Subject: Re:

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:21:26 -0500

E.J. Epp, *The Theological Tendency of Codex Bezae Cantabrigiensis in Acts,*
SNTS.MS 3 (Cambridge: CUP, 1966), esp. pp. 41-end.

D.C. Parker, *Codex Bezae* (Cambridge: CUP, 1991), passim (my copy is at
home;  just check the index).

See also, on related (Western) texts:

J.R. Harris, "Was the Diatessaron Anti-Judaic?" in HThR 18 (1925), 103-109.

H.J Vogels, *Handbuch der neutest. Textkritik,* (Muenster 1923), 200-201.

A. Voeoebus, *Early Versions of the NT,* PETSE 6 (Stockholm 1954), pp. 18-19.

and my *Tatian's Diatessaron*, pp. 119-120, 252 n. 128, 420, 428.

When considering this issue, care should be taken to discriminate between
"anti-Semitism" of the variety found in (1) later Christianity (e.g., the
*Vita Constantini* of Eusebius [3.18]), which is a Gentile "us" against a
hated, Jewish "them"--which is analogous to modern Christian anti-Semitism),
and (2) the internecine struggle *among* Jews in early Christianity, some of
when believed Jesus was "messiah," and some of whom did not--but *all* of
whom considered themselves still "Jews," and kept kosher practices, etc.
(cp. Acts 2.46, 3.1, 5.21, 5.42 [always preaching in the "Temple"], 10-11
[Peter is still kosher, as, apparently, are the other disciples...]; cp. the
reports about Judaic-Christians in Epiphanius, the Ps.-Clementines, etc.).
The two are not the same, and have different causes, goals, and
psychological contexts.

--Petersen, Penn State Univ.

At 11:19 AM 3/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am interested in the purported anti-semitism of D.
>
>Could someone provide a bibiography?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jim West
>Adjunct Professor of Bible
>Quartz Hill School of Theology
>
>[email-masked]
>or
>[email-masked]
>
>
>