Subject: Fragment of Encyclopedia online

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:27:02 -0700

TCers --

I should probably let Rich Elliot tell this. In fact, I should probably
have told him first. :-) But I'm just too proud of having managed the
to interpret the oracular instructions of my service provider to wait.

To the point --

Since people are still asking about the Encyclopedia of NT TC, I've
decided to start posting some potential articles. I've now completed
rough drafts of three of them, on "Canons of Criticism," "Oral
Transmission," and "Text-Types."

You can find them at

http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn

Suggestions, if not too sarcastic, are welcome. You can also take a
look at my idea of a format.

I have done my best to make the pages compatible with all browsers. This
means that, with regret, I put the Greek in English characters, and
spelled out the names of certain manuscripts (Aleph, Delta, Psi, etc.).
Other than that, the only things that aren't compatible with all
web browsers are a handful of tables (not supported by old versions
of Mosaic, etc.) and the superscript command (not supported, e.g., by
the AOL browser).

Also, I have several hundred K of web space still available. If anyone
else wants to post an article, send it to me and I'll convert it to
HTML and post it.

Let me emphasize, however, that this is Rich Elliot's project, and
you should contact *him* ([email-masked]) to volunteer. I'm just
a guy who is viciously stealing his thunder. :-)

BTW -- yes, I have a couple of other articles in progress. But I'll
reveal them only after I see the reaction to what's already there....

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:01:24 -0600

> http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn

	Having downloaded and printed out these excellent articles, I
consider them a wonderful "gift" to the readership of TC.  To those "lay
scholars," like myself, they represent the beginnings of what will be
an extremely informative "mini-course" in textual criticism.  In a clear
and succinct way, they distill the often cumbersone scholarly discourse
in TC in a well written and easily manageable format.

	Thank you Robert!!!

Shelama amkhon

Jack Kilmon
Houston, Texas
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:53:53 -0700

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>

>in TC in a well written and easily manageable format.

Be still my swelled head! :-)

I should remind people that I am, at least officially, a textual layman
myself. Yes, I've spent hours at least equivalent to a Master's degree --
but I haven't had a professor to crack the whip over me and force all
originality out of my work. :-) As for "well-written," remember that
I work as a magazine editor; I'd better have *some* skills at English.

On a more serious note, I would point out that these articles were
written with hypertext in mind; there are cross-references that
simply won't work on the printed page. If you want to store them on
your computer, just save the HTML files in your browser, then
re-open them at your leisure.

Also, a note on footnotes: I create both "informative" and "bibliographic"
footnotes. Following a lead I've seen in some history texts, I put
an asterisk in front of informative footnotes. So a footnote [*10]
means that footnote 10 contains useful information; a footnote [11]
would just be a citation.

I hope this helps....

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]