Subject: Re: tc-list Facsimile Editions

From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:10:41 -0500

> >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
> >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

Many of the important NT mss have appeared in facsimile editions, most are
quite expensive and also out of print.  Anyone who has priced facsimile
editions of other manuscripts knows that the Eerdmans facsimile is a real
bargain.

Here are a few possibilities:

The Olms reprint of Tischendorf's edition of Sinaiticus may still be in
print.  Pickwick Press, Pittsburgh, reprinted Scrivener's edition of Bezae.
 In both cases, these are not strictly facsimile editions, but diplomatic
renderings of the mss in Uncial script.

Bruce Metzger's _Manuscripts of the Greek Bible_ provides a nice collection
of representative samples, including Greek OT.

Jack Finegan, _Encountering New Testament manuscripts_ (Eerdmans, 1974) is
a richly illustrated "working introduction to textual criticism."  It is
out of print, but I heard rumors that someone was planning to reissue it.

J. K. Elliott, _A bibliography of Greek New Testament manuscripts_
(Cambridge U. Press, 1989) lists editions and available facsimiles and
plates by manuscript number.  A very useful resource.

> I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
> because they are out of stock) 
> 
>       The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
>       Manuscripts  edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
> 
> from CBD  Retail price $49.99  CBD price $24.95.

I think out of stock really means not yet published, postponed from mid
1998 to ?.  It should be a valuable resource, but my impression is that it
will only include selected plates, not full facsimiles.

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies
1865 Broadway
New York, NY  10023
[email-masked]

---

From: John Albu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 05:28:33 -0500

> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

A complete color facsimile edition of Vaticanus 1209 will be
published by the Istituto  Poligrafico dello Stato, Italy.

John Albu

___________________________________________
Simplify your holiday shopping...
Visit our partners for great holiday gifts.
http://www.netzero.net/etoys
http://www.netzero.net/amazon