Subject: Publish

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:45:20 -0500 (EST)

I know I said I would be silent, but... (and this really will be my final
comment)  :>)
We have assurance from Petersen of Penn State that worthwhile essays are
published- even by undergrads!  So, Maurice, send along an article to JBL
(because  it will surely get a fair hearing by impartial referees); and lets
see if its true.

A simple demonstration of the truthfulness of the suggestions by Hurtado and
Petersen that anybody can be published!

Maurice, do let us know how you fare; and while your at it- send along a
copy of your article to TC- the Electronic Journal, and then we can all look
at it and see if JBL is partial or impartial!

Jim

(just along for the ride in the search for "truth").

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West
[email-masked]

---

From: Nichael Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:04:19 -0400 (EDT)

Jim West wrote:
> [...]
> Petersen that anybody can be published!  [...]

Sigh...

I'm sorry Jim, but I have to ask; Do you really not understand the 
distinction between these cheap shots and the (quite reasonable) points 
that Profs Hurtado and Petersen have made? 

Nichael Cramer
work: [email-masked]
home: [email-masked]
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

> I know I said I would be silent, but... (and this really will be my final

Mine too, I trust.

> (because  it will surely get a fair hearing by impartial referees); and lets

My brief reply to all of this is that my first published article mentioned
earlier was in _Biblica_, which is a refereed journal. At the time it was
accepted I was a mere M.Div. student (though it was published after I was
in the Th.M. program), so Petersen certainly is correct in that regard. 

Also, I have (even last summer) sent articles to refereed journals and got
the rejection slips Hurtado mentioned.  But as I stated in a previous
post, the primary issue in my opinion is still space/cost considerations,
and not necessarily rejection due to lack of quality or interpretative
views or theories (though these may affect the judgments of some of the
peer reviewers).

Certainly I will continue to offer various studies to peer reviewed
journals in the future, but as I also mentioned, I expect rejection as a
matter of course, since only a relatively few articles actually do get
accepted.  Basically, I remain quite content with presenting papers at
scholarly meetings such as ETS, and am not exactly devastated that my
text-critical views have not appeared in any refereed journal to date. 
For all I know they may never be, but I am unconcerned, since there remain
many other avenues of publication, even such as our own in-house seminary
journal (in which two of the previously rejected articles are appearing).
This for me is perfectly satisfactory, and may even be preferable to some
degree, since I retain some authorial/editorial control over the content.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~