Subject: Re: Waite just a minute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 22:00:25 -0400

In a message dated 96-04-27 18:54:59 EDT, Dave wrote concerning D.A. Waite:

> The King James was good enough for John the 
>Baptist so it's good enough for me and anybody who doesn't revere the 
>King James is going straight to hell.<

While I am certainly no "King James only" fellow, nor do I know Dr. Waite but
I would like to see one of his articles from his paper that ever said the
above.  Getting a little dramatic are we not? Dealing in hyperboles, perhaps?

I thought is was only the "KJ only" people who made wild statements.

>Oh, yes, about the "Dr." part: something he doesn't advertise in his 
>writings or his interviews is that his doctorate has nothing to do 
>with textual criticism, Greek or anything else related to the 
>biblical materials; it's in speech.

Only knowing what I have read, it is true his Dr.'s is in speech, but (and it
is one of those but's that makes people...) he does have the following hours
in languages from  the U. of MI and Dallas Theological Sem. - 25 semester
hours in Hebrew; 66 semester hours in Greek; (you can add, that 91 hours)
plus he has 27 additional hours in other languages such as Spanish, Latin,
and French.  So, how many semester hours of languages did you take in school?
 True perhaps he may not know anything about Greek or TC. and his "paper"
maybe be absurdities in your opinion as well a many others, but my, how
foolish you sound.

Lesson:  I think it is obvious.

Mark Langley, Pastor
Leighton, AL

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 20:42:54 -7

> above.  Getting a little dramatic are we not? Dealing in hyperboles, perhaps?

If you had read his papers, you wouldn't have made such a suggestion. 
He accused anyone who didn't use the KJV, in so many words, of being 
corrupt, possibly gnostic, led by the devil, and quite probably not 
even a true Christian.  If you haven't seen the material, I don't 
really think you have any business making these kinds of statements 
about me.

> I thought is was only the "KJ only" people who made wild statements.

Again, since you seem to be speaking from ignorance of the subject, I 
will let this pass.

> and French.  So, how many semester hours of languages did you take in school?

Plenty.  Based on his writings, he apparently didn't learn very much. 
The biblical languages are my specialty; I read 5 living languages 
and 7 dead ones.  You?

> maybe be absurdities in your opinion as well a many others, but my, how

Pot and kettle, Mark.  You say you haven't even seen his writings, 
the ones to which I refer, yet you proclaim yourself an authority 
qualified to judge my comments about them.  Waite is a crackpot, pure 
and simple, and his writings say what I said they did.

> Lesson:  I think it is obvious.

Yes, it is: if you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps it's 
better to keep quiet.
Dave
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
"If you love something, set it free.  If it returns, 
you haven't lost it.  If it disappears and never comes back,
then it wasn't truly yours to begin with.  And if it just
sits there watching television, unaware that it's been set
free, you probably already married it."