Subject: tc-list symbol for YHWH is Pesher to Habukkuk

From: Fred P Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:16:09 -0400

Friends,

The Pesher to Habakkuk substitutes an unusual group of 4 symbols as a
symbol for the divine name YHWH which is never used in the text or the
"peshers." These symbols can be seen at the bottom of page 5 of the
Pesher to Habakkuk at the foillowing address.

http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/pesher6.htm

The symbols for the NAME are also described at the bottom of the
following page.

http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/pesherhab.htm

Can anyone tell me if these are used elsewhere and what may be written
about them. Are they actual letters or symbols?

Thanks

Fred P Miller

--
Fred P Miller
For Bible Study Majoring in Isaiah
Http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller

---

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:30:49 -0400

>http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/pesher6.htm

These aren't symbols- these are archaic Hebrew script spelling YHWH.  What
you see here- and this occurs in a great number of DSS materials, is the
archaic alphabet used to spell the name of God.  Further, you can, if you
wish, download the archaic hebrew font of jack kilmon if you visit
www.historian.net
and follow the downloads link.

>http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/pesherhab.htm

Well this isnt exactly accurate.  These are again not symbols but simply the
archaic hebrew script.  There is nothing mysterious here.

>about them. Are they actual letters or symbols?

They are actual letters.  They are used in lots of places.

>Thanks

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest