Subject: Re: UBS 4

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:10:11 -0400 (EDT)

Posted on behalf of Harold P. Scanlin, who could not get through previously:

On 30 Apr 1996, Harold P. Scanlin wrote:

The first printing of UBS GNT 4 (1993) has been superceded by by the "2nd print"
of 1994, in which some improvement of readability was achieved by using a more
opaque paper with better ink absorption, although it still uses the very light
weight typeface.  The 2nd print is is slight improvement, but it is hoped that
at some future date a better typeface will be used.  In the meantime, ABS
carries the 2nd print and should be the only printing currently being shipped.
 
Regarding the A-D ratings, is is a gross oversimplification to say that they
merely represent the voting score of the committee, i.e. A = (near unanimous,
etc.  Frequently a letter rating actually represents a consensus view of the
committee that a particular reading has a degree of certainty that it is an
"original" reading as expressed in the A-D rating.  Often the nature of the vote
can be inferred from what Metzger says in his Textual Commentary.  No matter
what the case, the rating system can be especially useful to many translators
who are not trained in textual criticism and who are the primary target audience
for GNT.  No one claims that the committee's rating is the last word on the
subject, but I think it is quite useful to know what for or five of the best
known textual critics think.  At least the evidence is presented in as objective
a fashion as possible for another generation to come to their own conclusions.
 
During the time the Emory system was down, I posted a note on the reason why GNT
4 cited the variant at Jn 9:38, explaining that the GNT principles for inclusion
is motivated by the needs of translators.  This note did show up in the resume
lists.
 
Harold P. Scanlin
UBS, New York