Subject: Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:36:40 EDT

I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH).  I
have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds!  I have only about 20 meg. on
board memory.  America Online is my provider.....

I think the site is great......

Paul Moore

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:23:23 -0500

>board memory.  America Online is my provider.....

What are you looking for, praise or sympathy?

If the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
browser cache, *then* see how fast it loads. Your computer has very
little to do with the loading speed. The controlling factor, in all
but the most unusual cases (e.g. java), is how fast you can receive the
data. If you have a fast modem and a good connection, it will load
quickly. But the whole problem of the Internet is that people frequently
can't get good connections. I can't, and I'm actually in the same state
as the site.

If it works for you, that's fine. The point is, its design philosophy
*will* make it difficult for some people to use. Especially those
whose internet connections take a long path to it (typical examples
are those who are overseas, or those whose suppliers don't have
enough bandwidth because their local phone company insists on
using its cables for its own use. I fall into the latter category,
I believe.)

>I think the site is great......

For the most part, so do I; the fact that it takes forever is not
relevant to that. I merely pointed it out for those who do have
slow connections. But my basic problem lies with the textual
classification of the papyri. I don't expect the catalogue compilers to
read what I've done :-), but they could at least read Zuntz....

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)