Subject: Re: tc-list Re: Majority Opinion

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:00:49 +0000

At 09:51 AM 1/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I feel as though I am the amateur of all amateurs so please forgive me for
asking
>such an elementary question.
>Recently in discussion with a local pastor the pastor remarked that most
scholars
>hold to the view giving highest regard to the "majority text." From the
little I
>know of the topic I thought this statement was completely without warrant.
I would,
>however, appreciate the comments of those "in the know."
>Many thanks in advance.

Your pastor friend is simply wrong.  The majority view of those working in
textual criticism is that the "majority" text is not due the highest regard.
There are, of course, dissenters, (like our own Maurice Robinson- for whom
we all have the greatest respect).  Still, the majority of textual critics
do not support the notion that the majority text is representative of the
earliest text.

>Nelson Roth

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

[email-masked]

---

From: "Nelson D. Roth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:46:43 -0500

> Quartz Hill School of Theology

Thank you for such a rapid response. I really did not expect to hear from anyone
for at least a brief period of time.
Quartz Hill? I'm not familiar with the school. Where is it located? What
programs of study do they offer?
Also, have you any familiarity with the new translation the "NET Bible?" I've
been in communication with Dr. Daniel B. Wallace, one of the translators, and
hope to receive a copy within a week or so. It can be viewed at:
http://www.bible.org

Thanks in advance and blessings,

Nelson Roth