Subject: MS 2427?

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:54:45 -0700

I asked this question earlier, but I guess it got lost in the assorted
recent controversies....

I've recently been wondering about 2427. It's a manuscript of Mark
(Aland dates it as XIV century) that has the peculiar property of
standing closer to B than any other manuscript (including Aleph,
according to my statistics).

I saw a reference in a commentary once claiming that this manuscript
was of questionable authenticity. I can imagine a reason for the
question: What is a near-copy of B doing being made in the fourteenth
century? But this doesn't seem to me to be reason enough to really
cast doubt on it. Does anyone know anything about why this ms. is
controversial?

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:08:54 -0500 (EST)

> cast doubt on it. Does anyone know anything about why this ms. is

I cannot provide any first-hand data, but I have heard that it probably is
a fairly servile copy of B itself, probably made in the Vatican library
(where B likely was before its earliest cataloging at a slightly later
date).  What might be more significant is that no other copies of B seem
to have been made from the time of its composition until the point of MS
2427.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~