Subject: Re: Alternatives

From: Michael Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:07:57 -0500 (CDT)

Dr Abigail Ann Young indicated her dismay at "the extent to which biblical
textual criticism and palaeography seem cut off from the wider world of
palaeography and t.c.! I do think you would be better advised not to make
the criteria so narrow."

I think her observation is valid, and her suggestion important.  To make the
criteria too narrow or formal would exclude too many outside of biblical
t.c. from whom we in the field could learn, and would, I fear, needlessly
exclude contributors like Vincent Broman and Robert Waltz, who regardless of
their formal qualifications, have made significant contributions, such as
the discussion of statistics earlier this year.  For example, Broman's
review (in the e-journal TC) of one of the recent volumes in the NT in the
Greek Fathers series (Mullin's diss., I think) may be the only review of a
volume in that series to make serious and informed proposals for improving
the use of statistics in analyzing the text of a father.

I'd rather make frequent use of my delete key on an open list than run the
risk of running off colleagues from whom we might learn something.

Mike Holmes

---

From: Mike and Jeanne Arcieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:54:10 -0700

> risk of running off colleagues from whom we might learn something.

Amen and Amen...

Mike A.