Subject: response to Sollamo review

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:23:36 -0400 (EDT)

One month ago TC published a review by Dave Washburn of Raija Sollamo's
book _Repetition of the Possessive Pronouns in the Septuagint_.  A week or
two later, Prof. Sollamo sent a message to the list noting her
appreciation for the review, but pointing out a misunderstanding of one of
her conclusions.  In a subsequent message to the list, Dave Washburn
concurred that he had misstated Sollamo's point in his review.  TC has now
published Sollamo's response to the review, and links from the response to
the review and vice versa have been inserted.  See the table of contents
for volume 1 of TC for Sollamo's comments. 

The ability to publish a correction to a TC article--and in only one
month's time!--highlights an advantage that electronic publishing has over
traditional paper publishing.  In print, a correction would have taken
several months (at least) to appear, and the link would only have been one
way: from the reponse to the original article.  There is no way to go back
and change the original printed article to refer to the response. 
However, in an electronic environment this is not a problem.  The fact
that the original review was _published_ precludes us from going back and
changing the text in question, since TC readers have to be able to assume
that the texts they cite in other articles are permanent, but there is no
problem with adding a link to the response, since this link is clearly not
a part of the article per se.  

Our publishing of this response should not be seen as indicative of a
weakness in electronic journals (how many responses to articles have
appeared in print journals, and how many more really _should_ have
appeared?) but rather as an example of the flexibility of online journals. 
Furthermore, I want to state my appreciation for Dave Washburn and all of
our other volunteer book reviewers (many are currently working on reviews)
for their hard work and for Leonard Greenspoon, our book review editor.  
Their efforts are making TC a valuable addition to the scholarly 
conversation about biblical textual criticism.

Jimmy Adair
General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 11:10:07 -7

I just took a look, and I'm a little embarrassed to have to ask this 
- did I ever send you the corrected version of that paragraph?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
I've never had an original thought in my life,
so this opinion must be someone else's fault.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 20:39 +0200

> Received: from sunvax.sun.ac.za by maties4.sun.ac.za with smtp; Mon, 16 Sep 
> 96 18:31:15 +0200
> Received: from graf.cc.emory.edu by sunvax.sun.ac.za with SMTP;
>           Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:29:40 +0100 (WET-DST)
> Received: from scholar.cc.emory.edu (scholar.cc.emory.edu [170.140.38.9]) by 
> graf.cc.emory.edu (8.7.3/8.6.9-950630.01osg-itd.null) with SMTP id MAA08091; 
> Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:21:55 -0400 (EDT)
> Received: by scholar.cc.emory.edu (SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4)
>         id MAA25575; Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:23:46 -0400
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:23:36 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
> To: TC List <[email-masked]>
> Subject: response to Sollamo review
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 

I can only second Jimmy's plea re the advantages of electronic publishing. It
 simply advances critical discussion, the essence of scientific work, and 
in a remarkable short period of time for that matter!! 

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

JOHANN COOK

STELLENBOSCH