Subject: Re: tc-list Semitic NT Project

From: "Rev. Craig R. Harmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:11:07 -0400

> 
> THE SEMITIC NEW TESTAMENT PROJECT 

<SNIP>

Some of the features of the Semitic NT version will be:

* Religiously neutral language ("immerse" not "baptize";

I wonder, given the intensity of the debates between "Immersion only" Church bodies and those which recognize both immersion and sprinkling/pouring, how is replacing "baptize" with "immerse" religiously neutral language?

Just wondering,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/tc-list/?start=4747
--
Free e-mail group hosting at http://www.eGroups.com/

---

From: James Trimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:20:42 -0500

At 02:11 PM 10/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I wonder, given the intensity of the debates between "Immersion only"
Church bodies and those which recognize both immersion and
sprinkling/pouring, how is replacing "baptize" with "immerse" religiously
neutral language?

This is pure linguistics.  Greek BAPTIZO and Hebrew T'VILLA literally MEAN
"immersion"  we will use the word "immersion" because it literally
translates the text and does not have the theological baggage that
"baptize" does. 

>See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/tc-list/?start=4747
James Trimm
==============================================
He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
and having found he will be amazed,        
and having been amazed he will reign,      
and having reigned he will rest.           
 - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews   
==============================================
The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
http://www.nazarene.net
A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
==============================================
E-mail discusion groups:  Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the 
New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.  
Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
==============================================
Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm