Subject: tc-list One More Time

From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:00:03 -0400 (EDT)

Dr. Prior asked that I re-post an image of the relevant portion of Codex 01
(Sinaiticus) which shows the words in the discussion concerning Mt. 6:28
(and P. Oxy 655).

You can view the image at http://purl.org/TC/extras/Mvc-003f.jpg.

It is a very low resolution image taken from Lake's facsimile edition, it is
a screen shot from my film reader. In the film (and not very well in the
shot) the viewer can see the line which reads thusly:

....OYPWSAYXA

it has no visible "O" under the alpha following the sigma. If it is there it
is not visible in this film nor in Reuben Swanson's film.  However, the two
final letters "XA" are not in the same instance (or, incident) as the rest
of the text. They are in narrower letters (the strokes are narrower) the ink
is lighter, and they are written with a bit more caution, perhaps he/she
just prepared the point of the stylus as he/she inserted the true reading
(the correction). Thus, it seems to me that an erasure did occur here.
Without a copy of Skeat's UV photo we cannot determine with any certainty if
Robinson's conjecture is correct.  Do note that the first alpha in the shot
shows some damage to its lower bowl stroke, and that there is no "dot"
following the "X", (that was on my lens in the original shot).

For P. Oxy 655 Willken gives fine evidence, and from both of these texts,
Robinson's position is on very shaky ground, too many "ifs".

I will behave myself and not share again my thoughts about the validity of a
"Q" myth.

at your service,
Mr. Gary S. Dykes