Subject: tc-list Psalms

From: Jonathan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 01:50:19 -0400

Hi,

I'm also working on a paper for a class on the psalms about the psalm
titles.  I think that the editorship of the psalter was designed to have a
Davidic focus, and am trying to prove it.  Does anyone know of anyone who
has written about the editorship of the psalter?  I've read Wilson's thesis
on the topic and while I agree with his stance that the epilogue of the
psalter is not simply 150 but is actually 146-150, I don't agree with with
his conclusion that the psalm titles do not provide a Davidic focus.  I
think that they do.  Anyway, anyone who can provide other sources for this
paper will be greatly apreciated.

In Christ,
Jonathan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he ought to
know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1 Cor. 8:2-3) 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
Jonathan M. Dixon
(Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

A.K.A. Lord Toran, Dylan-J

c/o Atlantic Baptist University
Box 6004 Moncton, NB, Canada
E1C 9L7

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

My Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
My Online Bible Site:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Oxford)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 01:19:11 -0500

>paper will be greatly apreciated.

you may want to have a look at childs' "introduction to the ot as
scripture" (wilson's mentor).  if memory serves me correctly, he discusses
psalm superscriptions and their significance in his chapter on the psalter.
you may also want to have a look at james mays' "the lord reigns," which
discusses the "davidic focus" of the psalter.

jim oxford
phd candidate in nt
baylor university

---

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:59:46 -0600

Jonathan,

To which Psalter or editorship do you refer? Current Psalters vary in
number (cf. the English, Hebrew, Greek, and Syriac). Even the numbering
system in BHS differs (compare the chapters indicated with Roman
numerals with those marked by Hebrew letters). The ancient evidence
exhibits even more variation. For a Davidic focus in editing, you will
certainly want to look at "David's Compositions" in 11QPsa-a (col.
XXVII). Even here, however, a Davidic focus (or perhaps better,
"presence") is presumed. At least in the first few centuries before the
common era, the main issue appears to be the Psalter's relationship to
the two established categories of authoritative writings, the Law and
the Prophets, and not some connection to king David. "David's
Compositions" and exegesis at Qumran and in the New Testament attest
close ties to the Prophets. On the other hand, it is likely that Psalm 1
was an early appendage to connect the Psalter with the Torah. (Note the
variation in Acts 13:33 which changes "second Psalm" to "first Psalm."
Although it is possible that some mss may have considered the first two
Psalms as one, since there is a distinct change in tone and context, it
is more likely that there were still some Psalters circulating, whether
Hebrew or Greek, without our Psalm 1.) Refining your question might help
others on the tc-list direct you to more useful sources.

Curt Niccum

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jonathan Dixon [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Tuesday, March 24, 1998 11:50 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	tc-list Psalms

	Hi,

	I'm also working on a paper for a class on the psalms about the
psalm
	titles.  I think that the editorship of the psalter was designed
to have a
	Davidic focus, and am trying to prove it.  Does anyone know of
anyone who
	has written about the editorship of the psalter?  I've read
Wilson's thesis
	on the topic and while I agree with his stance that the epilogue
of the
	psalter is not simply 150 but is actually 146-150, I don't agree
with with
	his conclusion that the psalm titles do not provide a Davidic
focus.  I
	think that they do.  Anyway, anyone who can provide other
sources for this
	paper will be greatly apreciated.

	In Christ,
	Jonathan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
	---
	If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he
ought to
	know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1
Cor. 8:2-3) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
	---
	Jonathan M. Dixon
	(Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

	My Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
	My Online Bible Site:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----