Subject: Re: Transmission theories? (was: re: Alexandrian text)

From: "L. Mark Bruffey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 09:40:48 -0400 (EDT)

I do agree that academia tends to stifle views that would contradict
"conclusions" already established, and hence tends to classify research and
discussion which does not conform technically to those conclusions and the
methods employed in reaching those conclusions as unimportant, incompetent,
or simply uninformative.  I do see it as a rather exclusivist mindset.

Nevertheless, the academy does serve a useful purpose for me, and I have
benefited in many ways from the research of those involved with the academy,
though often I find myself using the valuable data presented by academicians
to reach different and better conclusions than that which has been formally
presented.

The point, however, of my posting is to agree with Prof. Hurtado that
formally distinguishing between various levels of discussion would be
helpful.  How about (1) tc.chat.list (or tc.discuss.list or
tc.informal.list) for "short note" type discussions or discussions involving
attention to some particular detail or idea or for "brainstorming" and (2)
tc.formal.list (or tc.papers.list) for extended discussions or formal
presentation of research or discussions of the articles published in TC.
Having two such lists would allow fitting vehicles both for those who
specialize in TC and for those who like myself have a serious interest in
the subject but lack the expertise and time to do extensive formal research
necessary to make significant large scale contributions in the field.

L. Mark Bruffey
[email-masked]

>We really do need to distinguish between a chat-line electronic 
>bulletin board, and a serious electronic discussion list.  Which is 
>that TC-list is?
>Larry Hurtado
>
>L. W. Hurtado
>University of Edinburgh,
>New College
>Mound Place 
>Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
>Phone: 0131-650-8920
>Fax: 0131-650-6579
>E-mail:  [email-masked]
>
>
L. Mark Bruffey
CBTS Library
1380 S Valley Forge Rd.
Lansdale  PA  19446