Subject: tc-list A Reply to Waltz and Arcieri's

From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:16:36 -0700

Robert Waltz wrote:
>Again, to ask a stupid question, If you trust the Holy Spirit to
>tell you what the Bible says, how can you trust the Bible in the
>first place? If the Spirit tells you that 1 Corinthians 12:3 "ought"
>to read "It is only by the Holy Spirit that one can say 'Jesus be
>cursed,'" how can you prove that wrong? The Spirit told you to
>do it! (And it is no good to say, "No, the Spirit didn't," because
>while I freely concede that it didn't tell *you* that, there is
>no question that others have gotten different messages. The
>point is, how can you, without some form of non-spiritual
>criteria for judgment, tell a "good" spirit from a "bad"?)

>I find this attitude utterly incomprehensible -- and dangerous.

Sir,
    For starters, you seem to have read into my statements meanings which
were not there, and then you ignored other statements which would have
answered your questions to begin with. I said that the Holy Spirit is one
tool of many, but it is a tool that only elected saints can employ, which
theoretically can give them an advantage, IF they are mature and obedient
saints.
    The Holy Spirit *tells* me nothing audibly, nor is He some compelling
force. He is like a still small voice which gently guides in extremely
subtle ways. For Jesus Christ said to His 11 that the coming Holy Spirit
would assist them in their understanding of the Word (John 14:26,  16:13). I
realize that this is incomprehensible to you, but there is a symbiotic
relationship betwixt God's Word and the indwelling Holy Spirit found in each
elected person.
    Further, it appears that you are not aware of the struggle between the
"fleshly mind" and the "mind of the Spirit": because a saint is not able to
always correctly discern which is which, nor to always control his/her
fleshly mind (thus Paul's lament in Romans 7) those saints who declare that
such and such a reading is correct because it was confirmed to them
personally by the Holy Spirit, may be just expressing their youth or zeal.
    After years of reliance upon the Holy Spirit AND the canons of textual
criticism, I feel that I personally have a better grasp of numerous variants
than most pagan Bible scholars (I make a distinction between pagan and
elected Bible scholars). This does not mean as you wrongly surmise, that I
feel superior or that I am absolutely certain my research is absolutely
correct. It is just that I as a believer, have an extra assurance, a
Comforter. I wish you did too, for had you a relationship with the Author of
the Bible, you would understand how the Holy Spirit can assist. It is like a
woman telling a man what it is like to menstruate, he may nod in agreement,
but does he REALLY understand the experience?
    In closing, a dangerous sign to me, is encountering someone who does not
read all of a text, but who sees only what he/she wishes to see. You are
confusing me with some unfortunate experience you may have suffered, or with
some imagination you created.

A Mr. and Ms. Arcieri wrote:

>I infer that your methodology is:

>1 - apply the canons of TC on a select group of variants in order to
determine which reading is >the 'original';
>2 - 'consult' the Holy Spirit with regards to identifying the original
reading.

>Now since I have your methodology in theory, can you now demonstrate the
_practical >workings_ of this
>for the following passages?:

>1. Matt. 27:35 ('that it might be fulfilled...')
>2. John 5:7-8 (Johannine Comma)
>3. Acts 8:37 ('and Philip said...')

Dear Arcieris:
   I focus upon the Pauline corpus, and am often current with most
exegetical problems in the Pauline texts. For me to due justice to any of
the Gospel portions, I would need to spend some quality time familiarizing
myself with the primary witnesses (or a select group of representative MSS.
Then I would begin to study the style of the human agent in question (Mt,
Mk, Lk, or Jn).
    In a basic analysis I would rely upon my own personal theology as well,
that is my understanding of some basic theological essentials (like inerranc
y, the Trinity, eschatology, et cetera. A Discourse Analysis (that is
determining the Author's intent) is always necessary in any critical
analysis, but for mature elected saints, the Word of God requires little
discourse analysis, for many of us intuitively know what God's intentions
are, especially if we have spent years of original Bible study.
    The 3 samples you suggest, will probably never be satisfactorily
resolved for all inquirers. This does not mean that they are unresolved for
me as a believer (for I already have some preferences which may be
premature). The original reading is probably not ambiguous, not one with
multiple interpretations. It may be the easiest reading, or the more
difficult.
    Your "consult the Holy Spirit" is possibly confusing. The Holy Spirit
constantly guides me in all aspects, from the initial collation, to the
proof-reading. He also convicts me, and corrects me. I do not actually pray
and ask that the results be made error free and perfect (my research), for
that is vain. But I do ask for His assistance throughout the ENTIRE process.
    Each mature elected saint, whom God has so gifted to perform this
ministry for the Body of believers, has his/her own spices to add. These
differing opinions, from mature, trained saints, can be used by God to
generate study, meditation, and growth. we (the elect) need to continually
be feeding upon the written Word, and variants promote study and discussion.
In hopes that the name of God might be glorified, and often upon the lips
and in the hearts of His elect.
    In Matthew 27:35 lie a whole cluster of variants, often interdependent,
just "shooting from the hip" I would suspect that the LXX type addition is
not genuine here, it probably was a marginal note (the quote source), and
later crept into some MSS. (from Psalms 22:18)
    The Johannine comma, I retain, but I am not sure where, but I see it as
genuine.
    Acts 8:37 is much more difficult, and I am not able now to offer an
initial suggestion, but it seems severely liturgical, possibly an addition.

    The above are three initial suggestions, further study would certainly
clarify the matter for me, but "consulting the Holy Spirit" is not some sort
of automatic option. And if you claimed that I thought the  above 3
suggestions are the error-free results of the Holy Spirit working within me,
then you also may not be able to comprehend how the "still small voice"
works in the bosom of an elected (chosen) person. My fleshly mind hinders
me, and human logic often clouds the truth, and my fleshly nature opposes
the indwelling Spirit, but sometimes He prevails, and my resulting work is
exactly as He wants, for I seek to please him, not my judges (I Corinthians
4:4,5).
    I hope this assists you, and feel free to insist on more from me. I have
numerous solutions to many of the Pauline conundrums.

at your service,
Mr. Gary S. Dykes   [email-masked]