Subject: tc-list Re: Thiede and the nu

From: "Thomas J. Kraus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:58:25 +0200

Dear Wieland,

of course, C.P. Thiede´s *nu* cannot be safe! A damaged letter (above 
all near lacunae) is always a great problem for those who try to 
reconstruct it. Here, on 7Q5, Thiede´s microscopic investigation (why not 
engage the FBI and CIA next time :)) has one decisive mistake: the damaged 
letter does not convincingly show what Thiede wants to see on it (it shows 
a haste, or to be less precise a stroke, which still needs 
interpretation). A picture of that investigation can be found in B. Mayer, 
ed., Christen und Christliches in Qumran?, Eichstätter Studien 32, 
Regensburg 1992.
Harald Vocke (ZPE 113, 1996, 153-157) wanted to know something about this 
specific microscope and the investigation. But he never got any response.
Wieland, your observation is at least as plausible as Thiede´s.

Best wishes,

Thomas J. Kraus

Universitaet Regensburg
Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
Universitaetsstr. 31
D-93053 Regensburg

Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
[email-masked]