From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:07:29 -0500 (EST)

At 03:00 PM 4/15/97 +0100, you wrote:

>However, the main difficulties have not been accounted for, yet:
>1. If the location of the (concluding) doxology after chapter 15 was original, 
>why would most of the MSS place the doxology after chapter 14 with chapters 
>15+16 still to follow?

This is the great mystery.  Perhaps for the same reason (unknown) that the
Johannine pericope about the adulterous woman "floats"; that is, various
scribes attempted to solve the problem in various wasy- just as we are.

>2. Within the latin textual tradition we have evidence that the doxology once 
>was placed after chapter 14 with nothing left to follow.

Perhaps because the scribe simply stopped (?).

>3. The marcionite version of Romans ended after chapter 14 without the
doxology. 
>BTW-- the marcionite version is half a century older than P46.
>

I have a great deal of trouble trusting Marcion.  He definitely had an axe
to grind.

But, as you say, many of these issues are Literarkritik.

>Ulrich Schmid, Muenster

Jim
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]