Subject: Mathematical Error

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:11:08 -0700

TCers --

A minor note to anyone who may have visited my web site in the last 24 hours
(the web counter implies that there weren't any, but the support forum at
my provider has a complaint from a person who says the counter doesn't work).
I posted a couple of new articles yesterday, of which the largest and most
important had to do with mathematics and its application to textual
criticism. I didn't proofread the article until after I posted it, and
it turned out I had made a calculation error at one point. It's now fixed,
but if anyone downloaded the article, be sure to get the correct one.
(As a bonus, to make up for my error, I added a couple of new sections.)

Also, if there are any mathematicians out there, my apologies for all
the hand-waving the article contains. I thought I could make such mathematics
as is needed for TC come out relatively smoothly. Turns out I couldn't;
the result is more rigorous (i.e. complicated) than I had expected, and
still glosses over a lot of important material. Sigh.

I also eventually had to give up Lynx compatibility. It's a "Netscape
or Else" situation. You can't do math without superscripts, subscripts,
tables, and graphics!

A final note: I just threw in some mathematical topics that occurred
to me. I will probably add more later. If anyone has suggestions, let
me know. I will try to supply what is needed. (Just don't ask for
any non-Euclidean geometry... we never got into that.... :-)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                            Robert B. Waltz
                         [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A very rough draft of part of the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)