Subject: Re: versions : what do you expect?

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:13:47 -0500 (EST)

At 11:01 AM 11/5/96 -0800, you wrote:

>If you want the work to be usable by scholars without a good command
>of Arabic (i.e. almost all biblical scholars) some translation would
>be needed.  A greek retroversion would be of much greater theoretical
>interest than a fresh translation into English or French, because
>the Greek Vorlage (or Vorlage of the Vorlage) will always be referred to
>when the relationship of the Arabic texts to the rest of the NT tradition
>is investigated. 

I am simply curious, in this connection, how such a retroversion
accomplishes more than simply being a "targum" on a putative text?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Petros TN

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:22:57 -0800 (PST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> accomplishes more than simply being a "targum" on a putative text?

Besides serving as a Targum on the Arabic texts, a Greek retroversion
made with an eye on the MS/versional/patristic traditions could
serve as a bridge in connecting the Arabic texts back to the sources
from which they came.  Even a reader innocent of Arabic could get useful
information from such a retroversion, even though he would be seriously
handicapped in evaluating the information.

Vincent Broman,  code D783 Bayside                       Email: [email-masked]
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.
San Diego, CA  92152-6222,  USA                          Phone: +1 619 553 1641
=== PGP protected mail preferred.  For public key finger [email-masked] ===