Subject: The "Freizeit" of the "logos"

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:41:27 -0500

As a small (but marginally serious) note on Ulrich's wonderful "Freizeit
Fehler," note also how the specific error made by his (innocent!) mother is
only possible on a *German* set-up keyboard, and *not* on a QWERTY keyboard.
Harkening back to Jean Valentine's comments about the Holy Spirit being more
common in the East, here too we see how knowledge of the *specific,* *local*
keyboard (and two are in use in Germany today) is necessarily to
successfully conjecture what the error might have been:  working from the
QWERTY model (as most would instinctively do) would tend to exclude the
supposition of a typing error, for on a QWERTY keyboard the "z" is too far
from the "h"...

--Petersen, Penn State University

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:23:35 -0500 (EST)

> supposition of a typing error, for on a QWERTY keyboard the "z" is too far

In which case the future textual critics from the QWERTY region would
consider "Freizeit" most definitely the original reading, since only a
_deliberate_ alteration would be responsible for substituting the "easier"
"Freiheit" for the more difficult "Freizeit".  

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~