Subject: ms identification schemes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 16:06:07 +0100

The computer network problems disconnected me for nearly two weeks. So, I just 
recently got all (?) the mail from that time.
 
On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Maurice Robinson wrote:

>Aland's _Kurzgefasste Liste_ (1963) has a conversion section >between not 
>only von Soden and Gregory-Aland numbers, but Tischendorf and 
>Greg.-Aland, and Scrivener and Greg.-Aland. (Other very early >editions 
>are also included, but are basically no longer relevant). The new >edition 
>of the _K.Liste_ will presumably have the same conversion data.  >Perhaps 
>Ulrich can confirm this?

My be someone else checked this too, but I can confirm Maurice's suggestion. The 
new edition of the _Kurzgefasste Liste_ (1994) includes the same conversion 
data.

Maurice further wrote [quoting Adair]:

>> and in particular, is there an electronic version of such a
>> list?  

>I'll bet they have one in Muenster *;-)  Question is, will they >permit 
>uploading it for scholarly purposes to scholar.cc.emory.edu for >the benefit of 
participants of this list? 

Allthough I am no member of the Institute here in Muenster, I suspect that it is 
no longer up to them to give permission to uploading or copying such a list. The 
copyright of books or parts of books is after publication (in fact, after 
signing a contract) not held by the authors anymore, but by the publisher. This 
was the first thing I had to learn, when signing a contract with the publisher.

Ulrich, Muenster

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

> was the first thing I had to learn, when signing a contract with the publisher.

Of course it depends upon the contractual arrangements the Institut has 
made with its publisher.  You might ask to see whether the Institut could 
get permission for the limited reproduction of that conversion table from 
the Kurzgefasste Liste; the main question is whether for scholarly 
purposes they would be in favor of making such a request.

In any event, through the courtesy of our library services here, I have
had the relevant data (conversion tables for Tischendorf and Von Soden)
scanned in from C.R.Gregory's Textkritik volume (1908), which is now in
the public domain.

I am currently correcting the scanning errors and re-aligning the columns
etc. into final form.  Once completed, I will compare and correct these
data with both Von Soden as well as Kraft, Krueger, and the K.Liste
itself, and post the result to the tc-list ftp site for any and all to use
as public domain resource material (I also have the K.Liste data scanned
for electronic comparison use, but of course will not post that data
unless permission can be secured from Muenster and/or from the
publishers). 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~