Subject: Tyndale update

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 09:51:42 -0600 (CST)

1996 saw two significant advances in Tyndale research.  Andrew J. Brown 
published his WILLIAM TYNDALE ON PRIESTS AND PREACHERS (London: Inscriptor 
Imprints, 1996) which is a short book of only 79 pages.  He includes some 
hitherto unpublished documents (mostly relating to when Tyndale was at 
Oxford).  The documents provide new information on Tyndale's amazing 
scholarship.  The rest of the book consists of quotations form Tyndale 
that relate to preachers and ecclesiastical authorities.  Preachers, be 
prepared to be roasted if you are not doing your duty by preaching and 
teaching the Word!  At any rate, this little book is a blessing to read.
ISBN #  0 9528271 0 7

The second item is the very recent discovery of a third Tyndale 1526 New 
Testament.  It was found at Stuttgart, Germany.  I quote the CHURCH TIMES 
of London, November 22, 1996 as follows:
"Curators recataloguing the Bible Collection in the 
Wurttembergische Landesbibliothek found the hitherto unrecognised Bible 
undisturbed in its 16th-century binding."  It also has the title page 
which neither of the other two known copies had.  The title page says in 
part, "The newe Testament as it was written and caused to be written by 
them which herde yt.  To whom also our saveour Christ Jesus 
commaunded that they shulde preache it to all creatures."

NOTE: If this is not new information to you, I apologize for the 
intrusion.  The above spelling should not be modernized.  Also note the 
two spellings of "it" in close proximity.  Spelling consistency was not so 
important then. 

Blessings on your new year.
--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803