Subject: Re: More on 2427

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:37:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, L. Mark Bruffey wrote:

> > Hort developed his whole text-type system
> > based on the principle "identity of error implies identity of
> > origin," but I'm not sure that's a valid canon. 
> 
> Didn't Hort have to compromise on this axiom in practice anyway?

Hort did not compromise -- he redefined "error" to equal "reading".

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: "L. Mark Bruffey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 11:37:27 -0800

> Hort did not compromise -- he redefined "error" to equal "reading".

That is what I meant to say:  He adjusted (compromised) the principle to
make the theory workable.

Mark