Subject: Re: Acts 9:5

From: [email-masked] (Robert B. Waltz)
Date: Sun, 5 May 96 16:58 CDT

On Sun, 5 May 1996, [email-masked] wrote:

>Can someone comment on the phrase in Acts 9.5-6
>
>SKLHRON SOI PROS KENTRA LAKTIZEIN....KAI O KURIOS PROS AUTON
>
>I'm currently teaching Acts in my SS class. I've noticed that many
>commentators use this phrase to suggest an inward conviction of Paul prior
>to his conversion. Since the "Standard" text (and translations thereof) does
>not include the phrase, I am puzzled as to its history. What MS evidence is
>there in support of it? Am I correct in assuming that since my UBS-4 does
>not even address it, that the evidence for it is negligible?
>

The evidence is slight, but not negligible. These words, or variations,
are found in E 431 629 gig h p t vg-am,bam,cav,sang*,val,CL syp syh** mae
geo. However, the position of the words varies widely.

Since D is defective here, it would seem that this is a "Western" reading.
(Notice that, of the three Greek witnesses to include the reading, two --
E and 629 -- are Greek-Latin diglots.)

The reason for the insertion is not hard to find: The words are
derived from the parallel in Acts 26:14.

I hope this helps.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]