Subject: tc-list Re: KJ or not KJ

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:58:54 -0400

Dearing properly reminds us that 16th and 17th century books contain
variants within what we today would consider the same edition/printing. 
Some TC readers may not be aware of the fact that a book, especially one
the size of a Bible required much more movable type than any one print shop
had at hand.  As a result, typesetting shops would frequently run off a
quantity of sheets for part of a book, then break down the type and use it
for the next section of the book.  If the publisher used several shops or
increased the press run in midstream sets of sheets from presumably the
same edition could thus exhibit variants.

I don't know, either, of anyone who has applied the Hinman collator to the
early issues of the KJV.  This would be a worthwhile project.  Until then,
however, we do have a useful resource in FAH Scrivener's _The authorized
edition of the English Bible (1611), its subsequent reprints and modern
representatives_  (Cambridge, first ed. 1884; third edition 1910, though I
don't think there are any substantive changes).  His Appendix A offers a
"List of wrong readings of the Bible of 1611 amended in later editions,"
and Appendix B, "Variations between the two issues, both bearing the date
1611."

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]

---

From: Ronald Minton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:59:27 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Today I recived a post asking for the difference between the 1769 4th
edition KJV and the 1850 correction attempt.  I know about the 1769, but
little about the 1850.  I do not have any books with me, but I believe
the 1850 was an American Bible Society effort.  It was reviewed
negatively in the Presbyterian, etc. as I recall, and the ABS did little
with it.  Does anyone have access to the basic background of this 1850
attempt to correct the KJV?

--
Prof. Ron Minton: [email-masked]   W (417)268-6053  H 833-9581