrc SDATA "[zgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER ZETA -->
<!ENTITY eegrc SDATA "[eegrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER ETA -->
<!ENTITY thgrc SDATA "[thgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER THETA -->
<!ENTITY igrc SDATA "[igrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA -->
<!ENTITY kgrc SDATA "[kgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER KAPPA -->
<!ENTITY lgrc SDATA "[lgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER LAMDA -->
<!ENTITY mgrc SDATA "[mgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER MU -->
<!ENTITY ngrc SDATA "[ngrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER NU -->
<!ENTITY xgrc SDATA "[xgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER XI -->
<!ENTITY ogrc SDATA "[ogrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER OMICRON -->
<!ENTITY pgrc SDATA "[pgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER PI -->
<!ENTITY rgrc SDATA "[rgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER RHO -->
<!ENTITY sgrc SDATA "[sgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA -->
<!ENTITY sfgrc SDATA "[sfgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER FINAL SIGMA -->
<!ENTITY tgrc SDATA "[tgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER TAU -->
<!ENTITY ugrc SDATA "[ugrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER UPSILON -->
<!ENTITY phgrc SDATA "[phgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI -->
<!ENTITY khgrc SDATA "[khgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER CHI -->
<!ENTITY psgrc SDATA "[psgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER PSI -->
<!ENTITY ohgrc SDATA "[ohgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER OMEGA -->
<!ENTITY Diggrc SDATA "[Diggrc]" -- GREEK CAPITAL LETTER DIGAMMA (VAU) -->
<!ENTITY diggrc SDATA "[diggrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER DIGAMMA (VAU) -->
<!ENTITY qogrc SDATA "[qogrc]" -- GREEK LETTER QOPPA -->
<!ENTITY samgrc SDATA "[samgrc]" -- GREEK LETTER SAMPI -->
<!ENTITY stgrc SDATA "[stgrc]" -- GREEK SMALL LETTER STIGMA -->
<!ENTITY isgrc SDATA "[isgrc]" -- GREEK SUBSCRIPT IOTA -->
<!ENTITY cogrc SDATA "[cogrc]" -- GREEK RAISED DOT OR GREEK COLON -->
<!ENTITY qmgrc SDATA "[qmgrc]" -- GREEK QUESTION MARK -->
<!ENTITY commagrc SDATA "[commagrc]" -- GREEK COMMA -->
<!ENTITY periodgrc SDATA "[periodgrc]" -- GREEK PERIOD (FULL STOP) -->
<!ENTITY dashgrc SDATA "[dashgrc]" -- GREEK DASH -->
<!ENTITY roughgrc SDATA "[roughgr]" -- GREEK ROUGH BREATHING MARK -->
<!ENTITY smoothgrc SDATA "[smoothgrc]" -- GREEK SMOOTH BREATHING MARK -->
<!ENTITY gravegrc SDATA "[gravegrc]" -- GREEK ACCENT GRAVE -->
<!ENTITY acutegrc SDATA "[acutegrc]" -- GREEK ACCENT ACUTE -->
<!ENTITY circumgrc SDATA "[circumgrc]" -- GREEK ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX -->
<!ENTITY diaeresisgrc SDATA "[diaeresgrc]" -- GREEK DIAERESIS -->
<!ENTITY elisiongrc SDATA "[elisiongrc]" -- GREEK ELISION MARKER -->
<!ENTITY numbergrc SDATA "[numbergrc]" -- GREEK NUMBER MARKER -->

---

From: [email-masked] (James Tauber SunLabs - SML)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:02:19 -0500

Thanks for explaining, Patrick. The reasons you cite do provide a good grounds
for a new entity set.

Some of you may be familiar with GreekGIF (http://www.entmp.org/GreekGIF/)

Well I'm currently working on a next generation solution to the problem of
Greek character display (until we get some Unicode fonts in browsers): A
Java applet that draws the Greek characters passed to it via parameters.

I shall use your proposed entities for this endeavour. It is also likely that
the ENTMP will use them as well.

Regards

James K. Tauber

PS I have now settled in at my internship in Boston so those of you I owe
letters should be hearing from me soon (I have a huge backlog).