Subject: RE: tc-list Scribal tendencies - Christian Ethics?

From: "Lamerson, Sam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:09:14 -0400

Another perhaps fruitful approach might be to consider the question of the
ethics of scribes who were intentionally changing manuscripts which they
considered to be Scripture.  Did the scribes see the ethical problems
inherent in intentional changes?  Or did they see these changes as ethically
necessary as a result of the problems that the unchanged passage might
cause?  

Just a thought

Sam Lamerson
Knox Theological Seminary

Professor Sam Lamerson
Knox Theological Seminary
"Where Ministry Comes First!"
1 800 344-KNOX (5669)
--------
From:	TOMMY MARKANZIA REKLAM HB
Sent:	May  6, 1999 9:37 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Cc:	
Subject:	tc-list Scribal tendencies - Christian Ethics?

Dear subscriber!

I - a Swedish student of theology - is presently working on an essay in
ethics. Since I am very interested in the area of textual criticism I am
trying to connect the areas of scribal tendencies in the textual
transmission of NT, and the development or elaboration of christian
(orthodox) ethics in the early church.

I have read two of Bart D. Ehrman´s essay´s concerning text and
tradition in the early church, which show that various concerns in the
church (sociological, doctrinal etc) are mirrored in the way scribes
transmitted (omitted, amended or changed) the original text. This was
indeed interesting for me - the idea of using textual criticism with
another aim than just trying to secure the original text.

Anyhow, now I am supposed to write an essay in ethics and I would like
to ask the subscribers of the list for a piece of good advice. Do You
think it would show fruitful to investigate if some textual variants
(and if so, where should I look for them in the NT) have bearings on the
history of ethics in the early church. The oppression of women, or
antisemitism could indeed belong to the subject, but if we define ethics
more narrowly to designate moral life of the Christian. Perhaps You have
some suggestions for my study of literature.

I hope You understand my query, in spite of my poor knowledge in
English. I thank You for Your contribution in the research of a subject
which I take great interest in.

With regards

Tommy Wasserman

---

From: "Lamerson, Sam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:05:50 -0400

Just a thought

Sam Lamerson

Dear subscriber!

With regards

Tommy Wasserman