Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: tc-list John Burgon's The Last Twelve Verses of Mark]]

From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:27:43 -0500

I'm forwarding to the list a message I received from James Kelhoffer
regarding critiques of Burgon's work. Hope this is helpful. Jim's
address is included for those of you who might wish to take up his offer
of further bibliography.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson 	
-- 
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
Chicago, Illinois 60626
e-mail [email-masked]
  [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:17:22 -0600
From: "James A. Kelhoffer" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: tc-list John Burgon's The Last Twelve Verses of Mark]

Dear Jeffrey,

It is always good to hear from you.  I look forward to hearing your paper
later this month at CSBR.

Concerning the individual's question, might this be Douglas R. Edwards, who
wrote <Religion and Power> (1996)?

One of the best critiques of J. W. Burgon's 1871 book is by his contemporaries,

B. F. Westcott and F. J. A. Hort, <The New Testament in the Original Greek>
(2 Vols.; Cambridge, Macmillan: 1881-1882; Second Edition, 1896) Appendix,
2.28-51.

For more recent discussions I would suggest:

Steven Lynn Cox, <A History and Critique of Scholarship Concerning the
Markan Endings> (Lewiston; Queenston; Lampeter: Mellen Biblical Press,
1993) 56-72.

Michael H. Heuer, "An Evaluation of John W. Burgon's Use of Patristic
Evidence," JETS 38 (1995) 519-530.

My own dissertation discusses Burgon's work briefly in the history of
scholarship (James A. Kelhoffer, "The Authentication of Missionaries and
their Message in the Longer Ending of Mark (Mark 16:9-20)" [University of
Chicago, 1999] 20-22).

I would be happy to pass along additional bibliography, including works in
German and French, if the person is interested.  You may post any part of
this note on the TC-list.

Kind regards,
Jim

>James,
>
>This one looks right up your alley. If you are not subscribed to
>TC-List, but wish to reply, do so to me, and I'll forwad it to the list.
>
>Happy new Year, by the way. Hope all is well.
>
>D.R. Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Forgive me for asking you to indulge an amateur, but would anyone know of a
>> relatively recently-published book or article that counters the points
>> Burgon makes in defense of the long ending?  I've only recently obtained a
>> copy of his book; he seems to cover quite a bit of territory - more than
>> I've seen addressed in any single source available to me.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> D. Edwards

********************************************************
James A. Kelhoffer, Ph.D. cand.
New Testament and Early Christian Literature
University of Chicago

Adjunct Instructor
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street
Chicago, IL  60615

Home address, phone and e-mail:
5430 South Kimbark Avenue #3S
Chicago, IL 60615
773/363-9050
[email-masked]

---

From: "Nelson D. Roth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:51:38 -0500

I feel as though I am the amateur of all amateurs so please forgive me for asking
such an elementary question.
Recently in discussion with a local pastor the pastor remarked that most scholars
hold to the view giving highest regard to the "majority text." From the little I
know of the topic I thought this statement was completely without warrant. I would,
however, appreciate the comments of those "in the know."
Many thanks in advance.

Nelson Roth