Subject: OT/HB TC and NT TC

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 13:42:43 -0500 (EST)

Professor Hurtado has made an excellent suggestion.  I heartily agree and
would suggest one further possibility.

The editors of the forthcoming BHQ (Adrian Schenker et al) have adopted a
standardized methodology for variants and textual notes (TC decisions).
Could not such a manual be adopted by NT TC (mutatis mutandis), thus
allowing both OT and NT TCritics to operate with the same standards?

This would, it seems to me, make interdisciplinary communication easier and
allow for clarity of thought as all would be using the same "vocabulary"
(something sorely lacking).

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
[email-masked]

 "Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 20:09:59 -7000

> allowing both OT and NT TCritics to operate with the same standards?

Hmm...can you elaborate on this standardized methodology?  Or point 
me to a place where I might be able to look it up?  This sounds 
exciting.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
"You're so open-minded that your brain leaked out."
                                 -Steve Taylor

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:58:24 -0500 (EST)

>me to a place where I might be able to look it up?  This sounds 

Several of the editors for BHQ are participants on this list.  Perhaps they
would be interested in saying a few words about it...

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD

---

From: "Richard D. Weis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:06:50 +0000

Dear TC-List Members,

> me to a place where I might be able to look it up?  This sounds 

Unless I miss my guess, Dr. West is referring to the document 
recording the internal guidelines for the editing of the forthcoming 
_Biblia Hebraica_.  This document is exactly that, guidelines for the 
members of the BHQ project to guide their work in producing the 
edition.  It is entirely an internal project document that was 
produced in order to aid in the production of a coherent edition by a 
diverse group of editors.  It is not a TC manual, and it is not 
designed for external distribution.

Aspects of the planned edition are discussed in the essay by Gerard
Norton which Prof. Hurtado mentioned, and in essays by Adrian
Schenker in an early issue of _Zeitschrift fuer Althebraistik_, and
Arie van der Kooij (sorry I don't have publication information handy
for this one).  Much of the text of Prof. Schenker's article is 
available on the web-site of the Biblisches Institut/Institut 
Biblique of the University of Fribourg in Switzerland.  These are 
probably the best publicly accessible places to get a picture of 
the edition.

Regards,
Richard Weis

*******************************************************************************
Richard D. Weis                                          [email-masked]
New Brunswick Theological Seminary        phone: 1-908-246-5613
17 Seminary Place                                       FAX: 1-908-249-5412
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
*******************************************************************************

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:59:29 -0500 (EST)

>probably the best publicly accessible places to get a picture of 

The URL is

http://www.unifr.ch/bif/Chapters/bh5.html

>Richard Weis

And thanks to Richard for his response.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD