Subject: tc-list Locating a reading in Lectionary 866

From: "Mark and Wendy Proctor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 16:43:26 -0600

A few weeks ago I sent a message to the group requesting some information on Lectionary 866.  From the help I received at that time I was able to locate and borrow a microfilm copy of this text through the Ancient Biblical Manuscripts Center in Berkely, CA.  Now I have a whole new set of problems.

First, I need some help in locating the reading I need within the Lectionary.  The readings in question are Mark 1:40-45 (the cleansing of the leper story) and the Synoptic parallels in Matt 8:1-4 and Luke 5:12-16.  Lectionary 866 is a 12th century MS that is a total of 286 pages long.  It is listed in the apparatus of the UBSGNT4 for the variant at Mark 1:41, and therein lies my interest in this particular text.  Since my paleographical skills are next to non-existant, and since I am not familiar with the layout of lectionary texts such as this one, I thought I would make my plea for help to the TC discussion group.  I called a local Greek Orthodox Church and inquired about when Mark 1:40-45 fell in their lectionary schedule only to learn that the Lukan account was the only version of this story that they still read.  The priest said that Luke 5:12-16 is read during the second week of Lukan readings on a Tuesday.  Is this accurate, or is there some difference in the lectionary system of the 12th and 20th centuries?  I assumed this system was fairly old and well-established, but perhaps I am wrong.  I feel as if I'm rambling a bit, so I'll list my needs below:

1.  I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels in Lectionary 866.
2.  Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century lectionary texts.  Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be quite welcome.
3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS, would the parallel accounts also be there?
4.  Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?  He is the person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the apparatus of the UBSGNT4.  The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh selection of manuscripts and completely new collations."  This suggests to me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.  Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

Well, that's enough for now.  Please help me if you can.

Sincerely,

Mark Proctor

---

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Lun, 2 Mar 98 00:05:19 +0100

>1.  I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels 
Judging from the Syropalestinian and Arabic lectionaries on which I'm 
working, the pericope which you are searching should be included in your 
lectionary.

Aland TNT has a chpater on the lectionaries (p. 160 of the English 
edition) in which the general structure of the Byzantine lectionary is 
shortly presented.

The edition of the Syropalestinian lectionary (Lewis-Gibson) has a table 
of the readings. This should help you locate your passage by the 
comparison with your Greek manuscript. It can take you some time, but I 
am confident that you will find it!

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Als liefde het antwoord is, kunt U dan misschien de vraag nog een keer 
stellen?"
_________________________________________________

---

From: "Richard D. Weis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:23:59 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

Mark Proctor inquires:

> 4.  Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the =
> Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki? 

Have you asked the ABMC in Claremont (not Berkeley), from which you 
got the microfilm, about contact information for Prof. 
Karavidopoulos?  If I'm not mistaken, they have carried on 
conversations with the institute in Thessaloniki.

Regards,
Richard Weis
*******************************************************************************
Richard D. Weis                                          [email-masked]
New Brunswick Theological Seminary        phone: 1-732-246-5613
17 Seminary Place                                       FAX: 1-732-249-5412
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
*******************************************************************************

---

From: "Mark and Wendy Proctor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:05:08 -0600

I was able to locate Prof. Karavidopoulos' e-mail address on the U. of
Thessaloniki's home page.  Hope he replies soon since I only have the
microfilm copy of Lectionary 866 until the 13th of this month.  I have
looked at the Aland's intro text, but its discussion of the Byzantine
lectionary system is somewhat sketchy (as one might expect in a work of this
nature).  I'll follow the other hints and do my best.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Mark

---

From: "Roderic L. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 07:32:21 -0500

Most microfilm readers have the capability to make paper copies, so even if
you have to return the microfilm you could have a copy of the pertinent
section. --rlm

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:17:43 -0500

>2.  Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century
>lectionary texts.  Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be
>quite welcome.
>3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS,
>would the parallel accounts also be there?
>4.  Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
>Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?  He is the
>person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the
>apparatus of the UBSGNT4.  The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the
>lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh
>selection of manuscripts and completely new collations."  This suggests to
>me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.
>Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

If you have to deal with NT lectionaries, it is very handy to have the
lectionary books currently in use in the Greek Orthodox Church available. I
bought an Apostolos and Gospel lectionary in Thessaloniki, but you probably
can also order it from the church publisher: Apostoliki Diakonia (address:
Iasiou 1, 11521 Athens).

The text contained in these editions is basically Byzantine. Antioniadis,
who was mainly responsible for this work conducted under the auspices of
the Patriarchate of Constantinople, relied in the first place on lectionary
MSS (in the places where no lections are read, continuous-text MSS were of
course used). An enlightening publication of Yannis Karavidopoulos is 'L'
Edition patriarcale du Nouveau Testament (1904)' in Kleronomia XX (1988):
195-204.

The current Greek NT lectionaries are of course only the final stage of a
liturgical development of many centuries. From my own experience, however,
I know that especially in the most stable part of a lectionary, the
synaxarion (dependent on the Easter-cycle), has not has changed much during
the last 1000 years (the Menologion, with its feasts and saints, is more
dependent on the fashion of the day). It is probably indicative that the
study I use most is only available in Bulgarian. It is written by B.D.
Tchiflianof and tries to reconstruct the services translated in the 9th
century by SS. Cyril and Methodius into Old Slavic (I will try to find out
about the Greek translation that was being planned).

With the caveat regarding the liturgical development in mind, here follow
the days on which the appropriate lections are read:

Mark 1:35-44  Saturday of the second week in Great Lent (Nhsteiwn)
Luke 5:12-16 Tuesday of the second week of Lukan lections (after Matthean
lections)
Matt 7:24-29 & 8:1-4: Saturday of the third week of Matthean lections.

Good luck!

Michael Bakker

Dr H.P.S. Bakker

Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS)
Meijboomlaan 1
2242 PR Wassenaar
The Netherlands
tel.: +31 70 512 2700
fax: +31 70 511 7162

Slavic Seminar
University of Amsterdam
Spuistraat 210
1012 VT Amsterdam