Subject: tc-list Dating of p46

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 22:51:22 +0200

Someone asked me about P46 and the article:
Young Kyu Kim, "Palaeographical Dating of p46 to the Later First
Century,"
Biblica, Vol. 69, No. 2, 1988

What can be said about the dating?

Best wishes
    Wieland 
------------------------
Wieland Willker
mailto:[email-masked]
http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html
Egerton Homepage: http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html
Secret Mark Homepage: http://purl.org/WILLKER/Secret/secmark_home.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:58:13 -0400

Within the last two or three years, a careful paleographical presentation
was made at the SBL annual meeting which reaffirmed Kenyon's dating of P46
to ca.200.  I don't have the old program books handy, but perhaps someone
else on the list can supply the exact reference.  --Rod Mullen

---

From: Jeff Cate <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:59:30 -0700

Wieland,

Rod Mullen was referring to the presentation by Bruce W. Griffin (Oxford
Univ) "The Palaeographical Dating of P-46" at the '96 SBL annual meeting
in New Orleans. I don't have any transcript or hardcopy of the
presentation, but I remember it as a very well-argued presentation
despite the undesirable timeslot of 5:45 in the afternoon :-)

Jeff Cate, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Christian Studies
California Baptist University
Riverside, California 92504

On Mon, 24 May 1999 17:58:13 -0400 [email-masked] writes:
>>Secret Mark Homepage: 
>http://purl.org/WILLKER/Secret/secmark_home.html
>>
>>
>

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:30:20 +000

Yes, Griffin's paper on the palaeography of P46 was very 
persuasive, showing strong reasons for the common dating (early 
3rd Cent.).  An additional factor I pointed out in the SBL discussion 
of Griffin's paper is the form of the nomina sacra spelling of Iesous 
(IHS), which is probably best understood as a conflation form of the 
earlier practice of suspended spelling (IH) and the contraction 
spelling (IS).  This conflation form is to my knowledge otherwise 
attested in mss no earlier than very early 3rd cent.
Larry Hurtado

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]