Subject: Re: tc-list Comfort's book...

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:28:55 -0700

Mike Arcieri wrote:

>C/B had all the time (I suppose) to verify the accuracy of their 
>transcriptions before
>publication, to make sure that their 'house was in order.' If they 
>failed to review their own
>work and now are being chastised for mistakes, it is well deserved. 
>

It was my understanding that the book's release was delayed (twice?)
precisely because one or more of the pre-pub reviewers/editors had
discovered the same types of errors that Maurice found, and that is was
sent back to Comfort, et.al., to be fixed, ie., the papyri were supposed to
be re-examined/transcriptions corrected.  So either someone decided to turn
it loose finally without a complete rechecking or this *is* the rechecked
version.  In any case, someone has dropped the ball on this project, which
given the easily identifiable errors in the transcriptions, should have
exhibited virtual perfection.  

XAIREIN...

***********************************************************************
Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages        Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street                               Portland, OR  97220
Voice: 503-251-6416    FAX:503-254-1268     E-Mail: [email-masked] 
***********************************************************************

---

From: Mike and Jeanne Arcieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:22:11 -0400

> Dale M. Wheeler wrote:

Can you imagine the TC-LIST discussion if one of those pre-pub 
editions was the one published? ;-) ;-) Good thing they published the 
'corrected' edition... ;-)

(Just a joke, Jim, no need for any flame-throwing :-) )

Thanks for the info Dale.

Mike