Subject: tc-list Re: KJV

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:05:21 -0400

Anyone doing serious study of the textual base and translation technique of
the KJV now has a new edition of _The Translators to the Reader: The
original preface of the King James Version of 1611 revisited_, edited by
Erroll Rhodes and Liana Lupas (American Bible Society, 1997).  I hesitate
to promote our own publications, but I believe this is an especially
valuable resource at a good price, $5.95 (order number 106022).  The little
volume includes a facsimile reprint of the 1611 preface, a transcription
into modern type with the source of  virtually all of the quotations and
allusions identified, with English translations, and a "modern form" of the
preface.

On the ancient versions and textual notes:  ". . . variety of translations
is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures:  so
diversity of signification and sense in the margin, where the text is not
so clear, must needs do good; yea, is necessary, as we are persuaded."

On concordant translation:  "Reasons inducing us not to stand curiously
upon an identity of phrasing. . . .  For is the kingdom of God become words
and syllables?  Why should we be in bondage to them, if we may be free? use
one [word] precisely, when we may use another no less fit as commodiously?"

To be sure, the KJV translators defended the importance of basing their
translation on the Hebrew and Greek.   Their primary purpose for this
strenuous defense was to argue for the  use of the original texts, but this
did not prevent them from using the versions, several good examples of
which have already been given in this discussion thread.

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY 10023
[email-masked]