Subject: Re: Ezekiel 20:25-26

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 06:19:27 -0500

In a message dated 96-03-20 16:02:38 EST, Jim West wrote:

>Subj:	Ezekiel 20:25-26

>This text has caused no little discussion over the centuries, not so much
for
>its grammar as for its theology.
>The Targum has a quite different rendering.  Is it possible that the Targum
>contains the oldest reading and that the MT has somehow been corrupted by a
>scribal error (i.e., the omission of "the enemies I turned you over to gave
>you bad laws", etc.)?

The Targums are known for their free paraphrase at times. If their reading is
not supported by other ancient witnesses, it is likely that the translator
was interpreting.

James D. Price
=======================================================
James D. Price, Ph.D.
Prof. of Hebrew and OT
Temple Baptist Seminary
Chattanooga, TN 37404
[email-masked]
=======================================================