Subject: tc-list The Comfort/Barrett book

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:37:43 +0200

Our Library has now obtained the Comfort book and I have looked at it.
Some short observations from a layman:
1. I welcome a book like this.
2. This book does NOT look like if it is the result of "after 15 years of
labour".
3. The biggest concern I have is that I would like to see the differences of
the presented texts to NA-27. (This is not a question of space! Almost half
of the book is plain blank!)
4. I haven't checked for errors myself but after reading the reply of
Comfort to Parker's review I think their views of the IGNTP volumes are
quite different. Parker sees almost no errors and Comfort sees hundreds. So
I conclude the truth is somewhere in the middle and there are maybe as many
errors in the IGNTP and in Comforts book. This is ok for me, if error lists
are provided. (Is there an error list of the IGNTP volume of John available
somewhere?)
5. Comfort has a problem with the target group of this book. No real layman
needs this book. But the introductions are basically written for layman and
are far too short to get enough information.
6. I think I don't need to buy this book for myself. It is enough to have it
in the library. But I've got the impression that one should consult it if
one wants to work with P66 and P75 (and maybe others).

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
--------------------
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/