Subject: re: p64 and 7Q5

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

I think some of you on the list might have some bibliographic suggestions.
Make sure to reply to [email-masked] as well as to the list.  Thanks.

Jimmy Adair, Listowner, TC-List
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> I was wondering if you could suggest some good sources to read that deal with
> the above fragments.
>

---

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:36:05 -0400

>> I was wondering if you could suggest some good sources to read that deal

An easily accessible/semi-popular work that you should definitely look at
(if you've not already done so) is Graham Stanton's _Gospel Truth: New
Light on Jesus & the Gospels_ (Trinity, 1995).  (A highly condensed
selection from this book appeared as an article in Bible Review around the
beginning of 1996.)

Stanton provides thorough and compelling reasons why Thiede's claims re:
p64 and O'Callaghan's (and subsequently Thiede's) claims re: 7Q5 can almost
certainly not be correct.

Nichael
[email-masked]
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:32:57 +000

On P64, see the following:
--C. P. Thiede presents his controversial re-dating of P64 in 
"Papyrus Magdalen Greek 17 (Gregory-Aland P64):  A Reappraisal," 
_Zeitschrift fuer Papyrologie und Epigraphik_ 105(1995) 13-20.
--For critiques of Thiede, see K. Wachtel, "P64/67:  Fragmente des 
Mattausevangelums aus dem 1. Jahrhundert?" _ZPE_ 107(1995) 73-80; 
Harald Vocke, "Magdalen 17--Weitere Argumente gegen die Fruhdatierung 
des angeblichen Jesus-Papyrus, " _ZPE_ 113(1996) 153-57; P. M. Head, 
"The Date of the Magdalen Papyrus of Matthew (P.Magd. Gr. 17)=P64):  
A Response to Thiede," _Tyndale Bulletin_ 46(1995) 251-85.
--T. C. Skeat now proposes that P64 + P67 + P4 are fragments of the 
same codex, which he dates to ca. 200 CE, making it (among?) the 
earliest 4-gospel codex:  "The Oldest Manuscript of the Four 
Gospels?" _NTS_ 43(1997) 1-34.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]