Subject: Re: John 14:14

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:32:25 -0500 (EST)

Sorry that the private post to Lars was sent to the list.  In regards to his
accusation that I am long on rhectoric and short on evidence- let me suggest
that:

1- a simple comparison between the WH and the NWT will resolve any dispute
over the NWT putative use of WH.

2- this comparison could either consist of a simple sampling of various
texts or a verse by verse comparison of every text.

3- The second alternative is both too time consuming and totally
unnecessary; a simple sounding of the texts will suffice.

Therefore, when I am free enough to do it I will send along to the list a
sample of texts comparing NWT and WH.  

Yet I suspect that this procedure (long on rhetoric and short of evidence)
will not suffice for Lars simply because it will be a comparison of apples
(WH) and eggs (NWT)- for the NWT is a translation and WH is a Greek Text.
What would have to be done for an accurate comparison to take place is that
NWT would have to be retroverted into Greek.  Then an actual comparison
would work.
Yet, I suspect, even this would not be enough for Lars, who would then
simply suggest that the retroversion is incorrect.
Thus, no matter what evidence is presented I suspect that Lars will find it
unconvincing (which was the gist of my private post).  For some folks aren't
convinced by evidence even if it bites them on the @##.  Instead they divert
attention from the issue by maintaining that others are longwinded airbags.

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Repurk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 06:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

> accusation that I am long on rhectoric and short on evidence- let me suggest

Apology accepted, I was not aware that it was meant to be private.

> attention from the issue by maintaining that others are longwinded airbags.

Well, Jim, it sounds like you have talked yourself out of makeing _any_
attempt to back up your statements.  I can assure you that I am much
more open-minded than you make me out to be.  Why not just start with
two or three examples ?

Neither longwinded or an airbag :)
-lars