Subject: tc-list new papyri

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:42:04 +000

I can recommend a few hrs studying the most recently published 
Oxyrhynchus volumes (64 & 65), which include a number of 
fragments from biblical mss of very early vintage.  Though the 
materials are each only portions of a single page, it is possible to 
identify the biblical passages, and it is often possible to see (or 
surmise by careful restoration) interesting readings.  Six Matt. mss 
date from 2nd through 5/6th cents.; four John mss 3rd cent.; one 
James ms 3rd cent.  
Plus, vol. 65 gives strikingly early LXX mss:  
--#4442=LXX Exod. 20:10-17; 18-22, early 3rd cent. codex
--#4443=LXX Esther E16-9:3, late lst/early 2nd cent CE, roll.
--#4444=WisSol 4:17-51, 4th cent., codex.

These mss give us valuable further information on nomina sacra, 
early readings/variants, and scribal quality and mss characteristics 
of biblical mss of these early cents. (e.g., punctuation, pp. 
numbers, enlarged initial letters, margins, corrections, etc.).

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Combs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 10:11:48 -0400

Mark,

Do you ever see any info on the volumes mentioned below?

WWC
----------
>From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: tc-list new papyri
>Date: Fri, Oct 2, 1998, 8:42 AM
>