Subject: New TR

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 08:44:45 -0500 (EST)

DC Parker suggests that:

1- some correspondents responses to Helge were rather longwinded.  I would
reply that "danger lies in generalities".  Further, we have just had an
excoriating exchange about "lack of evidence".  And now, when a question is
answered in some detail, we are told (or at the least it is implied to us)
that the responses were not succinct enough.  What gives?

2- the Nestle text is not the new TR.  If this is so, then why is Nestle the
textual basis for every modern translation into English of the New Testament
(NASV, REB, NIV etc.),?  Or are we to suppose that Aleph is, or D, or Theta,
or Psi?  A TR is, it seems to me, a translation base.  If it is not
currently Nestle, what is it?  Who are the TCers who do not work with Nestle
as the base?  Are they a majority?

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
[email-masked]

 "Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

---

From: ANDREW SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:14:18 -0400 (EDT)

> as the base?  Are they a majority?

I think that there is a little miscommunication about the term "TR". If we
think of a "received text," then we must ask, by whom is it received? The
Nestle text may be widely received among scholars who produce translations
for the reading public, and yet not widely received among scholars in the
TC field. A "translation base" is different from a "TC base". A
translation base is accepted and then translated. A TC base is not
accepted, but rather it is something which one alters. Among hard-core
TCers, I would imagine that there really isn't a TR, except insofar as
each scholar creates his own text and that becomes his TR. Among the
thelogically-motivated (in which I include myself), there is a much more
urgent reason to find a widely-accepted TR as a common ground for research
for the faithful. Thus both the TCer and the theologically-motivated are
very careful about their texts. Those who translate, however, fall into
neither category - they are not TCers and they are not working to create a
common text for the faithful. Thus they arbitrarily chose a text for a
"translation base" with no motive, or with an external motive.