Subject: Re: tc-list Quote by Bruce Metzger

From: PMoore4733 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:46:23 EDT

Check out TEKTON's page at
http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_TOC.html
They are withholding the article to check the references on Gregory Neal's
article "On 7Q5 and the Magdalen Papyri."   This article gave several Metzger
sources in reference to the Magdalen Papyrus.  As I recall, some were yet to
be published monographs, I assume  which were given at SBL events. 

Paul

---

From: Steven Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:08:39 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, PMoore4733 <[email-masked]>
writes
>be published monographs, I assume  which were given at SBL events. 

The article has now been restored to the Web page listed above.
Presumably, the author and the owner of the Web site are sure it is
genuine. It seems incredible to me that Professor Metzger would say such
things.

---

From: Carlton Winbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 19:19:10 +0400

Steven Carr wrote,

>genuine. It seems incredible to me that Professor Metzger would say such

I just (7:16, 12/May/98) tried to access this page again and was told that
it was still being with held in order to check the accuracy of the quotes.
I still wait to convinced that Metzger actually made the comments
attributed to him.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 06:17:39 +0100

Carlton Winbery <[email-masked]> writes

>>genuine.

>I still wait to convinced that Metzger actually made the comments

I had forgotten that the article was still on my Internet Service
Provider's cache, which only gets updated every couple of hours or so. I
was picking up an old version of the page.

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:21:42 -0400 (EDT)

I wrote to the SBL executive office to see if they were familiar with the
article cited as: Metzger, "P64+67 and the Governmental letters of
Herculaneum: A Critique of the 1996 Thiede Analysis," 1997 Monograph
before SBL, pp 38-39.  They were not aware of the article or of the book
which supposedly contains it, either in print or in production (and
Scholars Press, which publishes most SBL books, is not aware of any such
book either).  If the quote is genuine, certainly the author of the Web
page should supply an accurate book title.

Jimmy Adair
Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
    and
Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
-------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------