Subject: Re: Mk 14:72

From: [email-masked] (William Petersen)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 15:28:08 -0400

>On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Jim West wrote:
>
>>Could someone please explain to me how D, 565, etc read ERXATO for EPIBALON
>>at the end of the verse.
>
>I wish someone could explain to me how EPIBALWN is to be understood. HRXATO  
>simply smoothes away the problems with EPIBALWN (cf. Cranfield loc.cit.).
>
>Ulrich Schmid, Muenster 
>
>
Yes, and, picking up another thread in recent discussions, see also BAG
under EPIBALLO (I have only the older edition at hand [1957], where it is on
p. 289-90, under "2.b"), where BAG note:  "The mng. of  KAI EPIBALON EKLAIEN
Mk 14:72 is in doubt...which latter sense is supported by the v.l. HRKSATO
KLAIEIN in D theta, as well as the it., syr. sin."  Note that the D reading
is again supported by the Old Latins and the Old Syriac.  Perhaps, as Dr.
Schmid suggests, a smoothing, but then a very early one;  perhaps somethings
else...

Cheers!  --Petersen, Penn State Univ.