Subject: Question on God and Sex

From: Sari Slater <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:57:14 -0500

At 08:33 AM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I think your best tactic would be to explore the biblical theology of sex in
>general, the purpose, the scope, etc. and then by contrast show how
>advertising perverts God's plan for sex and basically appeals to lust, not
>biblical sexual love

        I don't read much sexual "love" in the bible.  There is not a great
deal of affection between humans or between humans and any other creature,
for that matter.  Most of what is sexual in the OT is verging on the
pornographic (a couple of the more graphic prophets!), or is about rape and
violence or incest (Lot's daughters, Dinah, the concubine in Judges 19,
Amnon's rape of Tamar, his half-sister) or is about what women, men and
animals a man cannot have sex with (mainly Leviticus), or is about a woman
seducing a man so that she can conceive to carry on "his line" (Ruth,
Tamar/Judah).

        Of course there's a good deal of carrying on about "whoring."

        If the deity has a plan for sex, it is not terribly well
fleshed-out.  Given his own solitary bachelorhood, widowhood or state of
permanent divorce, it is not surprising.

- Sari Slater

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:27:56 -0800

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Sari Slater <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>permanent divorce, it is not surprising.

Do I pick up a little bit of "bias" in these statements?!?  
Perhaps a little bit of "eisegesis?"

***********************************************************
Paul Lorenzen -- Sparks, Nevada  -- Email - [email-masked]
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ptl/lorenzen.htm

Only one life, 'twill soon be past; 
only what's done for Christ will last!
***********************************************************

---

From: Lyle Eslinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:20:55 -0700

>Perhaps a little bit of "eisegesis?"
                   ^
                  /|\
                   |

No bias in your call sign, eh Paul?

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:41:59 -0600

> >Perhaps a little bit of "eisegesis?"

	If the Creator didn't think sex was a grand idea, we would
reproduce by transverse fusion.

Off topic...but brings a smile.

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]