Subject: Re: Manuscripts

From: [email-masked] (Mark OBrien)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 14:02:34 CST

[email-masked] asked:
>     ... Are the collations we have in the apparatus of UBS4 and 
> NA27 not to be trusted?

One thing I have noticed on occasion is that when working out Gothic M (majority
readings), and using the tables in the back of NA, there are sometimes
references to a particular MS containing a verse, but when I've actually checked
a facsimile of the MS, it is sometimes missing the word/s in question.  This is
because those tables in the back of NA cite a MS as containing a verse, even if
only part of the verse is present, but the variant in question may not actually
be supported by that MS.

I'm curious to know whether anyone has ever written a program to automatically
calculate gothic M... given the fact that we actually have the bulk of the data
available, I don't think the algorithm itself would be too complex.

Regards,

Mark O'Brien
Dallas Theological Seminary
----