Subject: Mk 15:45

From: [email-masked] (alexander mirkovic)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

Thank you Vincent for clarifying some points in my question. Part of the
confusion with the interchanging readings SWMA/PTWMA comes from the comment
in Bauer which reads (under the entry PTWMA):

Mt 14:12 and Mk 15:45 have SWMA (instead of PTWMA), a more dignified word.

This is strange since Bauer knows that SWMA is used to denote the dead body
since Homer. The entry SWMA makes  this clear:

SWMA 1. body of man or animal-a.) dead body, corpse (so always in Homer and
often later)

Therefore, it is not the case that SWMA is more "dignified" than PTWMA.
The logical conlusion is that SWMA and PTWMA were used as dialectical
variants (no cognates, naturally).
        Carl Conrad made a comment on b-greek list the that Alexandrians
used the word SWMA to refer to Alexander's tomb. The manuscripts from Egypt,
in general, prefer the reading SWMA.
        Does anybody knows about some other pairs of dialectical variants
that cohere geographically with the local text types?

Regards,
Alexander
 ******************************************************************
 Alexander Mirkovic
 Ph.D. student in New Testament and Early Christianity
 Senior Teaching Fellow for Koine Greek at Vanderbilt University
 1410, 25th Ave. S. #1102-E
 Nashville, TN 37212
 ph. (615) 421-8331
                                     [email-masked],edu

 ******************************************************************