Subject: Re: Antiquity

From: [email-masked] (Carlton Winbery)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 21:05:17 +0400

Perhaps it would be better for Jim to talk of specific places where the
reading of the oldest Greek ms containing a verse is wrong.

What would you say to Romans 8:28.  P46, clearly the oldest Greek ms but
not the oldest evidence (Clement, the Greek text behind the old latin).
The reading of P46 clearly is wrong even tho witnessed to by P46, A, B, &
81 because there is little likelihood that scribes would have omitted the
name of God.  The reading also fits what Paul was saying, i.e., having
mentioned God in the hOTI clause he assumed him as the subject of the verb
SUNERGEI.  So the wording of the verse as Paul wrote it gave rise to the
variation preserved in the earliest ms of Romans that we possess at the
moment.

Would you agree, Jim.

Carlton L. Winbery
114 Beall St.
Pineville, LA 71360
Fax (318) 442-4996
e-mail [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
Phone 318 487-7241 Home 448-6103