Subject: Re: tc-list Greek O.T. "editiones quinta et sexta"

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:23:24 -0700

I know this is not what you are asking about, but for photos of the Hexapla see
"Psalterii Hexapli Reliqviae"  by Iohannis Card. Mercati printed in 1958. I
have some copies of the book about 75 pages of so but not the whole thing. I
know a library about 20 miles from where I live that has it. 

Also note other post for more data.

Mark Gipe

At 11:00 AM 9/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear TCers:
>
>I am needing to find information on what became known as the "editio 
>quinta" and the "editio sexta."  Origen's Hexapla had 4 Greek 
>versions - LXX, Symmachus, Aquila and Theodotion.  In addition, for 
>certain sections, including the Psalms,  he had a fifth and sixth 
>(7th and 8th columns in his edition).  I have discovered a little 
>about their origin, but am especially interested in their 
>circulation. 
>
>Were editions of these versions available outside 
>Caesarea where ORigin's Hexapla lay.  I have seen it said that the 
>Tetrapla (the 4 Greek versions mentioned above) circulated separately 
>from the Hexapla.  Also, that the Hexapla as a whole never 
>circulated, i.e. that Jerome had to have copies of parts made as 
>needed or had to go to Caesarea to consult the whole.  
>
>The point of my research is to try to nail down at what periods of 
>his life Jerome might have had access to the quinta and sexta, i.e. 
>only during his Bethlehem years, or perhaps during his stay at 
>Antioch, Constantinople and/or Rome.
>
>Any help or thoughts or references where to look further would be 
>appreciated.
>
>Glen L. thompson
>Martin Luther College
>
>