Subject: Re: tc-list 1John 5:7

From: "Mark Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 23:12:31 -0600

The main arguments made in this book are appeals to the indirect tradition
( Old Syriac, Old Latin and Latin patristic sources, among others ) and
providential preservation. The problem with this approach is that to argue
that the direct tradition ( greek MSS ) has become badly corrupt argues
against providential preservation. The authour makes much of the fact that
the Textus Receptus contains it, but not all editions of the TR do. In
short, the Johannine Comma has little to recommend it, either textually or
theologically.

Mark Johnson

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:52:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: tc-list 1John 5:7

Larry,

I am a lurker on this list and also pastor of the Colonial Heights Baptist
Church in Wichita, Ks.  I have just recently read --A History of the Debate
Over I John 5:7-8 by Michael Maynard   published by Comma Publications. P.
O. Box 1625,  Temple Az. 85281-1625.  I you have access to this book I
would
like your evaluation of it.

Gene Hughes
[email-masked]
Wichita, Ks. 67207

------------------------------

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:00:42 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Mark Johnson wrote:
> that the direct tradition ( Greek MSS ) has become badly corrupt argues
> against providential preservation. The author makes much of the fact that
 
> would like your evaluation of it.
> Gene Hughes

On page 352, Maynard claims the comma is quoted by Cyprian.  I could not
find a clear quote in Cyprian.  Can anyone shed light on early church
fathers and the comma?

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:36:42 -0600 (CST)

On page 352 of _A History of the Debate Over I John 5:7, Maynard claims
the comma is quoted by Cyprian.  I could not find a clear case of this in
Cyprian.  Can anyone help me identify who was the first to really quote
the comma?