Subject: Re: AV readings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 20:28 -0500 (EST)

James,

    I'll simply pass on to you what is in my UBS3 and NA27:

Does anyone know of any Greek MSS that support the following
readings in the Authorized Version?  (YES)

    Acts 19:20--"the word of God" (AV) vs. "the word of the Lord" (Greek)

    the word of God: E, 88, 436, it(ar,c,e,gig,p) vg, cop(sa): that is, not
    the greatest textual support, but some. The UBS3 committee gave "the word
    of the Lord" a C rating. Hopefully, someone with a UBS4 will chime in.
    BTW, "the faith of God" is also attested in D, it(d) and syr(p).

     2 Tim 1:18--"ministered unto me" (AV) vs. "ministered" (Greek)

    UBS3: no mss listed for the AV reading. NA27: moi ("to me") is found in
    mss 104, 365, pc, it, vg(cl), and sy. Very poor textual support, indeed.

    Heb 10:23--"profession of our faith" (AV) vs. "profession of our hope"
    (Greek)

    UBS3: no mss listed for the AV reading. NA27: no mss listed for AV
    reading. Even Jay Green's TR doesn't give any ms support for the AV
    reading. Ellingworth's NIGTC commentary briefly notes that pistews "of
    the faith" is supported by mss í (Psi, if it doesn't show up on your
    screen, a late uncial, located at Athos), 1245, and 1898. Very slim
    support.

    --Wayne

Thanks,
James D. Price

---

From: "Stephen C Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:38:25 -0400 (EDT)

[email-masked] wrote:
>    the greatest textual support, but some. The UBS3 committee gave " the word

In UBS4, it is now a B rating.  The evidence it presents is unchanged from
what you gave.  (Same for 2Tm1:18 & Hb10:23 examples: nothing new in UBS4.)

Stephen Carlson
-- 
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
[email-masked]              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~scarlso1/     : chant the words.  -- Shujing 2.35