Subject: Mal 1:3 variant?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:05:48 -7000

In a recent discussion elsewhere, I have seen a claim that the 
Peshitta text of Mal 1:2-3 reads "Jacob I loved, but Esau I did not 
honor" as opposed to the MT's clear "Esau I hated."  My personal 
library is in boxes a thousand miles from my present location, and 
BHS shows no variant in this clause.  Does anybody have more 
information about this purported reading?

Thanks,
Dave Washburn
[email-masked]
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html

---

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Dim, 22 Jun 97 22:25:19 +0200

>information about this purported reading?
I have looked in two editions of the peshitta, but both show a literal 
rendition of the hebrew text at that place: "Jacob I loved, and Esau I 
hated". Unfortunately, I don't have the Leiden edition here, so I can't 
guarantee that the variant you mention doesn't exist in several syriac 
mss.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked] /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________

---

From: "David G.K. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:00:41 GMT

Following up on Jean Valentin's message, there is no significant
variant reading in the Leiden edition of Malachi, nor
(unsurprisingly) is there any reference to such a reading in Anthony
Gelston's excellent analysis of the Peshitta of the Dodekapropheton.

Mal 1.3 is cited by Paul in Romans 9.13, but the Peshitta text of Rom 
9.13 has exactly the same verb forms as Mal 1.3, although  there is 
a minor change in word order ("Jacob" is placed before "I have 
loved"). Aland and Juckel's edition of the Syriac translations of 
Romans gives no variant verb form in any of the versions or citations 
listed. (Kerschensteiner has no "Old Syriac" citation of this verse.)

In other words "I hated" , Syr "snith", is unchallenged in the Syriac 
tradition, and the contrary claim advanced elsewhere is without 
justification!

Hope this helps,

David Taylor

*********************************************************************
Dr David G.K.Taylor               email: [email-masked]
Department of Theology,       tel:   0121-414 5666
University of Birmingham,    fax:   0121-414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT,
U.K.
*********************************************************************

---

From: "Dr Johann Cook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:54:40 GMT+0200

> Subject:       Re: Mal 1:3 variant?
> Date:          Dim, 22 Jun 97 22:25:19 +0200
> From:          Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
> To:            <[email-masked]>
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]

> guarantee that the variant you mention doesn't exist in several syriac 

Codex Ambrosianus upon which the Leiden edition is based also reads 
"Esau I hated". 

Prof. Johann Cook 
Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
University of Stellenbosch
7600 Stellenbosch
SOUTH AFRICA 
tel 22-21-8083207
fax: 22-21-8083480