Subject: Re: Byzantine Canon

From: [email-masked] (Nichael Lynn Cramer)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:58:08 -0500

Mr. Helge Evensen wrote:
>I have not been able to find very much information on the Canonical
>situation in the Byzantine Empire. [...]
>Are there some references made by the Church Fathers of that area that
>could help in determining whether or not the Byzantine Church during the
>NT-transmission period (c. 400-1453) accepted the O.T. Apocrypha as
>belonging to the Holy Scriptures or the O.T. Canon, i.e. if they
>accepted the Apocrypha on the *same level* with the Canon? Does any of
>the later Eastern Fathers refer to this? [...]
>I also would like to know in what degree the Greek Church
>transmitted/copied the text of the LXX. How many of the surviving copies
>of the LXX are from the Byzantine area?   [...]

>Lastly: Can anyone refer me to articles or books that could contribute to
>any clarity on this??

Two books, both by the same author, that cover in detail virtually all of
the questions that you ask (and are, moreover, true pleasures to read):

 Bruce M. Metzger _The Text of the NT: Its Transmission, Corruption and
Restoration_ 3ed. (Oxford 1992)

 Bruce M. Metzger _The Canon of the NT: Its Origin, Development and
Significance_ (Oxford 1987)

Nichael                                 "Pull down...
[email-masked]                           ...tear up."
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/                    -D. Martin