Subject: Re: tc-list Comfort's Book Let Comfort in (Rev. 3:20)

From: [email-masked] (Jim Oxford)
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:38:53 -0500

At 4:28 5/21/99, Dr. Ulrich Schmid wrote:

>What's the use of having Comfort/Barrett presenting their case on this list?
>(Of course, they can do; no censorship intended). They had ample space to
>present their case in the book they published. Now it's up to the public to
>evaluate the merits and the shortcomings of their work. At least that's
>the way
>it used to be before the invention of electronically mediated (scholarly,
>literary, artistic, etc.) discussions. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I feel
>uncomfortable too having a painter explaining what he or she REALLY wanted to
>depict/convey/articulate/deconstruct, etc.
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------
>Dr. Ulrich Schmid
>[email-masked]

Dr. Schmid,

I believe that any time someone who has just published something is called
"brainless," that particular individual does indeed have the right to
defend himself/herself in the venue in which such ad hominem comments were
made.

Regards,

Jim Oxford, Jr.

Jim Oxford
Ph D candidate in NT
Baylor University
[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Kilmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:58:28 -0500

> defend himself/herself in the venue in which such ad hominem comments were

I think the criticism of Comfort's book may be exaggerated.  Is this book focussed

entirely on aspects of TC which IS concerned with minor transcriptional errors?
As an "informed" layman and not a textual scholar, an opus that covers the
earliest
mss in one work is a valuable resource.  I had no idea that P4, P64 and P67
likely came from the same codex.  As a tolerable palaeographer, I am able to
examine the scripts of these mss in one work rather than dozens of separate
treatments.  If there are transcriptional errors such as a double eta, rather a
transcriptional, editorial or printer's error, it seems to me a subsequent
publication
of an errata will correct the problems.  I think the bolder approach to dating is
refreshing and appears to be well substantiated against other texts.  This ability

to compare the scripts of various mss in one opus is extremely informative
to me.

Jack

--
______________________________________________

taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon

Jack Kilmon
[email-masked]

http://www.historian.net