Subject: tc-list Oxyrhynchus Statistics

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:10:48 +0200

This is on my rough count the statistics of the theological fragments found
at Oxyrhynchus (1 - 4449):

NT-Papyri: 	40 (Mt: 11; Jo: 10; Rom: 3; James: 3, Hebr: 2; Rev: 2...)
NT-vellum: 	7
NT-Apocrypha: 	24 (Hermas: 7)
OT-LXX: 	21 (1-5Mose: 9; Psalms: 6)
OT-Apocrypha: 	4 (Tobit: 2)

other theol. fragments: 27 (homilies, prayers, hymns...)
Philo: 	3

Most of the fragments are dated to the 3rd or 4th century. Some are dated
2nd cent. and some 5th and 6th. Two OT-LXX fragments are dated 1st century
(POxy 3522 and 4443).

It is interesting that only one late fragment from the prophets (Amos, POxy
846, VI cent.) has been found. I would have expected at least some Isaiah.

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
--------------------
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/

PS: Please check out my list of NT Papyri at:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/Papyri-list.html

I still don't know what P99 is. Anyone?

---

From: "Glen Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:06:05 -0600

Thanks for the statistics, Wieland.  However we need to be cautious 
about statements like:

>It is interesting that only one late fragment from the prophets 
>(Amos, POxy 846, VI cent.) has been found. I would have expected at 
>least some Isaiah.

One must beware of assuming that what was found is what has been 
published.  A wealth of material is still awaiting publication.  Some 
of the more recent editors have had little interest in theological 
material and therefore bypassed it in the publication process.  
The current editors are remedying that situation.  I have been 
assured that some major New Testament material is still in the 
process of being published -- at least as exciting as the large 
Revelation text in the most recent volume (which I have not seen 
yet).  

Glen L. Thompson