Subject: Romans Ch. 5-8

From: "Heidler, Wayne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:51:19 -0500

Dear List,

I apology if I over step the boundaries of this list. I just have a 
quick question, or what I may consider quick.  I have started in a 
Master's program and for my first semester I am taking Romans.  I have 
spoken with my professor and he has allowed me the opportunity of 
translating chapters 5-8, but
it must be a more critical translation than I have done before.  In the 
past I have dealt mainly with what part of speech, what gender, person, 
case....Then a rough translation moving to a smooth translation.

This time I need to deal with any textual issues that might be found in 
these verses, so I would appreciate any guidance that might be offered 
in a direction to start with.  I am writing this message right after 
class and before I head for home to start reading.  So, I have not 
checked the Greek text as of yet.  I have done exegetical papers 
throughout my under-grad. studies, but like I said before, I need to 
deal more in-depth with the text itself.

Then also, the library where I am enrolled offers inter-library loans 
because their collection is limited in this field.  So, I need to make 
sure I select good quality text (making things less expensive on me).

Wayne Heidler

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

>sure I select good quality text (making things less expensive on me).

Wayne,

You may wish to consult J.D. G. Dunn's commentary on Romans published by
"Word" publishers.  It is two volumes, but I think all of the material you
want is in vol 1.

He deals quite thoroughly with the significant variants.
Then I would consult Ulrich Wilckens "Der Brief an die Romer"

And of course you should look at Bruce Metzgers' "Textual Commentary on the
Greek New Testament".

Best wishes on your work.

Jim West

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Professor of Biblical Languages, CCBI
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology

---

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:51:45 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Wayne:

Try C.E.B. Cranfield's commentary in the ICC. It has more than youa shake
astick at

At 09:51 AM 9/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Attachment Converted: C:\CMCII\EUDORA\RomansCh.5-8
>

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
Temple Baptist Seminary
Tennessee Temple University
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37404
423/493-4252 (phone) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked]