Subject: tc-list Shabat Shalom

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:20:50 -0500

Well, fellow TCers, today is a Shabat haGadol, just as it
was 1,968 years ago.  We will continue to research and discuss the
historical Jesus, putting him, like a specimen, under the microscope
of historical analysis.  We will never really know why this one
special person...perhaps the most special of all persons...captured
so fully the minds and imaginations of so many at a time of so
many crossroads, and the hostility of so many.  He came from a
small obscure satellite village in the hills of the Galilee and
left leaving, more than anyone in history, an indelible mark on
all the billions who would make up the future.  He taught a
message so profound and so true that very few of those billions,
if any, could live up to it, even those who championed his
cause and rang his name to future generations.  Was he the
*Son of God?*  I don't know..with all my books, reading,
thinking, historical analysis, linguistic and textual
research...I don't know.  The only thing that I do know is
that if he was the example of his messages, he certainly
was the "Sonnest" of God compared to all who would follow
him.  As the meteor crater in Arizona bears witness to an
object that struck the earth but has disappeared, the
event we celebrate tommorow, just like that impact crater in
the dust of the desert, bears witness that *something*
extremely unusual happened following that Pesach so
long ago.
        We will continue to discuss it, to dissect it, to
analyze it from many disciplinary approaches.  We will
continue to lift the historical person from the cacaphony
of myths and legend, removing the miracles and dogmas...
but I wonder if when the historical Jesus, that Y'shua
bar Yosef, stands before us, stripped of his his
ecclesiastical raiment, we will not find that person
himself...as Walt Whitman would say..."Miracle enough
to stagger sextillions of infidels."

Happy Easter all

Jack

-- 
D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon ([email-masked])    

 http://scriptorium.accesscomm.net