Subject: Re: tc-list Text families of the 2nd Century CE

From: PMoore4733 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:19:08 EDT

"...Most scholars date the emergence of the 'Western' text to the mid-second
century, or shortly thereafter, but they also, as Martini has put it, 'leave
the door open to an appreciation of the presence of particular readings in
which D or other "Western" witnesses perhaps preserved the most ancient
reading.'

Note the footnote:  "On the distinction bertween orignial and secondary
'Western' readings, see G. Zuntz's wide-ranging discussion, "On the Wester
Text of the Acts of the Aspostles"

Taken From  pg. 293  "The Text Of The New Testament...."  Third edition 
by Metzger.

Paul James Moore
ThD, New Testament Greek
Midwestern State University, Continuting Education

---

From: DC PARKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:13:52 -0400

I suggest that you start with the collection of papers 'Gospel 
Traditions in the Second Century', ed. W.L. Petersen, Univ. of Notre 
Dame Press, 1989.

DC PARKER
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]