Subject: Re: AV readings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 20:07:51 -0400

Does anyone know of any Greek MSS that support the following
readings in the Authorized Version?

Acts 19:20--"the word of God" (AV) vs. "the word of the Lord" (Greek)
2 Tim 1:18--"ministered unto me" (AV) vs. "ministered" (Greek)
Heb 10:23--"profession of our faith" (AV) vs. "profession of our hope"
(Greek)

Thanks,
James D. Price

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 00:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Heb 10:23--"profession of our faith" (AV) vs. "profession of our hope"

Von Soden gives the following for "God" in Ac.19:20 -- (Ia1 group) d5f 382
(ia2 group) 173 252-d459 (Ia3 group) d507, old latin (european, african in
hiatus).  Following Kraft, this translates to the Gregory-Aland MSS D E
915 623 1873 489 and 241.  There may be others, since p.1979 in the
prolegomena is also referenced by VS.  Tischendorf gives in his own
numbering scheme (D) E 21 73 106** k-scr vg sah-txt. I do not have the
minuscule conversion key for Tisch here, but I suspect some of the same
minuscules are indicated. 

In 2Tim.1.18, VS gives for the addition of MOI: (Ia1 group) 65; 
(Ia3) 64 216 d259 d505f bohairic Theodotion, and reading "EN MOI"
is (Ic1) 1436 and sy-h.  The Greek MSS here translate into 1836 1845 256 
330 69 and 462, with EN MOI in 2005.  Tischendorf gives (again in his 
numbering), 31 37 46 73 109 116 it-f it-g vg-cl ... syr-utr cop arm eth 
Theodoret Ambrosiaster and Pelagius, the Greek MSS of which may be 
identical to VS.

In Heb.10:23, PISTEWS is read in (H group) d6 (Ia1 group) 70 (Ic1 group) 
158, which translates to MSS Psi, 1898, and 1245.   Tisch. gives nothing 
on this point.

Hope this helps somewhat.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~