Subject: tc-list More on Comfort's work

From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:52:09 -0700

I just read Parker's detailed review of Comfort's (et al) book.
Generally it is a fine review, I have not as yet seen the book. I have not
purchased it as I had earlier received a distinctly negative sensation when
examining some of P. Comfort's earlier works. I believe it was: EARLY
MANUSCRIPTS AND MODERN TRANSLATIONS.
    My only complaint about some of Comfort's efforts, is that he does not
spend enough quality time doing original research on the manuscript. He
misses so much evidence seen with the actual manuscript, that one wonders if
Comfort even uses the actual manuscript (or film). He seems at times, to
rely upon the work of others. An example, he describes his earlier work with
P46, he journeyed to the University of Michigan, but instead of actually
viewing and directly collating the original ms., he uses their library copy
of Kenyon's excellent facsimiles!
    At I Corinthians 13:5, in P46, Comfort misses the reading of these 3
minuscules: 876,  999, and 1241c.  They offer an interesting support for
P46's  reading of *eusxhmonei* for the more common,  *asxhmonei*.  Support
for P46 can also be found in the Greek as written on the Island of Thera in
which the eu- *prefix* is correctly au- in their dialect. Further the
Vulgate's *ambitiosa* supports an original
*eusxhmonei*, and at least one Syriac writer supports P46s reading.
    Finally, the internal context lends support to P46s reading as meaning
""does not behave with decorum" (as Metzger suggests).
    Comfort's latest work, according to Parker, seems to continue Comfort's
lack of thoroughness. He also seems to withhold information from the reader.
It also gives the impression that he has actually indeed reproduced the
*earliest* text (as it existed in Egypt).
    I want to encourage Comfort to continue in his efforts, but I also would
like to see more professional acumen. Working with the text of God's word is
serious business. From my experience with his past efforts, he may be giving
non-specialists numerous false impressions. Not a happy charge!

at your service,
Mr. Gary S. Dykes