Subject: tc-list Theide,Qumran, etc...

From: Kerry Gilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:06:07 +0000

Theide has written replies to claims made by Graham Stanton in one of his
most recent books (written at a popular level)- the Jesus Papyrus. I'm only
familiar with the subject through Theide's work and a few mentions of it in
John Wenham's 'Redating Matthew, Mark and Luke'.  I also have a book of 18 
of Theide's published essays entitled 'Rekindling the Word: In Search of
Gospel Truth' (which is where I guess Graham Stanton got his title from).  I
don't have it with me right now (I can get to the exact reference when I get
home), but there is one essay where Theide claims to have put 7Q5 under a
laser/electronic microscope and determined the one letter that was in doubt
(faded ink) as far as the determination of whether or not 7Q5 was Mark. Has
anyone seen any responses directly to this (assuming everyone knows what I'm
talking about) or does Graham Stanton deal directly with this in his book?

Kerry

In Christ,
Kerry Gilliard
Founder-Director
W.I.T.N.E.S.S. Ministries
1 Peter 3:15, Jude 3
e-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]
http://tidalwave.net/~blufunk195

---

From: "Thomas J. Kraus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:49:41 +0200

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Kerry Gilliard wrote:

Dear Kerry,
the problem with Thiede´s *magnificient* investigation performed by means 
of his special microscope is that he does not allow anybody to prove his 
observations. Some of those, who studied the original 7Q5 (see Puech, 
Stanton, Boismard ...) do not confirm Thiede´s observation.
I do not regard the way Thiede treats the case with a hidden means of 
research as scientific. On the original you can see ... a stroke, and it 
still depends on your own interpretation of how to reconstruct the 
disputed letter (nu or iota or whatever).
For further assessment of Thiede´s hiding away of his *superb* microscope 
see: Vocke, H., Papyrus Magdalen 17 - weitere Argumente gegen die 
Frühdatierung des angeblichen Jesus-Papyrus, in: ZPE 113, 1996, 153-157.
For a wider discussion of 7Q5 see my *very long* and *probably tiring* 
mail.

Best wishes,

Thomas J. Kraus

B. Mayer, ed., Christen und Christliches in Qumran?, Eichstätter Studien 
32, Regensburg 1992
Universitaet Regensburg
Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
Universitaetsstr. 31
D-93053 Regensburg

Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas J. Kraus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:03:30 +0200

Dear Kerry,

haste is the opponent to ...

If you want to see a reproduction of Thiede´s laser/electronic microscopic 
investigation (wow), you´ll find it in:

32, Regensburg 1992.

Unfortunately, I included this reference hidden in between my address. 
Sorry about that.

Best wishes,

Thomas J. Kraus

Universitaet Regensburg
Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
Universitaetsstr. 31
D-93053 Regensburg

Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86