Subject: tc-list Gen.32 and Samar

From: "Grzegorz P. Turkanik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:41:54 +0100

Greetings,

I am writing a paper on Gen.32,23-33 and I wonder if someone could share
his/her views on importance of Samaritan Pentateuch to TC of MT. For
example, should one accept reading of Samar in 32,23? There are no other
traditions that would support Samar, but Samar on the other hand may have
preserved text independent of Masoretic tradition.

Hope my question is not too simplistic for this list (till now I have
benefited a great deal - thank you).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gregor P. Turkanik

________________________________
student of Biblical Studies
Christian Academy of Theology
Warsaw, Poland
e-mail: [email-masked]
________________________________

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:42:56 +0000

>preserved text independent of Masoretic tradition.

Most likely the tradents of the Sam. Pent. merely did here what they do in a
number of places- i.e., offer a reading which supports Samaritan theology.

>benefited a great deal - thank you).

Not at all.  The Sam. Pent. is useful, but in matters textual it has to be
taken with a huge grain of salt and its readings must generally be supported
by another textual tradition.  That is how I handle it anyway.

>Thank you in advance for your help.

best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest