Subject: Re: Carbon dating (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 05:10:22 -0400

Jim Mendelson wrote to Jim adair:
>James--I know that you believe or trust C14 test, and may JESUS CHRIST
>bless you for that.  But make sure when you give references like you do
>for these issues, tell us weather or not the books or magazines are bias
>or not.  I am a creationist and I would never use National Geographic
>for a reference, even though they use some good material.  They are 100%
>evolution, so how can a Christian use them as a reference.  Science
>magazine is another example.  I belong to a Creation board and 1000's of
>scientist's around the globe don't use C14 because it is so inacurrate.
>Put a scroll in a dark cold place, put another in the sun and wind and
>rain.  2000 years later, which has dated more? 

Seems to me, in my Christian life, that the (secular) world of science
(evolutionarily biased as it may be) has done quite a bit of valid research
and discovery in fields such as archaeology and Near Eastern studies to
substantiate the validity of the Bible. Don't get me wrong; I'm a staunch
creationist (young Earth or old, doesn't matter).  I believe that the Bible
is God's 100% inspired Word, living and true.  But, if an atheistic scientist
supplies me with the evidence I need to destroy his presuppositional and a
priori argumentation, then I'll take it.  I don't care who comes up with the
evidence, but we as open minded and honest Christians should be willing to
examine the evidence and evaluate it for what it is worth.  No, I do not
expect to find any balanced reporting in National Geographic in terms of
theology, but they have printed things that have supported the Bible.  And
Mr. Mendelson, as far as I can see, 99% of all books are biased.  It is again
our job to evaluate them, point out errors and find the truth.  
It must be very frustrating to be an atheistic archaeologist.  I view their
frustration as God's pre-punishment to those (atheists and agnostics) seeking
to destroy His Word (or offer a means of salvation).  I have a little saying
to sum it up: The longer they dig, trying to bury God, they end up deeper and
deeper in a hole while supplying the world with more reasons to believe!
In His Service
Rich Elliott 
p.s. Where's any Mormon archaeologists???

---

From: Jim Mendelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:41:46 -0700

> p.s. Where's any Mormon archaeologists???
 
Rich--Excellent point.  I think, I know that my reply was taken way of
of context.
The very point that I was trying to make on C14 is that it is used in
the secular
world to PROLONG the date issue of any find.  When was the last time you
saw a 
published article on a fossil, text fragment, bone ect that was 2000
years old.  
Did you ever notice how the finds get older and older when the digs on
the 
contenents are digging parallel?  One reply to me was that he saw
nothing wrong
with C14 as long as it was in line with the 4000 years of the Bible.  As
a 
scientist, you can not pick and choose when to use a theory that man
uses in
line with "his" findings.  We as Christians have to stick together as
men of
GOD and not men of this world.  The Bible will stand on its own.  No
matter
what C14 comes up with on dating, the fact that GOD created this world
at a 
certain date, still stands.  This is the real challenge for the secular
world.
This is why most Christian Geologists don't use C14 because of the laws
that
govern it.  Sorry it the original note was taken out of context, but
flaming
doesn't help the botherhood, just hurts it.  GOD bless,

---

From: Hubert Arthur Bahr III <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 15:36:42 -0500

> Rich--Excellent point.  I think, I know that my reply was taken way of

Please continue this discussion off list.  It doesn't seem to be dealing 
with textual criticism any longer.  Thank you.

Hubert Arthur Bahr, III
hbahr3@.dhinternet.com or [email-masked]