Subject: Hebrew texts

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:40:29 -0500

Andrew Smith asked about two editions of the Hebrew Bible:

1.  Norman Snaith, unsatisfied that codex L, which was the basis of BHK/S,
was the best representative of the Ben Asher tradition, prepared an edition
based on his study of several famous, high quality, Sephardic mss.  It
could have been a worthwhile contribution to the study of the various
strands of masoretic tradition; unfortunately, the execution of the project
seems to be plagued by a number of misprints and apparent inconsistencies. 
There was a very critical review of Snaith in HUCA.  Unfortunately I do not
have the bibliographic reference at hand.

2. In 1852 Meyer Levi Letteris first published a slightly revised edition
of the van der Hooght Hebrew Bible, which itself was based on the edition
of Athias and Buxtorf's Rabbinic Bible.  Letteris has been frequently
reprinted and represents a generally reliable edition of the text of the
Hebrew Bible as found in the Rabbinic Bible tradition

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]