Subject: tc-list AIBI 6 Conference/Call for papers

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:30:01 -0500 (EST)

Here's an annoucement about a conference that list members might be
interested in.

***********************************************************
James R. Adair, Jr.
Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion

Listowner, tc-list
***********************************************************

ASSOCIATION 
INTERNATIONALE 
BIBLE ET INFORMATIQUE (A.I.B.I.) 
c/o CIB-MAREDSOUS B-5537 DenŽe 
TŽl.: 32(0)82 69 96 47
Fax.: 32(0)82 22 32 69 
E-mail: [email-masked]

SIXIéME CONFERENCE INTERNATIONALE (A.I.B.I.-6)
SIXTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE (A.I.B.I.-6) 

THE BIBLE AND COMPUTERS: THE BIBLE FROM ALPHA TO BYTE (a new millennium) 
LA BIBLE ET INFORMATIQUE: LA BIBLE DE L'E ALPHABET Ë L'OCTET (un nouveau
millŽnaire) 
DIE BIBLE UND INFORMATIK: DIE BIBEL VON ALPHA BIS ZUM BYTE (ein neues
Jahrtausend) 

Stellenbosch, 17-21 July 2000
Conference Mailing Address: Prof. Johann Cook 
Department of Ancient Studies, Faculty of Arts, 
Private Bag XI, University of Stellenbosch, 
7602 Matieland, SOUTH AFRICA 
Tel.: 027-21-8083207
Fax.: 027-21-8083480
E-mail: [email-masked]

INVITATION
The A.I.B.I. invites you to participate in the 6th International
Conference on the Bible and Computers. It will take place in Stellenbosch,
South Africa from 18 through 22 July 2000. The Department of Ancient
Studies at the University of Stellenbosch will host this first conference
in the new millennium. Prof. Johann Cook will act as president and
organiser of this meeting. English will be the principal language of the
conference. However, contributions can also be presented in French,
Spanish and German. 
EINLADUNG
Die A.I.B.I. lŠdt Sie ein zum 6. A.I.B.I. Kongress, der vom 18. bis zum
22. Juli 2000 in Stellenbosch, SŸdafrika stattfinden wird. Die Abteilung
Antike Studien der UniversitŠt Stellenbosch wird als Gastgeber dieses
ersten Kongresses im neuen Jahrtausend auftreten. Prof. Dr. Johann Cook
wird als PrŠsident und Organisator des Kongresses auftreten. Englisch wird
die Hauptsprache des Kongresses sein, aber BeitrŠge dŸrfen auch auf
Franzšsisch, Spanisch und Deutsch angeboten werden.  

THEME 
The Bible from Alpha to Byte: 
The A.I.B.I. conferences have dealt with a number of issues over the past
15 years. The 1st meeting took place in Louvain-la-Neuve in 1985 and
concentrated on the TEXT. In 1988 in Jerusalem the theme was METHODS,
TOOLS and RESULTS. The conference in TŸbingen in 1991 had METHODOLOGICAL
ISSUES as its focus. In Amsterdam the IMPACT OF COMPUTERS ON BIBLICAL
STUDIES was considered and finally TRANSLATION AND TRANSMISSION was the
topic at the last meeting in Aix-en-Provence. The executive committee in
the persons of Johann Cook and Ferdinand Poswick met in Leiden in July
1998 and decided to be less prescriptive for A.I.B.I.-6. Seeing that we
are on the eve of a new millennium, it was decided to leave the field open
for creative and innovative topics. Contributors will be requested to
envisage the future of their research as broadly as possible in terms of
the evolution of technology, computers, internet, multimedia,
miniaturization, cultural pluralism, loss of text-literacy, massmedia and
constraints on the expression of opinion, new tools for exploring
archaeological materials, world organization of research and knowledge,
etc. In short, how should the Bible be made relevant via the computer in
the 21st century? 

