Subject: re: Rev. 1:4

From: "Vinton A. Dearing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:35:13 PST

When I said that Rev 1:1-3 was the title  of the book, I was not 
referring to a title supplied by an editor. The book of Revelation is 
in the form of a letter, with the usual kind of salutation, "John to 
the seven churches which are in Asia. Grace be unto you" (compare 
"James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve 
tribes which are scattered abroad. Greeting"; or "Paul, an apostle of 
Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the 
saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colossae. Grace 
be unto you").  The letter also has the usual close (22:21), "The 
grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all" (compare Galatians
6:18, "Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your
spirit"). Rev. 1:1-3 are a title supplied by the writer, not an editor, 
which is why these verses are the same in all the manuscripts, and
why, when the fact is recognized, "John" is sometimes capitalized
in vs. 4.
    Vinton A. Dearing

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 02:59:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Vinton A. Dearing wrote:

> referring to a title supplied by an editor. 

Granted. However, since not even all KJV editions capitalize PAUL or PETER
at the initial words of their epistles, this situation at Apoc.1:4 is
still a purely editorial decision on the part of some printers or editors. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~