Subject: RE: Teaching Textual Criticism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 18:19:41

Kevin Grenier,

	I Took a Texual Criticim class at the Graduate level under Dr. 
Carroll Osborne at Abilene Christian University in Abilene TX. He heads up 
the New Testament Greek project for the book of Acts for the UBS. Contact 
him, he should be able to help.

Robert Barnes

---

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:31:32 -0400 (EDT)

Depending on the level you want to cover I think that from basic to most
detailed are the following:

Black, David Alan. _New Testament Textual Criticism: A Concise Guide._ Grand
Rapids: Baker, 1994.

Greenlee, J. Harold. _Scribes Scrolls & Scriptures: A Students Guide to New
Testament Textual Criticism._Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1985.

Greenlee, J. Harold. _Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism._ Rev.
ed. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993.

Metzger, Bruce M. _The Text of the New Testametn: Its Transmission,
Corruption, and Restoration._ 3rd, enlarged and rev. ed. New York: Oxford
University Press, 1992.

At 05:56 PM 9/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>tc'ers,
>
>I am planning on teaching a unit on textual criticism to my 2nd year Greek
>students next semester. I am interested in hearing your comments on A) what
>texts are best for a short unit, i.e. 6-9 hours of class time B) what
>teaching methodology works at an undergrad level and C) which topics within
>the whole arena of tc are best to cover. 
>
>Suggestions?
>
>
>Kevin Grenier
>Colorado Christian University
>
>

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
Temple Baptist Seminary
Tennessee Temple University
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37404
423/493-4252 (phone) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Leonard Greenspoon)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:26:58 -0500

As TC book reviewer editor, I wanted to point that we will soon be
publishing a review by Tim Finney of Keith Elliott and Ian Moir's
"Manuscripts and the Text of the New Testament: An Introduction for English
Readers."  In this review Finney helpfully discusses and evaluates many of
the books mentioned in Kevin Woodruff's recent listing.
As a text critic (of sorts), I want to thank Paul Lorenzen for sharing his
pedagogical method of introducing the "nitty gritty" of scribal activity to
his students in such a creative and inventive way.  I have tried such an
approach myself, but (I fear) without Lorenzen's verve...
all the best,

leonard

**********************************************
*     Leonard Jay Greenspoon, Chairholder    *
*   Klutznick Chair in Jewish Civilization   *
*          Creighton University              *
*  Admin Bldg #333, Omaha, Nebraska  68178   *
*  phone (402)-280-2304  fax (402)-280-4731  *
*       e-mail:  [email-masked]         *
**********************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Carlton L. Winbery)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:15:00 -0500

I think the original post on this subject asked about including a short
section on NT TC in a Greek course.  I think that this should come late in
the course when students are getting to read NT texts more easily.  I would
then have them read pp. 15-84 of Jack Finegan, Encountering NT MSS (if out
of print, get permission to make copies).  And then I would have them make
their own critical edition of John 1:1-14 from P66 (page 114), P75 (page
119), Vaticanus (page 129), Sinaiticus (page 135), Bezae (page 143),
Washingtonensis (page 147), Alexandrinus (page 152), and 666 (pages
156-157).  They can use as a base text whatever text you have them read
from for the class.  A better way may be to make them colate against hH
KAINH DIAQHKA from the BIBLIKH hETAIREIA at hODOS FILELLHNWN 2A AQHNAI.
This would give them hands on experience and a feel for the science of TC.
They can form their own theories of transmission and history later when
they can study related subjects.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. NT & Greek La College
[email-masked]
[email-masked]