Subject: Re: tc-list First church bu

From: Mike Parsons <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:16:28 -0500

Reply to:   RE>>tc-list First church building(s)

the oldest EXTANT identifiably christian  building, of course, is the one at
dura-europas (c. 250s c.e.). it was a domus ecclesiae, a private residence
converted for christian worship (had an assembly hall, baptistery, etc.).
michael white has done interesting work on the movement from the house church to
the domus ecclesiae to post-constantinian christian architecture (ie. old st.
peter's).  the only connection i can think of in relation to tc is that a
fragment of tatian's diatessaron was evidently found in the vicinity of the
christian chapel at dura!  
mikeal parsons

--------------------------------------
Date: 3/24/98 10:31 AM
To: Mike Parsons
From: [email-masked].
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, William L. Petersen wrote:
> Just a quick comment on an interesting reading in I Cor. 14:34-35.  Note
> that there is a strict distinction made between "EKKLHSIA" and "OIKOS."  In
> fact, the words are here used in precisely (apparently) the way we would:
> "be silent *in church*, and if you have questions, ask them *at home*."
> This distinction between the "church" and the "home" seems to preclude the
> period of "house/home churches";  rather, it seems to reflect the
> understanding of a time when the "church" was a distinct place (and not a
> "home/house"), where people went for services;  the "home/house" was
> elsewhere.

I found your note very interesting and thought incourageing.  They clearly
met in houses (1 Cor.16:19 and Rom 16:23 indicates many house churches,
otherwise, there is no need to mention "the whole church") and there were
likely very many of them (Acts 18:11), but they often seem to have met in
a sort of area or city or what I call a geographical use of ekklesia ,for
communion, special gatherings, etc. (14:23).  We also read "When ye come
together therefore into one place." (11:20) and vs 22 "have ye not houses
to eat and to drink in"?
Now let me see, how is this related to tc again?  Oh yes, is tou kuriou in
11:27 as in Aleph correct, or de we follow P46 B A C and the TR?

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:26:19 -0600 (CST)
From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: tc-list First church building(s)
Sender: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]

---

From: Burkenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:33:00 -0600

> christian chapel at dura!

Having studied under Dr. White, I would say that his work and Wayne Meeks (his
advisor) would be of the best sources in which to examine. He's good. Trust me on
this.

Burke Gerstenschlager

--
"I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning.
        - Stephen Dedalus _A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_