Subject: tc-list Muller-Kessler &Sokoloff CCPA

From: Jean Valentin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mer, 5 Mai 99 23:23:31 +0200

Dear list members,

I would like to know if some of you have read reviews of the new edition of Syropalestinian biblical texts by Muller-Kessler and Sokoloff - or if some among you that use it have an opinion to share about it. The only thing I regret about those volumes is that finding a definite text is not an easy task. The indexes give the repartition of the texts in the manuscripts, and the mss are edited separately - which, I think, is a good idea - but no index (except if I haven't found the right way to do it) allows to quickly find all occurrences of a given passage in the volumes. On the other hand it's not so great a handicap, as there are not so many fragments after all.

I have the two NT volumes since a week now and am quite impressed. A technical question that I have is about the special font used for the syropalestinian text in those volumes. It imitates quite well the script. Is it a known, available font?

Thanks for your help,

Jean V.

_______________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
tel. 32-2-280.01.37
e-mail : [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop compliqué est inutilisable"
_______________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Leonard Greenspoon)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:32:29 -0500 (CDT)

ALLOW me, as TC book review editor, to use this occasion to point out what
has been, for me, the most disappointing aspect of my "job."  More than a
year ago,I sent out for review two volumes in the series commented on
below.  In spite of my repeated (and, I think, friendly) reminders, no
reviews have been forthcomiing..as a result, the value of TC to provide
timely reviews of relelvant books is diminished..just a thought, leonard
greenspoon

>Dear list members,
>
>I would like to know if some of you have read reviews of the new edition
>of Syropalestinian biblical texts by Muller-Kessler and Sokoloff - or if
>some among you that use it have an opinion to share about it. The only
>thing I regret about those volumes is that finding a definite text is not
>an easy task. The indexes give the repartition of the texts in the
>manuscripts, and the mss are edited separately - which, I think, is a good
>idea - but no index (except if I haven't found the right way to do it)
>allows to quickly find all occurrences of a given passage in the volumes.
>On the other hand it's not so great a handicap, as there are not so many
>fragments after all.
>
>I have the two NT volumes since a week now and am quite impressed. A
>technical question that I have is about the special font used for the
>syropalestinian text in those volumes. It imitates quite well the script.
>Is it a known, available font?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Jean V.
>