Subject: liturgy on the net

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 97 20:25:59 +0200

Hello TC-ers :

A few URL for those who want a first approach to the eastern liturgies, 
as we have been speaking about these in the last threads.

A quick initiation to the plan of the liturgy can be found at :
http://the-hermes.net/~hrycak/liturgy.html

The liturgy of St John Chrysostom, which is the main liturgy of the 
chalcedonian Greek, Slavic and Melkite churches, orthodox and catholic, 
can be found at many places - never the whole text, it probably would be 
too long to type. Anyhow, the most important part of it. Just to name two 
URL's :
http://www.cris.com/~bronson/6mass.html
http://esoptron.umd.edu/ugc/liturgy1.html

The Liturgy of St Basil - not the one of the Greeks which has hardly 
anything common with it except the name, but the main liturgy of the 
Coptic church, can be found at :
http://pharos.bu.edu/cn/prayers/StBasilLiturgy.html

The Liturgy of St James in the syrian rite is used by a quite interesting 
"Antiochene Catholic Church of America". They say it's a "recension" of 
the one used by the Syrian orthodox Church of Antioch, but I found it to 
be quite true to the syriac text:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~thomas/acca/liturgy.html

Here's the address of a server that has the text of most of the important 
liturgies, eastern and western, only is it not in a formatted html 
presentation. It has Chrysostom, St James both in the Greek and Syriac 
recensions (called "syrian rite"), the Chaldean mass of the Apostles... I 
haven't checked everything, it's hardly possible as I just discovered it, 
but it's a good place to begin...
http://www.alltel.net/~gacanon/liturgy.html

Of course, you'll be better documented if you buy liturgical books (but 
often they're expensive) or go to the manuscripts. But the main texts are 
there and it's valuable for a first contact. If you download some of 
these texts and read them once in a while, you will have a valuable 
source of information (and some very beautiful texts, think about the 
spiritual and theological depth in the Chrysostom liturgy!).

I remember also that at the Holy Bible Web Site 
(http://www.redbay.com/newbies/mag) there are links that lead to archives 
where you will find a well-known collection of patristical texts 
translated into English, among which some liturgies are present. They are 
in the format of the Windows help.

I hope I haven't made scribal errors in the URL's. Our century will 
probably be remembered in history for its high level of technology, but 
also for the human mistakes that it implies!

________________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 58/7 rue Van Kalck - 1080 Bruxelles - BELGIQUE
________________________________________________________________
email : [email-masked]   ***   netmail : 2:291/780.103
________________________________________________________________
Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable.
Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar.