Subject: tc-list Quarterly Reminder

From: Jimmy Adair (tc-list-owner) <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 03:00:00 -0400

******************************************************************************
General Information about the List
******************************************************************************
tc-list: a discussion list of biblical textual criticism

This list is loosely associated with the new electronic journal _TC:
A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism_, and it is intended for a
discussion of any matters relating to biblical textual criticism, broadly
defined.  The rationale for the creation of the TC journal is given below.
It is hoped that subscribers to the tc-list will reflect on and respond to
material from articles in TC, will deal with issues that arise in the
context of text-critical study in the community of biblical scholars at
large, and will use the list to suggest new ideas and methodologies.
Notes on any aspect of the textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian
scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature) are welcome,
and threads that transcend the traditional boundary between textual
criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual
criticism are especially encouraged.  We would also like to see threads
that discuss the relationship between textual criticism and other
disciplines.

This list is an unmoderated list, and anyone who is a subscriber to the 
list may contribute.  Conventional netiquette should be followed by all 
contributors to the list.  The following points in particular should be 
kept in mind.  (1) Discussion of topics other than textual criticism (or 
other topics likely to be of interest to members of the list) should be 
avoided.  (2) Scholarly discussion can at times be somewhat heated, but 
civility should always prevail.  (3) Contributors to the list should 
always sign their messages with their names (not just e-mail addresses).  
Additional information, such as institutional affiliation, might also be 
of interest to others on the list.  (4) When responding to a message on 
the list, quote only that portion of the message that you are responding 
to, or enugh of the message to remind readers of the context of the 
discussion.  In many cases it is not necessary to quote the entire message.

Archives of tc-list are automatically maintained, and they may be
accessed by sending a message like the following to
[email-masked]:

get tc-list tc-list.yymm

where yy is a 2-digit year and mm is a 2-digit month (e.g., tc-list.9604
for April 1996).  The first month archived is November 1995 (tc-list.9511).

******************************************************************************
Subscribing, Unsubscribing, and Sending Messages to the List
******************************************************************************
To subscribe or unsubscribe, send the appropriate message to 
[email-masked] (_not_ to the list itself):

	subscribe tc-list [your e-mail address]
	unsubscribe tc-list [your e-mail address]

The e-mail address is optional, since subscription will default to the 
address you are sending from.

You may also subscribe to this list in digest form (i.e., messages 
bundled and sent out a few times per week) by sending this message to 
[email-masked]:

	subscribe tc-list-digest [your e-mail address]

If you subscribe to the digest, be sure to unsubscribe from the list so 
you won't receive everything twice.

To send a message to the list for all to read, send your message to
[email-masked].  Don't send to tc-list-digest, even if 
you're subscribed to the digest.  Just send to tc-list. 

If you do not want to receive messages for a while (e.g., you're going on 
vacation or will be away from your computer for an extended time), please 
unsubscribe from the list.  There is no "vacation" command on this list.  
When you want to start receiving messages again, simply subscribe to the 
list again.

*****************************************************************************
TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
*****************************************************************************
One of the benefits of increasingly widespread Internet access is the
ease with which scholars in a particular field can communicate with one
another.  Although the sciences have dominated the electronic journal
field up until this point, several journals in the humanities are now
available online.  TC follows in the (brief) tradition of the Journal of
Buddhist Ethics, the International Journal of Tantric Studies, and the 
Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies.  As far as we are aware, TC is the 
first Web journal in the area of biblical studies.

Why "biblical" textual criticism (rather than t-c of the NT or the Hebrew
Bible/OT)?  It is time for textual critics in the two camps to communicate
more with one another.  Textual critics in one field can only benefit by
hearing what those in the other field have to say.  The journal will
accept papers dealing with any aspect of textual criticism of the
OT/Hebrew Bible or NT, and it especially encourages "crossover"
papers that deal with both areas.  Papers dealing either with specific
cruxes or with larger issues (methodology, use of versional evidence,
etc.) are welcome.  Brief notes or full-length articles are equally
acceptable.

Why an electronic journal?  The fact of the matter is that printing a
journal costs a lot of money (especially with recent increases in paper
prices).  In addition, it is debatable whether the field of textual
criticism could generate a large enough base to support a paper journal.
There are technical difficulties with displaying non-Latin characters
that will have to be addressed, but these difficulties can be overcome.
With an electronic journal, scholars and students around the world can
have free access to one or another form of the journal, either via the
World Wide Web, FTP, or e-mail.

TC is now in the early stages of implementation (our first articles are
now ready!), and we are looking for articles.  Please submit your articles
in electronic form to: 

        Jimmy Adair
        Scholars Press
        P.O. Box 15399
        Atlanta, GA   30333-0399
        USA

You are also welcome to send articles via e-mail to
[email-masked], or you may upload your articles directly to
our FTP site at ftp://scholar.cc.emory.edu/uploads/TC.

TC has a home page on TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web site
(http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html), and interested parties
can look at this page for announcements.  We look forward to your
participation in TC and tc-list! 

The list-owner of tc-list is Jimmy Adair ([email-masked]).