Subject: Re; Rom 15:19

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 09:20:31 -0500 (EST)

Clearly QEOU is original.  Whenever P46 and Sinaiticus agree you can rest
assured that the reading is original.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 97 16:53:43 +0100

>Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology

Well, that's good news. Stop thinking as long as P46 and Sinaiticus agree. 
Switch on your brain when they depart. Come on, Jim, I'm sure you have another 
hard and fast rule for those nasty cases.

Ulrich Schmid, Muenster

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:28:55 -0700

>hard and fast rule for those nasty cases.

I have to agree with Ulrich Schmid. I'm willing to switch off my brain
under certain circumstances (to wit, when p46 Aleph A B C D G 33 1739
agree) -- but basing a decision on just two witnesses is too few. Are
you really saying that the "Western" text is *never* correct?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                            Robert B. Waltz
                         [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A very rough draft of part of the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:51:04 -0500 (EST)

> assured that the reading is original.

Sounds a bit like Westcott and Hort on when Aleph and B unite....I have a
suspicion that this type of method is oversimplified.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~