Subject: Re: tc-list Ja 2:22

From: "Dierk Vandenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:35:53 +0200

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bernard A. Taylor <[email-masked]>
An: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Datum: Dienstag, 26. Mai 1998 22:40
Betreff: Re: tc-list Ja 2:22

>Dierk Vandenberg wrote:
>
>> I don't subscribe to this point of view, for "sunhrgei" indicates the
>> relation of the past active faith and works of Abraham and the attainable
>> perfection of faith by works (passive Aorist).
>
>That being the case, what is your best guess as to why the change took
place?
>Regards,
>Bernard Taylor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Covenant of Abraham is in the Christian point of view not an
intermediate but an ultimate (present) stage,  therefore - since the days of
the canonization of Paul's letters and the Hellenistic Q-sayings 'til
today - the "true sons of Abraham" are obliged to prefer the present instead
of the original imperfect in their "works"-exegesis of the above mentioned
passage of Jak, for in the son the father is still present and
retrospectively seen likewise unique, even if it's only spiritual son- or
adopted fathership within a philosophical (or political) system of "good
works" instead of "Torah-works".
Today its to late to grumble about facts like Rumpelstiltskin, but finally
we should realize Einstein's axiom of relativity: system-immanent truth
always depends on the viewer's point of view.

Regards,
Dierk

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:11:41 -0500

>always depends on the viewer's point of view.

Wait a minute! Hold on! Yes, Isaac,* they're at it again.

This is *not* what Einstein said, and (grumble, mutter, gnash)
those who do not understand relativity should not be quoting it!

Einstein did not say that observations (observations, be it noted,
not "truth" -- whatever that is) depends on the "viewer's point of view."
The results of the measurements depend on the viewer's *Frame of
Reference.* It's not the same thing. The frame of reference is
the environment in which the viewer stands. It has certain
characteristics measured against the rest of the universe. None
of these are under the control of the observer.

Still, any data taken from that frame of reference will be repeatable
(except as affected by the uncertainty principle, etc.).

So, please, folks, don't say "everything is relative," or "everything
depends on the viewer's point of view," or any such nonsense. Because
that's what it is. Nonsense.

Back to your regularly scheduled lives.

* That's Isaac Newton, for those not in the know. A physicist who --
unlike Einstein -- actually believed in his data.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)