Subject: tc-list The end of Pasor

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:08:42 +0200

Following Scanlin's suggestion, I checked RLIN for Pasor.  It gives, in
essence, only the titles we have already mentioned:  various editions of a
Greek-Latin lexicon, a Greek grammar, some editions and notes on Hesiod,
and the (anonymous) NT glossed with Pasor's lexical aids.  (The title of
this last work is in Lincoln's post, and in my two "truncated" posts.)
RLIN does, however (*and bless the bibliographer who did this!*), tell us
that the edition mentioned by Lincoln is *not* from Pasor:  in a comment,
RLIN observes:  "A school edition reproducing the text of H. Estienne's
edition of 1576 with a few variations."  So now we know that this is
Estienne's Greek text, "cribbed" with Pasor's lexical helps (= "a school
edition").

The title (a 1640 Elzevir edition) of another work, given by Garnier is his
post yesterday, is just a lexicon.

I checked with my good friend and colleague, Prof. Henk Jan de Jonge, of
Leiden, who is an expert in this period of NT editions, and he informed me
that he too neither knows of a bilingual (or any other) NT edition by
Pasor, nor could he find any mention of one in the literature (which he
knows inside and out).  He did add that Pasor was Prof. of Greek in
Franeker (an old university in Friesland, no longer extant;  it ceased
operations in the early 1800s) from 1626-1637.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:19:58 -0600 (CST)

I have had difficulty in finding the birth and death dates of the
following people who are related to textual studies and translation issues
in a variety of ways.  I will appreciate any help from anyone and
I thank you ahead of time.

Daniel Heinsius
Ian Paisley
Rene Pache 
Augustin Merk
G.D. Kilpatrick
Marchant King
Harry A Sturz  (    -1989)
Edwin Palmer

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: Ronald Minton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:24:27 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, William L. Petersen wrote:
> and the (anonymous) NT glossed with Pasor's lexical aids....

Thank you Dr. Petersen and all who worked on the Pasor exersize.  I
understand that Pasor's Greek grammar was the best (in any language) to
that time.  Some have even called it the first advanced or scientific
Greek grammar.

---

From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:54:32 -0600 (CST)

Many thanks for the previous help on those pesky dates.
I am still looking for dates on these men:

Ian Paisley    -birth date needed-
Rene Pache 
Marchant King
Harry A Sturz  (    -1989)
Edwin Palmer