Subject: If I may be so undignified -- "I dare you"

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:54:33 -0700

TCers --

All right, this is a challenge. It's also an opportunity to get
your purple prose in (electronic) print. (Go ahead, say *that* three
times fast.... :-)

At my proposed ENTTC site, I've added a new article on examples
of textual criticism. I don't know if this will survive in the
final encyclopedia, but I think it's a worthwhile idea anyway.
I'll keep it up there if it doesn't get used elsewhere.

I took about a dozen variants, listed their support, and showed
how I resolved them. Naturally, many of these are "challenge"
variants -- places where my text disagrees with UBS.

For balance, though, we should offer to let several scholars
resolve the variants and explain the readings. I'm also willing
to add more variants. The only thing I would say is that we should
resolve the variants independently, without attacks on others'
methods. (To put it another way: You don't attack me and I won't
attack you.)

Once again, you can find the site at

http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn.

This article should work reasonably well with all browsers, though
I did use a few Netscape extensions for legibility.

And with that done, I will go back to being a ballad scholar for a
while and let you think about the Encyclopedia in peace. :-)

Have at it!

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]