Subject: tc-list First church building(s)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:23:52 -0500

WLPeterson wrote:

[Begin Snip]
Just a quick comment on an interesting reading in I Cor. 14:34-35.  Note
that there is a strict distinction made between "EKKLHSIA" and "OIKOS."  In
fact, the words are here used in precisely (apparently) the way we would:
"be silent *in church*, and if you have questions, ask them *at home*."
This distinction between the "church" and the "home" seems to preclude the
period of "house/home churches";  rather, it seems to reflect the
understanding of a time when the "church" was a distinct place (and not a
"home/house"), where people went for services;  the "home/house" was
elsewhere.
[End Snip]

>From my experience, (attending Old Order Amish church services, which are
always in members homes),  "in church" in no way requires a church house.
The distinction is as natural to them as it is to those that worship is
dedicated buildings.

Bret R. Rolan
[email-masked]

---

From: Juan Stam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:10:18 -0600 (CST)

This makes sense to me. I understand EN EKKLESIA in Paul's early epistles as
"in assembly" during your meetings, with no reference to the building. Cf
Barth, Leuba (INSTITUTION & EVENT) etc
    Juan Stam, Costa Rica