Subject: tc-list Philo's use of the LXX

From: "Steve Carson-Rowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:01:59 +1000

Can anyone tell me which text type Philo Judaeus used. I have 'The Works of
Philo; Complete and Unabridged'  tr. C.D. Yonge, and Philo makes reference
to the LXX (the letter of Aristeas story) in 'On the life of Moses II'.
However, the editor of the volume makes no mention of the text type that
Philo used.

Thanks.

Steve Carson-Rowland
Queensland - Land of Eternal Summer

---

From: "Steve Carson-Rowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:30:04 +1000

STEVE CR wrote:

SEPPO SIPILA
All I can say right now is that on his study "Philo's  Bible" (Cambridge
University Press 1950) Peter  Katz (Walters) argued that during the
transmission of Philo's works the biblical citations were changed to
correspond the "later" form of the LXX, mainly the Lucianic text. If he is
correct, we do not have the "text type Philo Judaeus used" in his extant
works any more.
[snip]
STEVE CR
My question was a little more basic to begin with.. I wanted to know, did
Philo use the LXX or the MT? I'm assuming the LXX, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks,

Steve Carson-Rowland