Subject: Re: Beatty and Bodmer Papyri

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 02:43:28 -0500 (EST)

On 97-01-05 01:18:38 EST

Prof. Ron Minton wrote:

>>
>>Can any one tell me where our library can buy the Beatty and Bodmer Papyri
>>in the nice multi-volume editions like I used when in Seminary?  :)
>>
>>--
>>Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
>>Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
>>

The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri  (P45, P46, and P47)
were published by Frederic G. Kenyon (London: E. Walker, Ltd.) in 
P45
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri II/1: The Gospels and Acts, Text (1933)
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri II/2: The Gospels and Acts, Plates (1934)
P46-P47
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri III/1: Pauline Epistles and Revelation,
Text (1934)
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri III/2: Revelation, Plates (1936)
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri III/3: (Supplement) Pauline Epistles,Text (
1936)
The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri III/4: Pauline Epistles, Plates (1937)

The Bodmer Biblical Papyri (P66, P72, P73, P74, and P75)
were published by various persons:

Victor Martin (Cologny/Geneva: Bibliotheca Bodmeriana) in
P66
Papyrus Bodmer II: Evangile de Jean, 1-14 (1956)
Papyrus Bodmer II: Supplément, Evangile de Jean, 14-21 (1958)
Papyrus Bodmer II: Supplément, Evangile de Jean, 14-21 (1962)
P75
Papyrus Bodmer XIV-XV, I: XIV: Luc chap. 3-24; II: XV: Jean chap. 1-15 (1961)

and Michael Testuz in
P72
Papyrus Bodmer VII-IX: L'Epître de Jude, Les deux Epîtres de Pierre, Les
Psaumes

                                                                             3
3 et 34 (1959)                                      

and Rudolf Kasser in
P74
Papyrus Bodmer XVII: Actes des Apôtres, Epîtres de Jacques, Pierre, Jean et
Jude (1961)

P73
to the best of my knowledge remains unpublished, but please correct me if I'm
wrong.

Also (to the best of my knowledge) these are all currently out of print
(again, please correct me if I'm wrong).   

For that reason, my recommendation would be to purchase the forthcoming
volume The Complete Text of the Earliest New Testament Manuscripts, which
will be out later this year from Baker Book House in Grand Rapids, MI.
 Introductions, transcriptions, and photographs of the above papyri (except
for P73 and P74, because of their later date) will be included there in one
volume, as will all Biblical Papyri from the first three centuries.

Timothy B. Sailors