Subject: Re: Carbon dating

From: Jim Mendelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 11:45:54 -0700

> Another point: I don't know how many of you know how carbon-14 dating
> works, but it's based on the rate at which radioactive carbon 14
> breaks down. And, very disturbingly, it *doesn't work according to
> the theory.* That is, when one carbon dates something, the ratios
> of isotopes produce a theoretical date. Then the researcher *adjusts
> the date* to make up for the fact that, when objects of known date
> have been studied, the results don't match the theory.
> 
 
Your absolutely right.  And one of the biggest problems with C-14 dating
is that it is dated in a "perfect environment".  So no elements are allowed
during the breakdown period.  Think there ever was even one day in the
history of
the world that there was no temperature change, no weather change or no
chemical breakdown in the earth's atmosphere?  C-14 is nothing than a
process to show that the earth and its elements are older than the Bible
shows they are.
                                         In CHRIST,
                                             Jim

[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:10:59 -0700

>process to show that the earth and its elements are older than the Bible

I'm not going to touch *that* with a ten-metre pole (some of us have
scientific training, after all).

But I will observe that "temperature change," "weather change," and
"chemical breakdown" have no effect on the results of C-14 dating,
which is a nuclear process dependent *only* on the radioactive
behavior of C-14.

In general, I accept the accuracy of radiocarbon dating. Even the
wildest adjustments don't change the values by more than about 20%.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]