Subject: Re: Antiquity

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 97 20:23:24 +0200

Jim,
>
>Depending on when you date the Clement ms.  At any rate, the Greek ms
>tradition takes precedence over the Patrisitic and Versional evidence.
I'm not yet conviced about this, specially when it comes to the early 
fathers that give us information about their local texts, while all that 
the earliest mss tell us is about the conditions in Egypt - and, for 
sure, we have to listen to them too.
As to what should or should not take precedence, I get back to what I 
said before : as long as no complete history of the text has been written 
using ALL the evidence, such statements seem hazardous to me. That's why, 
also, my goal is not to establish a text, but to gather documentation and 
provide informations for the generations that will be able to say 
something based on more evidence than what we have.
Cheers,

Jean V.

________________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 58/7 rue Van Kalck - 1080 Bruxelles - BELGIQUE
________________________________________________________________
email : [email-masked]   ***   netmail : 2:291/780.103
________________________________________________________________
Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable.
Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar.