Subject: tc-list Coptic fonts

From: "Thomas J. Kraus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:51:45 +0200

Hello everybody,
while I´m working on some textual variants in Coptic, I´ve got 
problems with processing Coptic letters. Does anybody have (reliable) 
Coptic fonts for copying them into my Windows95 directory, or know 
where to get them from? As far as I know the most appropriate file 
format would be *.ttf.
Apart from that: does anybody have a "warm" suggestion for further 
readings on the Coptic versions and their relevance for textual 
criticism?
Thanks (in advance),

Thomas
Universität Regensburg
Kath.-theol. Fakultät
Universitätsstr. 31
D-93053 Regensburg

Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
[email-masked]

---

From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:15:55 +0100

>where to get them from? As far as I know the most appropriate file 

Using AltaVista search engine, with the two terms +coptic +fonts,
yielded me 667 hits.
A useful one is :  http://www.remnkemi.com/fonts/ 
which is a summary of a search previously done.

It dates from Dec. 97, and as the first ten 'hits' show there are later
messages from such as Mark Goodacre's ' A World without Q' site [
http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q~debate.htm ]

Incidentally, there is available for free d/l on this TC site the SPAchmim
font, but as the author notes "This font is similar to Windows Symbol font
with  added Coptic letters. The problem with this font is that it is
missing a few letters. As you can see on the left, the "V" is missing. It
is a Sahidic font."

I have a commercial CD-ROM from SSi Fonts [http://www.ssifonts.com/] which
includes a Coptic font.

Enjoy!
Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[ Bray, Ireland ]
[email-masked]

Confucius said: "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study
is dangerous."
Analects 2:15

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

There are several Coptic fonts available for free download from Web or FTP
sites, including the SPAchmim font.  The author of the page at
http://www.remnkemi.com/fonts mischaracterizes SPAchmim by calling it a
Sahidic font.  In addition to the regular Sahidic characters, it includes
two Bohairic forms of chai and one Achmimic form.  He states, "The problem
with this font is that it is missing a few letters. As you can see on the
left, the 'V' is missing."  There are no missing letters that I'm aware
of, but I didn't create separate large versions of the letters to use as
capitals, since the forms are really not any different (so also with the
Greek uncial font SPDoric).  If you want to use larger forms of the
letters, the way to do it is to use <FONT SIZE=+2> in your HTML document. 
It might be useful in a future version of the font to include separate
larger versions of each letter. 

Jimmy Adair
General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
-------------------> http://purl.org/TC <--------------------