Subject: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

From: "Mark Goodacre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 23:33:02 GMT

K. C. Hanson has set up a "Catalogue of New Testament Papyri & Codices 2nd - 
10th Centuries".  It looks good and has links to other resources.  It can be 
found at:

http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson/papyri.html

Mark Goodacre
-------------------------------------------
Dr Mark Goodacre     mailto:[email-masked]
 Dept. of Theology              Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
 University of Birmingham     Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
 Birmingham  B15 2TT
 United Kingdom

Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:26:37 -0500

>10th Centuries".  It looks good and has links to other resources.  It can be 

People should be warned, though, that it takes *forever* to load. You
can tell the site owner is an academic with unlimited connect time. It
really should have been broken up into smaller units. Also, the "Aleph"
symbol is wrong (that one is an HTML glitch, and may not occur on
your particular machine) -- if you see an "is not a subset" symbol,
that's supposed to be an Aleph.

The part that bugged me the most, though, was the way the papyri were
classified. I would regard this as completely untrustworthy (P47
agrees with A and C more than Aleph?).

This is not to say that it is not a nice site. It *is* a good
catalog, and being on the web, it can be kept more current
than the KListe or the NA editions. I also like the other ancient
documents it provides access to.

But take those textual classifications with a grain of salt.
Or six....

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 07:22:28 -0700

> http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson/papyri.html

I have to agree with Bob Waltz: this page is much too large.  I 
contacted Prof. Hanson about it, telling him that I took the 
liberty of dividing it up and offering to send the results to him. 
Here is his response:
--
 Thanks for your note.  I am leaving on a business trip, but I will
try to attend to it late next week.  Thanks for the offer to send it to me,
but I can break it up without much hassle.
--

So hopefully, it will soon be in a form that is more manageable for 
those of us who pay by the hour for our Net connections.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
When in doubt, go for chocolate.  Life is too short
not to.