Subject: RE: tc-list Herman Hoskier

From: "Kennedy, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:27:55 -0700

Michael Olszta said:

"...Yes, it is a "faith issue".  It appears that the textus receptus
camp has more faith than the recension theory crew.  They at least
believe the words they have in the text before them.  Kurt Aland, with
all his learning and skill, still can't make up his mind and I suspect
the same condition is to be found among those who follow him."

And in response:

It is not about faith -- but the work of the text critic can inform the
faithful.

Westcott and Hort's theories of TC are open to debate. Aland was not
speaking about abandoning these theories. On the contrary, further work
has largely confirmed the pioneering work of Westcott and Hort.
Modification of these theories continue as new evidence points to new
ideas. But the general theory is still regarded as trustworthy. This is
not to say the Westcott and Hort, Aland, et al., were right on all
points. And sometimes their polemical arguments makes them quotable to
their pundits! 

But by and large, this list follows the tradition of reasoned
ecclecticism. And exceptions abound. 

Michael L. Kennedy
Phoenix, AZ