Subject: Rev 12:18

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:38:08 -0500 (EST)

In this text a variant exists which seems to be easy to resolve.  The
majority of good, early, Alexandrian (!!!) witnesses read <g>estaqh</g>
while the later, poorer, Byzantine (!!!)  witnesses have <g>estaqhn</g>.

I realize that NA 26 does not have every variant- so I am wondering; what is
the versional evidence here and what do y'all think is the "original" reading?

Thanks,

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West
[email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 21:55:49 -0500 (EST)

> the versional evidence here and what do y'all think is the "original" reading?

Despite the deprecation of the good and noble Byzantine MSS (which I will
address separately in a subsequent post), I can provide the versional data
from Hoskier's collation data (_Concerning the Text of the Apocalypse_):

Reading with "estaqh" are all the Latins, syr-sigma (not -s, whatever
Hoskier means by that), the Ethiopic and Armenian 1,3.

Reading with "estaqhn" are the Coptic (Sa and Bo), syr-s, Armenian a4.

The significant peculiarity is that the Coptic versions support the
Byzantine reading and not that of the early Egyptian uncials. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~