Subject: RE: tc-list Hebrews

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 15:57:54 -0600

Jonathan,

The place to start would probably be William P. Hatch, "The Position of
Hebrews in the Canon of the New Testament," Harvard Theological Review
29 (1936) 133-151. Other works of interest would be:

Charles P. Anderson, "The Epistle to the Hebrews and the Pauline Letter
Collection," Harvard Theological Review 59 (1966) 429-438.

Kurt Aland, "Die Entstehung des Corpus Paulinum," Neutestamentliche
Entwuerfe (Munich: Kaiser, 1979) 302-350.

David Trobisch, Die Entstehung der Paulusbriefsammlung: Studien zu den
Anfaengen christlicher Publizistik (NTOA 10; Goettingen: Vandenhoeck and
Ruprecht, 1989).

Trobisch has another book out in which he argues for the theological
reading of the New Testament based on a canonical order. Although
unconvincing, it may give you ideas about how to approach the question.

David Trobisch, Die Endredaktion des Neuen Testaments (NTOA 31;
Goettingen: Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1996).

I would remind you, however, that there is no "current order" of NT
books, so others will certainly question your judgment that the
particular order you follow is theologically superior (should you come
to that conclusion). 

Curt Niccum

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jonathan Dixon [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Saturday, March 21, 1998 1:55 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	tc-list Hebrews

	Hello,

	I am doing an undergrad thesis on the Canonical placement of the
book of
	Hebrews and the plausible reasoning behind each of its
placements in the
	canon.  I'll also be looking at the interpretational effects of
each
	placement in an attempt to prove that the current location of
the book is
	the best location theologically.  the question that I have for
this mailing
	list is first of all (1) Can you reccomend and sources to me
that may be
	useful for my thesis?  and second (2)  Do you know of anyone
else who has
	done anyting similar to my topic before, and if so. how I can
get in
	contact with them.

	Thank you very much,
	In Christ,
	Jonathan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
	---
	If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he
ought to
	know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1
Cor. 8:2-3) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
	---
	Jonathan M. Dixon
	(Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

	A.K.A. Lord Toran, Dylan-J

	c/o Atlantic Baptist University
	Box 6004 Moncton, NB, Canada
	E1C 9L7

	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

	My Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
	My Online Bible Site:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

---

From: "Roderic L. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:37:52 -0500

I seem to recall a presentation by Moises Silva about 3 years ago at AAR/SBL
on the order of books in the Pauline Corpus.  You might try to contact him.
--Rod Mullen

At 03:54 PM 3/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am doing an undergrad thesis on the Canonical placement of the book of
>Hebrews and the plausible reasoning behind each of its placements in the
>canon.  I'll also be looking at the interpretational effects of each
>placement in an attempt to prove that the current location of the book is
>the best location theologically.  the question that I have for this mailing
>list is first of all (1) Can you reccomend and sources to me that may be
>useful for my thesis?  and second (2)  Do you know of anyone else who has
>done anyting similar to my topic before, and if so. how I can get in
>contact with them.
>
>Thank you very much,
>In Christ,
>Jonathan
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>---
>If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he ought to
>know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1 Cor. 8:2-3) 
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>---
>Jonathan M. Dixon
>My Online Bible Site:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:51:28 -0500

Hebrews - where in the canon?

A book on the order of the books in the New Covenant canon that gave me some
food for thought was - "Restoring the Original Bible" by Ernest L. Martin
even though I do not agree with everything he says, he does have some very
good ideas. You can find him on the web at www.askelm.com

in the name of the God and Father of Yeshua

Mark Gipe