Subject: Updated Encyclopedia Site

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:52:34 -0700

Dear TCers --

My survey of web browsers last week produced an interesting result: Every
one of you who has web access at all can read HTML tables. So I decided
to go ahead and use tables in my latest encyclopedia article.

This is something which, I hope, you can all use: It is a list of
all the manuscripts cited regularly in the critical editions of
Paul (NA26, NA27, UBS3, UBS4, Merk/Bover), along with their ratings/
classifications by Soden, Merk, Aland, and (ahem) me.

I intend to do another version of this for the Catholics (adding the
classifications of Richards, as well as what I know of the work
of Duplacy), but I thought I would wait to see what people say about
this one first.

BTW -- two comments for those of you who do not have a table-compatible
browser: First, if you are academics, you can get a copy of Netscape
Navigator *free*.

If you are not an academic, there's always the AOL browser. You've probably
gotten a few dozen copies in the mail. You can use this browser *without*
signing up for AOL. Just install it, then use it to read the HTML files.
You can download the files via FTP, then open them in AOL's browser.
If you do not have FTP access, but are interested in reading the files,
let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

Again, let me know what you think. And don't hesitate to point out
errors. Typing in all those Soden symbols was a pretty complex job;
I could easily have made a mistake or sixteen.... Also, I had to resort
to various tricks, not all very good, to try to encompass von Soden's
crazy notation. Maybe you'll have better suggestions....

Again, the web site is

http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]