Subject: Re: tc-list A translation cannot can be better?

From: Jean Valentin <[email-masked]>
Date: Ven, 4 Jun 99 13:29:31 +0200

>I have come across this King-James-Only FAQ:
>http://www.aloha.net/~bstaggs/kjb-faq.html
>
>Oh, well...
>
Strange indeed... The morality of the story is that you need to know English in order to be a good christian... Thanx a lot for us all who speak other languages! Should we laugh or cry?

Jean V.

_______________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
tel. 32-2-280.01.37
e-mail : [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop compliqué est inutilisable"
_______________________________________________________________

---

From: "Bauer, Marc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:43:25 -0600

Dear TC-List'ers,

The following very snipped post reminds me of the "liberal" bias that some
of us fundies take of many of us TC-List'ers.  Really for the love of God,
I'm not sure who's more dedicated and pure of heart.  Of course, _I_ cannot
measure the purity or dedication of anyone including myself so I'm
continuing to be baffled by this "hee-hee" kind of posting.  I'm not wanting
to take anyone to task, or at least, don't mean to be seeming to be taking
anyone to task:  I'm just amused.

I did forward the KJV FAQ posting to my independent fundamentalist Baptist
preacher of an uncle (Baptist Bible College, Springfield, MO, 1963).  He'll
get as big a kick out of it as we have gotten.  Hope this isn't too-oo-oo
off list.

Cheerio, ye lassies and laddies,

Bauer

PS: Tulip is intentional, of course, as is the 63.  I know _y'all's_ proud
of me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wieland Willker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 5:02 AM
To: TC-List
Subject: tc-list A translation cannot can be better?

Oh, well...

Some highlights:

"A translation cannot only be "as good" as the originals, but better."

"The English language had been developing for many centuries until the 
late sixteenth century.  About that time it finally reached a state of 
excellence that no language on earth has ever attained.  It would seem 
that God did the rest.  He chose this perfect language for the 
consummation of His perfect Book."

"The two most prominent of these, Vaticanus, which is sole property of 
the Roman Catholic Church, and Sinaiticus, are both known to be 
overwhelmed with errors.  It is said that Sinaiticus has been 
corrected and altered by as many as ten different writers.  In 
Vaticanus is found the evidence of very sloppy workmanship." 

"Most existing manuscripts of the Bible are divided into two 
"families." These families are generally represented by the cities of 
Alexandria, Egypt; and Antioch, Syria.
   The two Bibles, in manuscript form, and their corresponding ideologies 
originate in two vastly different locations in the Middle East--
Alexandria, Egypt; and Antioch, Syria.  Discerning which location 
gives us the perfect Bible and the correct ideology and which gave us 
the devil's bible and incorrect ideology is one of the easiest tasks 
imaginable."

"QUESTION:  Aren't today's scholars better equipped to translate the 
Bible than the King James translators were?
Most Christians agree that the world, with time, degenerates.  Morals 
have degenerated since 1611.  Character has degenerated since 1611.  
Even our atmosphere has degenerated.  Are we then to believe that 
education has gotten better?  Only a worshipper of education could 
pretend to believe such a fairy tale.  Education has degenerated along 
with the entire world system and could never produce a scholar equal 
to those of nearly four hundred years ago."

"Now, it will be noted that, there are some Bible colleges and
universities which have a policy of confiscating books which support
the view of a perfect Bible."

Hear, hear!
Enjoy it all at the above URL.

Best wishes
    Wieland
--------------------
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/