Subject: tc-list Ginsburg edition

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:59:44 -0500

The Ginsburg edition which contains the fullest set of textual notes is the
1908-1926 edition in four volumes.  However there are several other
editions, including a "student" edition.  I think that the reprints
available from the Society for Distributing Hebrew Scriptures and the Bible
Society in Israel are from one of the smaller editions.  Makor (Jerusalem)
reprinted the four volume edition (in 5 volumes), but I do not know if it
is still available.  If someone is actually selling the four volume major
edition for US $15, it's a real bargain!

Although Ginsburg is still useful for his collations of many later
manuscripts, the best place to check on this is in Kennicott or de Rossi
(see Wurhtwein for full bibliographic information.  De Rossi discusses the
Zech 12:10 reading in question in vol. 3, pp. 217-220, a problem which
generated a great deal of interest in medieval manuscripts and medieval
exegesis, but the cumulated evidence offers little help in establishing the
early form of the text.  

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]