Subject: Text decisions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:15:52 -0500

In a recent posting (which I failed to save!) there was mention made of
decisions made as to which variants to include in the various editions of the
GNT.  (Or this, it seemed to me, was the gist of the posting).

I wrote Kurt Aland some years ago and he was kind enough to respond with some
anecdotal material concerning the process of selection.  I don't know if the
writer of the aforementioned post is looking for that kind of info or not.
 But I would be happy to supply what Dr. Aland wrote me. (its in German,
however, which is why I haven't just transcribed it and saved everyone the
trouble of reading this!; as I do not know if it is wanted or if it is of
interest to those with facility in German).
If you want me to, I will post the letter.

Jim
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Professor of Biblical Languages, CCBI

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 02:04:09 -0500 (EST)

> If you want me to, I will post the letter.

Please do, either translated or in the original German.  

Knowing that the UBS edition claimed its variants were considered to be
those "of significance to translators", I would be especially interested
if Prof.Aland had other reasons to mention in addition, since some of the
criticisms of the UBS edition were in regard to the "insignificant" 
nature of some of the variants selected while other more significant
readings were totally omitted.  

I also would be interested in any comments he may have offered regarding
the selection of variants included in N26/27, though I suspect there only
a broad compendium was in view (the Munster people can help out on that
one). 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Don Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 02:14:39 +0000

Jim,
I for one would like to see the letter; I'm sure it is interesting and I 
need to refresh my German from time to time anyway.

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside