Subject: Prov 9:18 ctd

From: "Michael Fox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 07:16:00 -0600

Kevin suggests that peteuron means spirngboard--the springboard to
Hades. But what would a springboard in the ancient world be? All I can
come up with is an image of the sinner taking a couple of bounces on the
diving board and plunging into Hell. Seems somewhat anachronistic.

Mike

Michael V. Fox
Professor, Dept. of Hebrew
University of Wisconsin
1220 Linden Drive, rm. 1346
Madison, WI 53706
email: [email-masked] = [email-masked]

---

From: Sigrid Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 22:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

> diving board and plunging into Hell. Seems somewhat anachronistic.

Acrobats and bareback riders of horses also use springboards--that's 
modern, as well, but may not be so anachronistic as the diving board.
 
> email: [email-masked] = [email-masked]

Sigrid Peterson   UPenn/UJ   [email-masked]