Subject: Re: tc-list Syriac hunger strike (off-topic)

From: "Dr Johann Cook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:25:10 GMT+0200

> Subject:       tc-list Syriac hunger strike (off-topic)
> Date:          Mar, 28 Avr 98 20:00:49 +0200
> From:          Jean VALENTIN <[email-masked]>
> To:            "Liste TC-List" <[email-masked]>
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]

> I am sorry to post something off-topic, but I thought that some of you 
> who study Syriac culture could be interested about knowing this.
> 
> As you know, I live in Brussels (Belgium), precisely in the area where 
> Assyrian and Syriac people are living. Some of them have begun a hunger 
> strike in the church that is a few hundred meters from here, where also 
> the Chaldean community celebrates the liturgy on sundays. This hunger 
> strike, to say it in their words, is "to blame the 1915 genocide against 
> the Assyrian-Syriac people", as they have put it on a banner in front of 
> the church. 
> 
> If you want to express any encouragement and solidarity to them, just 
> feel free to send an e-mail that I will print and bring to the church 
> where they are staying. Also, if you know other people that might want to 
> do the same, feel free to give them my e-mail address so that they can 
> send their message to them through me.
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Jean VALENTIN - Brussels - Belgium
> e-mail: [email-masked]

Dear Jean 

I am responsible for the teaching of Aramaic and Syriac in our 
department. I would like to express my solidarity with the group of 
Syriac people mentioned by you. On a humanitarian level it is simply 
correct that we should identify with this people; they have suffered 
tremendously in the past. Academically it is of course wonderful that 
there are still groups of people living today where ancient cultures 
and languages are still in use!! 

So, in the name of the department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies at 
the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, I sympathise and 
identify with the honourable cause addressed by the Assyrian and 
Syriac grouping in Brussels. 

With kind regards 

Prof. Johann Cook 
Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
University of Stellenbosch
7600 Stellenbosch
SOUTH AFRICA 
tel 22-21-8083207
fax: 22-21-8083480

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:47:00 -0500

The b-aramaic list is now up.  Those interested
in Aramaic studies can join by sending e-mail to 
[email-masked] with the first line "su6scribe
b-aramaic" (without the quotes, subject and replace the
"6" with a "b").

Jack

-- 
D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon ([email-masked])    

 http://www.historian.net