Subject: tc-list John 4:51

From: Mike Logsdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:15:09 -0600

I do not have a critical Nestle 21 text but have noticed that the text I do
have reads at John 4:51 the slaves while the NA27, UBS3 and UBS4 all read
his slaves. Not surprisingly the UBS does not have this as a textual
variant BUT the NA27 does. IS this a listed variant in the Nestle 21
critical texts and why the textual change between these two editions NA27
and Nestle 21? I realize this is a relatively nuetral variant in that it is
more of a stylistic/clarification concern, but I have noticed that the
Nestle 21 edition that I do have contains numerous alterations from the
NA27 (can't think of any others at this time?) Just curious if it is listed
as a variant and why the NA27 would include the pronoun when the Nestle 21
did not?

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:35:30 -0600

>as a variant and why the NA27 would include the pronoun when the Nestle 21

The variant is listed in NA21.

As for why the pronoun was omitted in NA21 but included in UBS3,
we cannot, of course, answer for the UBS committee; this is not
one of the variants discussed in the supplementary volume.

But I think the answer is obvious.

The evidence for omission is: Aleph D L Psi fam-1 565 892 1241
The evidence for inclusion is: P66 P75  A B C W fam-13 33 579 Byz

NA21 omits because Tischendorf (who really, REALLY liked the
combination Aleph D) omitted it, and I assume Weiss did also
(WH included it).

The reason the UBS committee included it is, I think, obvious,
given their feelings:

P75.

It's a little strong to say that UBS3 always follows P75 -- but
it's safe to say they followed it if there was the slightest
excuse to do so. :-)
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)