Subject: tc-list Martyrdom & Ascension of Isaiah?

From: Mark Gipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:59:32 -0500

I have been reading the "Martyrdom and Ascension of Isaiah" from the 2nd Vol
of "The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha" Edited by James H. Charlesworth

It is stated that most of this book is believed to have been written in Hebrew
( but they site no Hebrew Manuscripts only Ethiopic, Latin, Greek fagments
and others... but no Hebrew.

Question #1 Does anyone know of only Hebrew fagments of this work?

Question #2 I noted that in the translation  "LORD" was spelled with all
chaps. This is normally done when the original was the Hebrew Divine Name.
Does the Ethiopic text use a form of the Divine Name?

Thanks for your Help

Mark Gipe

---

From: Curt Niccum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:39:39 -0600

With regard to question #2, the Ethiopic does not use a form of the Divine
Name. Knibb is making a distinction between three Ethiopic words and their
"usual" use in OT translation (see note s. on page 157). The capitalized
form LORD can only be used safely for distinguishing the Ethiopic word
underlying the English translation. It possibly indicates the presence of
the tetragrammaton in the Hebrew (if the original was Hebrew).

Curt

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Mark Gipe [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, February 22, 1999 9:00 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	tc-list Martyrdom & Ascension of Isaiah?
>