Subject: Re: (recent) mss and GNT/Nestle

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 04:12:36 +0100

>I've received a question that you can answer more easily than I. What
>(if any) manuscripts found during the past 25 years have been
>incorporated into the apparati of Nestle or GNT, and have any of these
>led to changes in the text. I'm pretty sure the person asking the
>question isn't concerned about changes (lectionary readings etc.) in the
>Nestle 27 apparti that are the result of changes in editorial policy,
>but rather Greek mss unknown before the last 25 years. I'm not sure how
>to begin to research the question, because I don't know of any source
>which would list discovery dates within that time range, if there were
>such discoveries. Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm... I have a vague rememberance of a whole bunch of new manuscripts 
found during works at Mt Sinai, among which some greek NT manuscripts. I 
don't have the reference but I can check.
I see there are Sinaitic mss mentioned at the very end of the list in 
NA27 (page 711), they are numbers 2492 and 2495. I'll check (or maybe 
someone will be quicker than me).
Greetings,

Jean Valentin - Brussels - Belgium

Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable.

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:38:44 -0700

>someone will be quicker than me).

There have, in fact, been several discoveries in Sinai lately. However,
2492 (a member of family 330) and 2495 (part of family 2138, and a
rather corrupt near-sister of 1505) were discovered more than thirty
years ago; they are listed in the first edition of the _Liste_.

Few of the more recent discoveries at Sinai have been assessed yet;
the only major items to make it into NA27 are 0278, 0281, and 0285.
The minuscules, for the most part, haven't even been assessed yet.
(See the notes in Aland & Aland, acknowledging their existence but
not rating them. I don't think they're in _Text und Textwert_.)

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]