Subject: Re: Is 7:14

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 16:24:01 -0500

In a message dated 96-03-12 13:27:20 EST, you write:

>> It is well known that the LXX of Is 7:14 uses the word "parthenos"; while
>the
>> MT has "almah" and not "bethulah".
>> 
>> My question, particularly to Dr. Ehrman is, is this an example of scribal
>> corruption to make the LXX conform with the orthodox viewpoint concerning
>the
>> messiahship of Jesus?
>> 
>> It seems that several other versions of the LXX, which have a different
>> rendering, would support this view.

I have always been of the opinion that Matthew and Luke followed the LXX
here, not the other way around.  A quick scan with BibleWorks revealed the
following Hebrew terms being translated by "parthenos" specifically:

ha'nar, bethulah, ha'almah (Gen 24:43); ha'bethulah, bethulah Israel being
quite common especially in Jeremiah.

The Genesis 24:43 follows Isaiah 7:14 closely---but I see no reason why the
LXX would have been corrupted to an "orthodox" reading at this point.

**********************************************************
*   James White, B.A., M.A., Th.M., [email-masked]   *
*  College of Christian Studies-Grand Canyon University  *
*   Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary-AZ Campus   *
* Professor of Apologetics-Faraston Theological Seminary *
*          Director, Alpha and Omega Ministries          *
*           http://net387.texas.net/ao.html              *
**********************************************************