Subject: Re: Codex Phillipps 1388

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mer, 6 Ao� 97 21:02:42 +0200

A big THANK YOU to those who provided me with information about codex 
Phillips 1388 and the library in Berlin where it is located.

Ulrich, thanks for the information about the article by Allgeier. I will 
check it the next time I go to Louvain. I the meanwhile, I had found this 
reference in Voobus' second volume of "Studies in the History of the 
Gospel text".

I am studying another ms of the Peshitto, Sinai syr 2. According to 
Voobus, who doesn't give collations but only selected variants, there are 
much more old syriac variants in this ms. And indeed, after collating 
eleven chapters from Luke, I find the results really interesting. Most 
chapters have half a dozen or more variants that are old syriac - even 
sometimes that are not in the two old syriac mss, but are present in 
witnesses of the Diatessaron (if anyone is interested in samples...).

According to Voobus, there are more of such mss. Is there really nobody 
anywhere working on a new critical edition of the peshitto NT? It's 
probably time to demonstrate that what the manuals are usually saying 
about its textual unity (very few variants etc...) is overstated.

It's interesting, in this regard, to observe the shift in Voobus' 
attitude between his first volume and the second. In the first volume 
(1951), he lauds the faithful transmission of the peshitto and its 
textual stability, in the second (1987) he aligns hundreds of old syriac 
variants from dozens of mss that were not used by Pusey-Gwilliam...

More about it later, probably...

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked] /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________
NISUS WRITER - the multilingual word processor for the Macintosh.
Find more about it at:
http://www.nisus-soft.com
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/nelc/grads/maschke/nisus_overview/toc.htm
l
_________________________________________________

---

From: "David G.K. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:03:39 GMT

A new edition of the Peshitta NT (and Harklean) is being produced by
Barbara Aland and co at the Muenster Institut fur neutestamentliche
Textforschung, "Das Neue Testament in syrischer Ueberlieferung"  (W.
de Gruyter). So far three volumes have appeared) containing the major
catholic epistles, and Rom., 1& 2 Cor., Gal., Eph., Phil., and Col. I
believe another vol. is on its way. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be fascinated to see some 
examples of your collations.

David Taylor

*********************************************************************
Dr David G.K.Taylor               email: [email-masked]
Department of Theology,       tel:   0121-414 5666
University of Birmingham,    fax:   0121-414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT,
U.K.
*********************************************************************