Subject: Masser's edition of St-Gall Codex 56

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:40:11 +0100

Regarding Valentin's questions about Masser's edition of the bilingual
gospel harmony (Latin & OH German) Codex Sangallensis:

Yes, the edition is welcome, and we will be using it here at NIAS this year
in our Diatessaron project on Tatian's text of John.  I don't know about
reviews, but they would probably have appeared first in European journals
in Germanics and medieval lit.

Yes, the lack of an *index locorum* is probably due to specialization, for
Masser is interested in the MS, its language, and the translation
techniques to be inferred from the MS, not the textual complexion of the
individual pericopes (which means you need to *find* the bloody things to
study them...).

Yes, the techniques you are using to navigate are the best I know:  Codex
Sangallensis has a sequence which is very similar to Codex
Fuldensis--although not exactly.  Moreover, the Latin and the OH German
columns of Codex Sangallensis do not always agree, and it is quite
consistently the OH German which seems to preserve the Diatessaronic
reading (two examples:  at John 2:1:  + "a city [called]" = SG-OHG,
Peshitta, Arabic Harmony, the Liege Harmony, and Venetian Harmony, *contra*
the Vulgate, SG-Latin, Fuldensis, etc.;  "in Rama"] "in the heights" in
Matt 2:18 in SG-OHG, Venetian Harmony, Tuscan Harmony, Cambridge Harmony,
Zuerich Harmony, *contra* Greek MSS, Vulgate, SG-Latin). So use Ranke's
index and, as a second step, de Bruin's for the Liege Harmony.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies (NIAS), Wassenaar, NL