Subject: Re:UBS 4

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

>     Second, so you still like the UBS apparatus, but wish the UBS-style
>     editions to be eliminated. 

I only enjoy having a larger conspectus of the evidence available for 
some of the most significant readings.  I would be equally pleased if the 
Nestle apparatus were as complete with its regularly-cited witnesses.  
Beginning with N26, however, one indeed _can_ utilize the Nestle 
apparatus to estimate a far larger contingent of witnesses that had been 
the case in previous editions (one has to carefully read the preface 
instructions to do this successfully, however, since much has to be done 
by deduction and not by explicit testimony).  

In light of this by-deduction situation with N26/27, I really see little
need for the UBS editions to remain in print, since only about 1450
significant variants are cited as opposed to 5-6 thousand variants in N27. 
If the Bible Societies are concerned with producing a "translators'
edition", then the original format of the Greek-English diglot for
translators should be revived and adapted to the N27 text.  Those who need
to check and evaluate variant readings can always turn to N27. 

>     Even though I realize that the certainty
>     grades included in the UBS editions are subjective (but carefully studied
>     by the committee), I still rely on them a great deal. I really miss them
>     in my new NA27; that's why I want a readable UBS4, as well. 

To tell the truth, I totally ignore the "certainty grades", since in
reality they basically reflect the vote of the 5-member committee: all
agreed, certainty "A"; one differing, certainty "B"; two differing
certainty "C"; a great deal of difference, certainty "D" -- in the end,
that really describes what the certainty grades are all about -- merely
substituting a majority of a 5-member scholarly team for the majority of
MSS, and coming up with equally subjective results.

>     I'd be in
>     favor of not having two separate editions, UBS and NA, which have the
>     same text, but combining their apparatus(es) to keep the best of both.
>     Is that similar to your thinking?

Not at all.  Keep only N27 and forget the graded evaluations entirely 
would be my position.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~