Subject: tc-list Job 4:11 LXX

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:22:38 -0500

Dear list:

It is very hard to tell what kind of animal was MYRMHKOLEWN.
This is how I proceed in similar cases. I hope it will be of some 
help.

There are several compounds of this kind in Greek. For example, 
KAMHLOPARDALH means "giraffe" or STROYTHOKAMHLO means 
ostrich, or LEOPARDALH which is obviously leopard. (H KAMHLA is 
the camel, the adjective O PARDALOS means motley, mottled, spotted, 
pied, varicolored, TO STROYTHION is the sparrow). The most famous 
compound is probably HIPPOPOTAMOS - horse of the river.

>From here one can get the logic behind the compounds in Greek. The 
compound represents a species which has something from one and 
something from the other term in the compound.

Most of these compounds represent "exotic" animals (of course what 
Greeks considered exotic), or animals that the Greeks rarely saw 
around in their homeland.

What is MYRMHKOLEWN ant+ leon, however, I do not know.

Best wishes!

Alexander

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 09:40:27 -0600

> What is MYRMHKOLEWN ant+ leon, however, I do not know.

	An ant lion is a predatory insect that is indigenous to
finr sandy areas.  the larva 'scoops' out a bowl shaped crater in the
sand and buries itself just below the surface at the bottom.
When an ant, or other insect, falls in the crater, the ant lion
emerges with it's huge mandibles and grabs the insect.  The adult
looks very much like a dragonfly.  The family is Myrmeleontidae.

Jack

D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon ([email-masked])    

 http://scriptorium.accesscomm.net