Subject: RE: tc-list 3,000 manuscriprs

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:42:51 -0600

Approximately 1148 mss were discovered, 305 of them complete. 836 are in
Greek containing primarily Christian literature with the others representing
arabic, syriac, old church slavonic, armenian, latin, ethiopic, and hebrew
(listed in their order of frequency).

The following articles are helpful. 

Aland, Kurt, "Die neuen Sinai-Funde," Bericht der Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue
Foerderung der neutestamentlichen Textforschung fuer die Jahre 1977 bis
1979, 46-58.

Aland, Kurt, "Die Ausgaben und laufenden Arbeit des Instituts," Bericht der
Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue Foerderung der neutestamentlichen Textforschung
fuer die Jahre 1979 bis 1981, 33-35.

Aland, Barbara, "Die neuen neutestamentlichen Handschriften vom Sinai,"
Bericht der Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue Foerderung der neutestamentlichen
Textforschung fuer die Jahre 1982 bis 1984, 76-89.

A quick look at the Kurzgefasste Liste suggests that uncials 0278-0296,
minuscules 2797-2801, and lectionaries 2285-2304 belong to that find.

Curt Niccum

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Prof. Ron Minton [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Wednesday, January 06, 1999 12:16 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	tc-list 3,000 manuscriprs
> 
> Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL  60188
> had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
> in issue 43 of _Christian History_.  On page 35, the caption of the
> picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers 
> discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."
> 
> I would like to find more information about both the discovery and the
> manuscripts.  The magazine editor was not able to help me.  Does anyone
> have information about this?
> 
> Prof Ron Minton
> 5379 North Farm Road 179
> Springfield, MO 65803
> (417) 833-9581

---

From: "Douglas F. Salmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:39:25 -0700

See James H. Charlesworth, "The Manuscripts of St Catherine's Monastery,"
_Biblical Archeologist_ 43 (Winter 1980): 26-34. This was the third of a
series, the earlier two being in 41.1 (1978): 29-31 and 42.3 (1979):
174-79.

--Doug Salmon

----------
> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 3:53 PM
> In the early 1980's James H. Charlesworth did a series of articles and
> publications on these that may give you some idea of their contents. 
--Rod
> Mullen 
> 
> At 12:16 PM 1/6/99 -0600, you wrote:

---

From: "George Kiraz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:13:17 -0500

>> discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."

A catalogue of the Syriac fragments (not manuscripts) of that discovery has
been catalogued:

S. P. Brock, _Catalogue of Syriac Fragments (New Finds) in the Library of
the Monastery of Saint Catherine, Mount Sinai_ (Athens: Mount Sinai
Foundation, 1995). ISBN 96085739-0-4 [A large volume describing the
fragments with photos of the fragments.]

----------
George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
Language Modeling Research
Bell Laboratories
Lucent Technologies
Room 2D-446
700 Mountain Ave.
Murray Hill, NJ 07974
Tel. +1 908 582 4074
Fax. +1 908 582 3306
email: [email-masked]

Bell Labs Text-to-Speech: http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts
Hugoye Journal: http://www.acad.cua.edu/syrcom/Hugoye