Subject: Re: tc-list re: barrett's response

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:42:31 -0400

At 11:49 AM 7/16/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Good question. But you know life is short and there are a lot of books
>to burn. Perhaps one of us should get our hands on one of the recent
>pubs of the TC elite and work it over a little J. Derrida style. Could
>be fun, don't you think?

Nah- just look for typos--- you will find some in any book.  But anyway, the
silence itself speaks volumes doesn't it?

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

---

From: "Robert B. Waltz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:10:30 -0500

>silence itself speaks volumes doesn't it?

And here I hoped this thread would die the quiet death it deserved....

There is something this defense misses: It came from *the author of
the book*. Not exactly an objective source.

The truth is, we are still in the situation we have been in all along:
We are waiting for a full and objective review. The only thing that
we have learned from the whole debate is that the book does not indicate
uncertain readings. Now I would say that, given the state of the papyri,
that would eliminate it from consideration right there. But of course
this is a matter of opinion.

But let's keep in mind: We have had no controlled review (a controlled
review consisting of a test of certain manuscripts against their
published texts; it does *not* consist of a handful of readings where
the book is correct) -- and until we do, both praise and criticism of the
book are premature.

The one thing I would say is that, given the uncertainty about the book,
I would not risk buying it until the real reviews (not preliminary
reviews) are in.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                        Robert B. Waltz
                     [email-masked]

Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn
(A site inspired by the Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism)

---

From: "James R. Adair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:12:27 -0400 (EDT)

I don't usually do this, but since this book has generated great interest
on the list, I'll make a brief pre-publication announcement.  TC will
publish a full review of Comfort/Barrett very soon, hopefully within the
next two weeks.  The chief delay in publication has been my inability to
get the tagging done in a timely manner due to numerous other commitments. 
Summer vacation? ... 

Jimmy

***********************************************************
James R. Adair, Jr.
Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
---------------> http://purl.org/CETR <---------------

General Editor, TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
------------------> http://purl.org/TC <-------------------
***********************************************************