Subject: Re: tc-list Mt 17.2 Tatian and Legg

From: Jean Valentin <[email-masked]>
Date: Jeu, 3 Jun 99 18:31:49 +0200

>did you check the Arabic Harmonies? In D. Plooij, A Primitive Text of the 
>Diatessaron, Leyden 1923, p. 54 I found the following remark (s.v. Mt 
>17.1f) : 
>"The Arabic Tatian has combined the 'snow' and the 'light of lightning'."
>
Ulrich,

You're correct. The Arabic harmony does exactly what you say. I don't know why I didn't see it - probably because Marmardji ascribes it to Luke and not to Mt.
Interesting is that my Arabic version retains only the lightning, and not the snow.

Thanks for the tip. 

Jean 

_______________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
tel. 32-2-280.01.37
e-mail : [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________
"Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop compliqué est inutilisable"
_______________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (U.B.Schmid)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:41:54 +0200

Jean Valentin wrote:
> You're correct. The Arabic harmony does exactly what you say. I don't know
>  why I didn't see it - probably because Marmardji ascribes it to Luke and not
>  to Mt.

Jean,

have you considered the possibility that Marmardji is correct in ascribing the 
reading to Luke 9.29? How would you translate the participle EXASTRAPTWN 
(ASTRAPH meaning "lightning", cf. the Latin composita with "fulgens" or 
"scoruscantia" [d])in Syriac/Arabic? Maybe your Arabic manuscript (and/or its 
Syriac Vorlage) simply got harmonized with the Lukan account. Just a guess... 
------------------------------------------
Dr. Ulrich Schmid
[email-masked]