Subject: tc-list Hebrew Matthews

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:55:20 +0100

Three brief notes on this topic:

(1) Du Tillet's text was linked to the western harmonized tradition by D.
Plooij in his various publications in the 1920s and 1930s.  The connexion
rests on textual agreements.  This virtually insures that a Latin *Vorlage*
is in play.  See the numerous examples in the apparatus of D. Plooij, *The
Liege Diatessaron* (Amsterdam 1929-1970).  Incidentally, this apparatus is
one of the most useful ever constructed for the study of the gospels:
Plooij included an enormous range of versional, commentary [gloss], and
Patristic evidence.

(2) On the text of Shem-Tob, see my review of G. Howard's *The Gospel of
Matthew according to a Primitive Hebrew Text,* which appeared in *JBL* 108
(1989), pp. 722-726, which offers eleven examples of agreements between
Shem-Tob and the Middle Dutch tradition.

(3) At the moment, I am finishing both a full-length article on Shem-Tob
(in reply to the article of Shedinger in *NTS* this year), and also a
review of Howard's second edition of Shem-Tob (*Hebrew Gospel of Matthew*).
The review is at the invitation of *TC*, and will be available in the not
too distant future.  Again, the investigation shows that the text of
Shem-Tob is not, in general, "primitive" or "antique," but medieval (and
datable because of certain readings), and based almost certainly on a Latin
*Vorlage.*

On a totally unrelated topic:  the Baarda FS will be published by Brill
(and presented in Amsterdam) tomorrow;  a list of the contents will be
posted over the weekend, as many of the articles treat text-critical
matters.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.