Subject: variations in LXX text(s)

From: ANDREW SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:18:08 -0500 (EST)

I freely admit that I know almost nothing about the LXX. I'm trying to
figure out which text Wulfia used as his Vorlage for his translation of
the Tanakh (most scholars say it was the LXX).

How great are the differences between different text families within the
LXX? Would one be able to work backwards from the Gothic text to determine
which LXX variants were used as the Vorlage? Or are the variations so
small that they would get lost in a translation?

- Andrew C. Smith

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 1997 00:23:29 -0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

[email-masked] asked:
> Would one be able to work backwards from the Gothic text to determine
> which LXX variants were used as the Vorlage?

Yes.  The result was that the Vorlage was found to be from a
Lucianic edition of the LXX, which is of course not surprising, given
Wulfilas' roots in Constantinople.  The number of variants
available for this analysis was not large, as success seems to have
depended on one leaf of Nehemiah having been cleaned and become more legible.
This information is from Streitberg's "Die Gotische Bibel".

Vincent Broman         Email: [email-masked],[email-masked]     =   o     
2224 33d St.             Phone: +1 619 284 3775                    =  _ /- _   
San Diego, CA  92104-5605  Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W     =  (_)> (_)  
___ PGP protected mail preferred.  For public key finger [email-masked] ___