THEMA 
Die Bibel von Alpha bis zum Byte: 
Die A.I.B.I. Kongresse haben in den letzten 15 Jahren eine Reihe von
Fragen untersucht. Der erste Kongress fand in Louvain-la-Neuve in 1985
statt und konzentrierte sich auf den TEXT. 1988 in Jerusalem war das Thema
METHODEN, WERKZEUGE und ERGEBNISSE. Der Kongress in TŸbingen im Jahr 1991
hatte METHODISCHE FRAGEN zum Thema. In Amsterdam beschŠftigten
KongressgŠnger sich mit der Frage Ÿber den EINFLUSS DER COMPUTER AUF
BIBLISCHE STUDIEN. †BERSETZUNG UND †BERTRAGUNG war das Objekt der
Forschung bei der letzten Begegnung in Aix-en-Provence. Das
Exekutivkomitee, Johann Cook und Ferdinand Poswick, ist im Juli 1998 in
Leiden zusammengekommen und hat beschlossen, Forschern mehr Freiheit zu
lassen bei der Auswahl der Themen fŸr die A.I.B.I.-6. Weil wir am Vorabend
eines neue Jahrtausends stehen, wurde beschlossen, Mitgliedern die
Mšglichkeit zu geben bei der Themenauswahl kreativ und innovativ zu sein.
Deshalb werden Beitragende gebeten, die Zukunft ihrer Forschung zu
konzipieren im Hinblick auf die Entwicklung der Technologie, Computer, das
Internet, Multimedia, Miniaturisierung, kultureller Pluralismus, Verlust
von Textbildung, Massenmedien und ZwŠngebei der freien MeinungsŠusserung,
neue Werkzeuge zur Erforschung von archŠologische Artefakten, weltweite
Organisation von Forschung und Wissen, usw. Kurz gesagt, wie sollte die
Bibel relevant gemacht werden mit dem Computer im 21. Jahrhundert! 

CONTRIBUTIONS
The conference will consist of two parts. The first two days (Monday and
Tuesday) will be taken up with practical workshops. On Monday morning
participants will be guided into the "mysteries" of computer know-how,
with emphasis on hands-on practical experience. In the afternoon Computer
and Grammar will be the theme. On Tuesday morning the Computer and
multi-media will be discussed, while the issue of the Computer and textual
issues will be addressed on Tuesday afternoon. 

The second part of the conference (Wednesday-Friday) will be structured as
follows: 

Section 1. Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. 
Section 2. The Greek Bible (Septuagint). 
Section 3. The New Testament. 

Each section will consist of a keynote address of 60 minutes, selected by
the executive committee. Thereafter short papers of 30 minutes will be
presented. 

Those interested in reading a paper should return the attached form with
the title and an indication of the content of the paper immediately to the
Secretary of the A.I.B.I.: A.I.B.I.-6 contributions c/o CIB-Maredsous,
B-5537 DenŽe - Belgium - Fax 32(0)82223269. E-mail [email-masked]

BEITR€GE 
Der Kongress besteht aus zwei Teilen. WŠhrend der ersten zwei Tagen
(Montag und Dinstag) werden einige "Workshops" stattfinden. Am
Montag-Morgen kriegen Mitglieder die Gelegenheit um die "Mysterien" der
Computer know-how zu bekommen. Hier geht es primŠr Ÿber praktische †bung.
WŠhrend des Mittags ist Computer und Grammatik zum Thema. Computer und die
Multi-media wird am Dinstag-Morgen am Schlag kommen. Schliesslich wird das
Thema die Computer und textuele Fragen angesprochen am Dinstag-Mittag. 

Der zweite Teil des Kongresses (Mittwoch bis Freitag) wird in folgenden
Sektionen strukturiert: 

Sektion 1. Die HebrŠische Bibel / Altes Testament. 
Sektion 2. Die Griechische Bibel (Septuaginta). 
Sektion 3. Das neue Testament. 

Jede Sektion beginnt mit einer "Keynote address" von 60 Minuten, die von
dem Exekutivkomitee gewŠhlt ist. Nachher kriegt Mitglieder die
Gelegenheiten fŸr kurze BeitrŠge von 30 Minuten. 

