Subject: tc-list request from ioudaios

From: George Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:40:17 -0500

Colleagues:
    I have received a request for information from Stephen Goranson on
the ioudaios list.  For some reason I cannot reply on that list.  We
have recently had a change in addresses at UGA and I suppose that is the
reason.  I will try to correct that.  In the meantime  I am replying to
his request here, hoping that someone will transfer the message to the
ioudaios list.

I'm still here.  My response to Bill Petersen's review of my book on
Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew has been prepared and will appear in TC. A
Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism.  James Adair assures me that it
will be published before the end of this year so it can be in the same
volume as Petersen's critique.  I am also preparing a response to
Petersen's latest article in NTS and Horbury's appendix in Davies and
Allison.  It will be a while before can appear in print.

George Howard
UGA

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:20:07 -0800

> Allison.  It will be a while before can appear in print.

I will look forward to that article, Dr. Howard.  I must admit thatI found
Petersen convincing but I am sure you respond well to
his points.  My primary source of skepticism for Shem-tob as a
relic of a semitic "proto-Matthew" is simply that I cannot read
the Greek Matthew and see it as a translation from Hebrew.  I
can understand Aramaic sub-structures in some of the sayings
material but even then the scribe's sources may have already
been Greek translations.
I will be watching the Journal with great anticipation.

Jack