Subject: Thiede's Essays

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 02:16:33 -0500

My mother surprised me today by picking up my copy of "Rekindling the Word"
and I'm starting to read thru it. In search of all honesty and truth, I'd
like to examine the opposing views against Thiede's arguments in this book.
 Since I've noticed folks making references to older works and theories, I
assume that this subject really ain't that new......with that in mind, does
anyone have any older refs (preferably available on the Web since I don't
have access to a car and the only good seminary library in the area is
Capital Theological Seminary) on the subject? Pro and against Thiede's view
are welcome.

Thanks,
Kerry "The Novice on the list" Gilliard
Director and Founder
W.I.T.N.E.S.S. Ministries
http://members.aol.com/blufunk195/witness.html

"God has a great sense of humor and I'm living proof!!"

---

From: [email-masked] (Nichael Lynn Cramer)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 07:21:23 -0400

>Capital Theological Seminary) on the subject? Pro and against Thiede's view

Kerry

Here's an excerpt from a posting I made a couple of weeks back which may be
helpful.

>Others have pointed to recent discussions on this topic that appeared on
>this list (and on IOUDAIOS).  Two other, easily accessible, in-print
>discussion of this material are:
>
>Graham Stanton, "A Gospel Among the Scrolls?", Bible Review, Dec 1995.
>
>Graham Stanton, _Gospel Truths?: New Light on Jesus and the Gospels_
>(Trinity Press, 1995).
>
>(The BR article (primarily selections from the book) focuses on p64 and the
>proposal, put forth by Jose O'Callaghan that certain fragments discovered
>at Qumran contained portions of the NT.  The book is a "popular" survey of
>the current state of contemporary NT scholarship.  The book covers a very
>wide range of topics and, while there are several places where I wished
>that the book had contained a bit more detail, it is a very nice overview
>of the material.  A good book, rich in bibliographic detail, for those of
>us who view these things from the sidelines or for a friend who wonders
>what is actually going on in the field.)

Nichael
[email-masked]                                               __
http://www.sover.net/~nichael              Be as passersby   -- IC

---

From: DC PARKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:19:52 GMT

I have neither met nor read any palaeographer or papyrologist who 
gives any credence whatever to Thiede's claims about the Magdalen 
papyrus of Matthew.  My own criticisms are in The Expository Times 
for last November (Vol. 107), pp. 40-43.  His work is simply peripheral 
to what is being done in the study of NT MSS.
DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]