Subject: "Magdalen Manuscript"?

From: [email-masked] (David Washburn)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 22:37:59 -0700 (MST)

I just received a question via my web page about a so-called Jesus or 
Magdalen Manuscript, supposedly dated around AD 65.  The questioner 
implied that it has something to do with Matthew's Gospel.  I'm out here 
in northwestern Wyoming, a gazillion miles from a good academic library; 
does anybody have any information about this document?

-- 
Dave
			http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
Seen in a classified ad: "Parachute for sale.  Used once.  Never opened."

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:49:25 -0500 (EST)

> does anybody have any information about this document?

Dave,

This question came up about 6 weeks ago on this list.  Here's my response.

I think that you're probably referring to Papyrus Magdalen Greek 17 (P64)
which was not discovered last year, but rather was redated by Carsten P.
Thiede from ca. 200 (see Colin H. Roberts, "An Early Papyrus of the First
Gospel," Harvard Theological Review 46 [1953]: 233-237) to ca. 70 on the
basis on paleography.  Thiede's arguments may be found in "Papyrus
Magdalen Greek 17 (Gregory-Aland P64): A Reappraisal," Zeitschrift fu"r
Paleographie und Epigraphik 105 (1995): 13-20 and further in the Tyndale
Bulletin (I don't know the full ref.).  Thiede's revised date was
disputed vociferously on Ioudaios last year by Stuart Pickering and, in
greater detail, by Sigrid Peterson.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------