Subject: Re: John TR available

From: [email-masked] (Vincent Broman)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 13:45:22 PDT

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

My thanks also to Bruce Morrill for making the IGNTP John TR available.

Seeing the recent discussion on differences between TRs, I tried comparing
the IGNTP John TR with the OnLine Bible Stephanus 1550 from Robinson.
Aside from a large number of movable nu's and sigma's present only in
the OLB John, I found seven significant differences between them, one grave.
These differences should be authoritatively checked in order to ensure
the integrity of future (and past) IGNTP collations.

In the IGNTP copy of Jn 1, verse 38 was accidentally split between
AUTOIS and TI and consequently the following verses in the chapter
are numbered one too high.

Loc	IGNTP					OLB		(TLG encoding)
04:50	EIPEN AUTW O				EIPEN AUTW
08:04	KATELHFQH				KATEILHFQH
08:09	KAQEIS					KAQ EIS
13:30	OTE OUN ECHLQE <start vs 31>		<start vs 31> OTE ECHLQEN
16:33	ECETE					EXETE
19:07	UION TOU				UION

Vincent Broman             Email: [email-masked]                    =   o     
2224 33d St.               Phone: +1 619 284 3775                  =  _ /- _   
San Diego, CA  92104-5605  Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W     =  (_)> (_)  
___ PGP protected mail preferred.  For public key finger [email-masked] ___

---

From: Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:51:13 -0500 (CDT)

> are numbered one too high.

Vincent:  Thanks for checking this.  I'll double-check all that you
mentioned.  Jn 1:38, however, was deliberately split.  The Oxford TR, as
with many versions of the TR, does not clearly delineate verse divisions. 
This leads to numerous errors, whether in contemporary collations or when
checking collations from the past supposedly against the TR.  The IGNTP,
in order to reduce errors, deliberately put out a version that made all
verse divisions crystal clear.  Although anyone may argue with our
choices, the result did not change the Oxford TR *text* while definitively
eliminating this source of error in IGNTP sponsored collations. 

Bruce Morrill   [email-masked]

---

From: Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:59:20 -0500 (CDT)

> the integrity of future (and past) IGNTP collations.

Other than versification, as discussed previously, the IGNTP John TR is 
identical to the 1873 TR in each of these 7 "TR variants".

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 12:04:12

In <Pine.3.89.9604221833.A3735-0100000@hilbert>, on 04/22/96 at 06:59 PM,
   Bruce  <[email-masked]> said:
Hello I think that you should check it one more time   ....  ;) If I am
not mistaken Maurice Robinson included his Greek NT and  not Stephanus
1550 right?    My meaning is that both of them  are included but his is
the Byz txt 
There is already too much confusion concerning his text

>> Seeing the recent discussion on differences between TRs, I tried compari
>> the OLB John, I found seven significant differences between them, one gr

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]
That is my email address
However my name is Jim
Brought to you by S.S.R. <Stamp out Soap-Box Rhetoric.... ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:06:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> the Byz txt. There is already too much confusion concerning his text

What is being discussed is my electronic version of the Stephens 1550 
text which is available on the Online Bible as well as in ASCII form from 
Vincent's site.  My own Byzantine Greek text is also available, but it is 
the Stephens 1550 text which is the point under discussion.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~