Subject: tc-list Scholarly Reprints

From: Andrew Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:36:37 -0500

I recently received a catalog from "Good Books" out of Springfield, IL
which is marketing "quality secondhand religious books."  I believe the
"secondhand" nature means that these volumes are xerox copies of
out-of-print books.  The first 8 pages average about 10 books per page
and primarily deal with text critical issues of the New Testament.  With
only a few exceptions, most of the books were published in the 19th
century.  As a general rule, judging from book descriptions, the company
appears to be more supportive of the Textus Receptus than critical
editions.  They offer all three volumes of Tischendorf's 8th edition for
$150. (There are other works by other authors).

My question is this: I have never heard of Good Books and I don't know
if -- for example -- an 8th edition Tischendorf can be found for less
than $150 among used book circles.  BTW, I'm probably not interested in
a Tischendorf.

Can anyone tell me anything about this company?  I know that xerox
copies are at best a second-generation of an unknown-quality original.
Is this something worth my time?  Or my money?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Payne