Subject: new NT mss

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:22:40 -0500 (EST)

I have decoded J K Elliott's message for those on the list unable to do so.
This is probably a good place to remind people to post only ASCII 
messages (text only) to the list, since the members of the list use a 
variety of different word processors.  Thanks.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

I am interested in the discussion about additions of Greek NT
MSS. to the Liste and the effect that these may have had on the
apparatus to the critical editions. Readings from the unpublished
Sinai uncials are to be found occasionally in the apparatus to
the Nestle edition. Also, the Münster publication: Wachtel and
Witte's Das NT auf Papyrus II,2 (=ANTF 22) has readings from 0278
0280 0282 0285.

My reviews of UBS 4th. ed. and NA 27th. edition in Theologische
Revue 90 (1994) cols. 9-20 go into some great detail about the
MSS. used, cited, and listed in these editions. 

A review of the Liste 2nd. edition will appear (I hope) in the
January issue of Novum Testamentum.

One needs to be careful in assuming that all the newly registered
MSS. are the only high numbers in the Liste. Some "new" MSS. like
2814 are, in fact, new numbers for old friends (1r in that case).
Other changes need to be sought in the list as a whole: some
numbers have been deleted, some MSS., previously registered as
separate MSS. are now seen as part of another MS. and hence such
numbers are superseded and made redundant. Thus the total number
of minuscules, papyri and the like cannot be seen by taking the
highest registered numbers in the Liste. Another thing to be
alert to is that just because a MS. is listed in the introductory
matter of NA or UBS does not always mean that it will be found
in the apparatus. Only a scouring of the apparatus themselves
will reveal that information.

Now for the pedantry that is encouraged by our discipline: I note
that some correspondents have a problem with the plural of the
Latin 'apparatus', and with the spelling of minuscule!

I realise that TC is not a vehicle for plugging one's
publications, but, with the SBL book displays looming in New
Orleans, may I alert N. American readers in particular to the
little primer of NT textual criticism (aimed at readers without
Greek) written by myself and the late Ian Moir of Edinburgh
University. It is Manuscripts and the Text of the New Testament,
published by T&T Clark (Edinburgh, 1995). Clark's will be at New
Orleans. Otherwise their books are distributed in N. America by
Books International Inc., PO Box 605, Herndon, VA 22070-0605,
USA.

J.K.Elliott