Subject: Re: new leaves of Codex Sinaiticus?

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:56:47 -0400

I'm not sure...  A missing folio of Syr-cur has, apparently, been found and
published:  D.L. McConaughy, "A Recently Discovered Folio of the Old Syriac
(Syc) Text of Luke 16,13-17,1," in Biblica 68 (1987), 85-88.  The folio fits
(size, text, paleography, etc.) exactly into a lacuna in Syr-c.  It was
found by McConaughy in the Deir el Suryan monastery in the Wadi el Natrun in
Egypt in November, 1985.

Is this what you're thinking of, or does someone else know of lost folia of
Codex Sinaiticus, as referenced in Jimmy's original post??

Petersen--Penn State University

>Because of the mailing list problems we've been having, I'm re-posting my 
>message from last week.
>
>**************************************************************************
>I seem to recall hearing recently (was it on this list?) that additional 
>leaves of Codex Sinaiticus had been discovered at St. Catherine's 
>monastery in the past few years.  Can anyone verify or deny this?  If 
>true, have they been published?
>
>Jimmy Adair
>Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
>    and
>Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
>---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------
>
>
>
>
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Vincent Broman)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 16:11:02 PDT

The following was posted to b-greek a ways back.
Charlesworth saw the Sinaiticus leaves more than ten years ago.

______________________________________________________________________
From: "Bart D. Ehrman" <[email-masked]>
To: New Testament Greek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Codex Sinaiticus

   My recollection of a conversation with Charlesworth
from some years ago is that all of the "new"
leaves of Sinaiticus are from the Old Testament and that
there were no new NT mss discovered at the monastery.

-- Bart D. Ehrman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
______________________________________________________________________

The NA26 appendix, I think, lists some MSS as being at Sinai,
with unknown contents but numbers assigned.

The new Old Syriac leaf was added at the last minute to the IGNTP apparatus.

Vincent Broman             Email: [email-masked]                    =   o     
2224 33d St.               Phone: +1 619 284 3775                  =  _ /- _   
San Diego, CA  92104-5605  Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W     =  (_)> (_)  
___ PGP protected mail preferred.  For public key finger [email-masked] ___