Subject: Meaning of an abbreviation please!

From: "Jean Valentin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 97 23:37:33 +0200

Hello all!

Back on the list after a few days of silence (we have moved and are now
back in the syriac area of Brussels!)
I had the chance to find, in a second-hand bookstore, the first volume of
Tischendorf's Editio octava maior. As I'm studying a variant, i find the
abbreviations are quite complex. Now, if someone is familiar with them, I
would like to know the meaning of one, in order to consult it in context.
It's in Luke 7.47 and the abbreviation is "Ir-int-213" ("int" and "213" are
superscript). I suppose it's about Irenaeus, but further, what's this
reference supposed to mean?
Thanks for your help!

Jean V.

---------------------------------------------------------
Jean Valentin - Brussels - Belgium
---------------------------------------------------------
email : [email-masked] /// netmail : 2:291/780.103
---------------------------------------------------------
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable"
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 17:23:40 -0500 (CDT)

Jean,
The comprehensive list of Tischendorf's abbreviations is in vol. III, the
Prolegomena compiled by C.R. Gregory.  In this case, see pp. 1199-1200.
"Ir" is Irenaeus, as you suspected.  For "int" Gregory writes: "int: versio
vetus Latina Irenaei vel exeunte saeculo secundo vel, quam amant opinionem
Westcottus Hortiusque, saeculo quarto facta."  Numbers (e.g., "213") usually
indicate a page number; according to Gregory, Tischendorf cited the page
numbers of the edition of Irenaeus's works published by Massuet (Paris,
1712); Gregory also says that the page numbers of Massuet's edition are
noted in the later editions of Stieren and Harvey.

Mike Holmes
Bethel College