Subject: tc-list Colossians 1:20 & P46

From: Doug Petrovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:39:55 -0000

Dear List Subscribers,

According to UBS3 & UBS4, in Colossians 1:20 P46 is listed as supporting
the inclusion of the variant di' autou.  But in Comfort and Barrett, the 
transcription of P46 omits this second use of the prepositional phrase
"through Him."  Being that I live in Russia, I am not able to consult Kenyon's
"The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri: Descriptions and Texts of Twelve
Manuscripts on Papyrus of the Greek Bible:  Fasciculus III:  Pauline Epistles"
(London:  Emery Walker Limited, 1936) to see what the facsimile reads.

Does anyone who is located near a library with this volume have a minute
to consult the reading in P46 and let me know what he/she finds?  The
Textual Commentary follows the UBS texts in attributing the phrase to P46.
However, the choice of the committee to include the variant evidently was
challenged by a vocal minority.  Robert Waltz will be greatly disappointed
to know that the variant was indeed upgraded from a D to a C rating.

Yours in Novosibirsk,

Doug Petrovich
[email-masked]