Subject: Egerton Gospel

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 17:57:03 GMT

Would someone please tell me what the so called "Egerton Gospel" is and
where it can be found in ms.

Thanks,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Professor of Biblical Languages, CCBI
Petros TN

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 19:20:17 -0600

> where it can be found in ms.

	Jim, I didn't see a reply to your question over the last day or so, so
here goes.

	The Egerton Papyrus 2 was found in Egypt in 1935 and consisted of two
pages, a fragment of a third and a little scrap of a 4th.  The pericopes
have close parallels to GJohn but is not dependent on John.

	Personally, I believe that Egerton is a Greek translation of the
original Aramaic "proto-John."  Helmut Koester treats the Egerton
in depth in "Ancient Christian Gospels" and since I know you have that,
I will not list bibliographies.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]