Subject: Re: Electronic Texts?

From: [email-masked] (U. Schmid)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:28:15 +0100

On Tu, 30 sep 1997, Vincent Broman wrote (inter alia):

>> I would like to know if there are already text or
>> database files available of individual manuscripts?

>The IfNTTF in Muenster evidently has substantial files of
>that sort, but they treat them as commercially valuable secrets.

Where did you get this information from?

Ulrich Schmid,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Sep 1997 23:29:33 -0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> Where did you get this information from?

The existence of the files is discussed in Aland's "Text of the NT" and
in articles written by Muensteraner such as Gerd Mink, and it is demonstrated
for sample points of variation by the printouts in "Text und Textwert"
and for complete texts of the Epistle of James by the first installment
of the editio critica maior.

The motivation ascribed to them is my own conjecture, based on the observations
that those guys avoided answering direct questions about access to the files,
that late in 1997 no public electronic access to the files is provided,
despite obvious public interest, and on my own projected image of
sponsors not wanting to sow the effort of keyboarding without reaping the
expected harvest of publications (ahead of the competition).

Vincent Broman         Email: [email-masked],[email-masked]     =   o     
2224 33d St.             Phone: +1 619 284 3775                    =  _ /- _   
San Diego, CA  92104-5605  Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W     =  (_)> (_)  
___ PGP protected mail preferred.  For public key finger [email-masked] ___