Subject: Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 16:27:07 -0400

At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
>and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy."  Any
>help is appreciated.

9:3?  Cuz there is no "lo" to be seen, either in the text or in the apparatus.

>
>Prof. Ron Minton
>[email-masked]   (417)833-9581
>5379 North Farm Road 179
>Springfield, MO 65803
>
>
>
++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: Rodney Hutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 18:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

The Hebrew of Isaiah 9:2 (= 9:3 in English) does have a peculiar text,
reading something like:
	"You have multiplied the nation (haggoi). NOT! (lo').  You have
increased the joy." The editor suggests reading "You have multiplied the
rejoicing (haggilah), you have increased the joy." LXX reads "The major
part of the nation which you (m.s.) have brought down (kategages) in your
rejoicing." I cannot suggest withouth Hatch and Redpath how LXX derived
its reading from either the MT or the editor's proposed reading.  I can
see why the BHS editor suggests taking haggoi lo as haggila, but LXX
supports the reading of haggoi.  If a textual change were made from
haggilah to haggoi, it would have had to have occured prior to the
translation into Greek.  I'd have to check in Hatch and Redpath to see
what words possibly lie behind katago ("bring down, lead down") to see
what the translator might have been seeing.  But I'll leave this to folks
with more time. 

> >[email-masked]   (417)833-9581

_______________________________________________________________________
Rod Hutton				||	Disclaimer, Datclaimer!
Columbus, Ohio				||	What's all dis about a
<[email-masked]>	||	Claimer?