Subject: Re: Software for NT TC??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 03:03:00 -0400

I think Jimmy Adair's suggestion is very good; that is to first get the NA26
and/or UBS3 for internet dissemination since these are no longer the profit
makers and would have no profit loss for the separate Bible societies.
For James and Tim at ENTMP, the electronic publication of these works seems
to me a paramount inclusion to their project (although I, as most, would
really want the most up-to-date version - NA27/UBS4).
Rich Elliott

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:28:14 -0700

>really want the most up-to-date version - NA27/UBS4).

I'm not sure I agree. Oh, an on-line version of the UBS text would
be nice, and the apparatus nicer still -- but I actually already
*have* the UBS text in electronic form (Zondervan sells it). And
if I need to consult the apparatus, I have both UBS3 and UBS4.
What's more, the text is readily and inexpensively available for
those who need it.

But how about a collation of, say, 6, or 33, or 424, or 1175, or
1739? The only one of those that's available at my local seminary
library is 1739 -- and even that has some defects.

So I would argue that the ENTMP should start by making collations
available, not commonly-available editions.

My own humble opinion, of course. :-)

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:05:18 -0400 (EDT)

> really want the most up-to-date version - NA27/UBS4).

Since the text (but not the apparatus) of the UBS3/N26 is identical to
that of the UBS4/N27, the same objections would be made to its
dissemination.  The facts are plain: most of those who are in it for the
money are proprietary to the core, and require absolute control over
anything they produce, even if it is 99.44% public domain material.  It is
not likely that such people will ever release anything for free and open
scholarly use. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Assoc. Prof./Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~