Subject: Re: tc-list Questions on Luke

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:22:48 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 28-10-97 8:47:45 PM, Ken Litwak wrote:

>  Is anyone aware of detailed studies on this
>issue in Luke or have any thoughts on it?  The above is not meant as a
>detailed analysis but just an impression from reading through that
>portion of Luke recently.  Thanks.

The work by Carlo Martini would be among the best on P75 in Luke:
Carlo Martini, Il Problema della Recensionalita del Codice B alla Luce del
Papiro Bodmer XIV.  (in Analecta Biblica, vol. 26, Rome, Pontificio Instituto
Biblico, 1966).  

You may also want to look at the following:

J. Neville Birdsall's article in Studies in the New Testament Language and
Text, edited by Keith Elliott, vol. 44 of Supplements to Novum Testamentum,
Leiden, E. J. Brill, 1976.

J. Duplacy, P75 (Pap. Bodmer XIV-XV) et les formes les plus anciennes du
texte de Luc, in L'Evangile de Luc: Probleme litteraires et theologiques,
Belgium, J. Duculot, 1973.

Sarah A. Edwards, P75 under the Magnifying Glass, in Novum Testamentum, 18
(July 1976): 190-212.

I could list some others, but these should get you started towards
understanding P75 better.  Having collated P75 in Luke some time ago, I can
vouch that it is extremely close to B (as well as to P4 where those two
overlap, but allowance should be made for limited text overlap).

I hope this helps.

Paz,

Bill Warren
Professor of New Testament and Greek
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:13:39 -0600

List:

    Are any of the earliest NT papyri opisthographs?  P52 appears
to be the oldest example of a codex fragment, therefore it's a quo
date of 113 CE is the earliest date I can assign for the practice
(unless anyone knows of an earlier example).  I would be
interested in some examples of the ad quo dates for both Hebrew
and Greek opisthographic papyri.

Jack

--
D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon ([email-masked])

 http://users.accesscomm.net/scriptorium

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:28:07 -0600 (CST)

>and Greek opisthographic papyri.

P13 -- the most substantial papyrus not in the Beatty or Bodmer
collections -- is an opisthograph. Date is listed as III/IV.
Text is similar to P46 and B.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: Bart Ehrman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:29:52 -0500 (EST)

A side-question.  How have you arrived at 113 CE as the terminus a quo? 

-- Bart Ehrman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:11:01 -0600

> -- Bart Ehrman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

    Actually, I mistyped and it should have been 117 CE.  The
fragmenthas been dated to the time of Hadrian by Roberts with agreement
from
most of the eminent palaeographers of the time, Deissman, Kenyon, etc.
Deissman actually held open the possibility for the time of Trajan
(98-117 CE).

Jack

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:52:45 -0600

> Text is similar to P46 and B.

    Since the text on the verso of P13 is Livy, has their been an
opinion
offered as to how the papyrus was used?  A draft preliminary to the
making of a codex?  A singular scroll of Hebrews, reusing a scroll
of Livy?  Is it a true opisthograph in that the text of Hebrews does not

continue on the reverse?

    I am wondering if the invention of the codex is of Christian origin
and may coincide with the "collation" of the Gospels and epistles
of Paul, perhaps in Ephesus, around the turn of the 2nd century.....
perhaps Ephesians being a "cover letter" for that work.

    For the life of me, I cannot find support for Thiede's claim that
the Codex was in use in the mid 1st century.

Jack