Subject: Jn 9.38 Text

From: [email-masked] (Bennie R. Crockett, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 19:16:20 -0600

In the UBS 4th ed., an alternate reading for Jn 9.38 occurs that is 
not cited in the UBS 1st ed., UBS 3rd ed., UBS 3rd corr. ed., 
N-A, 26th ed., and N-A, 27th ed. [I do not have the UBS 2nd ed. at hand]

Although this eleventh century lectionary reading certainly is secondary,
I am wondering _why_ the UBS editors might have chosen to include this 
variant, especially in light of the fact that it is absent from the 
editions cited above.  Dr. Metzger does not address this issue in his
_Textual Commentary_.

Also, does anyone know if this reading is included in other critical
editions as an alternate reading?  If so, which ones?

================================================================================
Bennie R. Crockett, Jr. 
Professor of Religion and Philosophy
Assoc. VP, Academic Programs
William Carey College
Hattiesburg, MS 
USA

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 01:58:06 -0500 (EST)

> N-A, 26th ed., and N-A, 27th ed. [I do not have the UBS 2nd ed. at hand]

Since I do not have the UBS4 (a protest against the horrendous typeface 
selected for the main text), could you inform us as to the reading of 
this sole eleventh-century lectionary so that we might be able to 
evaluate the editors' choice in this matter?

> editions cited above.  Dr. Metzger does not address this issue in his

I am wondering also, unless one of the members of the UBS4 committee 
might have a specific interest from the point of view of rigorous 
eclecticism, or unless a recent article dealt with such reading (a pity 
Keith Elliott is not on the internet!).

> editions as an alternate reading?  If so, which ones?

It might be in Tischendorf or Von Soden, but I would first have to know 
precisely which reading it is before I look up those references.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~