Subject: tc-list Lk 16.19 in D and old syriac ?

From: Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Dim, 8 Mar 98 01:15:59 +0100

I don't understand what I see in the apparatus of NA27 about this 
passage. According to NA27, there's a short addition at the beginning of 
the verse (EIPEN DE KAI ETERAN PARABOLHN) which is supported by D and 
syc. The curetonian Syriac is put between parentheses, which probably 
means that there's a small difference with the Greek text cited from D.

Now here's my problem: when I look at Metzger EVNT p. 37 (and at my 
Syriac editions!), I see that the curetonian manuscript doesn't contain 
this text, neither do the additional folios discovered later (the one 
closest to our text stops at 16.12).

My question then is twofold: (1) which is the source for the inclusion of 
syc in the apparatus of NA, and (2) what is its text?

Origin of the question: I just discovered the same variant in one of my 
Arabic manuscripts - so this would be one of the rare instances where it 
has a variant that is distinctively Western.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as this relates to my thesis!

Thank you,

Jean V.

_________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail: [email-masked]
_________________________________________________
"Als liefde het antwoord is, kunt U dan misschien de vraag nog een keer 
stellen?"
_________________________________________________

---

From: Ronald Minton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 21:26:50 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I am interested in reading some recent theses or doctoral dissertations
(in English and from the 1990s) that deal with textual criticism and/or
translation issues.  I recently read dissertations by James A. Price and
Timothy J. Ralston.  Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.
--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

---

From: "j.g. van der tak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:05:28 +0100

>Timothy J. Ralston.  Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

I suggest you read:

M. Bakker, Towards a Critical Edition of the Old Slavic New Testament,
Diss. Amsterdam 1996.

This book has been reviewed on this list and you'll find it in its
archives. Bakker has a lot of real critical remarks on textual criticism,
and they are not limited to the Slavic version of the NT.

An other book you could turn to, but dealing more with translations and in
a less critical tone, is:

S.C. Munger, Russian New Testaments, a comparative study, Diss Amsterdam
(VU = Free University), 1966.

Johannes G. van der Tak

Johannes G. van der Tak
Slavic Seminar, University of Amsterdam
Spuistraat 210,
1012 VT Amsterdam/NL
Tel.: (+31) 20 525 38 11/Fax: (+31) 20 525 3052
Private: Icaruslaan 18,
NL 1185 JM Amstelveen
Tel/fax: (+31) 20 641 45 28
E-mail: [email-masked]