Subject: subscribers reach 200!

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:08:06 -0500 (EST)

A recent flood of subscribers after I made an announcement about this 
list on the b-greek list has pushed the number of people on the tc-list 
over the 200 mark.  Now if we can only get more of you to participate, so 
it doesn't look like I set up the list for Maurice and me to debate 
text-critical theory!  Seriously, though, I would like to welcome all of 
the new people to the list and remind the subscribers that we can talk 
HB/OT textual criticism, too (including LXX, etc.).

Also, let me remind you that you can subscribe to a digest version of the 
list.  Simply send the message

subscribe tc-list-digest
unsubscribe tc-list 

to [email-masked] (you can include an e-mail address 
after the list name if you are subscribing to a different e-mail account 
from the one you are using at the time).  Depending on list traffic, you 
will receive anywhere from three to ten messages per week, each 
containing several different messages, with a list of subject headings 
for these messages at the top.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:44:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, James R. Adair wrote:

> text-critical theory!  

>From my side also: please join in.

> list.  Simply send the message

Jimmy, is there any need or benefit for those on the main TC-list to 
receive the digest?  Or is this only for those who want a quick overview 
without having to read all of the lengthy posts?  It is a "reader's 
digest" type condensation, or merely a selection from what was posted in 
a given week?

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 01:26:17 -0500 (EST)

> digest" type condensation, or merely a selection from what was posted in 

There is no reason for anyone on the tc-list to subscribe separately to 
the tc-list-digest.  The latter simply contains several postings to the 
tc-list concatenated together, with a list of subjects at the top.  It is 
all done automatically by the majordomo mailing list software, so there 
is no condensation of data (in that sense, "digest" is really a 
misnomer).  A digest is automatically created whenever the postings to 
tc-list that have accumulated since the last digest was created exceed 
40,000 bytes.  Digests are also created automatically every Monday, 
Wednesday, and Friday mornings, early in the morning (Eastern Standard 
or Daylight Time, U.S.).

In another post off-list, Maurice also asked about access to archives of 
tc-list discussions.  Majordomo has the ability to send the archived 
discussions by e-mail.  This is how it works.  Every month a new archive 
file for tc-list is created, and messages are appended to the file during 
the month.  Archive files can be identified by year and month; for 
example, tc-list.9603 contains all the postings for March of 1996.  Be 
aware that if you request this archive file, you will receive all of the 
mail messages for March as separate messages in your mailbox.  You can 
identify them by their dates, which are the original dates the messages 
were posted.  To get the archived messages for a particular month, send a 
message like this to [email-masked] (_not_ to tc-list!):

get tc-list tc-list.9603

Soon you will receive the archived messages.  The first archive file is 
tc-list.9511.  We're looking at the possibility of archiving the list on 
a World Wide Web site, and we'll probably also put it on our FTP site.

One more note that is somewhat related: because of the traffic on this
list, our other mailing lists, and TELA (especially after we announced the
electronic membership directories of the SBL et al.), our Internet server
has just about reached its full capacity.  As a short-term measure we will
install some more memory, but we hope to upgrade to a more powerful
computer within a few months.  If you experience difficulties from time 
to time with this list or with TELA (refused connections, server not 
available, etc.), please realize that this is probably the reason, and 
try again a little later.  Thanks.

Jimmy Adair