Subject: Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 22:14:53 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/98 5:33:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

<< f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
 browser cache, >>

Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it!   ?????

Paul James Moore
______________
ThD New Testament Greek
Midwestern State University (CE)
Wichita Falls, Texas

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:49:51 -0500

>Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it!   ?????

Well, maybe your standard of "fast" differs from mine. To me, a page
is fast if it loads in ten seconds or less. (Yes, that means that the
majority of pages out there are slow. :-) Given that the page as I
loaded it included a 137K graphic, it *cannot* load in ten seconds,
unless you have a T1 line or the like.

Still, if you're satisfied, that's fine. You must have a better
local phone network than we do here in Minnesota. It took me about
five minutes to load the page.

But, again and again, I urge my main point: Don't trust the
classification of the papyri. As an online catalog, it's
wonderful; Munster should have done this years ago. But the
textual determinations are unreliable.

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

"The one thing we learn from history --
   is that no one ever learns from history."