Subject: tc-list Hebrews

From: Jonathan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 15:54:35 -0400

Hello,

I am doing an undergrad thesis on the Canonical placement of the book of
Hebrews and the plausible reasoning behind each of its placements in the
canon.  I'll also be looking at the interpretational effects of each
placement in an attempt to prove that the current location of the book is
the best location theologically.  the question that I have for this mailing
list is first of all (1) Can you reccomend and sources to me that may be
useful for my thesis?  and second (2)  Do you know of anyone else who has
done anyting similar to my topic before, and if so. how I can get in
contact with them.

Thank you very much,
In Christ,
Jonathan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he ought to
know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1 Cor. 8:2-3) 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
Jonathan M. Dixon
(Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

A.K.A. Lord Toran, Dylan-J

c/o Atlantic Baptist University
Box 6004 Moncton, NB, Canada
E1C 9L7

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

My Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
My Online Bible Site:  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Burkenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:19:21 -0600

> done anyting similar to my topic before, and if so. how I can get in

Use Bruce Metzger's _The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development,
and Significance_. It has quite a section on Hebrews. It just came out in
paperback as well, but it may be difficult to find in a bookstore. My copy was
backordered since Xmas and I only recently acquired it. Try your local seminary
library. Also, you might try Raymond E. Brown's _An Introduction to the New
Testament_. It MAY be of help. I don't know.

Good luck. You've picked quite an interesting project. I'd like to see what your
conclusions are.
May I have  a copy when you're finished?

sincerely,
Burke Gerstenschlager

--
"I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning.
        - Stephen Dedalus _A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_

---

From: [email-masked] (James J. Cate)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:43:04 -0800

Jonathan,

Since Hebrews tended to circulate in the midst of the Pauline Corpus (cf.
P46), you may want to consult studies on the Pauline Corpus. The
following articles discuss the order of the Pauline Corpus (and  thus
Hebrews) in early mss:

Charles H. Buck, Jr. "The Early Order of the Pauline Corpus" *JBL* 68
(1949): 351-57.

Jerome D. Quinn, "P46--The Pauline Canon?" *CBQ* 36 (1974): 379.

There are more recent studies on the Pauline Corpus, but I don't have the
bibliographic info handy at the moment. These articles have good
information despite being dated.

Jeff Cate, Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. of Christian Studies
California Baptist College

>done anyting similar to my topic before, and if so. how I can get in

_____________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]