Subject: A Call for Help

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:26:02 -0500 (CDT)

TCers --

I'm writing to request your help.

I've just posted an article about the Church Fathers at my web site.
But it is very much a first draft. The problem is that I am not
an expert on the Fathers. Sure, I have a good feeling for the
text of Tertullian, say, or Ambrosiaster -- but Eugenius of
Carthage? This is hardly my area of expertise....

The article as it now stands lists every Father cited in NA27
or Merk5. I've given brief biographies of about 90% of them,
but there are some (mostly from Merk) about whom I know
absolutely nothing. And even the biographies I do have are
sometimes very sketchy.

As noted, the article posted is a *first draft.* Having written
articles based on the information in a few of the best sources in
my library, I am now going to work through every other book and
see what I can add. I also hope to compile some additional
textual data. But I'm posting the rough draft so people can send
in suggestions.

One request: Please don't send me references. I need the actual
information. Chances are that any references you send me will be
to books that I don't have. Even the local seminary may not -- and
even if it does, I can only spend a few hours a month there (at
most). So I'd very much appreciate it if you could summarize the
information for me.

And if I wind up using information you supply, I will gladly credit
you on the web page.

Thanks, and I hope this will prove useful.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)