Subject: Hos 11:1

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:20:10 -0500 (EST)

The MT has "son" in the singular (out of Egypt have I called my son).  The
LXX (Rahlfs) has "ta tekna autou".  The apparatus does not list any specific
LXX ms which contain the reading.  Can anyone offer more concrete evidence
for the reading?

Also, it seems that the suggested emedation of the MT (in the apparatus) is
possible- but is there any ms support for it?  The DSS Hosea material has
not yet been published, has it?  If it has, is there a reading preserved here?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
Managing Editor, "The Journal of Biblical Studies" at
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
(submissions welcome!)

[email-masked]

---

From: george howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 97 08:39:39 EDT

>LXX ms which contain the reading.  Can anyone offer more concrete evidence

Jim, You should consult the Goettingen Septuagint for the Minor Prophets, edite
d by J. Ziegler.  It has the latest apparatus for this part of the LXX.  It sho
ws some versional support for the MT "filium meum". Otherwise the reading "his
children" is supported by almost all LXX mss.

                           George Howard
                           UGA

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:04:07 -0400 (EDT)

Fitzmyer doesn't list Hos 11:1 in his index of the DSS, and the Murabbaat
scroll of the minor prophets begins with Joel 2:20, so I don't know of any
scroll that contains this verse (but maybe Gene Ulrich or Curt Niccum
do?).  The MT reading BNY could of course be read as a plural "my
children," and one could argue that a confusion between Y and W, either in
the transmission of the Hebrew text or at the point of translation, led to
a reading (or pseudo-reading) BNW, which _could_ be read "his sons." 
Although one would normally expect BNYW in Masoretic orthography, the age
of Hosea (ninth century), plus its origin in North Israel (although, if
memory serves, the fuller orthography developed first in the north, under
the influence of Aramaic), open up the possibility of defective
orthography.  On the other hand, TA TEKNA AUTOU might be better explained
as typical of the translation technique of the translator.  Does anyone
know of a study of the t.t. of LXX Hosea? 

By the way, since I mentioned Gene Ulrich, many on the list might not be
aware that he is currently working on a handbook-sized edition of the
biblical material from the Judaean desert, laid out in the traditional
order of the Hebrew books.  The title, as I recall, is the Qumran Bible. 
I'm sure he doesn't want to be deluged by e-mail messages asking numerous
specific questions, but he might have time to update the list on the
status of his work, and perhaps give us a projected completion date. 

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------