Subject: Re: tc-list Comfort vs. Ruben Swanson

From: "Perry L. Stepp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:14:34 -0400

>My question is really about Ruben Swanson. Are his works on the Gospels
>and Acts reliable or are they in the same ball park with
>Comfort/Barrett?

At some point, Vincent Broman (is Vincent still on the list?) checked
samples of Swanson against the NA27 and Tischendorf 8th.  His general
impression was that Swanson's volumes were slightly less accurate than the
other two, but still quite reliable.

I wish I could find the exact figures and procedure he used.  I can't
remember if he described them in a private note to me, or in his review of
Swanson in the TC Journal.

PLStepp

---

From: M A Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 21:50:36 EDT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 14:14:34 -0400 "Perry L. Stepp" <[email-masked]>
writes:

>impression was that Swanson's volumes were slightly less accurate than 
>the other two, but still quite reliable.

>From my discussions with Swanson a couple of years back, his point was
that there would be differences between what he reported and what
appeared in NA27 or Tischendorf, since his reading of the films of the
MSS at times differed from the printed text of both those editions. I am
not sure whether he meant only in the area of orthography (which
definitely is one known situation), or in what we would term real error.

==============================================================
Maurice A. Robinson, Ph. D.
Professor of Greek and New Testament
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

> samples of Swanson...

Lurking lately, but here.

The review article can be found in TC vol 1 at
http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/scripts/TC/vol01/Swanson1996rev.html .

Vincent Broman                                       San Diego, California, USA
Email: broman at sd.znet.com (home)       or spawar.navy.mil or nosc.mil (work)
Phone: +1 619 284 3775                       Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W
=== PGPv2 protected mail preferred. For public key finger me at np.nosc.mil ===