Subject: Re: tc-list-digest V2 #213

From: [email-masked] (HILL R KAPLAN)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:13:31 -0800

In TC-213 Jim West wrote:
>
>From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:03:14 -0500
>Subject: tc-list 4QXII(f) Micah 5:2
>
>I continue to wonder about the significance (or lack thereof) 
>regarding the glaring LO found in the Qumran fragment of Micah.  
>Is it possible that this

>LO was dropped because the implication is that the Davidic House will 
>no longer provide kings for the kingdom.  I.e., is Micah denouncing the 
>royal family by saying "there will NOT come forth from you...."
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim

==================================================

Issue 1

So far, in this discussion, this verse has been identified as Micah 5:2, 
but in the Masoretic version of the text, it is the first verse of the
chapter.

Can anything be gleaned from the manuscript itself regarding the end of 
Chapter 4 ?  Is there any added spaces between the letters ? Is there any

punctuation whatsoever ?  Perhaps a *P* (petucha) for open paragraph or
a *S* (setuma) for a closed paragraph. 

Specht indicates that there are some punctuation marks  in some Qumran 
texts, but that they are not yet standardized. He notes that they may
even occur 
at different places in copies of the same book..

In the absence of clear markings, why have TC scholars followed  the
markings 
of St Cher (1263) rather than that of the Masoretes ?

====================================

ISSUE 2

I examined the various alternatives to the masoretic text listed in
Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensia for MICAH 5:1.

Since none of the over 250 (?) manuscripts utilized in this monumental;
study
include the what you have called  *the problematic LO*.

The Hebrew offers ** LI ** ; the consonantal letters are  Lamed, Yud.  
When QXII offers **LO** ; the consonantal letters are Lamed,Vov
There is only a slight difference between the appearance of Vows and
Yurt.
The downstroke of the Yule is much shorter.

Cantillation marks, The Masoretic apparatus which is often used to
indicate
proper phrasing of the text assign **LI** to the next phrase;  
It carries a conjunctive.  The text thus reads:
 
                                  He shall come   to me
                            LI     YAY-TSAY     

BTY the Hebrew word preceding **LI** is  MIM-ME-CHA and it carries a 
disjunctive cantillation sign.

HILLEL