Subject: Re: Roman's Doxology

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:02:58 -0500 (EST)

At 01:31 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote:

>The big question (as Ulrich stated) in both situations remains how the
>vast majority of MSS happened to place either the Romans doxology or the
>pericope adultera in their single precise location had any other form been
>their predecessor.

This is indeed the central issue.

> I would suggest that the Romans situation demonstrates
>that not only can the earliest MS (P46) be quite wrong, but also the
>Alexandrian, Western and Caesarean (?) traditions, and also that a similar
>conclusion can be drawn in regard to the pericope adultera. 
>

I dont see it that way.  In fact, what the Romans example illustrates is
that early scribes were more likely to leave things the way they found them
than later scribes.
 
Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:46:32 -0400 (EDT)

> that early scribes were more likely to leave things the way they found them

That position then only works by your example in but ONE early MS out of
all of them -- so EVERY scribe after P46 is a "later" scribe with intent
to "edit" the text?  Again, I have serious doubts...