Subject: Re: Mac collation program

From: [email-masked] (bakker)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:21:39 +0100

I intended to reply to Bill Warren's request off list, but since collation
is daily praxis for TC-ers a few words on Collate:

This is a very effective and smart collation program for the Mac. The new
project edition of Collate 2 will be even better (we are now beta-testing
it).

I would never been able to write my dissertation (see Dr Parker's review in
TC 2) without it. For the collation of MSS with a lot of orthographic
variation it is worth to make the considerable investment of digitising the
witnesses in extenso (if this process is done properly, it has to be done
only once). Through a process of what we call data abstraction you can
isolate in a transparent and heuristic way the *significant* variants. For
Slavic and Armenian MSS it proved very successful. I also collated Greek
Apostolos lectionary MSS. Although Greek (Byzantine) MSS are much more
stable, it still remains methodologically very prudent to work in the
following fashion: instead of picking the significant variant readings
(disregarding itacisms etc.), the researcher has to indicate which readings
are *not* significant (Collate initially lists every difference as a
variant). Collate offers the possibility of close co-operation and - very
important - checking every step in the work of a computer collater.

Michael Bakker - Amsterdam

>Those interested in a "Mac based program for collating mss" should contact
>
>        http://elsa.dmu.ac.uk/~jdp/Collate/collate.html
>
>for more information on a program called *Collate 2*.
>
>Ulrich Schmid, Muenster
>
>
>
>>Some time ago (perhaps last spring) mention was made of a Mac based program
>>for collating mss.  If you know of such a program, I would appreciate any
>>info you could furnish.  Please reply directly to me rather than occupy the
>>list's time and space.
>
>>Thanks,
>
>>Bill Warren
>>Professor of New Testament and Greek
>>New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 97 16:59:40 +0100

Sorry, I used the wrong return address.

Ulrich Schmid, Muenster