Subject: Re: Re; Rom 15:19

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 12:35:00 -0500 (EST)

At 09:28 AM 4/3/97 -0700, you wrote:

>
>I have to agree with Ulrich Schmid. I'm willing to switch off my brain
>under certain circumstances (to wit, when p46 Aleph A B C D G 33 1739
>agree) -- but basing a decision on just two witnesses is too few. Are
>you really saying that the "Western" text is *never* correct?
>
>
It is only correct when it agrees with the Alexandrian type- this is also
true of the Byzantine text; but I am willing to accept any evidence that
this is not so;  so far, I remain unconvinced and wish to be shown the error
of my ways.

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 13:12:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Jim West wrote:

> >Are you really saying that the "Western" text is *never* correct?
> >
> >

In other words, you are saying that the Western or Byzantine are only
correct when they agree with the Alexandrian -- this therefore basically
says only the Alexandrian is correct at all times.  Why?

I certainly have reasons to defend the Byzantine-priority hypothesis, but
these are both externally, internally, and transmissionally based.  What
is the basis for a pure "Alexandrian-priority" schema?

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~