Subject: Re: Alternatives

From: [email-masked] (E. Habas)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:31:32 +0300 (IDT)

>Hi all
>
>Hope you don't mind a newbie adding to this thread. I hope that
>accessibility to this list will remain open to people like myself who
>mainly lurk and learn, but occassionaly need to find information on a
>particular subject relevant to the list. I look on the list like and
>interactive resource just like my concordance or Online Bible etc. Spare a
>thought for people in my position.
>

It all boils down to self-discipline, doesn't it? If everyone on the list
undertook to be courteous, think before "talking", respect the others'
formal or other qualifications (as seems to be happening under this new
"threat" - all for the better!), display  some humility, not expect busy
scholars to do their homework for them, and on the other hand also show
some patience to others - then a democratic list could just work. The
moderator can be trusted to ask people who do not qualify *in these
respects* to leave, and the remaining scholars, students and interested
parties of every race, creed and credentials can do their thing in peace.

If we are not self-disciplined, we *will* need someone to tell us what to do.

Effie