Diejenige die gern einen Beitrag machen mšchten, sollten unverzŸglich den
Abschnitt der letzten Seite zurŸckschickt an das A.I.B.I.-Sekretariat:
A.I.B.I.-6 contributions, c/o CIB-Maredsous, B-5537 DenŽe - Belgium - Fax
32(0)82223269. E-mail [email-masked]. Sie brauchen einen Titel und
einen Hinweis auf den Inhalt des Beitrags. 

DEADLINES 

1. 31 May 1999: 
Abstract submitted to the Programme Committee (A.I.B.I.-6, c/o Prof.
Johann Cook, Chairman of the Programme Committee, Department of Ancient
Studies, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag XI, 7602 Matieland, SOUTH
AFRICA. Fax-027-21-808-3480; e-mail: [email-masked]). 
2. 20 November 1999: 
Selection of papers by the Programme Committee. 
3. 10 January 2000: 
Submission of the final text of the summary of the contribution as it will
appear in the Programme to the Programme Committee. The summary should not
exceed two pages; it should be submitted in electronic format with a
specification of the programme used, etc. The heading should contain the
title, the author's name, address, institution and the title of the
contribution. 
4. 15 March 2000: 
Registration forms will be sent to all contributors and/or potential
participants. 
5. 31 May 2000: 
Draft of complete text of contributions to Prof. Cook. 
6. 22 July 2000: 
Camera ready text of contribution (hard copy and on disket). 
7. 30 October 2000
Final deadline for submission of contributions for publication by
CIB-Maredsous. 
These should either be "camera-ready" (A4 format, with a full and suitably
documented electronic version); or in the form of a Post-Script file which
should be well-documented (machine, environment, word processing or CAP,
version, file name), and with a hard paper copy enclosed. 
8. Publication: 
End of 2000, beginning of 2001. 

TERMINE 

1. 31. Mai 1999: 
Die Zusammenfassung des vorgeschlagenen Beitrags muss beim
Programmausschuss eingegangen sein (A.I.B.I.-6 contributions, c/o Prof.
Johann Cook, Chairman of the Programme Committee, Department of Ancient
Studies, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag XI, 7602 Matieland, SOUTH
AFRICA. Fax-027-21-808-3480; e-mail: [email-masked]). 
2. 20. November 1999: 
Entscheidungen des Programmausschusses Ÿber die EinfŸgung oder
NichtberŸcksichtigung der vorgeschlagenen BeitrŠge und Ÿber ihren Platz im
Programm. BestŠtigung bei den Beitragsautoren. 
3. 10. Januar 2000: 
Versand des endgŸltigen Textes der Zusammenfassung des Beitrags an den
Programmenausschuss. Diese Zusammenfassung sollte hšchstens 2 Seiten sein,
mit einer elektronischen Kopie des ausfŸhrlich dokumentierten Textes
(Textverarbeitungsprogramme, uzw); weiter muss die der Name des Autors,
Adresse, Einrichtung und die Titel des Beitrags umfassen. 
4. 15. MŠrz 2000: 
Versand des Einschreibungsformulars an alle Personen, die mšglicherweise
einen Beitrag leisten und/oder teilnehmen werden. 
5. 31. Mai 2000: 
Versand des vollstŠndigen Textentwurfes fŸr den Beitrag an den
Programmausschus (Prof. Cook). 
6. 22. Juli 2000: 
Hinterlegung entweder eine "Camera-ready" Text des Beitrags (Format A4,
mit einer ungekŸrtzten, ausreichend dokumentarisch belegten elektronischen
Kopie) oder in Form einer ausreichend belegten Post-Script-Datei
(Maschine, Umfeld, Textverarbeitung oder PAO, Fassung, Name der Datei) mit
einem Ausdruck des Inhaltes auf Papier als Anlage. 
7. 30. Oktober 2000: 
Schlusstermin fŸr die Hinterlegung der BeitrŠge, die in CIB-Maredsous
veršffentlicht werden sollen. 
8. Veršffentlichung: 
Veršffentlichung alle BeitrŠge am Ende 2000, oder beginn 1998. 

