Subject: Re: tc-list sam. pent.

From: Yuri Kuchinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:10:52 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Ian Hutchesson wrote:

> Yuri wrote:
> 
> >As M A Robinson already noted, genizah was primarily a way to
> >deal with worn out sacred texts. Since they were too worn out to be
> >useful, and destroying them would be sacrilegious, they were put away in a
> >genizah. Genizah was like a cemetery for old and treasured texts.
> 
> Are there any ancient documents to support this view or does it only
> go back to the middle ages?

I don't know, Ian.

> >What did they do with the texts that were deemed "heretical"? They
> >burned them.
> 
> Again the sources to this would be rather interesting.

Can't give you sources off hand, but I seem to recal some Talmudic
statement about what to do with troublesome heretical documents. Do you
think what I said didn't make sense?

Yours,

Yuri. 
                                                         
Yuri Kuchinsky || Toronto
                                
http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/bbl.htm                  
                                                         
The goal proposed by Cynic philosophy is apathy, which is
equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian

---

From: Ian Hutchesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 05:24:31 +0100

>think what I said didn't make sense?

Thanks, Yuri.

It did make sense.

I found the information interesting, but would need sources if I were to
use it.

Perhaps someone else on the list has some knowledge or ideas in the area.

Thanks,

Ian

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:23:29 -0600

> >> go back to the middle ages?

I can't seem to find anything about the use of genizoth prior to the
Talmudic period.  Every reference to ancient genizoth seems to refer
to Taylor-Schecter.  I would like to know if this was a practice
in 2nd temple times.  Anyone else have something on this?

Jack

-- 
______________________________________________

taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]

http://www.historian.net