Subject: Re: HEBREW SCROLLS PICTURES (was: Hebrew paleography)

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sam, 4 Oct 97 00:20:21 +0200

>I think you'll find that scroll 1 is Exodus 19, just before the ten 
>commandments, while scroll 2 is Leviticus 14.
>
This is right :-)

>What also strikes me as interesting is the apparent lack in scroll 1 
>of the usual scribed horizontal lines to guide the scribe in forming 
>them letters.
No, they simply don't appear on the scanned image (it's an old, 
second-hand scanner). But as usually, the horizontal lines are drawn with 
a dry pen.

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________

---

From: "Lewis Reich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 05:32:51 +0000

On  4 Oct 97  at 0:20 Jean VALENTIN wrote:

<Lewis Reich>
> >of the usual scribed horizontal lines to guide the scribe in forming 

<JV>
> second-hand scanner). But as usually, the horizontal lines are drawn
> with a dry pen.

I didn't do a good job of communicating my thought here.  I didn't, 
of course, expect to see the lines themselves..  However, where they 
are used, usually the letters are aligned in such a way as to make 
their presence obvious.  In scroll 1, that sort of alignment is not 
evident.  That is, although the lines of letters appears to be 
straight, neither their tops nor bottoms seem to be aligned with a 
single horizontal line. Since they are there visible on the original 
I do find it interesting that the scribe did not follow this 
practice.

Lewis Reich
[email-masked]