Subject: Re: tc-list History of transmission

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:48:26 -0500

At 08:33 AM 1/24/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Put it this way: Scribes would naturally tend to make the text
>conform with their prejudices -- which in turn reflect their
>theology. An obvious example is John 7:8. The original text surely
>quotes Jesus as saying that he "would not" go up to the feast.
>But he *did* go to the feast. So scribes, who could not bear
>the idea that Jesus would lie, change his mind, or be wrong,
>corrected this to would not yet" go to the feast.
>
>I'm not sure if there are enough variants of this type to reveal
>anything about scribes' thought patterns -- but I suppose there
>might be.

On this one would do well to turn to Bart Ehrman's "Orthodox Corruption of
Scripture"- an excellent book for anyone even remotely interested in things TC.

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bernard A. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:26:25 -0800

> Scripture"- an excellent book for anyone even remotely interested in things TC.

Jim,

Could you give bibliographical information on this? It sounds
intriguing.

Regards,

Bernard Taylor