Subject: Re:Three new books for TC-list

From: [email-masked] (Leonard Greenspoon)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:31:00 -0600

HURRY!  HURRY!  HURRY!   This is a once-in-a-lifetime (or at least
weekend) offer, not to be repeated.  This is your chance to influence
scholars and win over tenure-promotion committees.  Below are three new
books, just received, and ready and available for TC review.  You ask, I
send you the book, you agree to send us your review within two months, we
edit it within a week, it's published in TC--voila:  what could be easier?
Make your choice quickly;  supplies are limited (to say the least)--thanks,
leonard

MULLEN, Roderic L.  THE NEW TESTAMENT TEXT OF CYRIL OF JERUSALEM

HANNAH, Darrell D.  THE TEXT OF 1 CORINTHIANS IN THE WRITINGS OF ORIGEN

WEVERS, John William.  NOTES ON THE GREEK TEXT OF LEVITICUS

---

From: kdlitwak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:40:52 -0800

Dear Leonard,

    If I'm not too late, I'd very much like to review one of these
books.  My first choice would be 1 Corinthians in Origen, but I'm
flexible.  Thanks.

Kenneth Litwak
Ph.D. student in NT
Graduate Theological Union
Berkeley, CA

---

From: kdlitwak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:43:21 -0800

I apologixe to the list that while under the influence of Nyquil I
sent a private message to the whole list.  

Ken Litwak

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:18:26 -0600 (CST)

Could some NT types list one or two scholarly journals for text criticism 
and/or NT studies in general? 

Please exclude the following: general theology, The Bible Translator, 
JSNT, JBL, Novum Testamentum, NT Studies,

Thanks in advance.

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: kdlitwak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:42:06 -0800

>From time to time one sees text-critical articles or notes in Novum
Testamentum.  Discussion of the fragments associated with Matthew that
cuased such an uproar last year appeared in the Tyndale Bulletin.  One
would also likely find such discussions in New Testament Stduies, to
name just three journals, not to mention the electronic journal related
to this list.  

Ken Litwak

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 97 17:11:07 +0100

Depending on the languages one is familiar with and/or the questions one likes 
to address, I would suggest the following journals related to the study of the 
biblical text and to textual criticism in general:

Revue Biblique, Paris

Biblica, Roma

Zeitschrift fuer Papyrologie und Epigraphik, Bonn (Germany)

Byzantinische Zeitschrift, Stuttgart und Leipzig (Germany)

Scrittura e Civiltà, Firenze (Italy)

Scriptorium, Bruxelles (Belgium)

Revue Biblique and Biblica occasionally publish text critical studies from both 
parts of the Bible (as, e.g., NTS, NT, JBL). Non-English articles usually 
include an English summary.

Warning for beginners!!!: The other journals are devoted to manuscript 
transmission in general, mostly medieval, mostly non-biblical, mostly Greek and 
Latin covering all sorts of book-technical (codicological, scribal, editorial, 
etc.) aspects as well as discussions of variae lectiones, conjectures, 
corrections of older editions, newly edited texts, leaves, fragments, 
illustrations, descriptions and examinations of ancient libraries, 
identifications of scribes, etc. The articles are written in English, French, 
Italian, German, Spanish, Greek (rarely). 
However, the advanced student of NT textual criticism should have at least an 
idea of what the real specialists in manuscript matters are doing.

Very useful bibliographical tools are

*Elenchus of Biblica, Roma*: A huge tool of reference covering all sorts of 
publications regarding biblical matters (exegesis, translations, editions, 
languages, archeology, sociology, etc.). Disadvantage: It seeks to cover 
exhaustively publications of one year, therefore it is usually four to five 
years in delay. 

*L' année philologique, Paris*: Covering publications in the realm of Classics 
in general including biblical matters and church history. The same disadvantage 
as the Elenchus.

*Bibliographie papyrologique, Bruxelles*: Covering publications in the realm of 
papyrology (papyri in Greek and Egyptian languages), mostly non-biblical. 

Ulrich Schmid, Muenster

--