Subject: Re: Alternatives

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:16:10 -7000

>I could set up a separate list called tc-pro (or some such) that would be
>a closed list, open only to people with certain minimum qualifications.

I would like to second Bob Waltz' alternate proposal for a tc-intro 
list instead.  My reasons are totally selfish: I don't know for sure 
that I would qualify for the tc-pro list.  While I did a lot of 
undergrad and Masters-level work in TC both Hebrew and Greek, my only 
publication on the topic is that one little note in TC (and my book 
reviews there); at the moment I teach computers, and that privately, 
not through any kind of academic institution.  I have never taught a 
formal TC course.  Hence, there are probably those who would 
disqualify me just as some would disqualify Bob (I definitely do not 
fall into this latter category, for whatever that is worth).

Another possibility would be to create a FAQ that answers some of the 
more basic questions that would likely come up on a tc-intro list.  
This would allow regulars on that list to point questioners to a 
source of basic information.  A pointer to this FAQ could easily be 
inserted into the tag that tc-list currently puts at the end of most 
every post: "To subscribe, do this; to unsubscribe, do that; be sure 
to check out the faq at dont.dumb.the.list.down.edu."

A combination of the above two would, I suspect, go a long way toward 
solving the currently-perceived problem.

Dave Washburn
[email-masked]
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html