Subject: Re: tc-list Re: The 3 TC problems

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:18:41 -0400

At 04:11 PM 8/30/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Of course methodology is important. What I meant was:
>If you have three wishes of small fragments (some verses) from the
>autographs, which ones would you choose?
>
>Best wishes
>    Wieland

I would like to have ANY of the autographs.  But 1) how would we know we had
an autograph?  2) What difference would it make if it were proven to be the
autograph?  After all, the various texts we have are windows on the beliefs
of the communtities that produced them.  Scribal changes tell us a lot more
about early christianity then a perfect succession of completely identical
documents.

If you mean- which mss would we like to SEE- I would purely love to have a
copy of P92.

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

---

From: [email-masked] (U.B.Schmid)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:07:16 +0200

Jim West wrote:
> an autograph?  

This is, indeed the most intriguing question. In my view our concept(s) of 
autographs need to be thoroughly readdressed.  

>2) What difference would it make if it were proven to be the

What do you mean? Are you talking about texts or manuscripts or both?

------------------------------------------
Dr. Ulrich Schmid
[email-masked]