Subject: mixed texts in Acts

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 96 23:36:34 +0100

Just a question about the Greek text of Acts (I'm doing some work with a 
friend on the Arabic texts).
Do you know if there are mss of Acts that can't be categorized in one of 
the three groups : B-text, D-text and Byz-text? In other words, mss with 
mixed texts a little like the Palestinian witnesses of the Gospel text?
This is because we work on Arabic mss that linguistically are most 
probably derived from Greek, but we can't find a clear parenty with one 
of the three great groups. So where should we look?

Thanks to all.

_______________________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Brussels - Belgium

Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable.
Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar.

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:13:50 -0700

>of the three great groups. So where should we look?

I am by no means expert on this, but it seems to me that there are
at least two such groups: Family 1739 and Family 2138.

Family 1739, consisting of 1739, 1891, 945, 630, 323, etc., has been
called "Western," but it clearly is not. On the other hand, it doesn't
agree perfectly with the old uncials either. So it could be something
like what you are looking for.

Family 2138 is also called "Western," and certainly it has some
characteristically "Western" readings. But there are other readings
which stand apart. Not as many (the whole family is rather weaker
than family 1739), but some.

I know someone (Geerlings?) has done work on family 1739 in Acts.
It might be worth looking up.

I hope this is at least some slight help.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:20:33 -0500 (EST)

> It might be worth looking up.

The reference is Thomas C. Geer, Jr., _Family 1739 in Acts_, SBL Monograph
Series, no. 48 (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1994).  We have an online review
at http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/jbl-crbr/6sept14.html, in case
anyone is interested.  Bill Petersen, a member of this list, is the reviewer.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------