Subject: tc-list Zechariah at Qumran

From: Sarah Lind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:48:37 -0500

>>DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEAD SEA SCROLL COPY OF ZECHARIAH 12:10?

Scanlin (The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the OT, Tyndale
House, 1993) does not list this passage in his comprehensive listing of
biblical passages in Qumran mss (incl the Nahal Hever Greek Minor Prophets
scroll).

Sarah Lind
[email-masked]

---

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 14:14:45 -0600

4QXII-g contains portions of the verse, but not the text in question.

Curt Niccum

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Sarah Lind [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Monday, January 05, 1998 11:49 AM
	To:	INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Subject:	tc-list Zechariah at Qumran

	>>DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEAD SEA SCROLL COPY OF ZECHARIAH 12:10?

	Scanlin (The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the OT,
Tyndale
	House, 1993) does not list this passage in his comprehensive
listing of
	biblical passages in Qumran mss (incl the Nahal Hever Greek
Minor Prophets
	scroll).

	Sarah Lind
	[email-masked]

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 15:57:37 -0500

>4QXII-g contains portions of the verse, but not the text in question.

Indeed, there are several fragments of Zech among the DSS- but, as Curt
pointed out, there are none for this particular verse (12:10).

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 15:59:07 -0500

Sorry- I pushed send before my message was complete.  Anyway, I checked J.
Maier's book on Qumran and he does not list Zech 12:10 as a quotation in any
of the texts from Qumran.

Jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:13:58 -0600

Most published lists of biblical passages found in the Dead Sea Scrolls
are based on preliminary investigations. There are, therefore, numerous
errors, mostly on the side of omission. One should always consult the
critical editions. For the Prophets, consult DJD XV; Qumran Cave 4 - X,
ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).

Curt Niccum

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jim West [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Monday, January 05, 1998 2:59 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	RE: tc-list Zechariah at Qumran

	Sorry- I pushed send before my message was complete.  Anyway, I
checked J.
	Maier's book on Qumran and he does not list Zech 12:10 as a
quotation in any
	of the texts from Qumran.

	Jim

	[email-masked]

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 16:25:55 -0500

>ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).

I am well aware of DJD.  My attempt to answer the question went a little
further than simply looking in the Prophets volume.  Rather, believeing the
interested party would like to know if the text were anywhere preserved in
the DSS it seemed reasonable to look to see if the passage in question were
quoted in any of the manuscripts.  As the DJD volumes do not do this, I
turned to Maier, who kindly lists all quotations of Biblical texts in the
DSS.  Unless you are suggesting that the DJD volumes list every occurance of
the Biblical texts in the sectarian materials.  If they do, I have
overlooked it.

Jim

[email-masked]