Subject: Re: Mark 1:41

From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:57:33 -0500

At 09:10  3/17/97 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>The only difference is that Mark adds our varient word (you choose) in the
>blank. It seems to me that if his original wording were "with pity" Mt & Lk
>would have very likely kept it in their Gospels. On the other hand, if the
>wording originally was one of anger, it might have been removed by the other
>writers as not suiting their overall purpose in writing about that incident.

I think this is a good point, and one I've wondered about before.
However, although Markan priority is one of the intrinsic probabilities
used in evaluating the internal evidence [Metzger, TEXTUAL COMMENTART, p.
*14], one is hard pressed to find many examples where Markan priority
even comes up much less where it plays a decisive role in TC of the
gospels.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
[email-masked]              : and songs chant the words.
http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/ :               -- Shujing 2.35