Subject: Re: Ps 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Friday, 16 May 1997 1:03pm PT

(I grew up in Phoenix- hot there now, isn't it!!!)
Thanks Jim for you response. (Yes, it's beginning to get warm. Just moved here
from Pasadena, CA and bracing myself for a blistering Summer.)

I suspect that Kraus is correct.  What he does is recognize the confusion
that scribes demonstrate and he corrects that confusion by a most
appropriate emendation.  Though the printed Hebrew text is easy enough to
read, the written text is not quite so easy.  "he" and "cheth" are virtually
indistinguishable (in the DSS for instance).  So though Kraus' emendation
may seem hasty- a glance at the handwritten texts may go a long way in
deciding on emendation of a printed text.

In fairness to Kraus, I need to re-read his whole argument - which I will do.
I had not thought about the the fact that handwritten texts may add complexity
to the process of translation. Thanks for bringing up that point. When I do
some additional reading on 2.12, I'll keep that point in mind.

See Tov's most excellent book on the subject.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been meaning to purchase his book for
quite some time.

Mike