Subject: tc-list Syriac NT translation

From: "George Kiraz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:32:22 -0400

I came across the following work at amazon.com (www.amazon.com):
   Author: Herb Jahn
   Title: The Aramaic New Covenant
   Description: "This rendering of the New Testament by Herb Jahn claims to
be the only literal translation/transliteration made from the original
Aramaic, the variant of the Hebrew language spoken by Jesus and His
disciples."
    ISBN: 0963195166

Does anyone know of this work? Would it be a translation of the Syriac
Peshitta?

Thanks

George Kiraz

-----
George Anton Kiraz
Language Modeling Research
Bell Laboratories
Lucent Technologies
Room 2D-513
700 Mountain Avenue
Murray Hill, NJ 07974
Tel. +1 908 582 4074
Fax. +1 908 582 3306
[email-masked]

---

From: James Trimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:45:47 -0500

George,

	Yes I know all about it.  Originally Mr. Jahn hired me to do the
translation.  We signed the contracts and all went well for about three
months.  Three months into the nine month project Jahn violated our
contract and quit paying me (although I had kept my end of the contract).
It seems that Jahn had obtained the Way Intl. Interlinear edition and
decided he could use that to produce his version.  Jahn himself does not
know a word of Aramaic.

	Jahn's previous project, the exoGesis study bible provides his translation
from the Heb. O.T. and Greek N.T..  Jahn does not know Hebrwew or Greek but
looked up EVERY word in a Strong's and made sure that each word was always
translated with the same english word (regardless of context).  Jahn had
also heard that Hebrew has no tenses so he put the ENTIRE OT portion in the
present tense.  

	There is absolutely no scholarship behind Jahn's material.  And you
(Kiraz) are WAY out of his league.

	Hope this helps.

>[email-masked]
James Trimm
==============================================
He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
and having found he will be amazed,        
and having been amazed he will reign,      
and having reigned he will rest.           
 - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews   
==============================================
The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
http://www.nazarene.net
==============================================
E-mail discusion groups:  Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the 
New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.  
Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
==============================================
Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm