Subject: Re: P90, P98

From: Michael Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:17:21 -0600 (CST)

At 02:24 AM 1/4/97 GMT, Jim West wrote:
>I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with the bibliography of
>P90 and P98.  I.e., I wish to know where they are published.
>

The starting place for all such inquiries is:
K. Aland, et al., eds., _Kurzegefasste Liste der Griechischen Handscriften
des Neuen Testaments_, 2nd ed. (Berlin and New York: De Gruyter, 1994).

--This is the latest edition of the official register of NT MSS.  It lists
99 papyri, and includes publication details of the _editio princeps_  for
all those that have been published (no details have been given for p83 and
p84, e.g.; but for the Johannine portions of p84, see the entry by Parker
and Elliott below).

For p90, Harold Scanlin's comments (in his e-mail of Sat, 4 Jan 1997
14:56:10) are on target:

>New Docs is probably _New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity, 7_ 
>(Macquarie U.), but I haven't seen volume 7.

>P 90 (Oxy 3523) is discussed by T. C. Skeat in the "official publication,"
>_The Oxyrhynchus Papyri, Vol. 50_ , pp. 3 - 8, plate 1.

--The page numbers in NewDocs 7 are 242-243; it is apparently a reprint of
the text of the _editio princeps_ in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri volume.

For p90 there is also:
_The New Testament in Greek IV: The Gospel According to St. John, Vol 1: The
Papyri, ed. by W. J. Elliott and D. C. Parker (Leiden: Brill, 1995) 116-118
with plates 47a-b.
--this is the "first fruits" of the IGNTP John project. It includes complete
photographs of all the Johannine papyri except p66 and p75.

For p98--a fragment of the Apocalypse, 1:13-20--see (this info is from the
Aland vol. mentioned above):
D. Hagedorn, "Johannesapokalypse 1,13-20," _Zeitschrift fur Papyrologie und
Epigraphik_ 92 (1992) 243-247.

Mike Holmes