Subject: Re: tc-list Ja 2:22

From: "Dierk Vandenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:25:32 +0200

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jim West <[email-masked]>
An: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Datum: Samstag, 23. Mai 1998 20:55
Betreff: tc-list Ja 2:22

>Talk about external evidence that is nearly perfectly divided- here is a
>prime example. In Ja 2:22 do you think we have "sunhrgei" or "sunergei"?
>It seems to me more likely that the present would be changed to the
>imperfect rather than that the imperfect would be changed to the present.
>Nevertheless, NA 27 prints "sunhrgei" as the most likely reading.
Metzger's
>Textual commentary does not discuss this- nor is it listed in Aland's TC
manual.
>
>Any help would be appreciated- though I myself think the present is the
more
>likely reading.

I don't subscribe to this point of view, for "sunhrgei" indicates the
relation of the past active faith and works of Abraham and the attainable
perfection of faith by works (passive Aorist).

Regards,
Dierk

Dierk

---

From: PMoore4733 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 09:40:53 EDT

In a message dated 98-05-23 14:55:52 EDT, you write:

<<  In Ja 2:22 do you think we have "sunhrgei" or "sunergei"?
 It seems to me more likely that the present would be changed to the
 imperfect rather than that the imperfect would be changed to the present. >>

Certainly, the writer looking back at Abraham, in the past called for
imperfect tense--easy correction,   you raised a good point.

Supporting idea:  as Burton noted in the Historical Present:  " The Present
Indicative is used to describe vividly a past event in the presence of which
the speaker conceives himself to be."  i.e.  "do you not see that faith is
working...."

Paul

---

From: "Bernard A. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:40:09 -0400

> perfection of faith by works (passive Aorist).

That being the case, what is your best guess as to why the change took place?

Regards,

Bernard Taylor