Subject: Re: Byzantine text

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:49:50 -0700

>Subject: Re: Byzantine text
>
>Waltz:
>
>>>> the Vulgate has a Byzantine element (a very strong one in the
>>>> gospels, less so in the Epistles)
>
>Robinson:
>
>>>The Vulgate remains Alexandrian in character even in the gospels.
>
>>This statement I WILL NOT concede. I know it's been repeated time and
>>again -- but repetition is not the same as truth. The vulgate gospels
>>have a mixed text, with both Alexandrian and "Western" elements, but
>>the Byzantine element is very strong. I do not say that they ARE
>>Byzantine -- but to call them Alexandrian is absurd.
>>I will present statistics if needed.
>
>I also have statistics based upon a complete comparative study of all 
>regularly cited MSS in the UBS2 edition (made over 20 years ago), and I 
>will be happy to summarize those results as well, which indicate (to 
>the best of my recollection without reviewing the data packed away in 
>various file folders) the Vulgate to be more Alexandrian than any 
>other, with the next most significant degree of mixture to be Western.

I, for one, would like to see the SPECIFIC statistics for this from
both parties. I appreciate what Waltz posted, but the only way for me
to be sure of his statistics is to have the citations/collation
information, esp., since the current wisdom is that the vulgate is
Alexandrian. Since something like that would be very long, perhaps it
could be posted to the TC Journal; Jim Adair says he's looking for
submissions.

***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept                  Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

> could be posted to the TC Journal; Jim Adair says he's looking for

The samples I posted are a very small portion of my data (the Acts 
summary regarding the Vulgate is one small segment of my 374-pp Th.M. 
thesis on the text of Acts).  Somehow I don't think Jimmy or anyone else 
really wants to see ALL the data, nor would either of us have time 
available to convert it all into electronic form.  I do intend for myself 
to finish off the final evaluation of the gospel material in a manner 
similar to what I did on Acts, and this will be done in electronic 
format, so there is some possibility for the resultant summary to be 
presented as a downloadable ftp file, but not much more from my side.

It really would be simpler all around to provide summary data upon request
for any regularly-cited witness within the UBS edition, or the percentage
of agreement data for any two witnesses within any given book from
Matt-Acts.  
_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.  Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~