Subject: tc-list Comments on Concordances

From: "Peter R. Burton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 98 10:54:07 -0500

Anyone interested in submitting views on concordances under any of the three 
headings below or others?

- Already published:

1. Book Concordances
    perhaps just comments supplementary to the latest edition of J.A. Fitzmyer's
<<An Introductory Bibliography for the Study of Scripture>>.

2. Electronic Databases and Concordancing Software.

- Desired (new) features of concordances for research:

3. Concordance Desiderata
    perhaps the most helpful of these three.

A helpful report for the electronic journal associated with this list could be 
built from members' comments. The flexibility of electronic publishing could be 
used to link the report to sites demonstrating the use, or indicating the 
features, of various concordances.  What do you think, Jimmy?

=========
Re: tc-list Concordances:

The out of print Eerdmans analytical concordance of the RSV was very well 
conceived and presented.  The coming NRSV concordance should also prove to be, 
but I suspect it will be a little more difficult to achieve the same clarity 
because of the differences in translation methods between the RSV and the NRSV.

NIV concordance one of the best?
The problems of creating single English word based concordances of dynamic 
equivalence translations and correlating the English words to underlying Hebrew 
and Greek words are exemplified in the NIV concordance.  It is also quite 
difficult to understand why a number of the Hebrew roots were assigned as they 
were in the NIV concordance list.

For those with good library access or secondhand sources:
<<The Eerdmans Analytical Concordance to the Revised Standard Version of the 
Bible>>
compiled by Richard E. Whitaker 
1988, William B. Eerdmans

Peter Burton
[email-masked]

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

> features, of various concordances.  What do you think, Jimmy?

If someone wants to put together a Web page that demonstrates the pros and
cons of various concordances, I'll be glad to put a link to it from the TC
Links page (or even host the page, if that's a better solution).

Jimmy Adair
General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
-------------------> http://purl.org/TC <--------------------

---

From: Ralph Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 19:20:48 -0700

I just received a Closeout Sale list from Christian Book Distributors. They
still have copies of the out-of-print NRSV Concordance, Unabridged, by John
R. Kohlenberger III. The price for this $39.99 book is only $7.95. It has
1650 pages. but does not contain Hebrew and Greek indexes; it indexes only
the English words of the NRSV. To order, phone 1-978-977-5000.

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 May 1998 14:47:04 -0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> the out-of-print NRSV Concordance, Unabridged, by John
> R. Kohlenberger III. The price for this $39.99 book is only $7.95. 

The price listed in their WWW page was US$6.95 plus shipping,
which is the price they allowed me over the telephone.

Vincent Broman

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 May 1998 14:47:04 -0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Vincent Broman