Subject: Re: tc-list TR

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:50:49 -0400

At 10:13 PM 8/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks, Jim; come to think of it, I'm really seeking an analysis of the
>TR that points up its deficiencies.  I too eschew it strongly.  I just
>need to marshal my argument from "the usual sources."  Warmly,  
>Norm

I hope you did not take my answer as a put off-- instead my intention was to
disqualify myself as a commentator on the subject because when it comes to
the TR and the whole Byzantine tradition I find it impossible to be
impartial- and you deserve an impartial explanation- which i clearly cannot
provide.

best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

---

From: TOMMY MARKANZIA REKLAM HB <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 00:10:33 +0000

Jim West wrote:

> impartial- and you deserve an impartial explanation- which i clearly cannot provide.

I have found the article by Daniel B. Wallace: "The Majority Text
Theory: History, Methods, and Critique" (p. 297-320) in "The Text of the
New Testament in Contemporary Research", ed. Ehrman & Holmes, Eerdmans
1995, very helpful as a means of introduction or "explanation" for
anyone who is following the recent discussion on the list, concerning
TR, KJV, Byzantine tradition, Majority text etc. The same author (Daniel
B. Wallace) has submitted some articles on the web: 

http://bible.org/docs/soapbox/soaptoc.htm 

(though I would rather recommend the written article). 

With regards

Tommy Wasserman
(I must tell You American TC´rs that the supposed "Swedish cook" in the
Muppet Show was´nt speaking a word in Swedish)

---

From: "Mr. Helge Evensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:41:20 -0700

> (though I would rather recommend the written article).

Uh, I have seen this article, but, you know, its main goal is just to try 
to explain away the evidence for the majority text! It adds little to the 
old debate, as usually! I rather trust Burgon....or Hills, or even Letis.

-- 
- Mr. Helge Evensen