Subject: Aramaic Grammar

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 10:41:27 -0500

In response to Jim West's question:

One might consider Franz Rosenthal, "A Grammar of Biblical Aramaic," in the
series "Porta Linguarum orientalium", neue serie 5 (Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz,
1961).

--Petersen, Penn State Univ.

>Friends,
>
>can anyone recommend a good grammar of Biblical Aramaic?  And if so, could
>you please give me the publisher info so I can contact them?
>
>
>Thanks,
>
>
>Jim West
>
>

---

From: "GLENN WOODEN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:55:58 AST4ADT

In addition to Rosenthal, try:

Bauer, Hans and Leander, Pontus. 
Grammatik des biblisch-Aramaeischen. 
Reprint ed. Hildesheim: Georg Olms; 1969.

Segert, Stanislav. 
Altaramaeische Grammatik mit Bibliographie, Chrestomathie und Glossar. 
Leipzig: VEB Verlag Enzyklopaedie; 1975.

Glenn Wooden
Acadia Divinity College
Wolfville N.S.
Canada

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:34:57 -0500

Friends,

Thank you all for your good advice.  Eisenbrauns has several of the Aramaic
grammars mentioned.   

Thanks again for your recommendations.

Jim West

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelly McGrew)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:36:01 -1200

Here are some other grammars of Aramaic:

David Marcus.  A Manual of Babylonian Jewish Aramaic.  Lanham, MD:
University Press of America, Inc., 1981.

Alger F. Johns.  A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic.  Berrien Springs, MI:
Anders University Press, 1972

W. B. Stevenson.  Grammar of Palestinian Jewish Aramaic.  Oxford:
Clarendon Press, 1962.

Kelly McGrew
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"The world is preserved for mercy's sake."  Rashi, on Pirkei Avot 1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]
Olympia, Washington, USA