Subject: tc-list 4QXII(f) Micah 5:2

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:03:14 -0500

I continue to wonder about the significance (or lack thereof) regarding the
glaring LO found in the Qumran fragment of Micah.  Is it possible that this
LO was dropped because the implication is that the Davidic House will no
longer provide kings for the kingdom.  I.e., is Micah denouncing the royal
family by saying "there will NOT come forth from you...."

Thanks,

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West

[email-masked]

---

From: "Roderic L. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:25:34 -0500

Two possibilities come immediately to mind:
  
First, maybe this LO is a tendentious emendation by a Qumran scribe unhappy
with the history of the Davidides rather than a word original to Micah.

Second, If this LO were orignal to Micah this LO could be, as Brevard Childs
suggests in his commentary on Exodus 3:3 (see p.50), following D.N.
Freedman, a LO used for emphasis rather than for negation. See also Koehler
Baumgartner, *Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon* (English ed., vol. 2, pp.510-511,
where LE emphatic is sometimes written as LO.

Just musing.-- Rod Mullen