Subject: tc-list RE: Sam Pent

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:22:35 -0500

Von Gall is the only critical edition with apparatus of SP and it is good
that it remains in print.  However. A. Tal, a recognized expert in the
filed of SP, says ". . . The extant edition [von Gall] does not fulfill the
requirements of modern philology.  Not only is the text he created an
eclectic composition, but von Gall even altered the character of Samaritan
Hebrew by giving priority to what he called 'the rules of Hebrew Grammar." 
An alternative, or at least a supplement to von Gall is Tal's _The
Samaritan Pentateuch edited according to MS 6(C) of the Shekhem Synagogue_
(Tel-Aviv University, 1994).  Tal also published a critical edition of the
Samaritan Targum in three volumes (Tel-Aviv, 1980-83).

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]

---

From: "Dr Johann Cook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:57:26 GMT+0200

> Date:          Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:22:35 -0500
> From:          "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
> Subject:       tc-list RE: Sam Pent
> To:            TC-List <[email-masked]>
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]

> Samaritan Targum in three volumes (Tel-Aviv, 1980-83).

Another useful publication is Pentateuco Hebreo-Samaritano Genesis by 
Luis Fernando Giron Blanc, in the series Textos y Estudios "Cardenal 
Cisneros"de la BIBLIA POLIGLOTA MATRITENSE Instituto "ARIAS MONTANO". 
C.S.I.C. Madrid 1976. 

Prof. Johann Cook 
Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
University of Stellenbosch
7600 Stellenbosch
SOUTH AFRICA 
tel 22-21-8083207
fax: 22-21-8083480