Subject: tc-list Munster and others

From: "Vinton A. Dearing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:55:08 PST

My experience at Munster was similar to Glen Thompson's, and I have 
very happy memories of the kindnesses extended to me by Kurt Aland 
and his staff. I remember Dr. Aland saying more than once in our 
conversations "but, but, but," and have always wondered if he would 
have said "aber, aber, aber" if I had been at all fluent in German 
(obviously I still am not). I do not tell this to criticize his  
English, as I hope you will recognize. I also remember that he asked me 
specially to be careful to return material I had taken from the 
shelves to its proper place and when I almost at once put something 
back wrongly left my internal shame to be my only reprimand. The 
staff at Munster arranged for a local film shop to make copies of 
their films when they were not restricted by the holders of the original 
manuscripts. 
     Vinton A. Dearing

---

From: "Maurice A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:01:34 EDT

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:55:08 PST "Vinton A. Dearing"
<[email-masked]> writes:

>The staff at Munster arranged for a local film shop to make copies of 
>their films when they were not restricted by the holders of the 
>original manuscripts. 

Does this policy still hold? It had not been mentioned to me while there,
but if so, this would go a long way to help scholars who might require
copies of MSS which are otherwise freely available (cost of duplication
and mailing would still be a factor, of course). My understanding was
that, as a general policy, no copies of any films were being made,
regardless of restriction, but what Dr Dearing mentions would seem a more
proper course, at least in regard to those films which have no
restrictions attached (I would assume that there would be some list which
clearly identifies files as being with or without restriction regarding
duplication).

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.

---

From: Klaus Wachtel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:00:48 +0100

> clearly identifies files as being with or without restriction regarding

The 'policy' is not to copy microfilms for use outside of the institute. The
reasons have all been mentioned before, above all restrictions by the owners
of the originals.

Klaus Wachtel
Institut f. neutestamentliche Textforschung