Subject: Re: Eph 5:9

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 18:17:59 +0100

> I don't know exactly what Maurice's "four volumes of data" consisted of he 
> reportedly saw in Kampen in 1989. The Muenster *Institut* holds a copy of 
> Wisselink's published dissertation called *Assimilation as a criterion for the 
> establishment of the text. A comparative study on the basis of passages from 
> Matthew, Mark and Luke; Kampen 1989*. The *Institut* holds another unpublished 
> (or privately published) copy of three volumes under the same header: 
> *Assimilation as...Matthew, Mark and Luke; Annex 1: The collations, Kampen 
> 1987*, *Assimilation...; Annex 2: The tables, Kampen 1987*, 
> *Assimilation...Annex 3: The comparison, Kampen 1987*.

> Just as a guess: Maurice saw Wisselink's published dissertation and the three 
> annexes in Kampen which makes up a total of four volumes.  

You are probably correct, Ulrich, except that I probably saw the
_unpublished_ form of what was also the published dissertation, which was
bound similarly to the other three volumes of data so as to make four
identical volumes.

> >Wisselink's data points to the Byzantine Textform as being the most 
> >free of harmonization/assimilation in the Gospels. I suspect that this 
> >is not the result you were expecting.
> 
> Maurice, could you please add the relevant quotation from Wisselink's 
published 
> dissertation displaying THIS result?
> I must confess, I couldn't find it, neither in one of Wisselink's annexes.

I will have to search Wisselink's single published volume for what I
confessedly remember from when I first read it some time ago. I was
certain that he made a claim to the effect that the Byzantine Textform
_may_ have as many _alleged_ harmonizations as have been claimed for it,
but that upon examination the alleged harmonizations were generally
invalid, and that the other major texttypes in contrast possessed valid
harmonizations. This of course by default makes the Byzantine Textform
"less harmonized" than the other texttypes. Were you not able to find
something of that sort in the book?  I know that from talking with
Wisselink while in Kampen (he is a Reformed Church pastor living about 2
hours away from Kampen) that we specifically discussed that conclusion as
a major result of his research.