Subject: Equidistant Letters

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:59:15 -0500

If I recall, the elusive article mentioned early in the current thread
appeared in _Statistical Science_, by Witztum, et al., 9(1994):429-438. 
This article, along with a number of other items on ELS, is available at
        http://www.opendoor.com/HigherGround/proof.html

This site illustrates a problem of mutually contradictory "proofs" derived
from ELS.  Some find that Yeshua is revealed as the Messiah in the Torah,
while others find evidence for Orthodox Jewish teaching.

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies

---

From: Nichael Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:33:41 -0500 (EST)

>         http://www.opendoor.com/HigherGround/proof.html

Harold

Thank you for the pointer.  I believe, however there is a typo in the 
above.  The correct URL is:

  http://www.opendoor.com/higher.ground/proof.html
                                ^

BTW, the text of the paper:

   "Equidistant Letter Sequences in theBook of Genesis"
    by Doron Witztum, Eliyahu Rips and Yoav Rosenberg
    (Statistical Science 1994, Vol. 9, No. 3, 429-438)

Can be found at:
  http://www.math.gatech.edu/~jkatz/Religions/Numerics/genesis.html

Nichael Cramer
work: [email-masked]
home: [email-masked]
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/

---

From: Nichael Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:53:52 -0500 (EST)

>   http://www.math.gatech.edu/~jkatz/Religions/Numerics/genesis.html

After a poking around a bit more, I came up with the following URL:

   http://www.math.gatech.edu/~jkatz/Religions/Numerics/torah-bdm.html

Which contains the paper:

                    Some comments on
   "Equidistant Letter Sequences in the Book of Genesis",
     by Doron Witztum, Eliya Rips and Yaacov Rosenberg.
       Statistical Science, Vol. 9, No. 3 (1994) 429-438.

        Brendan McKay, Australian National University
                   Edition: May 7, 1996.

Which forms something of a rebuttal to (or at least a critcial examination 
of) the original paper.

Also, the "parent page" to both the pages above:

     http://www.math.gatech.edu/~jkatz/Religions/Numerics/

Contains a section containing a number of pointers related to this 
topic.  Probably the most interesting is:

     http://www.math.gatech.edu/~jkatz/Religions/Numerics/tcoderes.html

which contains the "Internet Resources" page for a mailing list devoted 
to this very topic.

Enjoy

Nichael Cramer
work: [email-masked]
home: [email-masked]