Subject: Different dating systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 22:26:36 -0800

I don't know if it's relevant to this list, but I'm curious as to what
everyone has to say on this issue-

If papryologists come to a set date on a particular manuscript or set of mss.
(say for example, p52 being around 110-138 A.D.), then how do liberal
scholars come to their own conclusions (example- John being written later
than 100 A.D. by someone other than John) and still consider themselves to be
looking "honestly" at the evidence?

In Christ,
Kerry Gilliard
Director and Founder
W.I.T.N.E.S.S.  Ministries
http://members.aol.com/blufunk195/witness.html

"God has a great sense of humor. He made me."

---

From: "Stephen C Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:00:17 -0500 (EST)

>looking "honestly" at the evidence?

A late date (after 95) for the composition of John has the support of
Church Fathers like Irenaeus (c. 130 - 200).  I don't know if Irenaeus
can be considered a "liberal scholar."

Stephen Carlson
-- 
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
[email-masked]              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~scarlso1/     : chant the words.  -- Shujing 2.35