Subject: Re: tc-list Uncial or Uncial?

From: Michael Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:40:20 -0500 (CDT)

At 08:08 AM 4/6/99 -0500, Jack Kilmon asked:
> "Uncial" has been used as a term for
>book hand Greek by every scholar I can think of, including
>Metzger, as far back as the science goes in publications.  I have 
>even seen it applied to Coptic by Irigoin and Turner.  If such is
>the case, isn't usage the determination of what is proper?

The (relatively recent) preference of many for "majuscule" likely reflects a
point of view expressed by D.C. Parker:

"It has long been habitual to describe this class of MSS as uncials. The
word's use has its origin in Mabillon's interpretation of Jerome's phrase
about MSS written _uncialibus litteris_.  Whatever the original meaning, a
consensus has emerged that the name should be applied only to a particular
kind of Latin majuscule. [he references: G. Cavallo and H. Maehler, _Greek
Bookhands of the Early Byzantine Period A.D. 300-800_ (University of London
Institute of Classical Studies Buletin Supplement 47; London:" Institute of
Classical Studies, 1987).] The word _majuscule_ should be used to designate
the class of Greek hands of which we write. It means "of fair size," as
opposed to minuscule, "rather small." (D. C. Parker, "The Majuscule
Manuscripts of the New Testament," in Ehrman and Holmes, _The Text of the NT
in Contemporary Research_, 22).

So "uncial" has gone from being a rather general term to a more precisely
defined technical term, and is in the process of being replaced for general
use by "majuscule."

Mike Holmes

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 08:51:44 -0500

> defined technical term, and is in the process of being replaced for general

Parker's usage in "Codex Bezae" made me think that he was
involved in this transition.  Because of the common origin
and calligraphic similarity between Greek and Latin hands,
I have never seen a problem using "uncial" for either but
if the majority of scholarship adopts this...hey, I'm
flexible. :)  Its going to take a long time though.

Jack

-- 
______________________________________________

taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]

http://www.historian.net

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:42:33 -0700

> flexible. :)  Its going to take a long time though.

Speaking strictly from the POV of language, it really doesn't matter 
how the term originated.  What is important is that all who are 
involved in the field understand how it's currently used.  As 
someone else pointed out, "uncial" has been the standard term for 
a particular Greek style of writing for over 100 years, which 
suggests that the word has assumed that meaning WRT Greek 
mss. and has transcended its original Latin connotation.  That's 
what words do, so I see no good reason to try and supplant it for 
the sake of its etymology.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
A Bible that's falling apart means a life that isn't.