Subject: tc-list Preferred LXX readings

From: "Matthew Anstey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:17:24 -0700

Gday all,

I am working for SIL on a software program for Bible translators (BART 2.0),
and we need some advice as to textual witnesses. We are wanting to two sorts
of LXXs loaded into the program so translators could see for example Joshua
Vaticanus and Alexandrius renderings on either side of the BHS. There would
only be two versions when there were two different LXX readings. Now,  one
of these LXXs would be the major one, and the other minor. Our question is,
which would be the major and minor ones for OT books. For instance, UBS in
their software Paratext 5.0 has Joshua B in the main list, and Joshua A at
the end with teh deuterocanonical books. But they have Judges A in the main
list, and Judges B in the deuterocanonical. (Vaticanus & AlexandSimilarly,
what shall we do with say Daniel Origen/Theodotian, Susanna
Origen/Theodotian, etc.  Neither myself nor SIL have enough TC skills to
know what to do with the various LXXs here. Any help on or off-list would be
most appreciated. Ideally, a list of all OT books with the two major LXX
witnesses with one marked as major and the other minor is what we want to
end up with. However, I'm not sure just how many electronic LXXs we have
access to.

With regards,
Matthew Anstey
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
on behalf of Summer Institute of Linguistics.
BART (Biblical Analysis and Research Tool) Software Development
Carl Follingstad, Coordinator  [[email-masked]]
Todd Hoatson, Programmer [[email-masked]]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------