Subject: Re: tc-list Yeshua ossuary

From: Sam Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:45:51 -0400

>Does anyone know where I might find of photograph of the 1st century
ossuary
>with the name of "Yeshua" written on it ( in Hebrew ) which I have read
>about in a number of books stating that it was found in Jerusalem?
>
>Mark Gipe
>

Do you mean the ossuary with the name "Yehochanan" written on it? If this is
the one that you are referring to, I have never seen a picture of the
ossuary, but I have seen the heel bone with the steel peg through it... both
online and on TV. You may do a search over at the PBS site
 http://www.pbs.org ?) in their Frontline section. They had a full spread on
Jesus studies for their Easter special, _From Jesus to Christ_. I haven't
been by there in quite some time, but it was very extensive.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a 1st century ossuary
found with the name Yeshua on it, and would be VERY surprised if there has
been. Wouldn't the uproar be tremendous if there were?
--
Sincerely,
Sam Gibson

e-mail [email-masked]
web site http://www.dclink.com/cygnus6

-------------------------------------------------------
"You might have lived a good life as an exemplary Christian,
only to be met at the gates of Heaven by Mohammed.
That's called fate."
-Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist from Rush

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:00:31 +000

The name "Yeshua" does occur on an ossuary from the Dominus Flevit 
cemetary on the Mount of Olives.  See Jack Finegan, _The Archeology of the 
New Testament:  The Life of Jesus & the Beginnings of the Early Church_ (rev. 
ed.; Princeton:  Princeton Univ Press, 1992), pp. 366-74, for descriptions of the 
finds and for further refs to scholarly literature.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]