Subject: the tone of recent discussions

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 10:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

It is part of the growth cycle of open mailing lists like this one that
they proceed through various stages.  (1) only a few, often uninteresting
messages (is there anyone out there?); (2) lively discussion largely on
topic (isn't this a great list!); (3) frequent shouting matches and
digressions from the main topic (who let you on the list?!); (4)
disintegration of the list (I don't have time to waste reading this
junk!).  After a year and a half of life, the tc-list seems to be sliding
from stage 2 to stage 3, and if the tone of some recent discussion doesn't
change, we'll be in danger of moving to stage 4.  As listowner, it's my
responsibility (and that of others on the list as well) to ensure that
that doesn't happen.

One option is to go to a moderated list, where unproductive or
inappropriate posts never make it to the list.  This is an option, but one
that would involve more time than I really want to spend on this sort of
thing, and besides, it goes against my ideal of open communication.
Nevertheless, I will consider making the list moderated if serious
problems continue.  Another option is to ban the most egregious offenders
from the list, something I'm prepared to do if I have to but would prefer
not to do.

A better alternative, though, is to urge people to use a modicum of
self-restraint and discernment before posting a message.  Maybe we need to
be reminded of a couple of good OT verses, Prov. 26:4-5:

   Don't answer a fool according to his folly,
      Lest you also be like him.

   Answer a fool according to his folly,
      Lest he be wise in his own conceit.

As any OT wisdom practitioner will tell you, part of wisdom is knowing
when to apply a given pearl of instruction.  In terms of this list, it
means knowing when to answer what you consider to be an incorrect or
annoying post and when just to ignore it. UNLESS YOU THINK RESPONDING TO A
POST HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF FURTHERING FRUITFUL SCHOLARLY DEBATE, DON'T
RESPOND TO IT ON THE LIST.  There's nothing wrong with letting a thread
wither on the vine for lack of attention once it has become unproductive. 
If you feel you must "answer a fool according to his folly," then do it
off-list.  As a corollary to this rule, avoid including snide, ad hominem
remarks of no scholarly value in your posts.  If _you_ show a willingness
to deal only with those topics of interest to the list, others will be
more likely to as well.  

Remember, this list is intended for non-experts in the field of TC as well
as experts (and everyone in between), so please correct them (if
necessary) in a gentle way.  And non-experts: don't presume to know more
than those who have spent years in the field; you'll just highlight your
ignorance.

Now, let's get back to productive discussions!