Subject: Re: Textual Criticism Theories

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:38:07 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:38 AM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:

>
>Of course, I am neither a trained textual critic nor a person who
>subscribes to the usual textual theories. So much for my opinions. :-)
>

Which automatically brings to mind the story Luther told of the ape in the
shoe shop.  Fascinating reading and perhaps even folklore.

>Robert B. Waltz  - - - - - - - - Ballad Index Editor
>

Jim
(theologically trained and knowledgable in TC)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Professor of Biblical Languages
Petros TN

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:21:11 -0700

>shoe shop.  Fascinating reading and perhaps even folklore.

Being the untrained (and un-Lutheran) person I am, I'm afraid I don't
know that one. Oh well. Maybe my wild-eyed anarchism will spark ideas
in somebody who is in a position to do something about them.

And I hope you won't interpret what I said as implying that theological
education is a detriment. I just am not sure what additional tools it
brings to the critic's arsenal (perhaps the ability to detect heretical
readings? :-)

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:39:01 -0700

Sorry, folks, for my last post. I was replying to what I though was
a personal post to me, and it wound up on the list.

I'll try harder next time.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]