Subject: Re: tc-list first church building

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Lun, 23 Mar 98 23:41:11 +0100

>> This is not a tc question but perhaps listers can help me answer it:
>> when and where was the first Christian church built (a question posed
>> by an attendant at my church)? The earliest I can find reference to
>> was on Sion in Jerusalem when Hadrian visited the city in 130
>> (Clemens Kopp, The Holy Places of the Gospels, p. 323). What the
>> questioner was asking for was a church not in someone's house but I
>> suppose that a building converted to a church would qualify.
>>    Vinton Dearing.

What about Dura-Europos in Syria? if I remember well, this brings us back 
in the early third century.

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Als liefde het antwoord is, kunt U dan misschien de vraag nog een keer 
stellen?"
_________________________________________________