Subject: Re: Charity (Was: Erasmus)

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 15:07:50 -0500 (EST)

At 01:58 PM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The KJV is the greatest translation ever made. It is one of the
>greatest ever works of English literature.

Right after the New Revised English Bible.

>It's also obsolete.

It is absolutely obsolete.

> Even if one ignores its defective text,

based on second rate, inferior and much tampered with texts.

> even
>if one ignores all the things the translators did not know,

and they did not know a lot- because they depended more heavily on the work
of their predecessors than they did on original translations of their own.

> it
>is *not in the language modern people speak.*
>

nor even close.  The reason folk are attached to the KJV is because they
DONT want to know what the Bible says- so they read an outmoded translation
simply to feel good about themselves without any regard for the meaning of
the text.

>Rant-and-rave mode off.

Why?

>Bob Waltz
>[email-masked]

JIm

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
Managing Editor, "The Journal of Biblical Studies" at
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm

[email-masked]