Subject: Re: MS 2427?

From: DC PARKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:27:07 GMT

Robert Waltz writes about 2427.

Colwell wrote on this MS ('Some Unusual Abbreviations in ms. 2427', 
Studia Evangelica, TU 73 (1959), 778-9.  I can't check Clark's USA 
MSS for further information, and the only other immediate source of 
info is Alands, Introduction, who place it as Category 1, and give a 
plate.

Evidence  that it was a _copy_ of B would be quite different from 
evidence that its text is very similar.  It would need to include 
repetition or false restoration of casual error, difficulty where B was 
hard to read, and maybe repetition of abbreviations such as nomina 
sacra.  But this might be harder to establish between a majuscule and 
a minuscule.  Also, itacisms might be patterned in the copying.

Have you found any such evidence?  The Alands have Cat. 1 MSS 
from the 13th cent., so there is nothing absolutely abnormal about a 
14th cent. MS being in this category.

Fun to note that Nestle-Aland cites 2427 as a first order witness, on 
the strength of its Category 1 status, in Mark 16.9ff...

David Parker
DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]