Subject: Re: MT 28 in Sinai Arabic 71 (not 28! :-)

From: "Jean Valentin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 May 97 22:39:23 +0200

On Sat 3 Mai 1997 0:52, Jim West <mailto:[email-masked]> wrote:
> >- v.18 Sin. arb. 71 doesn't have the harmonization from Jn 21.20 found
> >in Theta, syp, geo-Adysh and armenian-vulgate.
> 
> Jean, does this Arabic ms have a great number of harmonizations?
> 

Jim, here are a few other examples:

(1) In Mt 27.35 we find the big insertion from Jn 19.24 that is found in
Theta and several other Greek witnesses and versions (cf. apparatus in
NA27)

(2) In Mt 27.49 there is another big insertion from Jn 19.34 (cf. also
NA27). This time, the Greek and versional mss are different ones than in
27.35. Generally, those that have the one don't have the other. The only
(according to NA) other witness that has both harmonizations is the Middle
Egyptian version (mae).

(3) Lk 3.22 "And the Spirit of holiness descended, incarnated in the
resemblance of a dove, and stayed upon him. And a voice from the sky was
saying: you are my beloved son, in whom I took pleasure"
"and stayed upon him" (wa-Hallat `alayhi) : this is inserted from Jn 1.32
(kai emeinen ep' auton). We find this also in the Liege and Toscan
harmonies.

A few other rare variants, showing the diverse and occasional connections
of Sin Arb 71, are:

(1) Mt 23.9 reads "umin" instead of "umwn", with D Theta lat sys-c-p sypal
sa bo geo-Adysh

(2) Mt 23.16 reads, not "odhgoi tufloi", but "odhgoi tuflwn". This variant
is not in the apparatus of NA, but we find it in Theta, 1093,
sypal-Climacus, e, the Venetian and Toscan harmonies and two other arabic
versions, each attested by oonly one ms in the library of Mt Sinai (Sin arb
70 of the IX century, and Sin arb 112 of the XIIIth century).

(3) Mk 2.23 where it has "tillein" with D W it.

(4) Mk 4.2 omit "en th didach autou" with W b c e.

(5) Mk 4.36 Sinai arb 71 supports the variant "ama polloi hsan met'autou"
found in W e.

(5) Mk 6.24 where it has "aithsai" with P45 W sa.

(6) Mk 11.22 adds the "ei" that we find in Aleph D Q fam13 28 33c 565 700
it sy.s geo-Adysh and arm-vulg.

(7) Mk 14.64 the Arabic text corresponds to "thn blasfhmian tou stomatos
autou" with W Theta fam13 et al.

(8) Lk 1.67 "And Zakarya his father was filled with the Spirit of holiness
and said". The omission of "eprofhteusen" brings us close to D (cf NA27).

(9) Lk 2.29 Instead of "nun apolueis", we have an imperative. This is found
also in Geo-Tbeth-Opiza, the arabic "alexandrian vulgate" and in several
old latin and vulgate witnesses (cf. the apparatus of Merk, for the old
latin e b r). By the way, it is also found in the rhymed version that is
sung from the XVIth century on in the french-speaking reformed churches
(*Laisse-moi* desormais, Seigneur, aller en paix...). Rhythmical necessity
or survivance of a medieval text?

(10) Lk 3.38 Omission of "tou qeou". This is a strange one, I've seen it
nowhere else. Has anybody seen this before?

This brings some nuance when I say that this version is "cesarean". There
are other connections ans rare variants. I'd really like to know how to
interpret all of this!

---------------------------------------------------------
Jean Valentin - Brussels - Belgium
---------------------------------------------------------
email : [email-masked] /// netmail : 2:291/780.103
---------------------------------------------------------
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complique est
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complicated is unusable"
---------------------------------------------------------