Subject: Re: tc-list Comfort vs. Ruben Swanson

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 15:23:02 -0400

At 11:36 AM 5/22/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Comfort seems to accept partial letters that amount to no more than a
>few molecules of ink clinging to the edge of the broke fragment. Two
>examples can be found in P39 where in the first two lines of the verso
>(John 8:14 ff) Comfort reads partial letters (alpha) which Ruben Swanson
>does not accept as partial letters. What Comfort accepts as a partial
>alpha in the first line (see photo) does not seem to exist at all. The
>second line is probably more debatable.

The problem here is that we do not know what ms you are using, Ruben used,
or Comfort used.  Have you considered the possibility that his exemplar is
superior to yours or Ruben's?

>
>My question is really about Ruben Swanson. Are his works on the Gospels
>and Acts reliable or are they in the same ball park with
>Comfort/Barrett?

This rather negative (and I might add mildly pejorative) judegment seems
premature.

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest