Subject: Re: Byzantine editions (Was: Re: James)

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 03:30:19 GMT

At 10:18 PM 1/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>
>On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Robert B. Waltz wrote:

>The problem is that for many years Dallas Seminary itself reprinted and
>used the Oxford 1825 TR, and that is what H/F used.  Virtually no one else
>(including myself) can find a copy of that specific edition anywhere,
>since Dallas Seminary no longer prints it.  Note that the IGNTP uses its
>own reprinted fascicles of the Oxford 1873 TR, which itself would be
>difficult to locate apart from IGNTP making its own reprints for internal
>use.  Probably the most common and continuing as available TR edition is
>the Stephens 1550 text as found in the George Ricker Berry interlinear
>Greek NT (originally published in 1897, but still in print from various
>reprint houses). That is the specific Stephens 1550 TR edition utilized in
>the Online Bible program, along with the artificial TR supposedly
>underlying the KJV prepared by Scrivener in 1894.

I don't know if this is what you want- but the TR is indeed available in the
States.  I will try to find out the publisher Monday- but I think it is
somewhere in TN.  I got a copy last year.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Petros TN
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies,
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 23:09:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Jim West wrote:

> >use.  

Even if the Oxford 1825 TR might be available in print (it is a public
domain text in any case), there really is _no_ reason for anyone to use it
for collation or other purposes, since it does not conform to the Stephens
1550 or Elziver 1633 TR, let alone to the IGNTP's Oxford 1873 edition
which -- if anything -- should be the "standard" TR for text-critical
purposes.  I would not myself recommend anyone to obtain the Oxford 1825
edition, since no collation or other data will be based upon such, even if
made in the 1800s.