Subject: Re: tc-list t-c C. P. Thiede

From: Dexter Garnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 98 20:57:02 -0800

On 2/6/98 5:57 PM James R. Adair wrote:

>Are there any online arguments that support Thiede?  The only one I know
>of, and one that's worth reading, is by Jose O'Callaghan, "Un papiro
>revolucionario: 7Q5," which contains an interview with Father O'Callaghan
>on this and related subjects
>(http://ekeko.rcp.net.pe/IAL/vm/texts/ocal7q5.htm).

The following url will translate the interview at the url noted above 
into English:

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?

Also a short time back I purchased a pamphlet:

_Supplement to JBL 91 (1972) No. 2_

It contains in English:
1. _New Testament Papyri In Qumran Cave 7?_ Jose O'Callaghan - Rome
2. _Notes on The Papyri of Qumran Cave 7_ Carlo Martini - Rome

On the front cover is written the following brief introduction:

"(In view of the publicity given in various news media in the U.S.A.
to the matter contained in the acompanying articles, it has been decided
to make an English version of them available as a service to JBL readers.
The translation has been prepared from Jose O'Callaghan's Spanish article,
"?Papiros neotestamentarios en la cueva 7 de Qumran?" _Biblica_ 53 (1972)
91-100, and from Carlo Martini's Italian article, "Note sui papiri della
grotto 7 di Qumran," _ibid_., 101-4. Quotations in French and German in 
the
original have been left intact; one quotation in Latin has been given an
English translation. The translation of the two articles is the work of
William L. Holladay, of Andover Newton Theological School, Newton Centre,
Mass, 02159, to whom we are all grateful. Thanks are also due to the edi-
tor of _Biblica_ for the permission to circulate this translation of the 
two
articles.   -- Editor.)

I am not qualified to evaluate either article. However, both scholars (it 
seems
to me) make points that at least merit interest.

Regards,

Dexter Garnier