Subject: tc-list 1 Cor 14.34-35

From: "Perry L. Stepp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:17:26 -0400

Curt--

I hate to presume on you, but I am (at the moment) far from any library that
could help me.

I'm preparing for prelims, specifically a critical intro question on any of
the Pauline epistles.  While looking over the interpolation theories germane
to 1 Cor, I remembered your article in NTS (regarding the interpolation
theory at 14.34-35).  I remember being impressed with your argument.
Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was.  Can you briefly (one
paragraph, I don't want to presume on your time any more than that) sketch
it for me?

Hope all is well for you.  I'm taking preliminary exams in a month.  I've
been working on dissertation with Charles Talbert since early 1997.  I will
likely be writing on the Pastorals (as a letter collection) functioning as a
succession document--see the material Talbert and I published (are
publishing?) in the 1998 SBL Seminar Papers to get an idea of the kind of
work I've been doing.

Perry L. Stepp

*****************************************************************
Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan
Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

It is tremendous folly to put trashy people in positions
of trust and conspicuousness.

                       --George Will, 6 August 1998

*****************************************************************

---

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:02:00 -0500

Perry,

Good to hear from you. I wish you all the best on your prelims.

My argument concerning 1 Cor 14:34-35 addresses only the issue of
external evidence. In previous work (most notably by Fee) it has been
argued that: 1) the verses in question are found after v. 33 or after v.
40 in the ms tradition, 2) the ms tradition is split between "Western"
and "Eastern" witnesses (sometimes with the corollary that this division
is of equal antiquity and/or text critical weight), and 3) the most
likely explanation of this split is an original, now no longer extant ms
lacking vv. 34-35 (although Payne keeps finding clues to this text in
very strange places). In my article I accept that 1) is correct. There
is absolutely no ms, versional, or patristic evidence that 14:34-35 was
ever lacking in any copy of 1 Corinthians. I further argue with respect
to 2) that the "Western"/"Eastern" split is too simplistic and that the
corollary is absolutely false. The vast majority of witnesses, mostly
"Eastern" but some "Western," have vv. 34-35 in their traditional order.
Only a few witnesses, mostly "Western" but a few "Eastern," have them
after v. 40. When one actually examines these later witnesses, however,
one finds that they all have some direct or indirect connection to
Northern Italy and all postdate A.D. 350. This suggests, then, that the
split is not even, is not of equal antiquity, and is certainly not of
equal weight. In effect what we have is a "local text" preserved among
some of the "Western" witnesses. The most likely explanation then can
not be an original lacking those verses. Since the transposition can not
be accidental either, the verses must have been moved for other reasons.
It is my guess that the purpose was theological and my tentative
conjecture that it is related to the blossoming monastic movement among
Western women in the 4th century.

I hope this helps. I type it quickly in between typing on my
dissertation.

Your work with Talbert sounds very interesting. I look forward to
learning more about it. Sometime you can fill me in with happened to
your original plans. If I remember correctly, it was going to be
Johannine studies with Culpepper.

Curt

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Perry L. Stepp [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Thursday, August 06, 1998 1:17 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	tc-list 1 Cor 14.34-35

	Curt--

	I hate to presume on you, but I am (at the moment) far from any
library that
	could help me.

	I'm preparing for prelims, specifically a critical intro
question on any of
	the Pauline epistles.  While looking over the interpolation
theories germane
	to 1 Cor, I remembered your article in NTS (regarding the
interpolation
	theory at 14.34-35).  I remember being impressed with your
argument.
	Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was.  Can you
briefly (one
	paragraph, I don't want to presume on your time any more than
that) sketch
	it for me?

	Hope all is well for you.  I'm taking preliminary exams in a
month.  I've
	been working on dissertation with Charles Talbert since early
1997.  I will
	likely be writing on the Pastorals (as a letter collection)
functioning as a
	succession document--see the material Talbert and I published
(are
	publishing?) in the 1998 SBL Seminar Papers to get an idea of
the kind of
	work I've been doing.

	Perry L. Stepp

---

From: "Dr. Michael Patrick O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 21:21:16 -0400

Dear Perry L. Stepp

Here is a totally unsolicited comment.  I am in OT and Hebrew and therefore
should not be commenting on matters relating to the NT, but I would like to
say that it seems to that the work of my friend, the late Jerome Quinn, on
the pastorals has been mightily neglected.

Michael Patrick O'Connor
Department of Semitics
Catholic University of America
Washington, D.C. 20064
202 319 5083
home: 8357 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301 585 6908
email: [email-masked]

-