Subject: Re: HEBREW SCROLLS PICTURES (was: Hebrew paleography)

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sam, 4 Oct 97 00:21:41 +0200

>    No, it was the practice to write YHWH in palaeohebrew.  I am
>sendingyou a gif of 1Qps (psalms Scroll) where if you enlarge the view
>of the
>first page (on the right) you will see the palaeohebrew YHWH is the
>Hasmonean style Hebrew.
>
Such was the practice in several Dead Sea scrolls and very old 
manuscripts, but I've never heard or read of that in regular, masoretic 
manuscripts.

jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
_________________________________________________

---

From: "Lewis Reich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 05:48:26 +0000

On  4 Oct 97  at 0:21 Jean VALENTIN wrote:

> >of the first page (on the right) you will see the palaeohebrew YHWH is the
> >Hasmonean style Hebrew.

> manuscripts, but I've never heard or read of that in regular,
> masoretic manuscripts.

Nor I; the reason I suggested that it might be Samaritan is that they 
were the only group I was aware of who continued to use a 
palaeohebrew for the Tetragrammaton into later times.  Unfortunately, 
the image as displayed onmy computer is not clear enough for me to 
tell whether it is the rather distinctive development of palaeohebrew 
used by the Samaritans.

Lewis Reich
[email-masked]

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:03:18 +000

On abbreviations of YHWH in Hebrew biblical mss, see the following:
--M. Delcor, "Des diverse manieres d'ecrire le tetragramme sacre dans 
les anciens documents hebraiques," RHR 147(1955): 145-73.
--J. Z. Lauterbach, "Substitutes for the Tetragrammaton," PAAJR 
(1930-31): 39-67.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]