Subject: tc-list Vocabulary

From: Mike Bossingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:47:27 -0500

Hi,

As a computer scientist I too am drawn to algorithems.

However, even as a undergraduate, I quickly came to realise that analysing
vocabulary is not a good way of establishing style and authorship. It is so
context sensitive.  If vocabulary, in general, is a poor way, then within
that looking at hapaxes is a really naf way, (sorry not an academic word
there, buts that how a feel)

For example, looking at Acts, a blind algorithem looking at hapaxes would
throw up Acts 27 as suspect. However even a cursory glance would reveal
that the action takes place on a ship and the hapaxes are nautical terms.

If you want to work with algorithems, and I do, Bob, then look at word
order and construction of sentances. In ancient languages authors had
greater freedom to change word order and they certainly used that facility.
I did some work 5 years ago that produced interesting results.

Sorry about language and spellings, I dashed this off before rushing off to
do my 10th Christmas Assembly.

Regards

Mike Bossingham