Subject: Re: Coptic Grammar

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:38:25 -0500 (EST)

I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a good coptic grammar on
the introductory level (for a course I must teach next fall).

Thanks,

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]
or
[email-masked]

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:08:21 -0500 (EST)

Jim,

The one I used is Thomas O. Lambdin, _Introduction to Sahidic Coptic_
(Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1983).  It begins with the basics and
is
easy to use.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

---

From: "Melvin K.H. Peters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:36:25 -0500 (EST)

Jim,

The following might not be suitable for student use by virtue of its 
price and its rather sophisticated terminology in places, but it is more 
recent than Lambdin, and was prepared by one of the most distinguished 
grammarians of Coptic.  It should provide a valuable point of reference.

A. Shisha-Halevy,  Coptic Grammatical Chrestomathy, A Course for Academic 
and Private Study. OLA 30.Leuven, Peeters, 1988.

Its glossary will prove quite useful and its bibliography includes most of 
the important older grammars including those dealing with dialects 
other than Sahidic.  Hope this helps.

Melvin K. H. Peters				Phone:(919) 660-3508
Department of Religion				Fax:  (919) 660-3530
Duke University Box 90964			E-mail:[email-masked]
Durham, NC 27708-0964  U.S.A.