Subject: Re: versions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:45:23 -0500

In a message dated 96-11-04 05:09:48 EST, DC Parker writes:

>That is to say, the versions are as valuable as Greek MSS in reconstructing
the >history of the text.  I took the endings of Mark as a passage where that
is clearly >illustrated.  I will only add that where, for example, two early
versions concur in a >striking reading that could not be due to similarities
in translation technique or to >coincidence, then we will have evidence of a
widespread early form of the text.
 
 >The examination of the versions is is such an established part of the 
 >way in which I learned to study the transmission of the NT text, that I 
 >can hardly imagine conducting research without it.  Surely most 
 >people are taught like this? >>

Yes, I do agree with these points, especially regarding the historical
aspects.  I was simply saying that I don't believe that a version or
patristic quote can supersede the Greek MS evidence.  Yes, the versions and
fathers play an important role in NTTC, but there is a hierarchy in the
evidence and the way it should be used.

Rich Elliott