Subject: tc-list Re: Fragments of Matthew located at Magdelan College, Oxford

From: "Nelson D. Roth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:56:30 -0400

I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.

Nelson D. Roth
[email-masked]

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

Nelson,

You might want to search the tc-list archives, since we've had several
discussions on this topic over the past few years.  Go to
http://www.egroups.com/group/tc-list and do a search for Magdalen (also
spelled Magdelan in some messages), Theide, P64, etc.  If you're a real
glutton for punishment, you can download the entire tc-list archive
from ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/pub/openhouse/tc-list and do
your own local searches (e.g., grep).

Jimmy

***********************************************************
James R. Adair, Jr.
Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion

Listowner, tc-list
***********************************************************

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:22:47 -0500

Thiede is all alone in his dating of the Magdalen Papyri.
A third century date is more likely.  His claim on palaeographic
grounds is much too narrow beyond the historical problems of
dating a Gospel written by a Greek-speaking Syrian diaspora
scribe to the 1st half of the 1st century.

Jack

-- 
______________________________________________

taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]

http://www.historian.net