Subject: tc-list t-c C. P. Thiede

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:59:56 EST

Sorry if this is old hash.

Just wondering how Thiede's contention that some bits of papyrus containing a
portion of Matthew's Gospel are to be dated from the mid 1st Century?

Also, are their any places on the Web where the pros and cons of this
contention are discussed/debated?

Thanks,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon, pastor
Lutheran Church of the Apostles
5100 W. 115th Street
Alsip, IL  60803

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:19:42 -0600

> contention are discussed/debated?

	Thiede has gone way out on a limb in attributing the Magdalen
Papyri to the 1st half of the 1st century.  His arguments are tenuous to
even
a layman such as myself.  The concensus of scholarly opinion on the
palaegraphy
of the fragments place them in the latter 2nd century.  Thiede claims
the use of
uncials had died out by the mid first century (not really true) and must
push
both the use of the codex as well as Nomina Sacra well into the
primitive church.

Jack

-- 
D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon ([email-masked])    

 http://scriptorium.accesscomm.net