Subject: tc-list Hebrews 6:2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:16:09 -0500

Martin Luther's German translation of Hebrews 6:2 has "Von der Taufe",
which I believe has "baptisim" as singular.  NA26 has "BAPTISMWN DIDAXHS"
which is plural.  Every English translation at hand (about 6) also has it
as plural.

The question:
Is there a textual variant which changed the reading between the time of
Luther's translation (1534, using Erasmus' 2nd, 1519 edition) and later
Greek texts?  Or did Luther, perhaps, have some theological preference for
the singular?

Bret R. Rolan P.E.
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:41:59 -0500

>Greek texts?  Or did Luther, perhaps, have some theological preference for

The latter.  Luther's translation of the plural as singular was driven by
his defense of infant baptism.

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Petros TN

[email-masked]