Subject: Re: tc-list The date of the Peshitta; also Majority text...

From: "DC PARKER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:43:58 GMT

There are, characteristically, various red herrings drawn across the 
trail here.  May I dispose of one of them by saying that the question 
of the priority of the Curetonian to the Peshitta and hence the date of the 
latter was discussed long before 1881 and Westcott & Hort?  The first
studies on the subject date to 1859, the year after Cureton published 
his edition.  Some references may be found, for example, on p. 17
of the 4th ed. of Scrivener's _Plain Introduction_.

I would like also to observe that I see no justification for offence 
at Petersen's restrained and well-directed criticisms of Waltz's 
reading of Metzger.  To ignore them is simply to to reject the need 
for precision and discrimination that is necessary in text-critical 
work, and to despise a careful scrutiny from an expert in the field.

DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]