Subject: Re: tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:35:05 -0500

Ron:
I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787

Hope this helps

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
Tennessee Temple University/Temple Baptist Seminary
1815 Union Ave. 
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked] (preferred)
[email-masked] (alternate)
http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:11:09 -0500

At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
>
><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
>
>Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
>
>Guy Story Brown, Dallas
>[email-masked]
>
>

here

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:49:29 -0500

Ron:

Chapter 6
 
The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
and salvation.

Hope this helps