Subject: tc-list Review of Landon (1996)

From: Charles Landon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:53:16 -0700 (PDT)

Sonnenstr. 76
89077 Ulm
Germany

Friday 18 1998

To: all TC Members
From: Charles Landon  <[email-masked]>

I am writing in response to the review of my book by J.R. Adair which
appeared in TC (1997). I have written a more detailed rebuttal to
Professor Adair which he may circulate if he wishes. The only part of
my response to him which directly concerns other members is here
displayed for all to read. 

I have three regrets about the book: (1) there are quite a few units
at which I have provided no transcriptional argumentation, (2) against
my earlier judgement, I agree with Adair that the pleonastic humas at
Jd. 5 is the best reading at this unit, and (3) I omitted to mention
in my introduction that American scholars have also contributed to our
understanding of the history of the text (after 200 AD). Otherwise the
other decisions are consistent with the method employed, and I would
contend that the ending of Jude in P72 is yet another piece of text
which will upset the neat and tidy theories of Alexandrian
supremacists, to be added to the many examples documented by Professor
Elliott and others of non-Alexandrian readings of early origin which
are internally superior to the Alexandrian alternatives in each case.

I have reason to suspect that several professors in the EU and at
least one in N. America are not communicating with me for Pythonesque
reasons. I can take a joke, but would merely like to point out that
exclusion is a risky form of humour. 
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com