Subject: tc-list Super-Database

From: Mike Bossingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:55:55 -0400

Hi,

I have just been awarded my doctorate for the design of such 
a database. This stores variants from a base text and allows some
work to be performed in a piece of software supplied with it.

The format of the data is simple and open - meaning that it can
be used by other programmers to analyse information in ways
that I could only dream of.

However there is a more pressing need than just a data-base. The
shelf life of a data-base is very short - in TC terms that is. So any
major project could outlife the life of the database that is storing
the data.

What really is needed is a internationally agreed transfer format
for variants so that valuable data can be moved around world from
data-base to data-base. No varinat should then ever be loaded into
a data-base that does not offer a reading and writting facility to and
from the internationally agreed standard. It is only by woking in this 
way that we can be sure that such effort would not be lost when the 
technology takes another quantum leap.

I am a double graduate (Theology and Computer Science) and I am
willing to offer my services in such a project, to help in whatever
way a can  - But please remember that first and foremost I am a 
Methodist Minister in Circuit Ministry.

Regards

Rev Dr Mike Bossingham

PS - Don't even consider scanning - it is light years away
from being able to be used on manuscripts, except for digital
imaging.