Subject: Re: Eph 5:9

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 15:09:40 +0100

On Mon 31 Mar 1997, Maurice Robinson wrote (inter alia):

[quoting Waltz:]
>>And even if NA27, etc. had complete apparati (sic), we cannot rely on
>>impressions. What is needed is a precise study of the rate of
>>harmonizations, etc. I don't think that has ever been done.

>Wisselink once more is suggested, but not his published volume (which
>contains only the text portion of his doctoral research in the
>Netherlands), but the four large volumes of data which Wisselink also has
>made available in photocopied form for sale, but at great expense. I don't
>even have them myself, but was able to spend some time with them while in
>Kampen in 1989, and was greatly impressed with his statistics on this
>matter.

I don't know exactly what Maurice's "four volumes of data" consisted of he 
reportedly saw in Kampen in 1989. The Muenster *Institut* holds a copy of 
Wisselink's published dissertation called *Assimilation as a criterion for the 
establishment of the text. A comparative study on the basis of passages from 
Matthew, Mark and Luke; Kampen 1989*. The *Institut* holds another unpublished 
(or privately published) copy of three volumes under the same header: 
*Assimilation as...Matthew, Mark and Luke; Annex 1: The collations, Kampen 
1987*, *Assimilation...; Annex 2: The tables, Kampen 1987*, 
*Assimilation...Annex 3: The comparison, Kampen 1987*.
Just as a guess: Maurice saw Wisselink's published dissertation and the three 
annexes in Kampen which makes up a total of four volumes.  

[quoting Waltz:]
>>I feel fairly sure I know the results. But they have not been
>>proved.

>Wisselink's data points to the Byzantine Textform as being the most 
>free of harmonization/assimilation in the Gospels. I suspect that this 
>is not the result you were expecting.

Maurice, could you please add the relevant quotation from Wisselink's published 
dissertation displaying THIS result?
I must confess, I couldn't find it, neither in one of Wisselink's annexes.

Ulrich Schmid, Muenster

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:37:13 -0500 (EST)

> annexes in Kampen which makes up a total of four volumes.  

You are probably correct, Ulrich, except that I probably saw the
_unpublished_ form of what was also the published dissertation, which was
bound similarly to the other three volumes of data so as to make four
identical volumes.

> I must confess, I couldn't find it, neither in one of Wisselink's annexes.

I will have to search Wisselink's single published volume for what I
confessedly remember from when I first read it some time ago. I was
certain that he made a claim to the effect that the Byzantine Textform
_may_ have as many _alleged_ harmonizations as have been claimed for it,
but that upon examination the alleged harmonizations were generally
invalid, and that the other major texttypes in contrast possessed valid
harmonizations. This of course by default makes the Byzantine Textform
"less harmonized" than the other texttypes. Were you not able to find
something of that sort in the book?  I know that from talking with
Wisselink while in Kampen (he is a Reformed Church pastor living about 2
hours away from Kampen) that we specifically discussed that conclusion as
a major result of his research. 

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~