Subject: tc-list Has anyone attended Westar Institute Fall Meeting

From: "Julio Anjos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 18:37:00 -0000

Fall 1998
October 2125, 1998
Flamingo Hotel, Santa Rosa, California

Paul A. Mirecki and Charles W. Hedrick  upcoming book on the recently found
papiry ( a previouslly unknown dialogue-sayings gospel ) in a german
Egyptian Museum was suposed to be presented there.

Anyone has any info?

---

From: "Roderic L. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 21:47:21 -0500

If what you ahve heard is accurate, this must be a VERY recently discovered
papyrus.  For those who are interested, the most recent bibliography I know
of on Christian papyri is the thorough listing by Cornelia Romer,
"Christliche Texte (1989-August 1996)," in ARCHIV FUR PAPYRUSFORSCHUNG, 43.1
(1997): 107-145.  
--Rod Mullen.

---

From: "Julio Anjos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:02:17 -0000

Info on the book can be found on:
http://westarinstitute.org/Books/Author/Savior/savior.html
I have mine ordered sice August.

More info on the find can be found in:
http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/jv/rsn_may_gosp.html
But in short the facts are:

Designated the Berlin Manuscript P. 22220, the manuscript is comprised of
approximately thirty fragments, which are the remains of at least eighteen
parchment leaves. The fragments range in size from a few centimeters square
to at least one complete, though damaged, sheet comprising two leaves. One
or two fragments show evidence of having been burned. Hedrick and Mirecki
estimate on codicological grounds that the fragments come from leaves 97114
of the original codex.
...
Written in Coptic, the document is probably a translation of an original
Greek text. Hedrick describes the Coptic as a rather pure example of the
Sahidic dialect, with only one possible Achmimic variant extant.
....
. The Lord is portrayed as speaking with his apostles, and the names
James, John, and Andrew are extant.

As far as I know there are new sayings strong in gnostic imagery, and new
versions like:
Whoever is near me is near the fire; whoever is far from me is far from
life. A slightly different version of the same saying is attested in the
Gospel of Thomas, logion 82: Whoever is near me is near the fire; whoever
is far from me is far from the kingdom.

The info on the Westar Fall 1998 Meeting where the first presentation was to
be made was removed once the meeting was held, but it stated very clearly
both authours were to be there.

Best regards.
Julio