Subject: Re:UBS 4

From: [email-masked] (Don Wilkins)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 16:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

Maurice wrote:

>To tell the truth, I totally ignore the "certainty grades", since in
>reality they basically reflect the vote of the 5-member committee: all
>agreed, certainty "A"; one differing, certainty "B"; two differing
>certainty "C"; a great deal of difference, certainty "D" -- in the end,
>that really describes what the certainty grades are all about -- merely
>substituting a majority of a 5-member scholarly team for the majority of
>MSS, and coming up with equally subjective results.

Maurice's point is well-taken, given the likelihood that many Greek
students (and perhaps not a few translators) take the grades seriously. On
the other hand, I think Metzger's _Textual_Commentary_ is very interesting
and helpful, especially since he includes (mostly his own) dissenting
opinions. I only wish the commentary were complete.

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside