Subject: tc-list Georg Pasor

From: Carlton Meredith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:06:47 -0500

On January 29, 1998, Ron Minton wrote: "I am looking for information on
Georg Pasor."

I have gleaned the following principally from Bayle’s _Dictionnaire_:

Georg Pasor (b. August 1, 1570, Allar, Nassau; d. December 10, 1637,
Herborn, Nassau).  Professor of theology and Hebrew for 19 years at
Herborn; also taught at Franeker.

Author of a number of works, including:

a funeral oration for Piscator.
_Collegium Hesiodeum_ (analysis of difficult words in Hesiod).
_Lexicon Novi Testamenti_ (a small dictionary of the NT).
a NT grammar (that was well considered at the time).
a _Manuale Novi Testamenti_.

The last three of these works were revised by his son, Matthias (b. April
12, 1599, Herborn, Nassau; d. January 28, 1653).

I have found nothing on Georg Pasor’s edition of the NT.

His son, Matthias, taught mathematics at Heidelberg until he was "driven to
England by the troubles in the Palatinate" in the early 1620s (_Encycl.
Brittannica_, ninth ed., vol. 19, p. 253), where he taught mathematics,
theology and oriental languages at Oxford.  Matthias ended his days
teaching philosophy, theology and mathematics at Groningen.  Matthias kept
a journal in Latin which was published posthumously (_Vita sua…_,
Groningen, 1658).  Perhaps this journal might contain information on Georg
and his edition of the NT..….

Pierre Bayle adds the following amusing comment in his _Dictionary_ article
on Georg’s son, Matthias Pasor: "He (Matthias) did not publish many books;
the two reasons he gives for this are admirable, and should serve as a rule
for many people, myself included: 1) he did not wish to cause young people
to abandon the reading of of the good books (*graviorum Authorum*) we
already have (*quos per Dei gratiam habemus*); and 2) he did not want to
endanger the money of the booksellers, who often incur great expense for
printings of books that only sell very slowly, or even stay forever in the
back of the bookstore."

Carlton Meredith
Biblical Seminary of Brussels
[email-masked]