Subject: tc-list IOMS Call for Papers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:42:19 EST

Call for Papers--1999 Meeting of the International Organization for Masoretic
Studies

     The International Organization for Masoretic Studies will meet this year
in Boston, MA, in conjunction with the SBL/AAR meeting, November 20-23, 1999.
There will be two IOMS sessions at the 1999 annual meeting.  The theme of the
first will be "Integrating the Masorah into the Classroom:  Using BHQ," and
papers are by invitation.  The second session will be open.  Your proposal
should contain your name, the name of your academic institution, the title of
your proposed paper, and a summary or abstract of the paper.  The summary
should be no more than 300 words in length and must be doubled spaced.   An
SBL/AAR Annual Meeting participation form will also be needed by March 1.
More specific information can be found in the Call for Papers or at the SBL
web site.  Abstracts, etc. should be to Dr. David Marcus, Jewish Theological
Seminary of America, 3080 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10027-4649
([email-masked]) AND Dr. Daniel Mynatt, P.O. Box 1114, Anderson College,
Anderson, SC  29621 ([email-masked]).

---

From: "Prof. Ron Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:36:34 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Does anyone know of a data base of Anglo Saxon, early, and middle English
writings that is somewhat like the TLG for ancient Greek?  I know the OED
has good etymologies and early word usage, but it is limited because of
its purpose.

Ron Minton
5379 North Farm Road 179
Springfield, MO 65803
(417)833-9581

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:44:37 -0500

I'm not sure what you're looking for.  Do you want somethig that will deal
with old english biblical quotations?  Of course the Old English was
translated from the Latin Vulgate, and was never translated in full.  If
Old English Bible is what you're after, I can recommend the following texts
(sorry they are in old-fashioned ink & paper):

1. A.S. Cook, "Biblical Quotations in Old English Prose writers." (one
volume was printed in 1898 and reprinted in 1971, the other volume was
reprinted in 1974).

2. S. J. Crawford, "The Old English Version of the Heptateuch."  (London,
1922).

3. The Old English (West Saxon) Gospels.  Various editions.

4. Alfred the Great translated several of the psalms (or had them
translated) into English.

5. Also, the metrical homilies of Aelfric contain many renditions of
biblical text into Old English.

6. There is also a dictionary of Old English (sorry the reference is not at
hand, but a good academic library should have a copy) which ought to help you.

--Rod Mullen

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:45:42 -0700

> (sorry they are in old-fashioned ink & paper):

I read Ron's post to mean he's looking for a general database of 
Old English writings, not just biblical material and quotes.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
A Bible that's falling apart means a life that isn't.

---

From: "Paul F. Schaffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:34:13 -0500 (EST)

> writings that is somewhat like the TLG for ancient Greek?

For Old English (Anglo-Saxon) the standard text base is that prepared
in connection with the Dictionary of Old English in Toronto. Some
earlier versions of this were distributed free on disk, I believe,
but its current incarnation is as the subscription-only "Dictionary
of Old English Old English Corpus" hosted by the University of Michigan
at http://www.hti.umich.edu/english/oec/

Middle English is a little more complicated: here at Michigan we host
a fledgling but growing corpus of 42+ texts (probably more like 200+
within a year or so), alongside an electronic version of the Middle
English Dictionary. The MED, with its roughly 800,000 ME quotations,
is something of a corpus in itself. MED, ME corpus, and ME bibliography
together form the "Middle English Compendium"; this too is available
only via institutional site license. See
http://www.hti.umich.edu/mec

A large number of Middle English texts are included in commercial
text products such as the Chadwyck-Healey "English Poetry Database,"
"Verse Drama" database, and Bible database (which includes the 
Wycliffite Bible, I believe). Many smaller databases have been created
or are in the process of being created in connection with individual
projects such as the Middle English project at Glasgow and Margaret
Laing's project at Edinburgh; many scholars have posted individual
texts to the web; and the partly normalized texts of the TEAMS series
are mostly (entirely?) available on the web (see:
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/teams/tmsmenu.htm)

For some other links, see:

http://www.georgetown.edu/labyrinth/library/me/me.html
http://virgil.org/chaucer/links/

A general web search will turn up a few more, but not many.

Hope this helps. I wish the situation were tidier, and all the texts
were free, but it's not and they're not.

pfs
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Schaffner | [email-masked] | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/
SGML Prod'n Mgr, ME Compendium, Univ. of Mich. Digital Libraries Pgm
--------------------------------------------------------------------