Subject: Re: Versions and

From: "Carl W. Conrad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:22:24 -0500

Dear Ronald:

As I receive the digest version of TC-List only, I didn't see your Monday
post until this morning. I'm curious about (1) the sources of your
information on the MSS of ancient authors, since I attempted to compile a
list of this sort about ten years ago and felt rather frustrated in getting
current information. I'm also curious about (2) whether you are making any
differentiation between regular MSS and papyrus fragments of works in
question. I ask that because it's my understanding that there's a massive
number of papyrus fragments of Homer that go back fairly early and continue
through all periods of antiquity. (3) You are listing, evidently, MSS only
of the Christian era: is that BECAUSE you are only considering parchment
codices, which don't appear earlier, or just because you are primarily
concerned with comparison with NT MSS?

Finally, although you've had other suggestions about important authors to
add to your list, I would suggest that you bring the date for Homer down to
no earlier than 750 B.C.--and that may still be too early for us to suppose
any written text, even if the oral traditions and performances go back that
far or considerably earlier.

Thanks for the useful list.

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University
One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO, USA 63130
(314) 935-4018
[email-masked]  OR [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:10:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> current information. I'm also curious about

I used a wide variety of sources including the standard text crit books.  
I also used some ref books like Oxford classic. dictionaries, etc.  I 
even used apologetics books for a few numbers.  I too was frustrated 
because of a lack of usable, recent, and reliable sources.  I hope to 
try the classics dept at the local university soon.

> (2) whether you are making any

Actually, I listed every ms. the sources listed.  I once took a Homeric 
Greek course, but know little in that mss. field.  My lack was not 
intentional, and I will include all corrections I receive.

> Thanks for the useful list.

I hope it becomes more useful.

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803