Subject: Acts 9:5

From: "Mark E. Burrill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 17:06:32 -0400

Can someone comment on the phrase in Acts 9.5-6

SKLHRON SOI PROS KENTRA LAKTIZEIN....KAI O KURIOS PROS AUTON

I'm currently teaching Acts in my SS class. I've noticed that many
commentators use this phrase to suggest an inward conviction of Paul prior
to his conversion. Since the "Standard" text (and translations thereof) does
not include the phrase, I am puzzled as to its history. What MS evidence is
there in support of it? Am I correct in assuming that since my UBS-4 does
not even address it, that the evidence for it is negligible?

Thank You

Mark E. Burrill
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:36:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Mark E. Burrill wrote:

> Am I correct in assuming that since my UBS-4 does

I agree with Bob Waltz that the evidence is not "negligible", since it 
does reflect a certain Western understanding of the text.  However, I 
also would be swift to point out that the inclusion of the phrase in 
Ac.9:5f is _not_ part of the Byzantine Textform, even though it is 
included in the various TR editions.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~