Subject: tc-list Job 4:11 LXX

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:10:10 -7000

I received the following question and have no idea what the answer 
is.  Does anyone have any insight as to why the translator apparently 
coined this word?  I haven't even been able to find it in LSJ.

>    Do you have an explanation as to why, in Job 4:11, the LXX has a
>marginal rendering of "ant-lion" for the Hebrew word for "lion"?

All I can find out is that the word does indeed mean "ant-lion."  The 
question is, what's an "ant-lion" and why did LXX use that term here?
Thanks,
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Scholarese, n. A dialect that consists entirely of 
multiverbal circumlocutions and polysyllabic verbiages.

---

From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 00:12:22 +0000

>question is, what's an "ant-lion" and why did LXX use that term here?

There are three citations in Lampe [ 889a] for patristic use of 
MURMHKOLEWN
including one from the commentary on Job 4:11 of Olympiodorus Alexandrinus.

Also a  ref. to Germanus I of Constantinople

Regards,
Maurice