Subject: Re: The text of the LXX in the 1st century CE

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:53:51 +0100

Re Ken Litwak's questions about the LXX text in the 1st cent CE (and the
related problems of the "Old Greek," the MT, and the Qumran texts, which
have from time to time figured on the list in relation to other matters):

A very helpful exploration is the dissertation of Krister Stendahl, *The
School of Matthew* (1954; reissued 1968).  His analysis is properly
open-ended, examining each and every Matthean citation from the HB (Hebrew
Bible), and then comparing each with the MT, LXX, Qumran, Syriac OT,
Targums, etc.  Only then does he come to a conclusion.  It is, both in its
method and in its conclusions, a model study which any scholar would be
wise to consider in contemplating how to proceed, and what evidence one
examination of a particular text (here, Matthew) produced.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.

---

From: "Steve Carson-Rowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 00:16:13 +1000

From: William L. Petersen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: The text of the LXX in the 1st century CE

STEVE CR
Stendahl's book is not in my library. I found instead 'The Use of the OT in
St. Matthew's Gospel' by Robert H. Gundry (1975). It's the only book I've
found on Matthew's use of the OT. Do you know of it? and if so, how does it
compare with Standahl's work?

Steve Carson-Rowland
Brisbane, Australia
"Surfing's the source, it'll change your life, swear to God", Point Break
(1991)