Subject: Re: tc-list ENTMP transcription of Freer Gospels Matthew

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:13:41 -0500 (EST)

On 1 Dec 1997, Vincent Broman wrote:

> Robinson's
> Collate program is Mac-only and is supposed to do wonders with TEI texts.

Peter Robinson showed a demo of his Collage program at one of the meetings
of the Electronic Standards for Biblical Languages Texts seminar at the
recent SBL meeting in San Francisco, and it was very impressive.  The good
news for non-Mac users is that a Windows 95 version is supposed to be
ready by now (the target date was late 1997).  Go to
http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate/order_collate.html for
more information.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
-------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Dec 1997 23:59:05 -0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Adair mentioned:
> http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate ... for more information.

Thanks kindly for the URL.  Unfortunately, the blurbs there are rather
uninformative about what the program's capabilities are (or else they are
informative but it is not very capable).

One is left entirely in the dark about what the inputs to the program
are, aside from scholarly keystrokes.  Input of Texts? Collations? how many
at a time? in what formats? the same formats as supported for output?
In what alphabets and with what lexical analysis rules? With markup or
only bare text?

Does the program filter or edit collations? separate or merge points of
variation? output subset collations? support a turing-complete scripting
language? run in batch mode? perform regularizations by rule?
classify variants as significant/insignificant?  organize variants with
sub-variants, sub-sub-variants?  etc.

Vincent Broman                                       San Diego, California, USA
Email: broman at sd.znet.com (home)       or spawar.navy.mil or nosc.mil (work)
Phone: +1 619 284 3775                       Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W
=== PGP protected mail preferred.   For public key finger me at np.nosc.mil ===