Subject: Re: Just have to remind people that I'm a nobody....

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:16:45 -0500 (EST)

At 05:10 PM 7/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In his recent post, Jack Kilmon (<[email-masked]>) referred
>to me several times as "Dr. Waltz." So I'd better remind people
>that I don't have a doctorate -- and certainly not in theology
>or textual criticism or the like. 

Just for info's sake, I would remind the list that Karl Barth never earned a
doctorate either- and only the most foolish would suggest that his
contributions to theology (whether one agrees with him or not) were small.

>Whatever I know I know from
>books, occasional conversations, and some thousands of hours
>with critical apparati and manuscript databases.
>
>But I'm not an official expert. If anyone was operating under
>the assumption that I was -- well, either learn to disrespect me
>now or forever hold your peace. :-)

A doctors cap does not a wise man make; nor a shovel a fool.

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mr. Helge Evensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:53:51 -0700

> contributions to theology (whether one agrees with him or not) were small.

What about Samuel Tregelles?

-- 
- Mr. Helge Evensen