Subject: Re: Rom. 15:19

From: [email-masked] (Carlton Winbery)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:46:13 +0400

I would prefer PNEUMATOS [QEOU] with the same reservations expressed by the
brackets in the N-A27, primarily because of the possibility of the
assimulation to verse 16.

Carlton L. Winbery
114 Beall St.
Pineville, LA 71360
Fax (318) 442-4996
e-mail [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
Phone 318 487-7241 Home 448-6103

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:22:33 -0500 (EST)

> assimulation to verse 16.

Not to mention verse 13, which also could have had some influence. I am
pleased to see the point being made and accepted of harmonization to the
immediate context as a reason for rejecting a reading. :-)

Let me ask, however, what might your decision have been, Carlton, assuming
that there were _no_ other mention of the Holy Spirit in vv.13 and 16, nor
any mention of "Spirit of God" in the immediate context?  Would your
evaluation of internal criteria still fall along the same lines as my own
in regard to Pauline usage, or what?  How also would you evaluate the
external evidence without a compelling contextual harmonization as a
possible cause?  Would your decision change?

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~