Subject: More Thiede

From: [email-masked] (Nichael Lynn Cramer)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:33:44 -0500 (EST)

DC PARKER wrote:
>I have neither met nor read any palaeographer or papyrologist who
>gives any credence whatever to Thiede's claims about the Magdalen
>papyrus of Matthew.  My own criticisms are in The Expository Times
>for last November (Vol. 107), pp. 40-43.  His work is simply peripheral
>to what is being done in the study of NT MSS.
>DC PARKER

As a footnote:  Yesterday I received my copy of the new NYTimes Book Review
(dated 7APR96 --i.e. Easter Sunday) which contains a 2/3-page add for yet
another book by Thiede on this topic.

The ad is topped by large, headline-ish letters: "WHAT IF PROOF OF JESUS'
LIFE WAS THERE ALL ALONG BUT NO ONE NOTICED...    UNTIL NOW."

The book is title _Eyewitness to Jesus_ and is subtitled "Amazing New
Manuscript Evidence About the Origin of the Gospels" and is co-authored by
Thiede and Matthew O'Ancona (who I assume is a journalist/ghostwriter?)

The accompanying copy begins "Is there finally material proof that the
Gospel of Matthew is the account of an eyewitness to Jesus?" and ends
"...recount[s] the fascinating story of a discovery that rivals that of the
Dead Sea Scrolls."  Following this are two gushing blurbs from the famous
papyrological journals Time and The Times (London).  ;-)

The book is being published by Anchor[? *] Doubleday.  Also noted is that
the book will be offered as alternate selections by the Book of the Month
Club and One Spirit Book Club.

    [* Note: I _think_ it's Anchor Doubleday. What the ad actually says is
             "Doubleday" preceeded by an anchor-symbol, although the word
Anchor
             does not appear as it usually does.]

Nichael
[email-masked]                                               __
http://www.sover.net/~nichael              Be as passersby   -- IC