Subject: Re: Academic Imperialism (An Outsider's View)

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:38:15 -0500 (EST)

At 11:29 AM 4/21/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> At the same time, I can't help but wonder: if someone such as Maurice 
>> did publish a TC textbook of the type Mr. Evensen describes, how many 
>> institutions would adopt it and use it?  
>
>Rough estimate off the top of my head: none whose professors are of the
>modern eclectic variety.

Beg to differ- but if such a text were produced I would use it as
supplemental reading.

>
>> That being the case, I do 
>> wonder how many teachers of TC would be willing to adopt a textbook 
>> that goes against the flow.  
>
>Just in the interest of "fairness", I am teaching NTTC on the M.Div. 
>classroom and Ph.D. seminar level this semester.  The two primary
>textbooks are Metzger and Aland & Aland.  This should not be surprising, I
>would think, and I certainly would consider this "fair" by any estimation. 
>Of course, reciprocity in some degree might also be a nice idea...... 
>

On those occasions I do teach TC I used Aland (no surprise) but I also have
them read Westcott and Hort's Intro... 
I would use a good byzantine intro if I could find one (because, in truth,
scholarship takes place when students are offered the alternatives and
allowed to make up their own minds).

Jim
(a lurker on the list)(I have decided not to address any NWT posts as Lars
has shown he has no interest in listening.  My response on Ro 10:13 only
generated a "yeah, but....")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]