Subject: Re: Electronic Texts?

From: [email-masked] (U. Schmid)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:57:33 +0100

On Tue, 30 sep 1997, Vincent Broman wrote (inter alia):

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>
>me:
>>> The IfNTTF in Muenster evidently has substantial files of
>>> that sort, but they treat them as commercially valuable secrets.
>
>[email-masked]:
>> Where did you get this information from?
>
>The existence of the files is discussed in Aland's "Text of the NT" and
>in articles written by Muensteraner such as Gerd Mink, and it is demonstrated
>for sample points of variation by the printouts in "Text und Textwert"
>and for complete texts of the Epistle of James by the first installment
>of the editio critica maior.

Let's clear up just one point, Vincent. What do you mean by "the files"?
Your initial reply referred to the following question (no name attached):

> I would like to know if there are already text or
> database files available of individual manuscripts?

As far as I understand this question, it refers to files of individual
_manuscripts_. The "Text und Textwert" volumes give "Teststellen" of
individual manuscripts but not individual _manuscripts_. The first
installment of the editio critica maior gives the text of individual
manuscripts _of the Epistle of James_. Apart from very few fragments which
contain only text of James, there is no such thing as "files available of
individual manuscripts".

Ulrich Schmid,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies