Subject: tc-list Thiede's talk

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:58:43 +0100

First: Thanks to all, who replied to my request. I have read everything, was
also in the library, have read several articles and thought about it on my
own.
Thank you again!

After his talk I must say I was quite impressed.
He presented a well considered lecture (unfortunately without slides) about
Qumran in general, the Essenes etc. and I agreed about most of what he said
(= no connection between Jesus and Qumran, but connections of Jesus with
Essenes). Except that he mentioned two times the "christian texts found in
cave 7" in passing.
About these christian texts his model is, that the Christians, with a
similar messianic perspective wanted to communicate with the Essenes about
that.
He quoted a jewish scholar S. Talmon(?) who said that "if we hadn't found
the christian texts in Qumran already, we must have expected them there." or
something to that effect.
He also said that the Qumranians wanted to "tell the world" about their
views and that's the reason why they produced all these texts. I find this
in conflict with the evidence from their rule not to tell anybody about
their views.

Nothing about P4/64/67.

So, pass to the order of the day...

Best wishes
    Wieland

PS: Thiede thinks the "Nu" is safe.
My personal (completely irrelevant) view is that I find the "Nu" not
convincing. I think a Iota - Chi (Jon Peter) more probable. I have never
seen the infra red picture (is it published?) and Thiedes microscope image
shows nothing IMHO. To me this looks like typical random variations in the
(damaged) fibre structure.
The assignment of 7Q4,8,12 to Enoch with "Bibleworks for Windows" is really
cool!
See: http://pw2.netcom.com/~emuro/7qenoch/article2.html

---

From: Ian Hutchesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:43:40 +0100

At 19.58 13/02/99 +0100, Wieland wrote:
>[Thiede] presented a well considered lecture ... about
>Essenes). 

When he says there are connections between Jesus and the Essenes, does he
mean between Jesus and the ideas he (Thiede) gleans from the DSS?

Ian