REGISTRATION
VENUE - COST
VENUE: 
Stellenbosch is a university town where approximately 15,000 students live
and study. The town is some 50 km from Cape Town at the foot of the
beautiful mountains in the Western Cape. It is 20 km away from the sea.
The University of Stellenbosch is situated 40 km from the International
Airport of Cape Town. All participants will be met at the airport and
brought to Stellenbosch. The time of arrival MUST be sent to the organisor
in advance. 
DATES: 
Workshops: Monday and Tuesday (18th and 19th of July) (traditional
barbeque Monday evening). 
Papers: Wednesday-Friday (20th -22nd of July). 
Excursion into the Stellenbosch wine district: Thursday afternoon. 
Banquet: Thursday evening. 
COSTS: 
Costs are naturally dependent on various factors. They will be determined
at the current exchange rate. 

a) Registration:
Includes the programme and summary of all contributions - organization -
coffee breaks - barbeque - excursion - banquet and subscription to the
Proceedings of the Conference. 
A.I.B.I. members: 
Before 30th of May 2000 = US$ 300 
After 30th of May 2000 = US$ 325 
Non-members A.I.B.I.: 
Before 30th of May 2000 = US$ 325 
After 30th of May 2000 = US$ 350 

b) Accommodation: 
There are numerous possibilities. As the conference is taking place during
the winter vacation of the university, cheaper accommodation in university
residences is available. The prices are as follows: 
Bed alone - US$ 20 
Meals: 
Breakfast - US$ 7
Mid-day: US$ 12
Evening: US$ 10 

There are also excellent hotels available in Stellenbosch for those who
want more expensive lodgings. Relevant addresses and information
concerning accommodation and possible excursions will be made available to
those who are interested. Stellenbosch is situated in the southern part of
South Africa. Excursions can also be made to the northern parts of the
country, such as the Kruger National Game Reserve. 

c) Flight costs: 
The organiser is currently involved in discussions with a travelling
agent. If tickets are bought in South Africa a discount of up to 15% can
be arranged. The name of the agent as well as applicable information will
be included in the brochure. People planning to come to SOUTH AFRICA will
be well advised to make use of these special offers. 

ANMELDUNGEN
STANDORT - KOSTEN 
STANDORT: 
Stellenbosch ist eine UniversitŠtstadt wo ungefŠhr 15,000 Studenten
studieren. Die Stadt ist 50 km weit vom Kapstadt in die Umgebung von
grossen Berge in die westliche Kap. Das Meer ist nur 20 km weg. Die
UniversitŠt Stellenbosch ist situiert 40 km weit vom internationalen
Flughafen von Kapstadt. Alle Mitglieder werden bei dem Flughafen abgeholt
und nach Stellenbosch gebracht. Die Zeit der Ankomst der KongressgŠnger
MUSST deshalb zu Programmausschuss geschickt werden. 
DATEN: 
"Workshops": Montag und Dinstag (18. und 19. Juli) (traditioneles Bratfest
- Montag-Abend). 
BeitrŠge: Mittwoch-Freitag (20.-22. Juli). 
Ausflug zum Stellenbosch Wein Bezirkt: Donnerstag-Mittag. 
Bankett: Donnerstag-Abend. 
KOSTEN: 
Kosten sind abhŠngig von vielen Faktoren. Der Richtpreis gilt unter
Vorbehalt der BestŠtigung beim Versand der Einschreibungsformulare. 

a) Einschreibungen: 
Umfasst der Programm und Zusammenfassung der BeitrŠge - Organisation -
Kaffeepausen - Ausflug - Bankett und Bezug der Aufzeichnungen des
Kolloquiums. 
A.I.B.I.-Mitglieder: 
Einschreibung vor dem 30. Mai 2000 = US$ 300 
Nach dem 30. Mai 2000 = US$ 325 
Nichtmitglieder von A.I.B.I.: 
Einschreibung vor dem 30. Mai 2000 = US$ 325 
Nach dem 30. Mai 2000 = US$ 350 

b) Unterkunft: 
Er sind viele Mšglichkeiten. Weil das Kongress wŠhrend der Winterferien
stattfinden werden habe die UniversitŠt Unterkunft in den
UniversitŠtswohnheime. Die Preise sind wie folgende: 
†bernachtung - US$ 20 (per Person) 
Mahlzeit: 
FrŸhstŸck - US$ 7
Mittags: US$ 12
Abends: US$ 10 

