Subject: Re: tc-list MS e at Mark 1:41--Thanks!

From: "Mark and Wendy Proctor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:35:02 -0500

Thanks to everyone for the help.  The layout of the Julicher-Aland edition
is unfamiliar to me, and I was only working with a photocopy of p 9, so you
can see how I got a bit confused.  Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Mark Proctor
-----Original Message-----
From: William L. Petersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 2:25 AM
Subject: tc-list MS e at Mark 1:41

Mark Proctor wrote:

>I need some help with an OL text.  UBSGNT4 lists the OL MS e (Codex
>Palatinus) as a witness for "splagchnistheis" at Mark 1:41, but the
>Julicher-Aland edition of the Itala for Mark's Gospel surprisingly has no
>information about e's text of this verse.  If someone out there knows
>where to find the complete reading of e for Mark 1:41, please forward that
>info to me.  What would probably be easiest is if you could give me the
>reading itself, but please be sure not to make any transcriptional errors
>and also let me know where you got your information.  Once again, I need
>the text of the entire verse.

The apparatus of UBS4--while displaying the problems associated with not
reproducing versional evidence in the original language--is correct.  And
the reading stands clearly in my copy of Jülicher-Aland (2nd revised
edition of 1970), p. 9, at verse 41.

Jülicher's apparatus gives the "Itala" family on the top of two lines, with
variations in this family cascading below it.  The reading of the "Afra"
family is on the bottom line:   in this verse, "e" is the only "Afra" MS.
The arrangement can be clearly seen on the facing page, p. 8, in verse 39,
where the top line is the "Itala," and the bottom line is the "Afra."

Following Jülicher-Aland, then (1970 2nd ed., p. 9), the reading of v. 41
is:

Et *misericordia actus* extendens manum suam et tetigit eum et dixit illi:
Volo, mundare.

Note that the apparatus of UBS fails to distinguish between "misertus
[est]" of aur c f l q Vg, and "misericordia actus" of e.

--Petersen, Penn State University,
Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.