Subject: 1 Cor 11:10 - Thanks

From: "ROLAN, BRET R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 08:05:03 -0500

I wish to thank those of you who obviously spent some time locating 
citations of this variant, and discussing them.  My question was purely 
to see if textual criticism could shed a little light on a somewhat 
awkward verse.

I was more than a little bit suprised, though, that the applicability of 
this verse was quickly dismissed as "quaint", and as somehow related to 
"strange cults", especially since the exact rendering of this verse in no 
way weakens Paul's argument.  I don't think many people seriously 
question that Paul commanded the Corinthians to practice this symbol of 
headship order, nor that this practice has been in continious use by at 
least some portion of Christianity for neary 2000 years.  (The East 
European "babushka", the Catholic nun's "habit", and the Western woman's 
"Sunday hat" all being vestiges of this once universal practice.)  While 
modern Western Christianity may call this practice "quaint", I hardly 
think that it could be called "moot", or in any way cultic.

Since this line of discussion is now off topic for this list, please feel 
free to E-mail me directly if you have comments.

Bret R. Rolan

[email-masked]

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:26:18 -0500 (CDT)

I need help in locating sources that discuss the history and textual base
of the Japanese New Testaments.  They can be in English or Japanese.

Thanks ahead of time.

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803