Subject: Re: The German Bible

From: [email-masked] (U. Schmid)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:16:19 +0100

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jim Deardorff <[email-masked]> wrote:

>In working my way into Metzger's 1968 book, I am wondering if more is
>known now about which texts the classical German bible depends upon.
>Metzger mentions that Luther's translation was of Erasmus's 2nd edition,
>but his footnotes indicate uncertainty on whether it relied more upon
>Erasmus's Greek or his Latin text, or even upon Luther's memorization of
>the Vulgate.  But since Erasmus relied upon (unspecified?) Greek texts as
>well as the Vulgate, this may indicate a stronger dependence still for the
>German bible upon the Vulgate.  Perhaps Ulrich could give an opinion here.
>
>I'm interested mainly in the German Bible's Gospel of Matthew.  I've
>noticed from N-A that it seems to share a few more commonalities with
>Vaticanus on major variants in Matthew than with other mss, and wonder, if
>this should be significant, how it might have come about.
>
>Jim Deardorff

Since my name came up, I should at least react. Sorry, I can't go into this
issue, mainly for two reasons:

1) I never worked on the German Bible(s).

2) Being detached from my admired sources (both written and "in the flesh")
in Muenster I can't even ask for assistance.

Sorry.

Ulrich Schmid,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies

---

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:19:02 +0100

For Jim Deardorff:

Another title for you:

W. Kurrelmeyer, *Die erste deutsche Bibel* (Tuebingen 1904).

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies