Subject: tc-list DuTillet Hebrew Matthew

From: James Trimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:20:43 -0600

All,

I am pleased to announce that the new (2nd) edition of my translation of
the DuTillet Hebrew manuscript of Matthew is about to be available.  

The DuTillet version of Matthew is taken from a Hebrew manuscript of
Matthew which was confiscated from Jews in Rome in 1553.  On August 12th,
1553, at the petition of Pietro, Cardinal Caraffa, the Inquisitor General ,
Pope Julius III signed a decree banning the Talmud in Rome.  The decree was
executed on September 9th (Rosh HaShanna) and anything that looked like the
Talmud, that is, anything written in Hebrew charaters was confiscated as
the Jewish homes and synagogues were ravished.  Jean DuTillet, Bishop of
Brieu, France was visiting Rome at the time.  DuTillet was astounded to
take notice of a Hebrew manuscript of Mattew among the other Hebrew
manuscripts. DuTillet aquired the manuscript and returned to France,
depositing it in the Biblioteque Nationale, Paris.  It remains there to
this day as Hebrew ms. No. 132. 
	While most scholars have ignored the DuTillet Hebrew version of Matthew,
two scholars, Hugh Schonfield and George Howard,  have stated their opinion
that this Hebrew text underlies our current Greek text.   Schonfield writes:

	...certain linguistic proofs... seem to show that the Hebrew text 
	[DuTillet] underlies the Greek, and that certain renderings in the 
	Greek may be due to a misread Hebrew original.  
	(An Old Hebrew Text of St. Matthew's Gospel,  Hugh Schonfield; 1927; p. 3-4)

Howard concluded  that DuTillet is a "revision of an earlier Hebrew
Matthew" related to the Shem Tob version (JBL 105/1 (1986) p. 63 n. 34).
Howard elsewhere states his belief that the Shem Tob text is a decendant of
a Hebrew text which served as a model for our present Greek text.

In my book THE SEMITIC ORIGIN OF THE NEW TESTAMENT I give a great deal of
evidence that the Hebrew text of the DuTillet descends from a Hebrew
Matthew which was Hebrew text behind our Greek Matthew.

The new edition will have:

	* A greatly revised and expanded introduction.

	* The typeset Hebrew text on parallel pages.

	* Revised translation (I have learned more in the nine years since the
	   first edition was published.

	* Typos have been corrected from the first edition.

	* The new title for the book will be DUTILLET HEBREW MATTHEW
	WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATION (The old title was B'SOROT MATTI;
	THE GOODNEWS ACCORDING TO MATTHEW FROM AN OLD
	HEBREW MANUSCRIPT).

	* The sacred name translated as YHWH in the english text.

	* Quotations from the TANAK are boldfaced and footnoted.

We are now taking prepublication orders for this important book.  To
reserve your copy
just send check or money order for $35.00 ($30.00 plus $5.00 Postage and
handling) made out to THE SOCIETY FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF NAZARENE JUDAISM
and mail to:

	SANJ
	Po Box 471
	Hurst, TX 76053
	USA

Please write "DUTILLET" in the memo of the check. 

James Trimm
==============================================
He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
and having found he will be amazed,        
and having been amazed he will reign,      
and having reigned he will rest.           
 - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews   
==============================================
The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
http://www.nazarene.net
A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
Check out our e-mail discusion groups.
==============================================
The International Nazarene Beit Din
http://www.nazarene.net/beitdin
==============================================
International Nazarene Congregation Directory
http://www.nazarene.net/directory.htm?
==============================================
Beit Netzarim Congregation in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
http://www.nazarene.net/beitnetzarim