Subject: Rev. 1:4

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:46:26 -0600 (CST)

A missionary from Hong Kong asked me tonight why the name JOHN is 
capitalized in the KJV at Rev. 1:4.  I checked eight copies from different 
publishers and only two of eight did capitalize the all four letters.
Is there any Byz or other text reason for this.  I have never heard of any.

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: "John C. Hurd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:19:43 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure that I have seen all the 7Q5 postings, but so far I have not
seen any suggestion that one should scan the LXX for a match for the
agreed characters.  That would seem to me the obvious place to look for a
match (or matches?).  If it seems useful, I'll give it a try.  What range
of characters would you-all suggest for the MS line length?  --  John
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Prof. John C. Hurd            Internet: [email-masked] ::
::  49 Wanless Ave.               Office tel.: (416) 485-2429      ::
::  Toronto, Ont.  M4N 1V5        Office fax:  (416) 485-7320      ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:57:09 -0500 (EST)

> Is there any Byz or other text reason for this.  I have never heard of any.

My copy of the RV here at the office also capitalizes the name.  There is 
no textual reason for this that I know of.  I imagine that the editors of 
the various editions are trying to indicate by using all caps that this 
verse is the beginning of a major section in the book, similar to the way 
in which each book (in these editions) begins with one or two words in 
all caps (or small caps).

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: Nichael Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:04:59 -0500 (EST)

> of characters would you-all suggest for the MS line length?  --  John

I'm pretty sure this has already been done, not only in the LXX but also
on a much broader scale; e.g. across the full TLG database.  (Again, see
the dicussion in the Stanton book and article mentioned earlier.)

N