Subject: Re: Announcing "The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism"!

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:57:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Rich:

I'm excited by this project. I would suggest contacting Dr. James D. Price
at Temple Baptist Seminary ([email-masked]). He has a great deal of
material on the use of computers to reconstruct geneological trees of
various readings. If you could find room for a discussion of the "King James
Onlyism" in this Encyclopaedia, I would be happy to contribute any material
that I have on the subject

At 01:40 PM 8/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
>The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism
>A work whose time has come!  A volume that I always wished was on my shelf.
> A single work that would easily answer questions about NT TC.  The people,
>places, things, and dates that are relevant to the study and understanding of
>this Biblical discipline.  Made primarily for pastors and students new to
>this area of study, as well as for the scholar who could use a quick
>reference .
>The idea to create a volume that would serve this purpose was first conceived
>in 1992/93 while I was first learning exactly what textual criticism was.  As
>I collected as many texts as I could get my hands on ( I now have nearly 100
>volumes relevant to this area), It became apparent to me that there was a
>great need for such a volume.  I first researched if there was anything like
>this on the market.  To date I have found none.  I then began to make
>inquires to some scholars that I had been in contact with, such as: Bruce
>Metzger, Dan Wallace, Philip Comfort, J.K. Elliott, H.J. DeJonge, and David
>Alan Black.  Their collective response was that of encouragement.
> Encouragement for a work that some asked, "Why didn't I think of that?"  I
>felt honored that these great scholars thought so highly of a work that to me
>seemed like such a simple solution to the problem of easily referencing the
>history and current facts entailed in this discipline.  A volume that might
>become a standard reference work for this field. 
>Of course, such an immense work needs the diligent support from the scholars
>such as those listed, (I am currently awaiting responses from, Fee, Epp,
>Holmes, Ehrman and the Institute at Munster).  I will gladly accept any
>assistance from scholar and student alike.  So, I optimistically post this
>request to all those who enjoy and work in the field of NT TC.  I am hopeful
>that all those reading this will be as excited about this work as I am.  All
>subscribers to the TC-List (http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html)
>are welcome and encouraged to participate in this project and suggest any
>ideas.
>
>Rich E. Elliott
>Assistant Librarian, Simon Greenleaf University (RE [email-masked])
>
>
>
Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
Temple Baptist Seminary
Tennessee Temple University
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37404
423/493-4252 (phone) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked]

---

From: "James K. Tauber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 02:45:30 +0800 (WST)

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:
> various readings.

Hmm. I wonder if Dr Price knows about the ENTMP work. One of our goals is to 
facilitate just this very thing.

James K. Tauber <[email-masked]> http://www.entmp.org/people/jtauber
Associate Director, Electronic New Testament Manuscripts Project