Subject: Re: Eph 5:9

From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:28:07 -0500

I've noticed that the PNEUMATOS (Spirit) reading is found in P46, which
is quite old.  However, P49, also old, has FWTOS.

Given the age of the variants, I'm wondering if they could come from
misreading the handwriting of an uncial exemplar.  If Spirit is written
as a nomen sacrum, it takes up about the same amount of space and the
cross bar of the tau may be confused with the horizontal line.  I.e.,

    ----
    PNOC vs FWTOC

In which direction is a misreading of the examplar more likely?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
[email-masked]              : and songs chant the words.
http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/ :               -- Shujing 2.35

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:00:49 -0600 (CST)

For those who may not have read about this,
I noticed that Gannett News carried an article on papyri.  It is from 
Umich and says in part "six American papyrus collections are being 
brought together on the WWW with a grant from the NEH...next fall the 
Advanced Papyrological Information System will feature about 30,000 items 
and include translations, bibliography and links to related texts.  
Portions of the Michigan collection are already on line and can be 
accessed at http://www.lib.umich.edu/pap/ "

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:55:18 -0500 (EST)

> In which direction is a misreading of the examplar more likely?

Consider also that the nomen sacrum might have been the more usual PNC,
though certainly the case is helped by the longer form as given above.
Also, both P and F are of the same phonetic class (Labials) which could
also cause some confusion.  However, I still prefer a simple influence
from the close context to cause accidental error in writing FWTOS in this
place as the more likely possibility rather than confusion of letters.

Also, the age of the variants in a case like this should not be taken to
imply that all subsequent readings of FWTOS derive from P49 or its
archetype and that all readings of PNEUMATOS derive from P46 or its
archetype (depending from which side one wishes to view the erroneous
reading as having come). In a case of accidental error such as I have
proposed, there are sufficient grounds to presuppose independent
recurrences of the identical error in MSS of varied type rather than
direct genealogical descent, save within normal texttype patterns.

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.  Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:55:00 -0500 (EST)

An interesting online exhibit entitled "From Papyrus to King James: The
Transmission of the English Bible" is currently available on the
University of Michigan site at http://www.lib.umich.edu/pap/exhibits/
from_papyri_to_king_james/king_james_review.  This exhibit, which
unfortunately includes fewer than ten images, includes images
of pages from P46, the Tyndale Bible, and the Geneva Bible.  There is a
real need for high-quality color images of manuscripts to begin appearing
on the Web.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------