Subject: tc-list Josephus Ant 18.3.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 17:23:08 -0600

Denny Diehl here

Perhaps this is not the right forum for this question.
If so, please forgive.  

Does anyone have a handle on Josephus in Ant 18.3.3
if there is textual evidence of it being an interpolation:

	"Now, there was about this time, Jesus, a wise
	man, if it be lawful to call him a man ... He was
	the Christ..."
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

---

From: Ian Hutchesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:26 +0100

>	man, if it be lawful to call him a man ... He was

Origen (Contra Celsus i,47) said Josephus didn't believe in Jesus, so he
didn't know about this passage. Eusebius knows the passage, so we have an
indication of the limits.

Besides, can you imagine a practising Jew like Josephus saying, "He was the
Christ"? Unthinkable.

Ian