Subject: tc-list Marya' = YHVH ?

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:47:59 -0700

A few days ago there were some posts on this list by Rolf Furuli and James
Trimm  

On the Aramaic word " Marya’ "  being = to "YHVH" as stated in a number of
Aramaic / Syriac Lexicons. 

The "Syriac English Dictionary " by Payne Smith states on page 298 ( I have
a very old copy ) 
under    " Mara’ "    
 "…….Mara’ and Marya’ the latter form is used only of the LORD God and in
the Peshitta Version of the O.T. represents the Tetragrammaton."

Let’s take a look at this statement. 
The following is a list of verses from the Peshitta 
where the Syriac / Aramaic word " Marya’ " occurs compared with the Hebrew
and the Greek

Gen 2:4 

Sy =  marya’ ‘alaha’

MT= YHVH Elohim

LXX= kurios ho theos

Gen 15:2 

Sy = marya’ ‘alaha’

MT = adonai YHVH

LXX = despota kurie

Jer 1:6

Sy = marya’ ‘alaha’

MT = adonai YHVH

LXX = despota kurie

Eze 2:4 

Sy = marya’ merutha’ 

MT = adonai YHVH

LXX = kurios ( only )

Amos 1:8 

Sy = marya’ merutha’ 

MT = adonai YHVH

LXX = kurios ( only )

Micah 1:2 

Sy = mara’ merutha’ ………marya’

MT = adonai YHVH…….adonai

LXX = kurios kurios kurios
some = kurios ho theos kurios

Mal 3:1 

Sy = marya’

MT = haadon

LXX = kupios

IN THE NEW COVENANT WE FIND THE FOLLOWING

Matt 1:22

SyS,C,P,H = marya’

Hebrew of Shem Tov = the letter "He" standing for the Divine Name.

Hebrew of "du Tillet" = YYY standing for the Divine Name

Hebrew of "Munster" = YHVH

Greek = kuriou

Luke 2:11

SyS & SyP = marya’ meshicha’

Greek = xristos kurios

No old Hebrew versions 

Phil 2:11

SyP = demarya’ hu yeshua’ meshicha’

Greek = oti kurios iesous xristos

No old Hebrew versions 

Luke 17:5 

SyS = yeshua’

SyC&P = Maran

SyH = Marya’

>From this short study I do not see a consistent pattern of Marya’ = YHVH in
the Tanach, even though it is mainly true it is not always true.

And I do not think Luke 2:11 should read "a Savior who is messiah YHVH" as
this does not make any sense. Even the Aramaic Scriptures Research Society’s
"The New Covenant Aramaic Peshitta Text with Hebrew Translation" translates
Marya in Luke 2:11 as "haadon".

Even though I would like to say someone has found the missing key as to
where the Divine Name might have been in the NT, I think it is still missing.

Mark Gipe