Subject: Re: Rom. 15:19

From: [email-masked] (Carlton Winbery)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:51:41 +0400

Maurice Robinson wrote;
>Not to mention verse 13, which also could have had some influence. I am
>pleased to see the point being made and accepted of harmonization to the
>immediate context as a reason for rejecting a reading. :-)
>
>Let me ask, however, what might your decision have been, Carlton, assuming
>that there were _no_ other mention of the Holy Spirit in vv.13 and 16, nor
>any mention of "Spirit of God" in the immediate context?  Would your
>evaluation of internal criteria still fall along the same lines as my own
>in regard to Pauline usage, or what?  How also would you evaluate the
>external evidence without a compelling contextual harmonization as a
>possible cause?  Would your decision change?
>
I do not consider Pauline usage to be very helpful since he uses both.
Without the possibility of assimilation, the decision would be more
difficult.  I would admit that I was quite unsure.

Carlton L. Winbery
114 Beall St.
Pineville, LA 71360
Fax (318) 442-4996
e-mail [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
Phone 318 487-7241 Home 448-6103