Subject: tc-list Vaticanus Divisions in Paul

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 08:49:39 -0500

TCers --

I was just idly considering the chapter divisions in Paul -- or rather,
the divisions in Vaticanus -- when something occurred to me.

As most of you probably know, there is a numbering scheme in Vaticanus
which is continuous, running through Romans, Corinthians, Galatians,
Hebrews (yes, after Galatians), and on through to 2 Thessalonians.
Presumably it continued through the Pastorals and Philemon, but
of course these books are lost.

Now here is the thought: There are 93 sections in the surviving
sections of Vaticanus. The surviving portions (if, for these purposes,
we count all of Hebrews as surviving) constitute just about 90%
of the length of Paul (based on number of verses, anyway).

So: Is it possible that the divisions in Vaticanus were designed
to segment Paul into 100 sections? This seems like the sort of
thing a non-mathematician would do (a mathematician, of course,
would never use such a difficult number as 100; it's not divisible
by 3 or 6 or 8 or 12 or 16 or.... :-)

Thoughts? Also, has anyone ever suggested this before? Or have
I finally managed to have an original idea? :-)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)