Subject: tc-list Pasor's publications

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:10:38 -0500

Ron Minton wrote:

>I am looking for information on Georg Pasor (spelling uncertain).  I saw a
>note that he may have made a Greek/Latin N.T. about 1619.  Any sources or
>information will be appreciated.
>

I have asked over here and checked three on-line university library
catalogues.  The only thing George Pasor (this is the proper spelling;  his
name is sometimes Latinized to Georgius Pasorus, according to the
catalogues) seems to have published that the University of Leiden, the
Utrecht University, or the Free University in Amsterdam libraries have are
variuos editions (under slightly different titles) of a lexicon he did of
the LXX and NT, and some editions and lectures on Hesiod.  Because of the
date of publication, the titles are in Latin.  None of the libraries list
an edition of the NT;  the title of his best-known work is *Lexicon
Graeco-Latimum in Novum Testamentum...*  I suspect that someone confused
this with a bilingual edition of the NT...  Pasor's dates are 1570-1638,
and he was a Professor, as per the Leiden catalouge (where, it did not
stipulate;  I suspect in Leiden).  On such matters, it might be worth
checking Tregelles or Gregory for, as I recall (my books are back at Penn
State...), they have rather extensive descriptions of early editions.

>>> For the TC-list members in general:

Many major university libraries in Europe are on-line, and so their
catalogues (in some cases, complete catalogues) can be consulted by
computer.  Among those which I most often use are those of Utrecht
(Rijskuniversiteit te Utrecht:  <http://pablo.ubu.ruu.nl>;  virtually
complete), Leiden (Rijskuniversiteit Leiden:
<http://www.leidenuniv.nl/ub/bdub.htm>, and choose "Algemene Catalogus...";
some older stuff not on-line), and the Free University in Amsterdam (Vrije
Universiteit Amsterdam:  <http://www.ubvu.vu.nl/welcome.html>;  virtually
complete, but with smaller, newer holdings than the other two, although
very good in NT).  All three have more extensive holdings in NT and allied
areas than virtually any American library (e.g., the VU has 9 titles under
Pasor's name, Utrecht had 7, and Leiden 9;  at all three libraries,
virtually all of the titles were from the 17th century), and can be
accessed by the public with any web browser.  Utrecht and Leiden even let
you switch to English search screens, if you can't figure out the Dutch;
the VU may offer the same option (for Leiden and the VU, you go into a
Telnet session;  Utrecht lets you stay in a browser or do a Telnet
session--the choice is yours).  If you make use of these resources, you can
track down many bibliographic details on your own.  Leiden even gives a
"bio" page for each author (birth, death dates;  any other info).

I will see if I can track down any more info.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.