Subject: tc-list Cowley's Aramaic Papyrus No. 5

From: "David G.K. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:06:29 -0500

Dear Albert,

I think the line can best be read by understanding there to 
be a pause or a break between the pronoun HY and the relative 
particle ZY (the equivalent of a comma, although I note that Cowley 
actually uses a fullstop). Thus ZY is not simply modifying the HY but 
refers back to the subject of the preceding sentence/clause, ie 'this 
roof/portico', thus producing: "this portico, which adjoins my house 
at the upper corner, is yours".

I don't think that this construction is particularly unusual in any 
dialect of Aramaic. Does this get any closer to answering your 
question?

Best wishes,

David

***************************************************************************
Dr David G.K.Taylor               email: [email-masked]                    
Department of Theology,       tel:   0121-414 5666                                  
University of Birmingham,    fax:   0121-414 6866                                   
Birmingham B15 2TT,                                                                 
U.K.                                                                                
***************************************************************************