Subject: Re: Eph 5:9

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:57:35 -0500

Just as a gloss on Ulrich Schmid's remark about Codex Bezae (D) and its high
number of harmonizations/assimilations (as per Wisselink's research)
relative to other (Greek) MSS:  this high number is thought to be the result
of (1) Codex Bezae's having been influenced in some manner by the
Diatessaronic tradition (which is, of course, a gospel harmony...), or (2)
Codex Bezae's being related to the Vetus Syra, which has numerous
cross-gospel harmonizations because *it* was influenced by the Diatessaron,
or (3) both of the above (1 *and* 2). See, among others, the work of F.H. Chase.

It should be recalled that harmonization began in the *first* century, when
"Matthew" and "Luke" began weaving together portions of "Mark" and "Q"
(regardless of what theory of synoptic origins one may subscribe to, the
same applies: e.g., for Griesbachians:  "Mark" harmonized material from
"Matthew" and "Luke").  In the *early-second* century we have Justin's
harmony, and the Judaic-Christian harmony quoted by Epiphanius in Pan.
30.13, etc., which Vielhauer labelled the "Gospel according to the
Ebionites"--although Epiphanius calls it "the Hebrew gospel" (= the "Gospel
according to the Hebrews" ?).

--Petersen, Penn State Univ.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 97 14:46:11 +0100

>or (3) both of the above (1 *and* 2). See, among others, the work of F.H. 

The harmonizations/assimilations in Codex Bezae (D) are especially interesting, 
not only because of the outstanding number of occurences, but also because of 
some rather peculiar features. However, up to now I do not feel the need to 
account for them with reference to the Diatessaronic tradition. As far as I can 
see every Gospel MS displays some (some even more) harmonistic tendencies. 
Granted that even Marcions Gospel seems to display a few harmonistic readings, 
we may infer that harmonizations demonstrably happened earlier in time than the 
composition of the Diatessaron. Therefore, the sheer amount of harmonistic 
readings in D in itself does not, in my view, somehow naturally point to contact 
with the Diatessaronic tradition.

However, I am only a beginner in Diatessaronic studies. Being more familiar with 
the evidence from that fascinating part of tradition might shift my point of 
view. BTW -- Bill, apart from the work of Chase, which I did not study yet, what 
else would you recommend? I read Vogels on that.  

Ulrich Schmid, Muenster