Subject: Equidistant letters

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 16:36:18 -0600 (CST)

Is anyone familiar with an article in Statistical Science (Aug 94) or in 
Bible Review (Oct 95) or The Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 
152:1, 1988)?  I have received claims that amazing statistical sequences 
in the Hebrew proves (even supernaturally so) the accuracy of the Masoretic 
text and/or certain translations.  This seems mystical to me, but I have
not seen the arguments.  Has anyone evaluated such claims?

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:20:50 -0600 (CST)

For James Adair,
Every time I post to the tc list, I get two messages returned 
undeliverable that were sent to [email-masked]
Is this a problem with my program or his?

---

From: "Lewis Reich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 08:27:55 -500

On  7 Feb 97 at 16:36, Ronald L. Minton wrote:

> text and/or certain translations.

I have read the Bible Review article and it seems an intelligent 
summary of what was done along with a good layman's discussion of 
some of the statistical issues.    Of course, all statistics can do, 
in effect,  is make statements on the likelihood that a particular 
result could be obtained by pure chance.  What conclusions one draws 
from those statistical results  are beyond the realm of statistics.

Lewis Reich
[email-masked]