Subject: UBS 4

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:18:35 -0400 (EDT)

[Posted on behalf of Wayne Leman of SIL who could not get this message 
through to the listserver:]

     I ordered a copy of UBS4 a few months ago, to update from my UBS3. It
     came with a different font from that of UBS3. The UBS4 font was much
     harder (for my aging eyes) to read. The letters were scrawny. I had heard
     that the first printing of UBS4 had that scrawny font, and that so many
     had complained that a second printing was made. However when I called ABS
     in NYC they searched their stocks and could only find copies with the
     scrawny font. I got the impression from some messages elsewhere that if,
     indeed, there has been a new printing, it would be available now from
     Germany where it was printed, and would likely be available through ABS
     only when their stocks of the first printing were depleted. Someone gave
     me the name of a chap who travels between Germany and the U.S. who could
     get a copy for me, but I simply have been unable to find that message.
 
     1. Would any of you know if there has been another printing of UBS4 which
     has the tradition UBS Greek text bolder printing?
 
     2. If so, where is it available and price?
 
     I gave my UBS4 to my college daughter who can use it for her Greek class.
     (She said she could read it OK with her eyes.) I then ordered NA27, which
     has a better font than the UBS4 I had.  I miss the UBS4 apparatus,
     however, and would still like to get a copy, if it can be one with bolder
     type.
 
     Thanks,
     Wayne
 
     [email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:26:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
>     harder (for my aging eyes) to read. The letters were scrawny. 

That font was so bad that I have refused to buy the UBS 4, let alone
recommend my students to buy such.  Personally, I enjoy having the UBS
apparatus at least for the selected readings, due to its fulness of
citation of evidence.  However, I really think that now is the time for
the Bible Societies simply to eliminate UBS 4 or any future UBS-style
editions in that format and to publish only the N27 as their main critical
edition. This will save money and provide a more thorough conspectus of
the evidence for those who would use such. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~