Subject: Re: tc-list Jesus is better.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:43:24 EDT

In a message dated 99-07-05 17:05:34 EDT,Bob Morse wrote:

<< My thanks for all the valuable information you have made available.
 
 I especially appreciated Mr. Robert B. Waltz's contribution of 1 Jul
 1999. In explaining why critical editions of the NT have placed double
 brackets about certain passages, he notes--very significantly--that the
 passages "tend to make Jesus what we consider a better person...." No
 doubt. This being so, the passages would seem to share in the work of
 the Holy Spirit, of whom the Lord said, "...he will glorify me...." (Jn.
 16:14). Since evidence of inspiration is further evidence of canonicity,
 we have an extra reason for regarding the passages as canonical--the
 word of God, and not forgeries. Thank you, Mr. Waltz.
 
 Bob Morse >>

AAAAmen Bob, and just think, this is in addition to all of the internal and 
external evidence that also show the passages in "question" to be the real 
McCoy. Actually this is what prompted my original question concerning the 
rather dogmatic remarks in NA 27 concerning the certainty that they were not 
in the originals.

Mark J. Hays

---

From: "Mark Proctor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:03:07 -0500

I'm probably not the only one that finds this message odd and off topic.
What, one might ask, does the topic of inspiration have to do with the
practice of textual criticism?  Furthermore, it's somewhat unprofessional to
refer to "certain passages" without mentioning which ones and then make
innuendos about the motivations of the editors of UBSGNT4 and NA27.
Finally, the last time I checked it was still the case that the orthodox
status of a variant reading had no bearing whatsoever on its claim to a
place in the critical text.  Please don't try to make doctrinal matters a
part of the practice of textual criticism.  Instead, try reading Bart
Ehrman's book, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture.  In closing, if
orthodoxy is and has always been the litmus test for "divine inspiration,"
what are we to make of the Church's (or by extension God's) participation in
the Holocaust.  Think these things through, please.

Mark Proctor

---

From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 07:22:28 -0400

Godwin's law for the Internet states that any meaningful discussion has
run its course when someone directly or indirectly compares the other
side to Hitler.  If I may suggest, this has happened here.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:[email-masked]
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35