Subject: tc-list Request: Worms German Bible (fwd)

From: "Prof. Ron Minton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:13:58 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

A friend is looking for information on a 1529 Bible.
If you have information, please post to him at: [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Hello, 
I am looking for more information concerning the 1529 German Bible.
If you know of any other sources of information concerning this German
Bible, I would appreciate it if you would email the name of the sources
and where they can be found.  Thank you for your assistance.
Rick Norris

In his 1914 book THE WORLD'S DEBT TO THE BAPTISTS, John William Porter
wrote:  "The first translation of the complete Bible from the original Hebrew
and Greek was given to the Germans by the Anabaptists."
 This Bible was published at Worms in 1529 and is hence known as the Worms
Bible.  Porter cited a source that stated that the Worms Bible "had its origin
from the Baptists."  The two main translators are thought to have been
Anabaptists--Ludwig Hetzer and Hans Denck.  Hetzer and Denck first made and
published a translation of the Prophets of the Old Testament in 1527. (p.
139a)  Porter noted that "Hetzer was arrested, condemned as a heretic, and
beheaded at Constance."  Porter wrote that Denck "suffering with tuberculosis"
and "under a decree of banishment and outlawry, died in hiding, in Basel, in
1529" (p. 139c).
  Porter pointed out that every possible effort was made to suppress this
"heretic bible" with all copies being found destroyed.  Porter noted that only three
copies are now known to be in existence--"one in the library in the University
of Bonn, one in a library in Stuttgart, and one in the New York Public
Library" (p. 139d).  Porter claimed that Martin Luther made use of the Worms
Bible especially in the Old Testament (pp. 139b-139c).
Rick Norris

If you have information, please post to him at:  [email-masked]

---

From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 13:19:49 -0500

I've already posted info to him

Kevin

>If you have information, please post to him at:  [email-masked]

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
Tennessee Temple University/Temple Baptist Seminary
1815 Union Ave. 
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
[email-masked] (preferred)
[email-masked] (alternate)
http://web.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm