Subject: Re: Alternatives

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:53:26 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:37 PM 9/22/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I could set up a separate list called tc-pro (or some such) that would be
>a closed list, open only to people with certain minimum qualifications.

Excellent suggestion.  Please do it.

>
>If we were to set up a tc-pro list, what would be the qualifications for
>membership?  I think that we would want to set the qualifications fairly
>high, for a couple of reasons.  First, since everyone on the tc-list will
>be able to observe the discussions on tc-pro, there is no danger of
>information being denied to those who are interested.  Second, if we set
>the qualifications too low, everyone will abandon the tc-list and join the
>tc-pro list exclusively, and we won't have accomplished anything.  I would
>suggest that the tc-pro list be limited to those who have published
>something in the area of biblical textual criticism and perhaps also those
>who teach textual criticism in a college or seminary setting.  I would be
>interested to hear comments on the membership of the tc-pro list.

I would also think that participants would need to be conversant in the
Biblical languages.  Your suggestion that participants be published or teach
tc courses is alos excellent.  I would wonder, however, if you meant such a
person had to teach tc exclusively (which will make for a rather small list)
or if you mean to include those who teach tc along with other classes like
NT Theology or the like.

>
>If we decide to create a tc-pro list as described above, some computer
>programming will be required, so it won't be available immediately.  I'll
>wait to see what the response is before I begin work on it.
>

I hope that the response is good and that many others will see the value of
such a list.  I wonder, too, concerning who will evaluate the applicants for
the list- you, I believe, would do an excellent job but you may not want to
do it alone.

>Jimmy Adair, Listowner, TC-List
>Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
>    and
>Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
>---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West

Adjunct Professor of Bible,
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]