Subject: Re: Local texts

From: DC PARKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:18:41 GMT

On June 6, Robert Waltz wrote of my comments on local texts 
"Without denying this point, I fail to see how it affects things...  Even 
the Latin witnesses are fragmentary. So our knowledge of that local 
text is weak."

It depends what you mean by 'weak'.  Incomplete, yes.  But I was 
trying to emphasize that we can find out about the character of MSS 
and about local texts by palaeographical as well as textual analysis.  
And there is a great deal more information waiting for someone to dig 
it out.

With regard to the origins of the Vatican collections, I would agree 
only to the extent of accepting that Rome is closer than Ann Arbor to 
Calabria.

David Parker
DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]