Subject: Re: tc-list N.T. Graece Inquiry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:54:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/99 11:49:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<< 
 In essence, the committee was certain that these passages (Mark 16:9-20,
 John 7:53-8:11, etc.) are not part of the original text of the New
 Testament. (Whether they are right is another question, but it's not
 at issue here. :-) >>

As point of reference, Nonnos in his Paraphrase of John, c. 450 A.D. does not 
appear to have had these verses available in the text which he paraphrased.

Regards,
Tony Prost
All Nonnos All Day
http://membes.aol.com/tonyprost

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:46:20 EDT

Greetings all,
   Sorry to be so slow to reply, I've been out of town.
Tony Prost remarked:

"As point of reference, Nonnos in his Paraphrase of John, c. 450 A.D. does 
not 
appear to have had these verses available in the text which he paraphrased."

To which I might easily reply, "The same can be said of Phillip Schaff"

Regards,

Mark Hays

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:03:41 EDT

Greetings,
    Thank you for your responses to my query. I am not trying to trick anyone 
with "trick" questions. My request was a sincere one, in that I would like to 
know if any of you have an idea as to how they came to their conclusion about 
the verses in double brackets.
    Bob Waltz replied to my original question with (in part):

"It is not, of course, KNOWN. A better statement would be that the
committee is certain that these are additions"

     Which of course prompts me to ask," How, were they "certain" of this? I 
am not asking anyone to defend their decision, but if possible to help 
provide me with the rationale for it. I cannot ask the commitee members, now 
can I? I certainly hope that you gentlemen can help, as this is a serious 
issue that needs to be resolved, in my own mind anyway. Are there any 
rescources that you know of that might help?

Sincerely,

Mark J. Hays