Subject: Re: Rev 12:18 & Peshitta

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 97 17:08:38 +0200

>
><< (Recall that the Peshitta does not include the Apocalypse.) >>
>Sorry if this is redundant, but according to Metzger (Textual Commentary p.
>748) "The Textus Receptus, following P, 046, 051 most minuscules syr p h, cop
>sa bo, al reads kai estaqhn..."  The Syriac Peshitta and Harclean Syriac are
>both listed, so who is correct?
>Rich Elliott 
>
You'll notice that there's no space or point or comma between the p and 
the h that are put above the abbreviation syr. So you must read, not "p 
and h" but "ph" which is the abbreviation for "philoxenian".
Greetings,

Jean V.

________________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 58/7 rue Van Kalck - 1080 Bruxelles - BELGIQUE
________________________________________________________________
email : [email-masked]   ***   netmail : 2:291/780.103
________________________________________________________________
Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable.
Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar.
________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 02:09:32 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-04-01 10:15:51 EST, you (correctly) wrote:

<<                                                         p,h             ph
 The reading in the commentary is not "syr   " but "syr  ." That is, it
 refers to the Philoxenian Syriac. >>

 Yes, of course! My late night oversight.  I was looking in my 1st Ed UBSGNT,
not my newer 3rd Ed.  The 1st Ed does not list the Philoxenian, but at least
the 3rd (and probably 4th do), NA26 does also. Sorry for the confusion :-}
Rich Elliott