Subject: Re: Possible Nomina Sacra in Rev 1:4?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:15:39 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-08-21 21:41:39 EDT, you write:

<< From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
 Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:50:15 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: Re: Possible Nomina Sacra in Rev 1:4?
 
 On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, lakr wrote:
 
 > 1. Of the five usages of 'O WN ...' only Rev 1:4  has nothing in
 > aposition to the phrase.  The rest all have 'Lord God' (1:8),
 > 'Almighty God` (4:8), 'Lord Almighty God' (11:17), with 16:5 having
 > the pronoun 'EI'. >>
 
 On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]> wrote:
<< Since O WN is a characteristic Johannine phrase in the gospel (though 
 not used in the Apocalypse sense as a title of Christ),

Thank you all for your scholarly comments on Mussies' proposal.

I appreciated all comments. Just a point of clarification here regarding the
claim that O WN is used of Christ in the Apocalypse. Why would we infer that
Christ is the subject of the hO WN in 1:4 since 1:5 says KAI APO IESOU
XRISTOU ...? As noted, the Byzantine MSS (ca. 50%) inserts "QEOU" and not
"XRISTOU" in 1:4 [APO QEOU hO WN]. All five occurrences of hO WN were
previously listed and I include them above.

Thank you again,
Mitchell Andrews

---

From: Maurice Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

> previously listed and I include them above.

Mea culpa.  I intended to say "as a title of deity" rather than "as a
title of Christ".  My fingers worked overtime to produce what my mind was
not thinking. :-)

_________________________________________________________________________
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.           Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary     Wake Forest, North Carolina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~