Subject: tc-list Original Text

From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:49:58 +000

RE: the recent discussions here on what we mean by "original 
text" and whether/how we think we can address them, all serious 
readers are directed to the newly published article by E. J. Epp, 
"The Multivalence of the Term 'Original Text' in New Testament 
Textual Criticism," _Harvard Theol. Review_ 92(1999): 245-81.
I responded to a slightly earlier version of this essay at the 1998 
SBL session on NT textual criticism, and indicated then where I 
have reservations about this or that in Eldon's discussion (e.g., I 
think he is *far* too accepting of Koester's datings, & arguments).  
But, as with anything else by him I've read, Eldon has again given 
us all some well-researched and thoughtful analysis of a major 
question.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place 
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail:  [email-masked]