Subject: tc-list Origins of the Papyri

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:22:21 -0800

TC'ers:

Many folks today are saying (pace: K. Aland) that the origins of the papyri
are unknown, ie., they were only "found" in Egypt, but could have been
written or originated anywhere; thus their lack of agreement could reflect
the state of the text throughout Christianity in the first couple of
hundred years.  On the other hand K. Aland has written several times that
p38/p48 have been determined by paleographers to have come from Egypt
(though they are the "basis"--I use the term very loosely--of the "D" type
of text in the West).  What I'm wondering (and don't seem to be able to
locate) is, have paleographic studies been done on the other papyri to
determine their "origins" or not?

XAIREIN...

***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages        Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************