Subject: new TC article by Dave Washburn

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 12:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

We have a new article in TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism:

David L. Washburn, "The King Is Weeping: A Textual/Grammatical Note on 2 
Sam 19:2"

Abstract: The coordination of a participle and an imperfect with
waw-consecutive in the report to Joab in 2 Sam 19:2 is unusual, but
commentators generally explain it simply as a variation from the norm, if
they treat it at all. Others follow the lead of two MT mss, P, and T and
repoint the second verb as a participle. However, the lack of any true
parallel to this structure elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible raises the
possibility of an alternative explanation: the waw-consecutive phrase is
not part of the direct speech, but rather continues the flow of the
narrative.

To see it, visit the TC home page (URL given below).  Also, let me 
encourage the members of this list to submit articles for publication in 
TC (we could use some NT articles to balance out the OT articles!).  For 
those new to the list, TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism 
is a peer-reviewed electronic journal with an international editorial 
board.  All proposed articles can be submitted directly to me.

Jimmy Adair
General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 00:25:13

In
<[email-masked]>,
on 06/05/96 
   at 12:11 PM, "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
said:

---We have a new article in TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual
---Criticism:
Sure Is it okay If I nominate Maurice Robinson to submit some of
his stuff?   

---David L. Washburn, "The King Is Weeping: A Textual/Grammatical
---Note on 2  Sam 19:2"

---Abstract: The coordination of a participle and an imperfect
---with waw-consecutive in the report to Joab in 2 Sam 19:2 is
---unusual, but commentators generally explain it simply as a
---variation from the norm, if they treat it at all. Others
---follow the lead of two MT mss, P, and T and repoint the second
---verb as a participle. However, the lack of any true parallel
---to this structure elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible raises the
---possibility of an alternative explanation: the waw-consecutive
---phrase is not part of the direct speech, but rather continues
---the flow of the narrative.

---To see it, visit the TC home page (URL given below).  Also,
---let me  encourage the members of this list to submit articles
---for publication in  TC (we could use some NT articles to
---balance out the OT articles!).  For  those new to the list,
---TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism  is a
---peer-reviewed electronic journal with an international
---editorial  board.  All proposed articles can be submitted
---directly to me.

---Jimmy Adair
---General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
---------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----

-- 
Respond to Jim at the following address
----------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------