Subject: Re: tc-list First church bu

From: "Roderic L. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 21:49:34 -0500

For literary evidence of church buildings, you might want to look at the
comments in Adolf Harnack, MISSION AND EXPANSION OF CHRISTIANITY, (ET,
1908).  Check the entry "Buildings, church" in the general index to vol. 2
of the english translation.  Harnack said (bear in mind he said this in
1908, but he repeated it in the German edition of 1924) that there is no
indication for buildings built as churches or modified to serve as churches
before the time of Emperor Commodus, who began to reign in 180 C.E. --Rod Mullen

At 11:16 AM 3/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>        Reply to:   RE>>tc-list First church building(s)
>
>the oldest EXTANT identifiably christian  building, of course, is the one at
>dura-europas (c. 250s c.e.). it was a domus ecclesiae, a private residence
>converted for christian worship (had an assembly hall, baptistery, etc.).
>michael white has done interesting work on the movement from the house
church to
>the domus ecclesiae to post-constantinian christian architecture (ie. old st.
>peter's).  the only connection i can think of in relation to tc is that a
>fragment of tatian's diatessaron was evidently found in the vicinity of the
>christian chapel at dura!  
>mikeal parsons
>
>--------------------------------------
>Date: 3/24/98 10:31 AM
>To: Mike Parsons
>From: [email-masked].
>On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, William L. Petersen wrote:
>> Just a quick comment on an interesting reading in I Cor. 14:34-35.  Note
>> that there is a strict distinction made between "EKKLHSIA" and "OIKOS."  In
>> fact, the words are here used in precisely (apparently) the way we would:
>> "be silent *in church*, and if you have questions, ask them *at home*."
>> This distinction between the "church" and the "home" seems to preclude the
>> period of "house/home churches";  rather, it seems to reflect the
>> understanding of a time when the "church" was a distinct place (and not a
>> "home/house"), where people went for services;  the "home/house" was
>> elsewhere.
>
>I found your note very interesting and thought incourageing.  They clearly
>met in houses (1 Cor.16:19 and Rom 16:23 indicates many house churches,
>otherwise, there is no need to mention "the whole church") and there were
>likely very many of them (Acts 18:11), but they often seem to have met in
>a sort of area or city or what I call a geographical use of ekklesia ,for
>communion, special gatherings, etc. (14:23).  We also read "When ye come
>together therefore into one place." (11:20) and vs 22 "have ye not houses
>to eat and to drink in"?
>Now let me see, how is this related to tc again?  Oh yes, is tou kuriou in
>11:27 as in Aleph correct, or de we follow P46 B A C and the TR?
>
>--
>Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581
>Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
>
>
>------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------
>Received: by QMGatewy.baylor.edu with SMTP;24 Mar 1998 10:29:18 -0500
>Received: from gabriel.cc.emory.edu by baylor.edu (PMDF V5.1-10 #27028)
> with ESMTP id <[email-masked]> for
> [email-masked]; Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:28:56 CST
>Received: from shemesh.scholar.emory.edu
> (shemesh.scholar.emory.edu [170.140.130.65])
> by gabriel.cc.emory.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id LAA16858; Tue,
> 24 Mar 1998 11:28:03 -0500 (EST)
>Received: by shemesh.scholar.emory.edu (SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4) id LAA05569; Tue,
> 24 Mar 1998 11:18:54 -0500
>Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:26:19 -0600 (CST)
>From: "Ronald L. Minton" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: tc-list First church building(s)
>In-reply-to: <v01510101b13d16b5799a@[192.87.136.213]>
>Sender: [email-masked]
>X-Sender: rminton@orionc0
>To: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Message-id: <Pine.GSO.3.96.980324095221.7330D-100000@orionc0>
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>Precedence: bulk
>
>
>