Subject: RE: tc-list Mk 16

From: "Stevens, Charles C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:35:04 -0700

It seems to me that the question as to whether or not the author of the body
of the Gospel of Mark wrote any of the three endings to that Gospel has not
much at all to do with whether or not God inspired the author of any (or
all, for that matter!) of the endings, and/or the scribes that copied them.
The former question is a historical one; the latter, doctrinal.  

	-Chuck Stevens

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael L. Kennedy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 1999 9:42 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: tc-list Mk 16

It is interesting that you suggested that it is "blasphemous" to speak 
about a shorter ending to Mark, a variation which is supported by the 
manuscripts.

Blasphemy is when God, or something related to him, is cursed or reviled 
instead of being honored. I don't think God is dishonored by not 
attributing something to him that he never said.

~MLK

-----Original Message-----
From:	robert s. morse [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Saturday, January 23, 1999 1:56 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	tc-list Mk 16

Dear Gentlemen:

I appreciate getting information about New Testament text. (The part
that's blasphemous I simply delete.) Glad too to see that there is still
an interest in Mark 16, after the whole question was "settled" a hundred
years ago. After working on the subject for quite a few years (in
writing a book), I can only say that my confidence in its originality
grows stronger every time I encounter fresh evidence. There are some
areas, however, that seem not to be covered very well in the works I
have been privileged to delve into. For example, how many Georgian MSS
carry the passage? What are the confines of the "Jerusalem Lectionary"?
Does the Armenian tradition have lectionary MSS, and if so, what sort of
testimony do they bear on this? Glad for any help that might be
available.

Bob Morse

---

From: Jean Valentin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mar, 26 Jan 99 23:38:37 +0100

>For example, how many Georgian MSS

A few information about the Georgian manuscripts. The history of the 
Georgian version is generally thought to have had three stages of 
evolution:

1) the Adysh ms, a version probably translated from a lost old-armenian 
original, stops at 16.8

2) the "pre-vulgate", a version generally called "cesarean" (though I 
know that this term is quite open to discussion). I have here the 
publications of four mss: A, B, D and E. Of those, A stops at 16.8 and 
the three others have the longuer ending.

3) the "Georgian vulgate", or Athonite recension made on a byzantine 
text, has the longuer ending too.

As to the Jerusalem lectionary, I didn't take the time to immerse myself 
in that question - lectionary study is a discipline in itself! - but 
there's a publication by Tarchnishvili in the belgo-american collection 
CSCO.

And, yes, there are Armenian lectionaries but I don't have references to 
publications right now.

Hope this helps,

Jean V.

Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
e-mail : [email-masked]