Subject: Re: tc-list My 3 problems -- regarding Freer 016

From: "Bruce Prior" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:10:54 PDT

>From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: "tc-list" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: tc-list My 3 problems
>Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:04:10 -0700
snip:
I would like for the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (connected
>with the Smithsonian) to share all of the photographs of codex 016, (they
>claim they have no photographs) or even to rephotograph it.

Gary and the group --

As far as I can ascertain, it is true that no photographs of 016 have ever 
been taken.  When Henry A. Sanders did his transcription, he was working 
with the original manuscript, and did the best job he could with his own 
eyes.  I assume in consultation with photographer George R. Swain, Sanders 
concluded that the leaves could not be photographed and published in a form 
which would be more useful than Sanders' transcript.

The important research aspect of 016 is possibly recoverable text in the 
charred edges of the extant leaves which Sanders was unable to read.  We now 
have multispectral scanning capabilities which I think could usefully be 
applied to 016.  There is no Greek scholar on the staff of the Arthur M. 
Sackler Gallery and the Freer Gallery of Art, whose joint archives hold the 
manuscript leaves.  I have in mind going to Washington to take on the 
challenge of a proper publication of 016, including computer-enhanced images 
and a new transcription, after I complete my current transcription/facsimile 
project on 032.

J. Bruce Prior, Phd  in Blaine, WA
[email-masked]

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com