Subject: tc-list The Book at Issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:32:13 EDT

Lets talk about this book empirically. Is there an available book of superior 
quality? Is it useful to people at least to the point where these 
discrepancies make a difference to their research? Can they be corrected by 
an addendum?

Regards,
Tony Prost
All Nonnos All Day
http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html

---

From: M A Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:30:08 EDT

On Thu, 20 May 1999 15:32:13 EDT [email-masked] writes:

>Lets talk about this book empirically. Is there an available book of 
>superior quality? 

The transcriptions of the _editio princeps_ scattered in various volumes
are of course useful. But for the papyri of John, the IGNTP volume is
clearly the source to which to turn. Also the Muenster volumes for the
Epistles on papyrus are the best source. All these of course are much
more expensive than the C/B volume.

> Is it useful to people at least to the point where these discrepancies
make a > difference to their research? 

C/B can be used as a rough (and generally [98%] accurate) guide to the
text and contents of any MS cited therein. Just be careful not to cite
any reading as that of a given MS without confirming such in another
source.

>Can they be corrected by an addendum? 

This of course is possible, and I alluded to that in my comments. Whether
anyone will be inclined to go over C/B with the proverbial fine-tooth
comb and compile such a list is another matter.

==============================================================
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph. D.
Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA