Subject: Re: Textual Criticism Theories

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:45:27 -0400

In a message dated 96-10-23 12:06:37 EDT, Maurice Robinson writes:

> [quoting Grenier]
> 
> >Most agree that the
> >majority of variants probably occurred prior to 325 CE., certainly before
500
> >(?) CE. During this time, people did not understand the writings as
scripture
> >and there was little opportunity for comparison of MSS.
> 
> I would take exception to this categorization, since there is little
> question regarding the fourfold gospel as scripture before AD 200, as well
> as most of the undisputed books before or around that date (which Colwell
> considered the point by which most sensible variant readings had been
> created).  AD 500 would be far too late to postulate the writings as
> non-scripture.  Also, I do not think there was "little opportunity for
> comparison of MSS" when even our earliest papyri show evidence of
> cross-comparison and correction, not to mention the uncial fragments from
> the 3rd and 4th century.  

Thank you for your comments, Maurice. 

I'm wondering if you could give a short paragraph of your understanding of
the time period I was trying to write about. I am happy to have my
paragraph's weaknesses pointed out, but what I need is someone replace my
paragraph with a better one. That way, I have something true to put in my
head and not just know that what I have written is incorrect.

Thanks,

Kevin Grenier

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:52:46 -0400 (EDT)

[quoting Grenier] 
>>Most agree that the majority of variants probably occurred prior to 325
>>CE., certainly before 500 (?) CE. During this time, people did not
>>understand the writings as scripture and there was little opportunity
>>for comparison of MSS.

[quoting Robinson]

> head and not just know that what I have written is incorrect.

I suspect this ovIerlaps into the matter of the history of the canon,
which could become quite complicated.  I will basically stick with what
was stated above, assuming canonicity or some authoritative status for the
fourfold gospel certainly before the mid-2nd century.  Ulrich Schmid (who
has just spent a wonderful week visting with me) maintains for the Pauline
corpus a ten-letter canon selected by Paul himself for the Pauline
Epistles, which thus elevates those ten into canonical status within the
first century, etc. (your mileage may vary).  I simply would agree with
Colwell that most sensible variants appeared before AD 200, and also
thTdkat