Subject: tc-list a visit to the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris

From: "Michael Burer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:37:52 -0500

Greetings --

I will have the fortunate privilege this summer of visiting Paris, and I
hope to visit the Bibliotheque Nationale and view some NT manuscripts. I was
able to go one day in the summer of 1997, but I did not have any success
(for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was finding the manuscript
library. It's a lot more difficult than one would think!) I would like to
solicit advice or suggestions from those who have visited on how to make the
most of a visit to that library: how to see an actual manuscript as opposed
to a facsimile or microfilm, how to purchase a microfilm, manuscripts you
would suggest viewing, etc. I would appreciate anything you think might be
helpful. Please respond off list since this is more of a personal request.

Best regards,

Michael Burer
Ph. D. Student
Dallas Theological Seminary
Dallas, TX, USA

---

From: Jason Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:02:18 -0400

Greetings,

I am currently engaged in a research project examining the potential of
encoding text criticism in SGML/XML for advanced scholarly electronic
access to biblical manuscripts.  My question is whether or not anyone is
currently undertaking a similar project in TC?  There are several excellent
projects being performed in other fields.  The potential research value of
encoding manuscripts to standards of textual criticism is, I believe,
tremendous.

Regards,

Jason T. Larson
The University of Kentucky

---

From: "Glen Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:12:25 -0600

Since there have been 2 requests about the Bibl. Nat., and I can 
remember my own trepidation and confusion when I made my first visit 
to PAris,  I will respond on list for the benefit of the younger 
scholars.  I have worked numerous times at the BN, most recently for 
2 weeks in Feb. of 1998.  I look for others to update, correct or 
supplement what I write below: 

>Michael Burer" wrote:
> library. It's a lot more difficult than one would think!)

While each European library has different guidelines for access to 
mss., those of the Bilb. Nat. are not unusual for a large library.  
The mss. reading room is presently, and will remain from all my 
information, in the old building in the Rue Richelieu.  There is some 
talk about moving into the first floor, but that was still talk the 
last I heard.   There is also some talk about moving the IRHT 
micorfilm collections to the same building, which would be a 
wonderful thing for all scholars.

Before going to the reading room, you must obtain a readers card at 
the first floor office.  There are several options, and you must pay 
for a two week, or one year card, etc. (I don't remember all the 
options), but the sums are reasonable.  Once you have your card you 
can take it up to the second floor reading room.  First check your 
coat on the first floor.

Inside the door of the reading room, the security person will take 
your card and give you a colored token with a number on it -- your 
assigned seat for the day.  If you have too many books, 
bags, etc., he/she will also give you a key to store those things in 
the lockers just outside the reading room.  You can then take your 
papers, pencils (no pens allowed), etc. with you to the assigned 
desk.

In the center of the reading room is a round desk with staff to 
answer your questions, but unless you hit it lucky, don't expect much 
help unless you know French (the same goes for the security people 
and all other staff on the second floor).  The walls are lined with 
mss. catalogs for your reference.  The desk at the far end of the 
room is where you fill out the forms to request mss.  The nearby card 
files will let you know which mss. are available on microfilm.  The 
last time I was there (Feb. of '98) was the first time that they 
insisted that I use microfilms when they were available.  Previously 
I could always see the ms. itself.  

After filling in the ms. request form, hand it to the staff at that 
far desk.  They will also take the plastic rectangle with 
your desk number on it and give you a similar one in a 
different color (one is orange, the other green).  You have to 
re-exchange those after handing in the last ms. for the day, so that 
you can get out the door again.  You can then sit at your desk and 
give them 15-20 minutes to have your mss. brought up from the vaults. 
I can't remember for sure, but I believe they deliver the mss. right 
to your desk.
 
You can use only a certain number of mss. per day (5, I believe).  
You can use several simultaneously if you are doing some sort of 
comparison.  While the lighting is not great and the room is not 
airconditioned, in general the working conditions and staff are quite 
good.  If they give you a microfilm, there are readers available to 
use them as well.   The staff will begin chasing you out a few 
minutes before closing, another time-honored European tradition.

At the center desk you can find a form for ordering photos and 
microfilms.  This can be filled out as you work.  Upon completion of 
your stay, the form is handed in at an office in the first floor 
courtyard.  They will total your order and you can pay at that time 
(even with credit card).  Your order will be sent to you a month or 
so later. 

Glen L. Thompson