Subject: Re: Original Text

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:37:58 -0500 (EST)

I apologize to the list for my constant references to Herrn Aland; but when
I was a ThM student he was gracious enough to help me (via mail) with my ThM
thesis.  It is unbecoming of biblical scholars to denigrate his work with
slights and asides.  
I realize that this is rather personal, but he was a kind and generous
scholar who stooped down to help an ignoramus like myself and I cannot but
say something on his behalf now that he is no longer able to speak for himself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Petros TN

[email-masked]

---

From: ANDREW SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 05:34:52 -0500 (EST)

> say something on his behalf now that he is no longer able to speak for himself.

***********************

I would agree that we ought to show respect for Aland, and I agree that
much of his work was a positive contribution to the field; yet I'm sure
that Aland himself would encourage scholarly discussion which might lead
to some of his work being questioned - we can respectfully disagree.