Subject: new TC article: Steinmann

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 12:31:37 -0400 (EDT)

I am pleased to announce the publication of a new article on the pages of
TC: "Jacob's Family Goes to Egypt: Varying Portraits of Unity and Disunity
in the Textual Traditions of Exodus 1:1-5," by Andrew E. Steinmann.  Some
of you may have heard Andy present an earlier version of this article at
the SBL annual meeting in New Orleans last year.  Here is an abstract of
the article. 

Abstract: Several textual variants are present in the various witnesses to
the text of Exod 1:1-5 (MT, SP, 4QExodb, LXX). Although at first glance
most of these variants seem unrelated and unimportant, a close reading of
the text suggests that they are neither. One stream of tradition (MT, SP)
contains variants that, taken together, stress the fractured nature of
Jacob's family. Another stream of tradition (4QExodb, LXX)  seeks to
downplay the family differences.

My thanks to Andy for submitting a fine paper to TC and to the TC
editorial board for their support.  Let me take this opportunity once
again to invite members of this list to submit papers (either full-length
articles or shorter textual notes) to TC for publication.  We have a
number of books that have been assigned for review, and we hope that they
will appear on the pages of TC before long.

Jimmy Adair
General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 00:16:50 MDT

James Adair asked if some of us could pass the announcement on to some
other lists.  Unless somebody already has - I haven't seen it - I'll pass
it along to b-hebrew.

----------
> in the Textual Traditions of Exodus 1:1-5," by Andrew E. Steinmann.  

[snip]
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/
[email-masked]
Feel the music.