Subject: Re: Amos 9:11-12: Hebrew to Greek

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 07:49:22 -7000

>    I don't have tools available (or know enough languages) to check into
> this myself readily so I have a question for the list:
> 
>    In Acts 15, Luke shows James citing Amos 9:11-12, according to the
> Old Greek, which is what Luke usually uses when citing the Scriptures of
> Israel.  It has been objected that James would never quote the LXX.
> While I find that argument open to criticism, I'm wondering if there are
> any Hebrew texts from, say Qumran, or other versions not dependent upon
> the Old Greek, which reflect the same reading as the Old Greek as cited
> in Acts or at least are close enough to it to explain how the Old Greek
> came to this rendering.

The only DSS I have been able to find that include this part of Amos 
are the Minor Prophets scroll from Murabba`at (DJD 2:187-188) and 
4QFlorilegium (DJD 5:53).  Both read with MT, and the latter is only 
a partial citation of v.11.  No help from Qumran, apparently.

Dave Washburn
[email-masked]
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html