Subject: tc-list Scribal tendencies - Christian Ethics?

From: TOMMY MARKANZIA REKLAM HB <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:30:56 -0400

Dear subscriber!

I - a Swedish student of theology - is presently working on an essay in
ethics. Since I am very interested in the area of textual criticism I am
trying to connect the areas of scribal tendencies in the textual
transmission of NT, and the development or elaboration of christian
(orthodox) ethics in the early church.

I have read two of Bart D. Ehrman´s essay´s concerning text and
tradition in the early church, which show that various concerns in the
church (sociological, doctrinal etc) are mirrored in the way scribes
transmitted (omitted, amended or changed) the original text. This was
indeed interesting for me - the idea of using textual criticism with
another aim than just trying to secure the original text.

Anyhow, now I am supposed to write an essay in ethics and I would like
to ask the subscribers of the list for a piece of good advice. Do You
think it would show fruitful to investigate if some textual variants
(and if so, where should I look for them in the NT) have bearings on the
history of ethics in the early church. The oppression of women, or
antisemitism could indeed belong to the subject, but if we define ethics
more narrowly to designate moral life of the Christian. Perhaps You have
some suggestions for my study of literature.

I hope You understand my query, in spite of my poor knowledge in
English. I thank You for Your contribution in the research of a subject
which I take great interest in.

With regards

Tommy Wasserman

---

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:41:44 +000

In addition to the variants you alluded to (1 Cor 14:34-35 on 
women; anti-Jewish variants in Codex D) which reflect "ethical" 
issues, you might also consider the variation in the "apostolic 
decree" in ACts 15:29.  The absence (omission?) of "things 
strangled" may indicate a list of "moral/ethical" commands 
(idolatry, murder, fornication), whereas the presence of "things 
strangled" appears to make the list one of "clean/unclean" 
concerns.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Ulrich Schmid)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 18:37:24 +0200

To my mind, one of the most complex textual problems involving ethics are the 
synoptic sayings on marriage and divorce (Mk 10.2-12; Mt 5.27-32; Mt 19.3-9; Lk 
16.18). Here you can study the quest for ethical implications of (competing) 
readings along with the vexing problem of harmonization.
In addition, there are very good expositions of the problem extant.
I may recommend
M.W. Holmes, "The Text of the Matthean Divorce Passages: A Comment on the Appeal 
to Harmonization in Textual Decisions", in: JBL 109 (1990) 651-64; and
D. Parker, The Living Text of the Gospels, Cambridge 1997, pp.57-94.

------------------------------------------
Dr. Ulrich Schmid
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:19:31 -0500

YOu mentioned two of Bart Ehrman's essays, have your read his An Orthodox
Corruption of Scripture?