Subject: new book

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:18:45 +000

My colleague, Timothy Lim, has a new book just out that will be of 
interest to at least some on this list:  _Holy Scripture in the 
Qumran Commentaries & Pauline Letters_ (Oxford:  Clarendon, 1997).  
TC-list readers will particularly be interested to see how Lim draws 
upon recent scholarhip on the textual state of the Heb & Greek OT in 
the lst century in analyzing the interpretive practices evident in 
the Qumran and Pauline writings.  He also helpfully notes (with some 
earlier scholars) how we need to avoid oversimplifying things by 
treating the LXX as *the* Greek text available in this early period, 
and avoid treating the MT as if it were already standardized then.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]