Subject: Re: a Big Idea

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 07:31:23 -0700

>From: Mike Bossingham <[email-masked]>
>Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 07:13:38 -0400
>Subject: >
>Hi,
>
>I have never contributed to this list before, so do be kind to me.
>
>Let me introduce myself. I am a theology and a computer science graduate
>and I am currently working (part time unfortunately) on a Doctorate
>attached to Birmingham University under David Parker.
>
>I am developing software that will allow the creation of a comprehensive
>electronic critical edition. It currently will:-
>
>1) Display selected verses along with an apparatus.
...snip...

Mike:

I don't mean to throw cold water on what you are doing, but we have had
this discussion on list before about the use of copyrighted apparatuses.
If you are planning on keying in all the papyri and letting the program
self-collate (which is an enormous task by itself given the problems of
word order, etc., etc., etc.,...just ask Vinton Dearing or any of the
others who have worked on this problem in electronic and print form), then
you'll probably be okay; but if you are planning to simply key in the UBS
or NA apparatus, then you've got a SERIOUS copyright issue on your hands.
You should probably discuss this with Harold Scanlin of ABS, who is on this
list, to see just what the UBS and Muenster are currently thinking about
such things; I'd hate to see you invest HUGH amounts of time and effort
into something which you couldn't make available to those who would like to
use it.

XAIREIN...
***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages        Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************

---

From: ANDREW SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 05:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:

> but if you are planning to simply key in the UBS

*****

But couldn't he use an older edition of those text, along with its
critical apparatus, because its copyright will have expired? Many of the
less expensive software packages use editions and text and their related
apparatus which are no longer copyright-protected. There's a big step up
in prices when you purchase those CD-ROM's which have copyrighted
material.

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:40:59 +000

Those interested in ms collation programs should familiarize 
themselves with the Manuscript program being developed for the 
International Greek New Testament Project.  I know little about it 
"hands-on", but have read a description (in a NEH funding application 
I was asked to assess, and which, in spite of my spirited support did 
not receive funding).  Contact Michael Holmes (Bethel Theol. Sem., 
and on this list, I think), or Bart Ehrman, who prepared the grant 
proposal and will have more direct knowledge.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Felix Sung)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:36:50 -0400 (EDT)

> in prices when you purchase those CD-ROM's which have copyrighted

Short of obtaining permission from the copyright holder, he can't,
unless he's willing to use the critical apparatus from a very early
(and therefore, badly outdated) edition of the NA, because copyrights
remain in force despite the publication of new editions. Furthermore,
the copyright holder owns *ALL* publication rights, regardless of
medium, except those specifically excluded in the contract between the
author(s) and the publisher.

Felix Sung                                            Wycliffe College
[email-masked]                      Toronto School of Theology