Subject: Byz or M text translation

From: Julian Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:51:04 -0500 (EST)

I have read somewhere that no one has ever made a New Testament translation
into English that is based only on the Byzantine or Majority text purely.
The King James Version is translated from a mixture of Byzantine (Majority),
Textus Receptus, Latin Vulgate and other texts into English.  The J.P. Green
New Testament translation tried to do so with a modified and corrected King
James Version based on Scrivner's reconstructed Greek text based mostly on
Bezae but modified to match the King James Version as best as possible in
Greek with a few other changes.  Some have suggested that the New King James
Version especially with reference to the footnotes of Byzantine Majority
text readings gets as very close when it varies with the English King James
Version (AV).  More or less such majority texts have been put together in
Greek by Erasmus, Stephanus, Bezae and Elzevirs but these texts are mostly
referred to as "The Textus Receptus" which may not be 100% based on the
Byzantine (Majority) text types.  At present as far as I know, there are
two Textus Receptus texts that are easily available.  The first is by 
Berry and it's an interlinear with variant readings but is mostly based
on Stephanus mostly and Elzevir.  The other is a Greek New Testament by
Scrivener based on the Textus Receptus of Bezae for the most part.