Subject: tc-list Swanson publication on Acts

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:42:55 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I was excited to hear recently that the next volume of
Reuben Swanson's text critical apparatus has come out:
"New Testament Greek Manuscripts: The Acts of the Apostles"
which is available through the publisher, William Carey Library,
at PO Box 40129, Pasadena, CA 91104, or telephone +1 626 798 0819.

Since I was impressed by his four volumes on the Gospels,
I plan on ordering this right away.  Having heard that Swanson's health
hasn't been great, I'm pleased that he was able to complete this
installment.

Vincent Broman                                       San Diego, California, USA
Email: broman at sd.znet.com (home)       or spawar.navy.mil or nosc.mil (work)
Phone: +1 619 284 3775                       Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W
=== PGPv2 protected mail preferred. For public key finger me at np.nosc.mil ===

---

From: [email-masked] (Maurice A. Robinson)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:10:56 EST

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:42:55 -0500 Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
writes:

>I plan on ordering this right away.  Having heard that Swanson's 
>health hasn't been great, I'm pleased that he was able to complete this
>installment.

The Acts volume (which I have) is certainly welcome, but it has some
changes in format from the previous gospel volumes, which may or may not
be considered improvements by the readers, depending on their
preferences.  E.g., the nomina sacra now appear in the text rather than
in the footnote apparatus; so too the mere orthographic differences as
well as the plain and clear blunders.  Previously these were all in the
various footnote sections. Also, there no longer is any reference to the
Majority text (which was indicated by Gothic "M" in the gospel volumes),
and I presume that one simply is supposed to discern "M" by looking for
the reading supported by the majority of Swanson's collated witnesses,
which in some cases may well be incorrect.  . 
								
An added feature is the footnoted critique of other apparatuses,
particularly Nestle27. I do not know how accurate the critique is,
however, and I probably have a greater tendency to suspect Swanson's
collation rather than the NA27 apparatus.

==============================================
Maurice A. Robinson
Professor of NT and Greek
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, North Carolina.

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

---

From: Mike and Jeanne Arcieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:30:39 -0800

Maurice A. Robinson wrote:
 
> preferences.  

Where did you get the volume from? Did Swanson bring some at the ETS 
meeting? Any news at what Swanson is doing next?

Mike