Subject: Masser's edition of St-Gall Codex 56

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Lun, 1 Sep 97 22:45:48 +0200

A few months ago, I bought Masser's edition of the St-Gall bilingual 
Diatessaron, codex 56. I find it a beautiful edition, though it has one 
drawback: it has no tables helping me to find quickly a Gospel text when 
I find it. This is probably because the author is a germanist, and  maybe 
he didn't think to us biblicists (I remember several remarks about 
cloisoning of specialities in Dr Petersen's book about the Diatessaron, 
this is probably another case). I have two questions about this:

(1) Has this book been welcomed by the specialists, and are there reviews 
I could read about it? I'd be thankful to have some references.

(2) After months of complaining about the lacks of tables, I finally 
found a method for finding a given Gospel passage, and I post it today 
just in case it can help others (and also to have remarks in case it 
seems inaccurrate or if there's something simpler):

(a) first step: using C.C. De Bruin "Het Luikse Diatessaron, Registers" 
(Leiden, 1984), I look at my reference in the tables of Codex Fuldensis. 
These tables give the page and line numbers in Ranke's edition of Codex 
Fuldensis.
(b) second step: I take Ranke's edition, I find my passage and I look at 
the chapter number.
(c) third step: Masser's edition gives also the chapter numbers of his 
manuscripts. Here there is a subtlety:
- If it's chapter I to XX, the chapter numbers are the same.
- If it's chapter XXI in codex Fuldensis, it's still chapter XX in Codex 
St-Gall.
- If it's chapter XXII in codex Fuldensis, it's chapter XXI, and so on 
till the end of the book. Just substract a unity from the chapter number 
in Codex Fuldensis, and you have the right number in Codex St-Gall.

I have tried other things, for example looking at Eusebius' canons in the 
margins of my Nestle-Aland, then trying to see if it corresponds to 
something in the tables of Eusebius' canons in the edition of the St-Gall 
manuscript. I was not able to find the texts I was searching with that 
method, but may be I didn't do it correctly.

Greetings to all,

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked] /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________
NISUS WRITER - the multilingual word processor for the Macintosh.
Find more about it at:
http://www.nisus-soft.com
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/nelc/grads/maschke/nisus_overview/toc.htm
l
_________________________________________________