Subject: tc-list OT scripture

From: "Steve & Jules Carson-Rowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:20:32 +1000

I am sorry if this is a little off-topic. It it is and anyone can help with
the question please reply to me off list.

In Book 2 of 'Against Apion', Josephus writes:
'..for, says the Scripture, "A woman is inferior to her husband in all
things." '

(This is the internet version of Against Apion. My library doesn't have the
Loeb Classic of this work, but the numbering of this reference in the
internet version is Book 2:25.)

Can anyone identify this scripture? If it is not in the canonical OT, does
this impact on Josephus' view of the canon of the OT which he explains in
Against Apion. (I checked Feldman's 'Josephus and Modern Scholarship:
1937-1980' but no mention was made of this particular quotation).

Regards,

Steve Carson-Rowland
Queensland, Australia

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:20:27 -0500

>internet version is Book 2:25.)

Can you check that number? I'm looking in the Loeb Josephus, and
AA 2:25 is about the Sabbath, not the relations between a woman
and her husband.

Is it possible that this should be II.ii.5, or some such? If not,
can you give us a larger quotation to work from?

Bob Waltz
[email-masked]

"The one thing we learn from history --
   is that no one ever learns from history."

---

From: Bernard Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:42:37 -0700

> '..for, says the Scripture, "A woman is inferior to her husband in all

In the Kregel publication of the Whiston text (at 2:25), probably the text on
the Internet (the text is the same), there is a footnote that says: "This text
is nowhere in our present copies of the Old Testament."

In answering the first of your questions, it leaves the second unaddressed.

Bernard Taylor