Subject: tc-list Literature on the *Pericope adulterae*

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:39:24 -0500

Rod Mullen remarked:

>In re the pericope of the woman caught in adultery, I've been reading a copy
>of D. C. Parker's *LIVING TEXT OF THE GOSPELS* (just out with Cambridge
>U.PR.) for a review.  Parker devotes a very interesting chapter to the
>textual ins and outs of the passage.  --Rod Mullen

Might I also draw attention to a chapter I contributed to the Baarda FS,
which adduces textual evidence that the *pericope adulterae* circulated in
the 2nd century, in a form similar to that which it now has in the Gospel
of John (and not in the form found in the *Didascalia* nor, presumably, in
Eusebius' report concerning Papias).  The evidence also suggests that it
*might* have been part of John in the second half of the second century
(but then again, it might not have, for there is significant evidence
against it--all presented and examined  in the article).

The reference is:

"OUDE EGW SE [KATA]KRINW. John 8:11, the *Protevangelium Iacobi,* and the
History of the *Pericope adulterae,* in *Sayings of Jesus: Canonical and
Non-canonical,* edd. W.L. Petersen, J.S. Vos, H.J. de Jonge, Supplements to
Novum Testamentum 89 (Leiden: Brill, 1997), pp. 191-221.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.