Subject: Koren vs BHS (2)

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:21:50 -0500

About a week ago I posted two items on the tc-list, but I am not sure if
they were actually received, perhaps because of swichover problems.. I have
now added some additional information supplied by several of you.  

In addition to the valuable resource list shared by Price, some (most?)
editions of the Koren Tanakh include a list of differences between their
edition and other editions.  Their list does not include matres lectionis
differences; thus for the Torah only Gen 9:29 and Deut 23:2 are listed. 
Further, the list is not necessarily a comparison with BHS.  My guess is
that it is a comparison with the second Rabbinic Bible.

A new Tanakh was just published in a Hebrew-English diglot "Stone" edition
by Mesorah Publications, Brooklyn, NY.  It will be interesting to see how
well this Hebrew text is received in the Jewish religious community as
something of a rival to the well-received Koren edition.  As far as the
text is concerned, in a very preliminary check I have spotted a few
readings in Stone which agree with L (via BHS?) but it generally agrees
with Koren.

All this suggests the need for a careful electronic comparison of the major
editions and manuscripts along the lines already undertaken by Price.  The
electronic status of the different texts is not well documented.  This
would, of course, be a major first step.  My understanding of the situation
is as follows:

PRINTED EDITIONS

BHS (extremely close to L):  the Westminster-CCAT file in its most recent
release(s) should be considered the authority for this file.  It should be
noted, however, that the Westminster morph version includes some changes
not introduced in to the latest printed edition of BHS (1990).   Many of
these changes will be introduced into the next printing of BHS (probably
1997).  Note that practically all of the 1990 and upcoming 1997 changes are
teamim.  The revised edition of BHS, tentatively designated BHQ (Quinta),
should advance the accuracy of the electronic file even further. 
Ultimately, these files will be available for academic research.

Koren:  Torah used in "Torah Codes" program.  Is the Nakh available?  

"Stone":  ArtScroll has a computer program of Torah

Davka CD-ROM, "The Holy Scriptures"

 "Bar Ilan Judaic Library" CD-ROM:  I am under the impression that these
files are essentially related to the Rabbinic Bible.  Does anyone have more
information?

MANUSCRIPTS

Aleppo:  currently appearing in print (for the extant portions of the ms)
in several editions:
        HUBP:  Isaiah, Jeremiah forthcoming
        Bar Ilan Miqraot Gedolot:  Joshua - Isaiah
        Breuer edition (Jerusalem: Kook, 1989), but I have detected a
number of examples where it does not totally conform to the ms.
According to P. Cassuto (IOMS 8th Congress, p. 3, fn.3) CATAB has an
electronic file.  Cassuto is arranging the AIBI  5 program , to be held in
Aix-en-Provence, 1 -4  September 1997.  This would be a good occasion to
discuss informally the issue of Tanakh texts.

Leningradensis:  See BHS

Cairo:  CATAB, according to Cassuto

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies