Subject: tc-list The PAPYRUS EGERTON 2 Homepage (TC-List)

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:15:53 +0100

For your holiday enjoyment:

The PAPYRUS EGERTON 2 Homepage

http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html

This page shows you images of the fragments, the restored greek text
(diplomatic line by line transcript + apparatus), translations, a
bibliography and some publications.
I am very interested in your comments!

Till now you may know only the reconstructed text given in a lot of
secondary books, but looking at the fragment itself will show you that there
are a lot of open questions.

Egerton has some interesting rare Nomina Sacra, which are presented. (This
might be of special interest for Bob Waltz and his NS collection on his
highly recommended TC site.)
I would like to know your comments about the restoration given by Schmidt
for Fragment 1 Recto (the healing of the leper) which removes the factual
impossibility of traveling with lepers.
I also need some help with the English translations. If someone has some
spare time, please contact me.

Personally I love to know what Jesus is saying in Fragment 2 Verso lines
67-70. So far no sufficient reconstruction has been found. Especially the
first line of this fragment (line 67) is puzzling.
Tell me what you make of it!

Special TC-List question: What do you think about the dating? A comparison
of Egerton with P66 and P75 might be interesting.

Best wishes
    Wieland

"Critically examine everything. Hold on to the good."
(Paul, First Thessalonians 5.21)
---------------
Wieland Willker
[email-masked]
http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html

---

From: Dave Washburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:36:25 -0700

> http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html

This page is very well organized and the images are excellent as far as I can
tell.  I don't know that much about this topic so I can't comment too much on
the content; however, one thing that strikes me about the page that shows
typical letters is that there appear, to my untrained eye, to be at least two
hands represented in the scripts.  Has anyone else commented on this, or does
anybody else here have any thoughts?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Oh, the mind boggles!"  -Wakko