Subject: Re: tc-list early church fathers

From: "Steve Carson-Rowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:00:12 +1100

From: Ronald L. Minton <[email-masked]>

I need to locate two or three books or Journal articles that discuss the
early church fathers' use and citation of biblical texts.  If you have
found any to be particularly useful for the non-specialists, but informed
reader, I would appreciate information on them.

STEVE CR
I'm definitely a non-specialist, but I found these books to be good:

Bellinzoni, A.J.		The sayings of Jesus in Justin Martyr	Leiden 1967		
Hagner, Donald A.	The Use of Old and New Testament in Clement of Rome
Leiden 1973		
Donfried, Karl Paul	The Setting of Second Clement in early Christianity
1974		

Steve Carson-Rowland
Brisbane, Australia

---

From: [email-masked] (John R Russell)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:47:02 -0500

Ron,

Bruce Metzger has written two articles on Patristic Evidence and TC.

Bruce Metzger.  "Patristic Evidence and the Textual Criticism of the New
Testament."  _New Testament Studeis_  18, pp. 379-400.

Bruce Metzger.  "Explicit References in the Works of Origen to Variant
Readings in New Testament Manuscripts," in _Historical and Literary
Studies:  Pagan, Jewish and Christian_.  New Testament Tools and Studies,
Vol. VIII, ed. B.M. Metzger.  Leiden:  E.J. Brill, 1968.

The second article deals with variant readings that Origen mentions in
his writings that no longer exist.

John Russell
ThM Student 
Baptist Bible College, PA

---

From: [email-masked] (Carlton Winbery)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:59:48 +0400

>reader, I would appreciate information on them.

A very good study is the Oxford study "The NT in the Apostolic Fathers."
It is out of print, but I got hold of a copy via inter-library loan from
Princeton Theological Seminary library.  It is done by a committee, none of
whom are named in the book.