Subject: Novice Questions

From: "Mark E. Burrill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 11:22:19 -0500

I greatly appreciate the scholarly discussions that this list hosts. I have 
learned much and am determined to learn more about textual criticism. I 
hope, therefore, I am not intruding upon substantive discussions when I ask a 
question or two that may help me in this endeavor.

Can someone recommend a book that is a good introduction to the discipline. 
Preferably one that is offered by CBD or another popular mail order company 
(I'm not near a decent library that carries such things). I've already read 
THE TEXT OF THE NT by the Alands.

How about a source that offers transcripts of the more important early mss?

Finally, I've enjoyed the discussion concerning the James 2:18 XWRIS/EK 
issue. But what I don't understand is this: If this is a topic worthy of such 
scholarly attention, why then does the UBS-4 not mention it as a variant while 
it does list multiple variants of vs. 19, EIS ESTIN O QEOS, none of which 
(as best as I can tell) result in any interpretive difference? 

(I'm only in my first year of Greek, so be gentle!)

************************
*   KATA MAPKON        *
*                      *
*   Mark Burrill       *
*   [email-masked]  *
************************

---

From: Amy S Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:19:39 -0800 (PST)

In reply to Mark E. Burrill:

Greetings!

Much like you, I am in the learning phases of TC and becoming quite 
addicted!  It is pleasant to be able to be of help to another student.  

A book which should be readily available and provide a good introduction 
is "Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism" in the revised 
edition by J. Harold Greenlee (Peabody, MA:Hendrickson,1995).  This 
will only cost you $12.50.

MSS can be explored in:
"Encountering New Testament Manuscripts" by Jack Finegan (Grand Rapids: 
Eerdmans, 1974).

"Manuscripts of the Greek Bible" by Bruce Metzger (NY:Oxford University 
Press, 1981).

Next I would suggest "The Text of the New Testament" by Metzger (3rd 
edition, NY:Oxford University Press 1992).

By then you would be ready for "Studies in the Theory and Method of New 
Testament Textual Criticism" by Eldon J. Epp and Gordon D. Fee (Grand 
Rapids:Eerdmans, 1993).

Enjoy!

Amy Anderson
<[email-masked]>
455 Ford Place  #2
Pasadena, CA  91101
(818)795-9917

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 00:58:08 -0500 (EST)

> THE TEXT OF THE NT by the Alands.

For a beginner, I would suggest you read Metzger's Text of the NT and 
Greenlee's Introduction to NT Textual Criticism.  Aland is probably too 
overwhelming at this stage.

> How about a source that offers transcripts of the more important early mss?

Try Jack Finegan's Encountering NT MSS.  It does not have full 
transcripts, but does reproduce various pages and gives transcripts of those.

> (as best as I can tell) result in any interpretive difference? 

Basically, the editors of the Nestle or UBS editions determine which 
readings in their judgment are more or less "significant."  The UBS 
edition in particular severely limits their selection of variant readings 
to those which are most significant for translators, thus only around 
1450 variant units are mentioned for the entire NT.  

The Nestle editions have a much broader scope, and include somewhere
around 8000 or so variants, perhaps more.  For most people, the Nestle
edition would be preferable (especially with the horrid typeface selected
for UBS-4);  however, even more variants can be found by consulting
Tischendorf's 1869 edition or Von Soden's 1911 edition, or (more recently)
Swanson's 1995 edition of the four gospels with all variants of all cited
MSS provided. 

> (I'm only in my first year of Greek, so be gentle!)

I would worry more about getting your first year completed and then your 
second year advanced grammar and syntax before making a major study of 
textual criticism.  Remember, about 90% of the text is identical in all 
Greek editions and MSS.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.            Assoc.Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~