Subject: Re: tc-list Patristic Citations

From: [email-masked] (U. Schmid)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:59:33 +0100

On Sat, 11 oct 1997, Steven Carr wrote:

>2nd-century patristic citations are very important.
>In 'The New Testament Documents - Are They Reliable?' F.F.Bruce writes

[snip]

>As I am assured that you don't get to be a university professor by
>making unsupported assertions your stock-in-trade, I would be grateful
>to know how much support these assertions have.

As I am assured that you don't get to be considered a serious student by
simply disrespectfully treating a reputable scholar, I would be grateful to
know, if you ever considered the possibility of getting hold of one of
Prof. Bruce's other publications on the subject.

Ulrich Schmid,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies

---

From: Steven Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:27:14 +0100

In message <v01510100b0656959546e@[192.87.136.214]>, "U. Schmid"
<[email-masked]> writes

>Prof. Bruce's other publications on the subject.

Well, of course I have, but I have yet to find where he gives the quotes
from 1 and 2 Timothy in Polycarp, along with the others. People like
Elaine Pagels say that Paul's letters are very little quoted until
Irenaeus and I am just trying to find out whom to believe.

I would be thankful if you could tell me if the letters of Ignatius and
Polycarp do, or do not, cite, quote or allude to the New Testament books
that F..F.Bruce mentioned in his book.