Subject: tc-list LXX and Book of Common Prayer's Psalter

From: [email-masked] (Norman Swift)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:43:01 -0500 (EST)

Mark Goodacre has kindly suggested the following query may not be too
far off subject and suggested I post it:  The Psalter in the Book of
Common Prayer is ostensibly a revised English translation (original
possibly by Miles Coverdale) of a Latin translation of the Greek LXX.
Can someone confirm this or steer me in the right direction for
documentation, especially as to versions?  I'd appreciate it.  Many
thanks for the many helpful posts that have greatly edified this novice
Graecist.
 
Off list replies at your discretion.

EFM, Bethesda-by-the-Sea
Palm Beach, FL

Norman

---

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:01:25 -0500

Norman:

The Psalter of The Book of Common Prayer is indeed Miles Coverdale's
translation and is based upon Jerome's Vulgate (which was based upon the
Hebrew, his Gallican Psalter was based upon the LXX) , Pagnini's Latin
version of 1528, Luther's German version, the Zurich Bible of 1531 and
Tyndale's version (or possible in place of Tyndale), Desidedrius Erasmus's
Latin Version.

Documentation for this comes from The Cambridge History of the Bible: The
West from the Reformation to the Present Day. Edited by S. L. Greenslade.
Cambridge University Press, 1963. page 148

>Off list replies at your discretion.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
Tennessee Temple University/Temple Baptist Seminary
1815 Union Ave. 
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked] (preferred)
[email-masked] (alternate)
http://web.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm