Subject: Re: Mic 1:2

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:13:27 -7

Jim West wrote:
> The MT of Micah 1:2b  has "wihi adonay YHWH" while the Qumran text has "YHWH
> adonay yihyeh".
> It seems that this variant could easily arise from one or the other scribe
> misreading his "waw" for a "yod" and vice-versa.
> 
> IS this likely, in your opinion(s)?

Which Qumran text are you looking at?  Though actually I only know of 
one, 1QpMic, published in DJD 1.  According to my records it pretty 
much follows the MT and most of the variants cited are based on 
proposed reconstructions.  Can you toss out a little more info?

To reply to your question, from what I have seen of WAW and YOD in 
the majority of the DSS, it's very possible.  The letters are written 
virtually identically, and in some instances they are absolutely 
identical (the Great Isaiah Scroll is a notable exception).  
Considering this, it's equally possible that the Qumran document 
actually reads the same as the MT and an editor mis-read it!
Dave
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
"I've gone to find myself.  If I get back 
before I get back, please keep me here."