Subject: Announcing "The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism"!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:40:34 -0400

The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism
A work whose time has come!  A volume that I always wished was on my shelf.
 A single work that would easily answer questions about NT TC.  The people,
places, things, and dates that are relevant to the study and understanding of
this Biblical discipline.  Made primarily for pastors and students new to
this area of study, as well as for the scholar who could use a quick
reference .
The idea to create a volume that would serve this purpose was first conceived
in 1992/93 while I was first learning exactly what textual criticism was.  As
I collected as many texts as I could get my hands on ( I now have nearly 100
volumes relevant to this area), It became apparent to me that there was a
great need for such a volume.  I first researched if there was anything like
this on the market.  To date I have found none.  I then began to make
inquires to some scholars that I had been in contact with, such as: Bruce
Metzger, Dan Wallace, Philip Comfort, J.K. Elliott, H.J. DeJonge, and David
Alan Black.  Their collective response was that of encouragement.
 Encouragement for a work that some asked, “Why didn’t I think of that?”  I
felt honored that these great scholars thought so highly of a work that to me
seemed like such a simple solution to the problem of easily referencing the
history and current facts entailed in this discipline.  A volume that might
become a standard reference work for this field. 
Of course, such an immense work needs the diligent support from the scholars
such as those listed, (I am currently awaiting responses from, Fee, Epp,
Holmes, Ehrman and the Institute at Munster).  I will gladly accept any
assistance from scholar and student alike.  So, I optimistically post this
request to all those who enjoy and work in the field of NT TC.  I am hopeful
that all those reading this will be as excited about this work as I am.  All
subscribers to the TC-List (http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html)
are welcome and encouraged to participate in this project and suggest any
ideas.

Rich E. Elliott
Assistant Librarian, Simon Greenleaf University (RE [email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:08:17 -0700

I am very excited about the proposed work.  Don't know that I can contribute anything worth while but if 
there is something I could do to assist, I would love to help.

Paul Lorenzen
Northern Sierra Bible Institute
==============================

>Assistant Librarian, Simon Greenleaf University (RE [email-masked])
============================
Paul Lorenzen -- Sparks, Nevada
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ptl/lorenzen.htm

Only one life, 'twill soon be past; 
only what's done for Christ will last!
============================

---

From: george howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 10:21:21 EDT

The NT text criticism volume sounds good.  I'd be glad to contribute to it.
                                                George Howard
                                                UGA