Subject: Re: Codices for Teaching

From: [email-masked] (Carlton L. Winbery)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:59:28 +0400

Kevin Grenier wrote;
>1. I am looking for a good quality large photograph of a passage from the
>Book of John from a codex for use in class. I need one I can copy freely as a
>handout for students to work on. Does anyone have a good suggestion of where
>to obtain this?
>
>2. I am also interested in people's opinions on the best text and reference
>books available on NT textual criticism. I would appreciate any comments.
>
Metzger's classic text in its revised edition is still a good approach to
TC of the NT.  If you prefer a more hands on approach, Jack Finegan's book
(more like a workbook) Encountering NT Mss. is still a good one.  It will
have a lot of black facsimilies in it, some from John I think.  Of course,
you could go with the Alands' Introduction, but many except the very
brightest could get lost in the intracies of his discussion.  I like the
tie in with other historical developments such as the canon.  I would think
that the students would be free to copy pages from any book that they use
as long as it is for their personal use and not for distribution.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Barbara Keats <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 23:41:37 -0700

Although only a cursory search at this point due to time limitations, a web
search on "codex" revealed a number of options.  At
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/overview.html produced an
"interpreting ancient mss" web;  the Codex Sinaitus is at
www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc-codexs.html; the Vaticanus at (same
address except tc-codexv.html at end of string).  There are other options
pointed to, and a number of other sites to browse from here;  there are
hypertexts to "click" on to move more deeply into the sites.  Any could be
printed off, and would be especially well served by a color printer.  Hope
this is not "old news" -- I am a relatively new kid in town.   

BWK.

At 04:24 PM 3/4/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Kevin H. Grenier
>[email-masked]
>Colorado Christian University
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:47:01 -0800

I think Norman Geisler and William Nix's "A General Introduction to the
Bible" has a picture of a codice or two of John.

As for a good book on Textual Criticism, you can check out practically any
book by F.F. Bruce.  Geisler and Nix's book go into TC a little, but not
much.

I'll be adding a link to some papyrus photos on line, thru my minitry's web
pages shortly. The URL is listed below.

In Christ,
Kerry
W.I.T.N.E.S.S. Ministries
http://members.aol.com/blufunk195/witness.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale M. Wheeler)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:12:51 -0800

Barbara Keats wrote:

>"interpreting ancient mss" web; 

The Brown site is one of the more clever uses of the Web and has some very
nice things on it.  One caution however, the main section which has to do
with the principles of TC and the nature of "text-types" is based on a book
I had never heard of before and which contains statements which are--well
lets us just say as nicely as possible--debatable.  For example, they
confidently assert that Lucian was responsible for the Byzantine text-type,
that the Cesaerean text has a certain provinence and character, etc., etc.
There are several things like that which many, if not most TC scholars
today, regardless of the view they hold, would not agree with.  CAVEAT EMPTOR.

***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept                  Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 22:45:48 +0200

Just out of curiosity:  Why did you date the email 09 Mar?

//Nils Martola
//Abo Akademi University
//[email-masked]
//--- forwarded letter 
-------------------------------------------------------
> X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Date: Sat, 09 Mar 96 23:41:37 -0700
> From: "Barbara Keats" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Codices for Teaching

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Keats)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 14:01:09 -0700

I had forgotten that in a moment of paranoia I changed the date on my
computer to ward off the "just in case" of the Michaelangelo virus
re-appearing on the 6th, as we are warned each year it might.  I intend to
reset the date after today.  Sorry for any confusion.

>Just out of curiosity:  Why did you date the email 09 Mar?
Dr. Barbara Keats
Arizona State University
Dept of Management

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Keats)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 13:56:30 -0700

As I mentioned, I am willing to remain very humbly a "new kid on the block"
-- I was only responding to the search for reproducible pages from a codex,
not to the request vis. tc, which I did not pursue at the sites.  Sorry if
my message suggested anything beyond that.

BWK

Dr. Barbara Keats
Arizona State University
Dept of Management

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale M. Wheeler)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 22:25:40 -0800

>my message suggested anything beyond that.

Barbara:

I never intended to imply that you had done anything more than suggest a
good place to look for online mss reprductions...and the Brown site it
really nice for that.  It was only that the original request had also
mentioned TC books and so I thought that a warning about that section of an
otherwise well done site was warranted, lest a beginning TC student be
mislead into thinking that the summary was the final word on the subject.
Again my apologies to you, if you or anyone else took it the wrong way; it
certainly was not intended as a criticism of your advise.