Subject: Re: manuscripts in Brit. Mus

From: Mike Parsons <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:16:53 -0500

Reply to:   RE>manuscripts in Brit. Museum

check the back of your nestle-aland for a list of the locations of the various
mss of the nt.  D, i believe, is in cambridge, not the british museum.  of
course, don't miss the magna charta, the lindisfarne gospels, and if you're
interested the beatles manuscripts!  the only surviving copy of mallory's
morte d'arthur is there as well. of course, the black obelisk, the rosetta
stone and many other wonderful artifacts are in the museum itself.  have fun.
cheers,
mikeal parsons

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/21/97 5:55 AM
To: Mike Parsons
From: [email-masked].
Hi all!

I'm off to London next week and am planning to go to the British Museum.
What significant manuscripts does the museum have? I know they have
Aleph and A and also Bezae - are there any other major uncials or papyri
or other interesting documents that I should see?

cheers,
Andrew

+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS                   
|                                              
| Software Engineer (CelsiusTech Australia)
| & Theology Student (MA - Pacific College)
| Adelaide, Australia
| ph: +618 8281 0919  fax: +618 8281 6231
| email: [email-masked]
| 
| Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web page:
| http://www.cryogen.com/hermeneutics
|                                                            
| What's the point of gaining everything this world has  
| to offer, if you lose your own life in the end?          
|                                                          
|                                   ...Look to Jesus Christ
|                                                           
|                           hO IHSOUS KURIOS!                  
+---------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:17:23 +0900
From: Andrew Kulikovsky <[email-masked]>
Subject: manuscripts in Brit. Museum
Sender: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Organization: Killersoft

---

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Jeu, 21 Ao� 97 18:59:23 +0200

>or other interesting documents that I should see?

The Royal Library has a big collection of Syriac mss, including many very 
early one.

The manuscript of the Curetonian Gospels is Add. MS. 14451.

Peshitta mss include: Add. 14459 (Vth century - thus probably very close, 
at least chronologically, to the autograph, as the peshitto seems to have 
been released in the first half of the Vth century!), 17117 (Vth/VIth 
century, except for some later folios), 14453 (Vth/VIth), 14470 
(Vth/VIth). As you see, they are quite early (do we have so many Greek 
mss from that period? In any case, probably not so many as close to their 
autograph.).

You might also be interested in looking at a Harklean ms (don't forget 
it's one of the earliest critical editions!): look Add. 14469, written AD 
935-936.

Cheers,

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked] /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________
NISUS WRITER - the multilingual word processor for the Macintosh.
Find more about it at:
http://www.nisus-soft.com
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/nelc/grads/maschke/nisus_overview/toc.htm
l
_________________________________________________

---

From: "Mr A.J.A. LABOUCHERE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:24:46 -0400

>From Bill Petersen, abroad at the moment:

It might be worth pointing out that the vast majority of MSS in the British
Library are not accessible to the public, even for viewing, as they are
under lock and key in the Eastern Manuscripts Reading Room, and the Western
MSS Reading Room.  The last time I was there, the public display of ancient
MSS included a *facsimilie* of Codex Sinaiticus, etc.  Only a few Biblical
MSS were on display.  To gain access to the MSS Reading Rooms, one must
have a letter of introduction, from a recognized academic institution,
vouching for one's standing, necessity of using the BL, etc.  Even those
with passes are given only facsimilies to consult if you ask for something
like Codex Sinaiticus:  it simply is not circulated, even in the reading
room.

Since the construction of the new British Library (next to Charing Cross
station, if I recall correctly), I imagine most of these MSS have moved
there, for they were (I presume) the property of the British Library (the
name on my reader's passes), and not the British Museum (the old,
impressive building on Great Russell St.).

And, yes, Codex Bezae *Cantabrigiensis* is in Cambridge, England, in the
Univ. library.

--Petersen, Penn State University,  Netherlands Inst. for Adv. Studies.

---

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:00:03 -0400

Facsimiles of manuscripts are usually published, although a library may
produce a one-of-a-kind photo reproduction.  Because facsimile editions are
usually high quality they are generally quite expensive, so they are often
only available in larger or specialized libraries.  A very useful guide to
published facsimile editions is J. K. Elliott's _A bibliography of Greek
New Testament_ (Cambridge, 1989). 

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]