Subject: Re: tc-list Yeshua ossuary

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:02:21 +0000

At 12:02 PM 9/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>
>Do you meab "dozens of ossuaries" with the name Yeshua, or just dozens of
>ossuaries in general?

Dozens in general.  Sorry for the ambiguity.  Just one with "Yeshua"- so
whos bones could they be??????

:)

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology
[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Washburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:01:21 -0600

> whos bones could they be??????

Jimmy Hoffa?

---

From: Rolf Furuli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:20:12 +0200

Dear list-members,

In Codex Ambrosianus from the sixth or seventh century do we find "marya"
("the Lord") in the text where we in the Hebrew text find YHWH. In the
marigin, however,  do we find "hehe", which possibly goes back to a LXX
manuscript with the tetragrammaton in old Hebrew characters ( similar to
8HevXIIgr). In the London Codex British Museum Add.14.442 do we find
"marya" in the text. In the marigin do we find  "pipi", which possibly goes
back to a LXX manuscript with the tetragrammaton in square Hebrew script
(similar to P. Fouad 266).

Questions:

(1) Do we find any other form than "pipi" and "hehe" in the marigin of a
Syriac Bible manuscript?
(2) Do we find any Syriac Bible manuscript with a form of the
tetragrammaton in the very text and not only in the marigin?
(3) Do we find forms of the tetragrammaton resembling "pipi" and "hehe" in
any Coptic, Arabic or Armenian Bible manuscript?

Regards
Rolf Furuli
Lecturer in Semitic languages
University of Oslo
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:39:08 -0500

>> whos bones could they be??????

LOL....

I imagine the researchers have already been through this, but if we're
looking for "establishment" people named Yeshua, how about the High
Priests? There was a Yeshua son of Phiabi who was High Priest until
about 23 B.C.E. (and lived until some time after that; Ant.
XV.ix.3), and a Yeshua son of See early in Archelaus's reign
(Ant XVII.xiii.1); shortly before the Jewish Revolt, we have a
Yeshua son of Damnaeus (Ant XX.ix.3f.) and a Yeshua son of
Gamaliel (Ant XX.ix.4, 7, BJ IV.v.2).

For what it's worth.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:20:25 +000

As background for the question (the names found on Palestinian Jewish 
ossuaries), see Margaret Williams, "Palestinian Jewish Personal Names in 
Acts," in Richard Bauckham (ed.), _The Book of Acts in its First Century 
Setting. Vol. 4:  Palestinian Setting_ (Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 1995), 79-
114, which gives archaeological evidence for the use of these names.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:21:07 -0500

> whos bones could they be??????

As I recall from the press release for this ossuary, it also
contained the bones of a Yosef and a Miryam.  Haven't seen the
archaeological report though.

Jack
-- 
______________________________________________

Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]

http://www.historian.net

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:15:01 +000

> archaeological report though.

I don't recall seeing a press release. According to Jack Finegan's list of names 
found on Dominus Flevit ossuariaries, the names "Yosef" and "Miryam" do not 
appear on the Yeshua ossuary but on other ones:  Yeshua on # 93; Yosef on 
#75; Miryam on #27.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:36:35 -0700

You know how these reports are, Dr. Hurtado...by the time I got
a "report" it was obviously embellished.  Sam Lamerson posted that
Wright covered this in one of his books.  It is interesting though.
Do you have a Journal citation for the official excavator's report?
What was the time period?

Jack

---

From: Rodney Hutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 07:15:57 -0400 (EDT)

Quick question from one who does not follow such things closely.  I've
seen references here to both the Akeldama ossuaries and to some at Dominus
Flevit.  Since I associate the name Dominus Flevit with the site by that
name on the Mount of Olives and Akeldama with the find near the junction
of the Kidron and Hinnom Valleys on the west side of the valley, are we
speaking of the same finds or of two different collections of ossuaries? 
Thanks.
Rod Hutton

> E-mail:  [email-masked]

_______________________________________________________________________
Rod Hutton				||	Disclaimer, Datclaimer!
Columbus, Ohio				||	What's all dis about a
<[email-masked]>	||	Claimer?

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:47:28 +000

There are several ossuary finds (see, e.g., Jack Finegan, _The ARcheology of 
the NT_ (rev. ed.; Princeton, 1992), 359-74:
--Ossuaries on the Mount of Offence (southeast of Jerusalem, near road to 
Bethany)
--the Talpioth ossuaries (south suburb of Jerusalem)
--the Dominus Flevit ossuaries.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place