Subject: Re: The new TR

From: "DC PARKER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 14:48:14 GMT

Mr Evensen wrote:

> As to "speculation", I seem to recall that I have read much of that sort in TC books 
> and articles, *especially* in Hort's theories (the hortian theory that comes to my 
> mind first is the theory of the "Lucian recension"!!). (Even though I must admit that 
> I have not read Hort's volume through, yet! I have a copy of it, so I will do it!)

Please do not waste our time with such statements.  You will be 
entitled to belittle Hort (1) when you have read him and (2) when you 
know more than he.

DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]

---

From: "Mr. Helge Evensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 01:45:26 -0700

> entitled to belittle Hort (1) when you have read him and (2) when you

I may have disturbed some "sacred cow" here. But my intention is not to 
"belittle" Hort or any other text critic. I will not belittle Hort 
*after* I have read his work, not even if at some time in the future I 
shall know more than he (which is most unlikely!). But please remember 
that it is not very difficult to know things that Hort didn´t knew, for 
he lived a hundred years ago, before the discovery of most of the papyri! 
(It´s not his fault, of course). Many textual studies have proved him 
wrong on several points! So do not be offended because it´s possible to 
find fault with Hort´s theories.
If you have listened to what I *actually* have said about Hort, you will 
note that I did not belittle Hort´s volume in general, but some of his 
*theories*! And honestly, I do not think that my careful study of Hort´s 
volume would have changed my viewpoints much! But, undoubtedly, I would 
have learned a great deal about the art of TC! 

Please listen to what I say, in order that we may avoid wasting more 
time.

-- 
- Mr. Helge Evensen