Subject: Re: Theological tendencies and the Text

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 06:48:16 -0400

>
>On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, RONALD DAVID LARGE wrote:

>>  	2) Conybeare wrote of Eusebius' citations of Matthew 28:19 (eighteen in
>> all) in works between 300-336 A.D.,and invariably found them to be in the
>> following form, "Go ye and make disciples of all nations, IN MY NAME,
>> teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I have commanded you.".
>> Is anyone intimate with the evidence here? Does Patristic research shed any
>> light on this "variant" ?
>> 
>> Thoughts.... comments?
>> Thanks in advance, and God bless...
>> David Large
>>

George Howard--who is on this list--wrote an article on Matt 28:19 some
years ago;  my recollection is that it appeared in JBL (I will check
tomorrow in the office;  Prof. Howard may be able to answer directly...).
Also: Howard's "Hebrew Matthew" (Shem-Tob's, actually...) has a *most*
interesting end to Matt--which runs along the lines of Eusebius's.

It seems clear on "internal" criteria (internal within the NT, that is...)
that Matt 28:19 is a later addition, for otherwise the actions of Peter in
Acts 10-11 and Paul's contratemps with the "pillars" in Jerusalem (James,
Cephas, and John are named in Gal. 2:9;  Peter is, indirectly, under the
same stricture in Gal. 2:8) are incomprehensible.

--Petersen, Penn State Univ.

---

From: george howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 97 10:04:29 EDT

>--Petersen, Penn State Univ.
My article on the short end of Matthew is: "A Note on the Short Ending of Matth
ew," HTR 81 (1988): 117-20.

                           George Howard
                           UGA