Subject: Re: Languages for specific biblical books in TC

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 16:17:02 -0400

At 12:16 PM 4/21/97 -0700, Ken Litwack wrote:
>Given that even within a given MS, the "text type" may vary, I'd
>like to ask a question about versions.  My area of focus, atleast for my
>doctoral study, is Luke=Acts.  Obviously, an acquaintance with D in
>Greek is important for that.  Beyond Greek MSS, however, which langauge
>would be next of importance? Latin, Syriac? Or am I mistaken in thinking
>that the particular text might determine which version(s) would be of
>most value? 

Since D is a bilingual, I would presume you would be interested in *both* of
its languages, right?  That means Latin...  Because of Bezae's strong
textual link with the East, and its numerous singular readings with the
Syriac (or trilateral readings, with the Syriac and the Latin), putting
Syriac in your toolbox would also be highly recommended.  See, for example,
F.H. Chase's studies about a century ago...

--Petersen, Penn State Univ.

---

From: Matthew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:54:11 -0700 (PDT)

> At 12:16 PM 4/21/97 -0700, Ken Litwack wrote:
[snipped]
> > Beyond Greek MSS, however, which langauge

Actually, as Parker points out in his fascinating book, "Codex Bezae",
the Latin and Greek Texts of D are mostly independent.

But Latin is still of great interest for Western texts in
general, not just D, because of the Old Latin's close relation
to the Western text-type.

Matthew Johnson
Waiting for the blessed hope and the appearance of the glory of our 
great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Ti 2:13).