Subject: Re: tc-list Electronically available manuscripts

From: Jean Valentin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mar, 27 Jul 99 13:34:21 +0200

>If anybody know of any available ASCII-ed manuscripts (of the more
>important species), please let me know.
>

Wasn't there a member of the list that made a transcription of Mt 
according to W and made it available on a web site? 

Jean V

_______________________________________________________________
Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
tel. 32-2-280.01.37
e-mail : [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________

---

From: Vincent Broman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:20:59 -0700 (PDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> according to W and made it available on a web site? 

I did Matthew in W, using SGML/TEI.
Find it under http://www.znet.com/~broman/manuscripts.html .
A guy in Washington state is doing more work on W.
Finney's transcriptions of Hebrews are the biggest corpus
of public transcriptions, except they are in a not very easily
accessible format, yet.

The ENTMP, Electronic NT MS Project, exists to
present and promote public transcriptions and images of
NT MSS, but the WWW site has been moribund for a while.

Vincent Broman                                       San Diego, California, USA
Email: broman at sd.znet.com (home)       or spawar.navy.mil or nosc.mil (work)
Phone: +1 619 284 3775                       Starship: 32d42m22s N 117d14m13s W
=== PGPv2 protected mail preferred. For public key finger me at np.nosc.mil ===

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:18:49 -0500

On 7/29/99, Vincent Broman wrote, in part:

[ ... ]

>of public transcriptions, except they are in a not very easily

Actually, they are in Collate format, which is machine-readable,
and can be read by human beings with practice. :-)

There are two difficulties, one real and one trivial. One is
that Collate-readable files really require a special font. Tim
Finney uses Sinaiticus, which he supplies for Macintosh. If
someone knows of a PC font for use with Collate, let people
know. :-)

The other problem lies in reading BinHexed StuffIt files.
This isn't a real problem; StuffIt Expander (which is free,
and will handle BinHex and StuffIt files *and* convert Mac
to PC text formats) is available at

www.aladdinsys.com 

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:33:03 -0700

> NT MSS, but the WWW site has been moribund for a while.

The last time I tried it, it was nonexistent.  I'm not sure what 
happened; I trascribed at least half a dozen mss for it, and James 
Tauber and I were working on getting them into SGML when 
suddenly everything stopped.  A while back I was contacted by a 
member of this list about possibly putting some of the material on 
some of my web space; I said I'd be glad to, and that's the last I 
heard of it.  So I'm not sure what the status of that project is.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
A Bible that's falling apart means a life that isn't.