Subject: tc-list Lk 22:62 in 0171

From: "Ulrich Schmid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:22:58 +0100

Recently I came accross various references to  0171 either stating that "(t)here is too little space for the words 'And going out he wept bitterly' (sc. Lk 22:62) to have been present in the manuscript" (D. Parker, The Living Text of the Gospels, p. 160), or indicating that even Aland conjectured the omission of that very verse (cf. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts - Luke, ad locum). Additionally, the new edition of Metzger's _Textual Commentary (1994)_ still presents as evidence for the omission 0171vid, while in NA-27 the reference 0171vid is gone. This is a puzzling situation. The following questions come to mind:

1) What do we find in GNT-4? Unfortunately, I cannot check it right now...

2) Are there any new studies on 0171 after K.Aland, Alter und Entstehung des D-Textes im Neuen Testament. Betrachtungen zu P 69 und 0171; Miscellania Papirologica Ramon Roca-Puig (Barcelona 1987) representing something of a consensus regarding 0171's testimony for Lk 22:62?

3) What might be the exact meaning of Swanson's "(Lk 22:)62 om. 0171 (Aland cj.)"? 
a) The conjecture was proposed by Aland?, or
b) it is found in an edition somehow related with Aland?, or
c) ???
So far it's a puzzle to me, since Aland holds the opposite position in his above mentioned article. 

Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Ulrich Schmid

---

From: "DC PARKER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:51:02 GMT

There is ana rticle by J.N. Birdsall, 'A fresh examination of the 
fragments of the gospel of St. Luke in ms. 0171 and an attempted 
reconstruction with special reference to the recto', "Philologische 
Sacra" (F/S H.J. Frede & W. Thiele), ed. R. Gryson, Freiburg 1993, 
212-227.

He presents the evidence which led me to be so definite in my 
statement in "The Living Text of the Gospels".  He also provides an 
account of different views which explains the confusion to which our 
attention has been drawn.

David Parker

DR DC PARKER
READER IN NEW TESTAMENT TEXTUAL CRITICISM AND PALAEOGRAPHY
DEPT OF THEOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
TEL. 0121-414 3613
FAX  0121-414 6866
E-MAIL [email-masked]

---

From: "William L. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 12:48:14 -0500

Thank you, David.  As usual, a mastery of the bibliography is the first
step to both properly defining a problem and then solving it.

--Petersen, Penn State University.

---

From: "DC PARKER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:29:36 GMT

Dear Bill

Quite.

Good to see you in Mickie Mouseland.  I thought that our debate was 
really valuable, because you were willing to be provocative - greatly 
enjoyed it.

best wishes

David

DR DC PARKER