In und in der Umgebung von Stellenbosch sind manche Hotels und Pensionen.
Addressen und Information in Bezug auf Unterkunft und AusflŸge werden zu
denjenigen geschicht worden die ein Interesse haben. Stellenbosch ist
situiert in den sŸdlichen Teil von SŸdafrika. Es ist mšglich AusflŸge zu
machen zu den nšrdlichen Teile des Landes, z.B. nach dem Kruger nationale
Wildpark. 

c) Flugzeug Preise: 
Der Vorsitz ist zur Zeit beschŠftigt mit Diskussionen Ÿber billige Preise.
Wenn Billeten in SŸdafrika gekauft werden kann man bis 15% Rabatt
bekommen. Der Name des Vermittlers und passende Information wird zu
denjenigen geschickt werden die interessiert sind. Personen die planen
nach SŸdafrika zu reisen sollten diese Mšglichkeiten bedenken. 

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE / COMITƒ PROGRAMME / PROGRAMM KOMITEE
President / PrŽsidence / Vorsitz: 
PROFESSOR Johann Cook 
Department of Ancient Studies, Faculty of Arts, 
University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag XI, 
7602 Matieland, SOUTH AFRICA. 
Tel.: 027-21-8083207
Fax.: 027-21-8083480
E-mail: [email-masked]

Members / Membres / Mitgleiter 
Theo Bothma (University of Pretoria, SA) 
Ph. Cassuto (Aix-en-Provence, France) 
JC de Moor (Kampen, Holland) 
AD Forbes (Pasedena, USA) 
F Polak (Tel Aviv, Israel) 
R-F Poswick (Maredsous, Belgium)
H Schweizer (TŸbingen, Germany)
N Timmins (Edinburgh, UK) 
L Vegas Montaner (Madrid, Spain)
M Vervenne (Leuven, Belgium). 

 The Faculty of Arts of the University of Stellenbosch, where the
conference will take place, is situated in the center of the University
town. It accommodates the largest number of students (circa 3000) at the
university. It has excellent facilities available for the conference.
There are a large number of computers in large halls connected with the
internet. In addition smaller and larger seminar rooms are readily
available. All rooms are equipped with modern technology for the purposes
of communicating research results. 

This is a map of the location of Stellenbosch in relation to other main
centres in the Western Cape. 

Hombre men's residence is a brand new hostel in the main street of the
university campus, Victoria Street. It can accommodate 285 people in 86
single and 195 double rooms. It is a 10-minute walk to the Arts building
through the heart of Stellenbosch, student residences and other
facilities, such as banks, shopping centres, cinemas and restaurants. 

A.I.B.I.: 6TH CONFERENCE 
STELLENBOSCH: 18TH - 22ND OF JULY 2000 
CONTRIBUTION PROPOSAL 
PROPOSITION DE CONTRIBUTION 
Name: 
Mr., Mrs., Ms
____________________________________________________________________
Title:
___________________________________________________________________________
Address: ___________________________________________ Tel:
_________________________
___________________________________________________ Fax:
________________________
___________________________________________________ E-mail:
______________________

Proposes a contribution of 25 min. with the following title:

________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

This contribution would be appropriate for the following section(s): 
Section 1: The Hebrew Bible / Old Testament
Section 2: The Greek Bible / Septuagint 
Section 3: The New Testament / First Testament 

I will need the following hardware equipment for presentation:
_____________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

Please keep me informed about this A.I.B.I.-6 conference. 

Place____________________ Day: ____________________ Signature:
_____________________

Send back as soon as possible to: 
A.I.B.I.-6 Conference 
c/o CIB-Maredsous, B-5537 DenŽe-Belgium
Fax 32(0) 82 22 32 69 E-mail: [email-masked]