Subject: tc-list Zech 12:10

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 13:47:00 -0800

Zechariah 12:10 and John 19:37

Here is a question for you

In Zechariah 12:10 it says "And they will look to me whom they have
pierced". My question is on the word "to me" ( 'eli   in the MT ) . The
master text by C.D Ginsburg has a foot note on this verse which says some
eastern manuscripts read ( 'elayv  / 'elayw  ) "to him".  All Hebrew
versions of John that I have ( and I have 8 of them ) read "to him" ( 'elayv
) and the Syriac Peshitta reads "in who". 

Anyway to make a long story short my question is this:

"DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH MANUSCRIPTS GINSBERG WAS QUOTING?" 

and 

"DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEAD SEA SCROLL COPY OF ZECHARIAH 12:10?

Thanks again

Mark Gipe

---

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Lun, 5 Jan 98 02:06:02 +0100

>"DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH MANUSCRIPTS GINSBERG WAS QUOTING?" 
He was not quoting manuscripts, but traditional lists of "variants" 
between Ma'arbaye (scholars of the palestinian schools) and Madinhaye 
(sholars of the babylonian schools).
On this, see I. Yeivin, Introduction to the Tiberian masorah, translated 
and edited by E.J. Revell. Masoretic Studies 5, Scholars Press 1980, 
paragraphs 153 and 154.

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est 
inutilisable"
"What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
"Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar"
_________________________________________________

---

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 18:49:14 -0800

Thanks very much Jim and Curt and Jean for replying to my post on Zech 12:10

Jean noted that Ginsburg was refering to variants as we know from the way
Ginsburg said "ketiv" and "Qeri". My question is does anyone know which
manscripts have these variants that is "Qeri" written in their margins?

Thanks you very much once again

Shalom alechem, kol shel etchem

Mark Gipe

P.S. I will check out the book you spoke about Jean Thanks!!!