Subject: RE: tc-list-digest V4 #100

From: "Matthew Anstey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:40:18 -0700

Gday all,

Just to follow up on what Kevin wrote, let's hear from the KJV translators
themselves, from their introductory essay on translation, which
unfortunatley was dropped at some stage through the KJV's 100+ revisions:

"Neither did we think much to consult the translators or commentators,
Chaldee, Hebrew, Syrian, Greek, or Latin, no, nor the Spanish, French,
Italian, or Dutch; neither did we disdain to revise that which we had done,
and to bring back to the anvil that which we had hammered: but having and
using as great helps as were needful, and fearing no reproach for slowness,
nor coveting praise for expedition, we have at length, through the good hand
of the Lord upon us, brought the work to pass that you see."

>Actually the King James translators used at least four different printed
>editions of the Greek test
>
>1. The Stephanus text of 1550
>
>2.The Beza editon of 1589
>
>3.The Complutensian Polyglot of 1514-1522
>
>4. The various editons of Erasmus (1516, 1519 etc.)
>

With regards,
Matthew Anstey

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:36:44 EDT

In a message dated 99-08-04 12:42:12 EDT, you write:

<< was dropped at some stage through the KJV's 100+ revisions: >>

I might note: Not "revised", but rather "edited", hence editions, not 
revisions.

Mark Hays