Subject: Erasmus' MSS (was: KJV Greek)

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:25:12 -0400

At 02:39 PM 6/22/97 +0900, Andrew Kulikovsky asked (among other questions):

>
>Does anyone know what manuscripts Erasmus used to create his edition?
>

I haven't seen any specific answer(s) in the subsequent responses, and
although de Jonge's article has been mentioned, one (and an addendum) which
has not is:

C.C. Tarelli, "Erasmus' Manuscripts of the Gospels," JThS 44 (1943), pp.
155-162;  a brief supplement appeared in the same journal, 48 (1947), pp.
207-208.

Tarelli specifies (as I recall) 5 mss., all VIII cent. and later.  They are
MSS 1 (eap; XII), 2 (e), 2 (ap; XII), and E (07; ep; VIII for e & IX-X for
p); he wonders if "Delta" (Codex Sangallensis [037]; IX cent.) might also
have been consulted.

Elsewhere, I have also seen MS 4 (ap; XV cent.) listed as one used by the
Rotterdamer.

--Petersen, Penn State University.