Subject: OT Quantitative Analysis

From: [email-masked] (Mark OBrien)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 08:32:05 CST

Just to change the subject a little from current discussions...

Can anybody steer me towards any (if any?) books or articles describing attempts
to conduct quantitative analysis of Hebrew MSS?  Of special interest to me is
any such work done with the Qumran biblical materials.  I'm not even sure if
anyone has ever worked up a way of doing this with the Hebrew MSS.  Any leads
would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,

Mark O'Brien
Dallas Theological Seminary
----
"To be ignorant of what happened before you were born is ever to remain a
child." -- Cicero

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:10:01 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know specifically whether anything has been published that
analyzes different Hebrew mss quantitatively, and I'd also be interested
to learn if anything has been published.  (I argued in my article that
appeared in TC that OT text critics have not done the kind of in-depth
comparative analysis of mss that their NT counterparts have done--see par.
33).  One possible source for some data, however, might be the University
of Stellenbosch, where Johann Cook and others were involved with a "Qumran
Database Project" a few years ago.  Is this project still ongoing, and, if
so, what results have been gleaned to this point? 

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: Sigrid Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 06:50:31 -0400 (EDT)

I dimly recall reading *of* work done by Moshe Goshen-Gottstein, in
surveying about a thousand medieval mss of the Hebrew-Aramaic text of
Jewish Scriptures. I don't have access to my books this week,so I can't
check this out myself, but I'd look first in Cross and Talmon's
<book>Qumran and the Biblical Text </>, and then in Yeivin's
<book>Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah </>, if not found in the 
former source.

Sigrid Peterson   UPenn   [email-masked]