Subject: More TC Encyclopedia information

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:41:30 -0700

TCers (and Rich Elliot in particular) --

I was amazed to find that, in the last week, two people had written to
me about the ENTTC. I, of course, referred the to Rich Elliot, since
it's his baby, not mine. But I also got inspired to add another
article (well, *part of* another article) to the Encyclopedia.

All books on textual criticism describe "important" manuscripts. But
their lists are always too short. So I decided to put up more
comprehensive entries. I chose five manuscripts that I deal with
fairly regularly (1505, 1506, 1739, 1799, 1881) and put together
descriptions and bibliographies for each.

Naturally we want to include more manuscripts -- many more manuscripts.
But it strikes me that we should come up with a format first. I tried,
but this is probably only a first draft. I invite you to visit the site
and see what I've forgotten. :-)

I also invite you, once again, to contribute. Ultimately it will be
Rich Elliot and his editorial board who decides what goes into the
Final Encyclopedia (with apologies to Gordon Dickson -- and if that
means nothing to you, be glad :-). But at least having a web site --
even a very half-baked one -- can get people thinking about what
they would like to see. And you don't need to know HTML; I can
take care of that for you.

I repeat, I invite your contributions. (I imagine Rich will, also,
when he is in position to do so. But I'm being my usual anarchistic
self.) I would especially like items for the "Manuscript Descriptions"
and "Examples of Textual Criticism" sections.

And just think: If somebody respectable (or even somebody who
isn't me) contributes an article, I will have to change my
signature to be slightly less sarcastic. Isn't that worth it all
by itself.... :-)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                  Robert B. Waltz
               [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn