Subject: Aramaic Grammar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:17:03 -0500

Friends,

can anyone recommend a good grammar of Biblical Aramaic?  And if so, could
you please give me the publisher info so I can contact them?

Thanks,

Jim West

---

From: Sigrid Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:38:49 -0500 (EST)

The authoritative grammar is FRanz Rosenthal, <b>A Grammar of Biblical 
Aramaic</>, published in Wiesbaden by O. Harassowitz.

Sigrid Peterson  UPenn, Bar-Ilan University, Hebrew University of Jerusalem,
		 and The British School for Archaeology in Jerusalem
		 [email-masked]
 
According to [email-masked]: >

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:21:51 -0500 (EST)

> Aramaic</>, published in Wiesbaden by O. Harassowitz.

I have Rosenthal and have used it, but it is very brief and doesn't deal 
much with syntax, as I recall.  Is there a reference grammar for Aramaic, 
or does somebody know whether someone might be working on one?  I have 
the same question for Syriac: is there something beyond Brockelmann,
Robinson, or Muraoka?

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: george howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 96 14:13:01 EST

An extensive grammar on Syriac is Theodor Noldeke, Compendious Syriac Grammar,
tr. by James A Crichton, London:Williams and Norgate, 1904.
                                      George Howard
                                      UGA

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:08:19 -0500 (EST)

> the same question for Syriac: is there something beyond Brockelmann,

I am not in my office so I cannot check on publication data, but I 
believe there is a more extensive work by Alger F. Johns, coming out from 
Andrews University Seminary Press.