Subject: Re: tape attack

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:17:33 -0800

Ronald L. Minton wrote:

>I received an unsolicited video tape of Gail Riplinger on the KJV.  I 
>only mention it to this group because she mocks Bruce Metzger and 
>fabricates about Westcott and Hort and she does other text-critical 
>gymnastics.  In March 96 I published an 
>unfavorable book review of her NEW AGE VERSIONS.  In the tape, the 
>moderator calls for me to be fired from my teaching position.  The tape 
>is full of grossly misleading claims.  I do want to ask two things of the 
>list.  She claims that some ancient papyri, including P66 as I recall, 
>often have two dots (diacritical marks) to tell the next copier to omit 
>these words in his copy.  I hate to seem ignorant (unlearned) here, but I 
>don't want to criticize her work on this point if it is true, and I was 
>not aware of the practice if it ever existed.  Can someone explain what she 
>means and if there is any truth to it.
>She also claims that the papyri agree with the TR 75% and with W-H only 
>15%.  I know this is wrong, but can someone tell me where she gets this 
>kind of data?  There must be a pseudo-scholar out there somewhere who 
>feeds this false data to her type; it is causing me some headaches.
>

Ron:

I think you are correct that she is getting her info from someone else; I
talked to someone at SBL who had "debated" her and was shocked to find out
upon meeting her that her two masters degrees and college teaching
experience was in **Home Economics** and that for all intents and purposes,
she could not even read the Greek text he put in front of her. I, for one,
am sad to see that this nonsense is continuing; I thought that her book and
her personally had been so roundly debunked that she had thought better of
the situation and retired back to teaching Home Ec, rather than continuing
to embarass herself to such an extent...I guess not !!

XAIREIN...

***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages        Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************

---

From: Michael D Hildenbrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:10:22 -0800 (PST)

Comments below...

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
[snip]
> Ron:
[snip]
> to embarass herself to such an extent...I guess not !!

I thought that the publisher had become so embarrassed by the attacks on
the book that they withdrew it.  This book has caused no end of problems
inchurches among people that don't know better.  The book cost $25 and a
friend of mine bought 4 copies!  She lent a copy to me and I was
astonished that such trash could be published.

Under His Mercy,
Michael

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:54:16 -0500 (EST)

> astonished that such trash could be published.

The book is self-published by Riplinger's own "AV Publications" company,
and it claims to have now sold over 70,000 copies.  Even allowing a modest
$5 per copy profit on such an item, I think I know how to finance my
retirement by selling to the faithful on the fringe.....

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:12:49 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Michael D Hildenbrand wrote:
> in churches among people that don't know better.  The book cost $25 and a

It is self published (AV Publications) and she has sold 100,000 copies.
It is the worse book I have ever read, and I have read some duzies.

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803