Subject: Let it go?

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 14:25:12 -0500 (EST)

I hate to disagree with anyone (!!!), but I find the discussion of Colwell's
ideas to be most interesting.  Here we have an excellent example of how two
well intentioned, well informed scholars can read the same material and come
to different conclusions.  Lets, for once, hash something out until a
consensus is reached.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:37:40 -0700

>to different conclusions.  Lets, for once, hash something out until a

Let's hope. But we should probably warn people: I'm not exactly the
orthodox type. I question everything. So chances are that I will
usually offer unorthodox opionions, and Hurtado orthodox.

The question is, how can we *settle* the matter? I'm having trouble
myself right now. I just did two different statistical analyses on
similar (not identical) data, and got significantly different
results. (I'm still seeking the reason.) So we probably need to
decide what constitutes proof....

I, for one, groan with horror at the arguments that one will induce.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)