Subject: tc-list Assistant Technical Editor Position

From: George Kiraz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:16:38 -0400

*************************************************
* Please reply to [email-masked] *
* Apologies for multiple postings!              *
*************************************************

==============================================
Assistant Technical Editor Position (Voluntary)
Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
===============================================

The Syriac Computing Institute, a non-profit institution, is seeking a
motivated person to fill the position of Assistant Technical Editor for
its
journal "Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies". This academic periodical is
peer-reviewed and is published semiannually (in January and July). It is
free and can be accessed at:

   Home Page: http://www.acad.cua.edu/syrcom/Hugoye/  
              (Catholic University of America)
   Mirror Page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/gk105/syrcom/Hugoye/
              (University of Cambridge, U.K.)

The editorial board members of Hugoye (as well as the staff of the
Syriac
Computing Institute) operate on voluntary basis. The candidate will be
acknowledged in all electronic and printed versions of the journal.

Tasks: 
------ 
The Assistant Technical Editor will work closely with the Technical
Editor,
Dr. Thomas Joseph. Tasks include preparing web pages (in HTML) from
electronic submissions, as well as preparing camera-ready copy for hard
copy publications, proof-reading articles, checking bibliography entries
and reference, and ensuring that the documents are well presented and
conform to the standards of the journal. The work load is approximatly
50
hours per issue (two issues per year).

Requirements: 
------------- 
Knowledge of word processing is required. Candidates who have no prior
knowledge of HTML (the language used to format Web pages) must be
willing
to learn (it is not difficult -- see below). Candidates must have access
to
email and the Internet. Knowledge of Syriac is a plus, but is not
required.

I would like to help, but...
----------------------------

*** I would like to help, but I don't know HTML! 

The language is not hard. For example, to write the word "book" in
italic,
your write
     "<I>book</I>"
The first "<I>" is the italic command; its counterpart command "</I>"
ends
the italic. In a similar fashion, the following word appears in bold:
   "<B>book</B>" 
where "<B>" is the bold command. The Technical Editor will work with
your
on this.

*** I would like to help, but I have limited time! This position
requires
dedicated work, especially towards deadlines (January and July of each
year). If you don't have the time, this position is not for you. Each
issue
requires a rough estimate of 50 hours from the Assistiant Technical
Editor.

Applications:
-------------

Please write to George Kiraz ([email-masked]). Include a
short CV (resume) and a list of previous editorial work.

-- 
                           \_\_\_\_\_\_\_  George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
\_\_\_            \_\_\_\_  \_    \_      Language Modeling Research
     \_                  \_  \_    \_              Bell Laboratories
      \_                  \_  \_    \_           Lucent Technologies
  \_   \_\_\_  \_\_\_\_\_\_\_  \_    \_                  Room 2D-446
            \_  \_                                 700 Mountain Ave.
             \_  \_                            Murray Hill, NJ 07974
              \_  \_                            Tel. +1 908 582 4074
               \_  \_                           Fax. +1 908 582 3306
                \_\_\_          email: [email-masked]