Subject: tc-list Gremlins on the 'net and Georg Pasor

From: [email-masked] (William L. Petersen)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:21:32 +0200

I give up:  there must be some error in my file, for it again truncated the
post, after my quotation of Lincoln's message.  Here (I hope) is what
should have followed after Lincoln's two records from the OCLC catagloue.
(Apologies to all for these partial posts...).

--Petersen.

------------  Remainder of post, twice lost in transmission ------------

One note, however, neither of these titles (the one's in Lincoln's post)
appears to be (1) a bilingual edition of the NT (Greek & Latin), and (2)
neither appears to be by Pasor.  If one reads the Latin, the title
indicates that they are (apparently anonymous) editions of the *Greek* New
Testament, "all" of whose "difficult" vocabulary/grammar was defined/parsed
in the margin *on the basis of* Pasor's Greek-Latin lexicon (whose title
was in my last post) by a certain "Karl Hoole."  In essence, Hoole
apparently took an edition of the Gk NT, and "glossed" its margins with
appropriate information from Pasor's lexicon and Pasor's grammar.  But
whose edition of the NT this is, is not stated.  The dates (1653 and 1674)
suggest that whoever did the edition(s), it was not Pasor, for he died in
1638.   Hoole may be the editor, or it may have been some earlier edition.

This new information, intersting as it is, has not unearthed a *bilingual*
edition (or *any* edition) of the NT *by* Pasor.  Once again, to the best I
have been able to determine, Pasor did *not* publish a bilingual edition of
the NT.

BTW, what is "OCLC" (I presume, "Online Catalogue, Library of Congress"?)?
Is it on the Web?    If so, what is its address?  TIA.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study.

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 11:16:25 -0600

>(Apologies to all for these partial posts...).

I think I can hazard a guess as to the cause of the problems. It appeared,
based on the posts as they appeared on my machine, that they used some
special characters not in the standard ASCII set. (E.g. I saw some
U-umlauts in the posts as they appeared on my machine, though they
would likely have shown up as something else on a PC or UNIX machine
that uses a different encoding set.)

Depending on the system, such special characters may be interpreted
as an "end of message" symbol. The result: A truncated message.
This isn't common, but it can happen. And scrambled messages
*are* common.

The solution is to stop using the special characters. (They won't
show up the same way on other people's machines anyway, so there
isn't much point in using them.)

The "safe" characters are the letters A-Z, a-z, the numbers 0-9,
the space, and the standard punctuation characters. Anything you
have to access in a special way -- e.g. by using ALT or CONTROL
or OPTION keys, or even curly quotation marks, is not standard ASCII,
and can cause problems.

I hope this helps.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

"The one thing we learn from history --
   is that no one ever learns from history."