Subject: Byz Text

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 03:39:53 GMT

Yes, I found it.  The publisher is AMG Publications.  Their number is either
615 894-6060 or
423 894-6060 
(I am not sure which because recently we have all had our area codes
changed- so they might have the new one 423 or they might still be in that
part of the state which has the old one).

When I called them last year the person I talked to first did not know there
was such a thing as the Greek New Testament! So you might have some trouble
getting them to understand what you want.

The title is "he kaine diatheke" subtitled "the Greek text underlying the
english version of 1611".  Trinitarian Bible Society.
the intro says that this text follows the text of Beza's 1598 edition and is
identical to scrivener's edition.

Sorry if this is useless info.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Petros TN
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies,
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 23:12:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Jim West wrote:

> Yes, I found it.  The publisher is AMG Publications.  
> 

That is a "TR", but it most emphatically is NOT the Oxford 1825 TR which
had previously been reprinted by Dallas Seminary.  Instead, that is the
Scrivener 1894 TR which was artificially created by him to reflect the
text purportedly underlying the KJV.  That text also is useless for
text-critical purposes, and I do not recommend it, especially for
collation, since it has over 220 differences from the Stephens 1550 text.

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 08:31:53 -0700

Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>, responding to Jim

>collation, since it has over 220 differences from the Stephens 1550 text.

This reminds us of an important point: Not all TRs are the same. Yes,
they are highly similar. But not identical! Extreme editions may differ
in hundreds of places.

The Berry edition, which Robinson mentioned earlier, cites differences
between Stephanus and Elzevir (based on the comparison by Scrivener).
So do several editions of Tischendorf.

The problem is not finding editions of the TR; I have two (the Berry
edition and Scrivner's KJV reconstruction). The problem is finding
a *specific* edition of the TR. I can't remember the reading, but
I remember spending hours trying to figure out what appeared to be
a nonsensical reading in a collation. The problem turned out to be
that I was using the wrong TR edition at one of the places where the
editions split.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                  Robert B. Waltz
               [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn