Subject: Re: Should we keep this up? ...

From: "Henry T. Carmichael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:56:21 +0000

On Fri, 2 May 1997 15:30:33 -0700, you wrote

(James Adair)
>>(2) The 70% agreement has often been questioned.  Other than
>>the Byzantine and Alexandrian witnesses, does any other group
>>show a 70% level of agreement anywhere in the NT?  What level
>>of agreement is there among the OL witnesses (eliminating D
>>from the Western group)?  Bob, what level of agreement is there
>>in the groups you identify in Paul?

(Bob Waltz)
>I'll give as much data here as I can type in half an hour. (BTW
>-- if some of the numbers don't agree, blame the fact that I'm
>retyping all this. If there's an inconsistency, tell me and I'll
>check it.)
>
>*************************************
>
>Gospels: If we omit D, and people are willing to live with my
>samples, the "European" Latins (a, b, ff2) seem to agree about
>70-80% of the time. (By comparison, they agree with D about
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^          
>60-65% of the time, and with D about 35% of the time. They agree
                     ^^^^^^^^^^
>with k about 55% of the time.)

There must be a typographical error here. Could you please let 
us know what you wished to write?  Thanks.
...

On the question, "Should we keep this up?" -

I'm not a TC scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but my 
Undergraduate training was in Chemistry.  So my background 
enables me to appreciate and applaud your efforts to apply the 
principles of statistical rigor to the analysis of textual 
variants.  I vote (for whatever it's worth) for continuation.

I wish I knew enough about TC to try to apply some of the
principles of statistical design of experiments I learned years
back.  

Henry Carmichael
[email-masked]