Subject: Re: The long ending of Mark

From: [email-masked] (Carlton L. Winbery)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 18:08:52 +0400

Don,
I might add that I later worked through Mann's commentary on Mark in the
Anchor Bible written from the perspective of the Greisback hypothesis.  His
difficulty in making sense of the text and laborous efforts to explain
Mark's method convinced me that his was a wasted interprize.
Grace,
Carlton
END

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Don Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 17:43:44 +0000

> Mark's method convinced me that his was a wasted interprize.

Thanks, Carlton. I also want to apologize if my last message seemed 
a bit abrupt; it was only because I thought your "END" closing was 
meant to let me know that you did not want to discuss the matter 
further, and I see that I probably misconstrued.
I do a lot of research with computer programming, and one thing I 
would like to explore is stylometric computer analysis. I'm not sure 
that it would have value for the synoptic problem, but it has been 
used a good deal for evaluating authorship problems etc. in classical 
literature. 
Thanks again. It's a pleasure to follow your discussions and I will 
continue to do so, hopefully getting up to speed in the process.

Don Wilkins

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 00:27:25 -0500 (EST)

> Mark's method convinced me that his was a wasted interprize.

Carlton, have you also worked through and evaluated Eta Linnemann's and 
John Wenham's current claims regarding the issue of eyewitness testimony 
as opposed to literary dependency?  Even though Linnemann is 
theologically driven, she nevertheless presents a mass of data with which 
scholars must deal if they are to hold to Markan priority and the Q 
hypothesis.

(I realize this discussion is getting off the track of textual criticism, 
so I will forego further discussion on these matters).

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~