Subject: text-type of Sinaiticus

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing a brief article on Codex Sinaiticus, and I want to verify the 
information that I have concerning the textual affinities of Codex 
Sinaiticus.  In the OT, the sources I have looked at say that it is 
basically Old Greek (where that has been determined), generally inferior 
to B, but sometimes superior (e.g., in 1 Chron, Esdras B, & the prophets).

In the NT, Sinaiticus is generally counted among the Alexandrian witnesses.
However, Fee argues that it is Western in John 1-8.  Are there any other 
caveats?

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: John Wevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:42:31 -0400 (EDT)

> to B, but sometimes superior (e.g., in 1 Chron, Esdras B, & the prophets).
One obvious additional point that should be made is that the corrector(s) of Sinaiticus must be mentioned, since the text type changes from S* to S  
as corrected. For further information, see volumes in the Goettingen LXX
which attest to Sinaiticus.> 

-- 

John Wm Wevers
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto
INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:20:24 -0700

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>

>However, Fee argues that it is Western in John 1-8.  Are there any other

I would add that, in the gospels, Aleph, while Alexandrian, aligns more
with Z and the later minuscules than with p75-B-T-L-sa.

In Paul, Aleph is Alexandrian, standing with A C 33, but does *not*
belong with p46-B-sa (Zuntz's proto-Aleandrian group) or with 1739.

In the Catholics, it is, again, Alexandrian, but stands apart from
p72-B and also from the bulk of later witnesses (A 33 81 436 etc.).
(Note that C is *not* Alexandrian in the Catholics; it goes with 1241
and family 1739.)

In the Apocalypse, Aleph goes with p47 against the purer Alexandrian
text of A C vg etc.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:29:27 -0400 (EDT)

> However, Fee argues that it is Western in John 1-8.  Are there any other 

I would see it as Alexandrian with a good deal of Western mixture
throughout the gospels, though in Jn.1-8 this mixture is stronger. I would
not call the Jn.1-8 section as predominately Western, however.