Subject: tc-list LXX Psa 13.3 par. Rom 3.13-18

From: Peter Head <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:38:40 -0000

This verse in the LXX has a long section in parallel with Romans 3.13-18
(itself a catena of citations from Ps 5.10; 139.4; 10.7 (LXX9.28); Isa
59.7f; Ps 35.2). It seems to be present in all available LXX
manuscripts. 

The presence of this material in the LXX is somewhat unusual, although
since the LXX in the textual form available to us is essentially a
Christian production it is regularly the case that NT texts influence
the text-form of the LXX. It seems more unusual that a long collection
of "foreign" material would be included into the LXX. Justin Martyr's
famous "The Lord reigns *from the tree*" (Ps 95.1-; Apology I. 41; cf.
Dial. 73) might be a rather shorter parallel.

Does anyone know more about this sort of thing? Bibliography? (There is
a brief discussion in Rahlfs, _Psalmi cum Odis_ Goettingen, V&R, 1931,
pp. 30-32).

The verses also (according to BHS) found there way into 2 Hebrew MSS.
This seems even more unusual given Jewish resistance to the LXX because
of its friendliness to Christian interests (hence alternative Greek
translations: Theod. Sym. Aquil. etc.). What were these MSS? Do they
have other distinctive texts?

Any ideas would be welcome

Cheers

Peter

............................................
Peter M. Head
Oak Hill College
LONDON N14 4PS
[email-masked]
............................................

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:49:55 -0500 (EST)

> 59.7f; Ps 35.2). It seems to be present in all available LXX

I don't have immediate access to the Goettingen edition, but Rahlfs puts
the addition in brackets and indicates that it is missing from ms A.  The
note in BHS gives the faulty impression that these additional lines are
present in all LXX mss. 

******************************************************
James R. Adair, Jr.
Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
******************************************************

---

From: "Sipila Seppo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:26:47 +0200

> note in BHS gives the faulty impression that these additional lines are

In his Psalmi cum Odis Rahlfs says that the section is missing from the 
Lucianic text (including Theodoret's commentary on Psalms = L') and A' 
(= A 1219 55 + some fragments). The Lucianic text and the group A´ are 
closely related, however (see Psalmi cum Odis Prologomena § 8.1). 
Additionally, the Psalt. Gall. (acc. to ms. Vat.Reg. 11) marks the passage 
with an obelos. Rahlfs also add the following comment: ex Rom 3.13-18, 
ubi Paulus haec verba (= Ps 5.10, 139:4, 9.28, Is 59.7-8, Ps 35.2) cum 
Ps 13.3 inuxit, cf. proleg. § 4.4 et S-St. 2, p. 42. 229.

I.e. Rahlfs thinks that the passage is a christian addition borrowed from 
Romans and it therefore did not belong to the OG of Psalms.

Hope this helps,

Seppo

---

Mr Seppo Sipila
Department of Biblical Studies
University of Helsinki
[email-masked]
http://www.helsinki.fi/~sesipila/