Subject: Re: Eph 5:9

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 23:21:22 +0200

>Fully agreed. Now, if someone can find liturgical or other citations of
>either "fruit of the spirit" or "fruit of light" in early Orthodox liturgy
>or literature, this will be helpful.
>
A first step would be to look at the lectionary of a byzantine-rite 
church. I don't have one here, but I have a vague remembrance of having 
heard that text (or the one in Galatians, rather) read one of the last 
times I visited the melkite parish of Brussels. Probably for the office 
of the christmas night (thus one of great affluence). Can somebody verify 
?
In the nestorian and chaldean churches (but then we are in the syriac 
world) the Ephesian text is read the last sunday of Advent.
The Syrian Orthodox church reads the Galatian text on the third sunday of 
lent, and the Ephesian text, and the Ephesian text the 7th sunday after 
Epiphany. By the way, in the peshitto, they are not harmonized.
But of course, this is the situation in the XXth century. Even though 
there have been less liturgical reforms in the East than in the West, we 
should check it on manuscripts...
About the popularity of John 3.16 again : I already mentioned its 
presence at the heart of St John's Chrysostom' liturgy, and, though it's 
more anecdotic, I mention also this : it's on the title page of the 
Gospels in an edition of the georgian NT that was published by the 
Patriarchate (or more exactly catholicate) of the Georgian orthodox 
church (Tbilisi, 1963).

________________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 58/7 rue Van Kalck - 1080 Bruxelles - BELGIQUE
________________________________________________________________
email : [email-masked]   ***   netmail : 2:291/780.103
________________________________________________________________
Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est 
inutilisable.
What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable.
Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar.

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:48:32 -0500 (EST)

> Patriarchate (or more exactly catholicate) of the Georgian orthodox 

This is helpful; but I'll bet they didn't hold up signs with John 3:16 on
them at the early Isthmian games......

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~