Subject: Re: text divisions of the Gospels

From: "Jean Valentin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 97 00:11:24 +0200

On Mar 29 Avr 1997 19:43, [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> wrote:

> With respect to text divisions you should consult H. von Soden, Die
Schriften 
> des Neuen Testaments..., I. Teil: Untersuchungen, I. Abteilung: Die
> Textzeugen, 
> Goettingen, 1911, pp. 388-485. Following O. Schmid, Ueber verschiedene 
> Einteilungen der Heiligen Schrift, Graz, 1892, von Soden (pp. 476.483)
points 
> out that our modern chapter division goes back to Stephan Langton prior
to
> 1206 
> AD, whereas our modern verse division goes back to Stephanus' editions
(1551, 
> 1555).
Thanks for the reference from von Soden, I'll check it!

> 
> The latin mumbers from the margin of your arabic MS seem to roughly
equate
> our 
> modern chapter division, as far as I understand. Since this modern
_latin_ 
> chapter division also made its way in some (late) Greek MSS, maybe it's
also
> the 
> source for the arabic MS.  
Very roughly then... But my ms is much earlier, as it is (paleographically)
dated from the Xth century.

> BTW -- What is the date of your arabic MS? Are there different hands
> detectable? 
> Do the marginal notes belong to the original scribe?
> 
The Arabic ms is from the Xth century. I haven't been able to determine if
the marginal notes were of the same hand as the Arabic writing. I have only
a microfilm (black and white...).
As to the "latin" numerals, the "X" is written as it is sometimes in greek
or even in coptic (a bit curved). Ideally, I should post a gif of a page,
but for that I should find somebody with a scanner.

> >(3) Other signs I haven't been able to read :
> 
> You should check von Soden.
Definitely I will. I'll also check in the lectionaries as these could be
liturgical marks.

---------------------------------------------------------
Jean Valentin - Brussels - Belgium
---------------------------------------------------------
email : [email-masked] /// netmail : 2:291/780.103
---------------------------------------------------------
"Si l'amour est la reponse, voulez-vous bien me rappeler quelle etait la
question?"
"If love is the answer, would you please remind me what the question was?"
---------------------------------------------------------