Subject: Heb 10:23 & ASV97

From: "Mr. Helge Evensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 22:59:26 -0800

Since my "inbox" has not been directly invaded by messages from the 
tc-list lately, I decided to post two questions, which I hope will cause 
some response:

1) In Heb.10:23 the KJV has "faith" where the Greek has "hope" (elpis). 
Some have asserted that the King´s translators simply produced this 
rendering due to their failure to distinguish between pistis and elpis in 
this instance. In other words, the translators just missed it here. But 
this seems very unlikely, in the face of the learning and skills of the 
many translators involved. Can anybody give a report on this??

2) Lately I read about a new translation project (which is appearing on 
the Net) called the "American Standard Version 1997" (ASV 97). I checked 
Matthew 10:8 and found it to omit the phrase "raise the dead" (found in 
the old uncials and the TR) which means the "ASV 97" follows a majority 
text reading here. Is there anybody out there who knows about the project 
and its textbase??

All responses will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-- 
- Mr. Helge Evensen