Subject: RE: Your final Words on the thread

From: "Kennedy, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:51:36 -0700

Okay you had something more to say. I assume that is your final word on
the subject. [I'm holding my breath.]

Mike Kennedy
Phoenix, AZ

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jim Deardorff [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Wednesday, September 17, 1997 2:43 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	Re: My final Words on the thread -- Mine too

	On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, U. Schmid wrote:

	> For some reason I initially thought there was something to
learn in this
	> discussion. Now I have to admit that I was wrong.
	> 
	> For sure, everyone is free to think what he or she wants. No
censorship
	> intended. But I'm simply not curious enough to wrestle with a
case that is
	> build on:
	> a) a "source" like the Talmud of Jmmanuel that the scholarly
community
	> universally dismisses, apparently used in an English
translation taken from
	> a German translation taken from a now lost Vorlage that noone
will ever be
	> able to assess...

	But it is much closer to its source, which itself is the source
for the
	Gospels, than are any of the mss available to TC to the earliest
Gospels.

	> b) the use of the ANF, a dated English translation of Greek
and Latin
	> sources, apparently not reliable when it comes to close
arguments and
	> certainly not reliable when it comes to its apparatus. ...

	You're no doubt correct there.  When one starts out in NT
studies, the ANF
	is the prime text one sees referenced over and over in the
literature, and
	is what a colleague recommended to me.  However he was no text
critic. 

	Jim Deardorff