Subject: tc-list ABMC and IGNTP: A Response

From: Kristin De Troyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:37:09 -0700

To the TC List Membership, a Response to Gary Dykes:

On Friday, September 17, Mr. Gary Dykes posted a message to the TC List 
entitled "A Lamentation and a Warning," which was critical of the Ancient 
Biblical Manuscript Center (ABMC), especially in terms of its role as 
repository of the microfilm collection of the International Greek New 
Testament Project (IGNTP).  As Director of the ABMC, I offer the following 
response.

The ABMC is a non-profit research organization which preserves and provides 
access to photographic and digital images of manuscripts from Jewish and 
Christian antiquity.  At its office on the campus of the Claremont School 
of Theology, Claremont, CA, the ABMC maintains a climate-controlled vault 
which is home to an extensive collection of copy images of manuscripts.

The ABMC is official repository of the microfilm collection of the 
International Greek New Testament Project.  The ABMC serves the IGNTP by 
circulating films from its collection to IGNTP collators, and in turn is 
able to provide access to other qualified researchers.

In his remarks, Mr. Dykes describes the poor condition of many films from 
the IGNTP collection.  While in general most films of the IGNTP collection 
are sufficient for the needs of most users, there is no reason to deny that 
the problems noted by Mr. Dykes exist in the collection.  Unfortunately, 
Mr. Dykes is unaware that steps to remedy these problems are underway, and 
his remarks do not recognize the history of the IGNTP collection.

The IGNTP film collection has a long history.  A large percentage of the 
films are celebrating their fiftieth birthday.  It is important to 
emphasize that the collection was developed as a use and circulation 
collection to support a specific project.  The problems described by Mr. 
Dykes result from fifty years of use by scholars.  During its history the 
collection has also been maintained by four different institutions.  The 
ABMC is the first facility providing the films a proper storage 
environment.

With hindsight, we can lament the fact that early strategists of the IGNTP 
did not take steps to ensure the existence of an archival set of films, at 
least for those items of the IGNTP collection which would be most difficult 
to replace.  However, the task now is to ensure the integrity of the 
collection as a resource for present and future scholars.

Happily, in the last two years, members of the IGNTP have initiated such a 
program.  A complete review of the films is underway.  Problems are being 
recorded, and damaged films are being repaired.  Probably most important, 
the generosity of several individuals has made possible new acquisitions. 
 These acquisitions are being used both to replace damaged films and expand 
the collection.

During the collection's tenure at the ABMC, limited efforts have been 
undertaken to address problems in parts of the collection.  Funding and 
staff resources have not been adequate to initiate a comprehensive program. 
 It is a great pleasure for ABMC staff to be able to work with the IGNTP to 
effect a review, repair, and acquisitions program.  Even now, the work 
needs greater support.  But at this time the talents of individuals of both 
IGNTP and ABMC are being brought to bear.

As Mr. Dykes stated in his posting, he visited the ABMC on 9/16/99.  During 
his visit he did not ask about the status of the IGNTP collection or 
efforts to conserve it.  I am pleased to report these good things to him 
and all the participants on this list at this time.

Michael B. Phelps
Director, ABMC
email: [email-masked]
phone: 909-621-6451
fax: 909-621-1481

---

From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:23:27 -0700

Mr. Michael B. Phelps wrote (in part)
> and all the participants on this list at this time.

Good to hear from you!  I did not ask because I supposed that the good news
would have been announced in one of your "THE FOLIO" editions, if it was I
missd it. But I just assumed that the collection was still in its state as
it had been. Indeed this is good news!

Mr Phelps also wrote:

Mr. Dykes replies:
That would be months after I contacted the secretary of the IGNTP. (after
May 1996). Would you mind being more specific, did McReynolds himself
suggest improvements? (You may respond off line). I would be honored to know
that my concern may have contributed to the on-going improvements. But you
did not mention if any policy changes were also implemented. Does the IGNTP
still send out its original (master film)
to inquirers? Or are they insuring that they are kept safe by NOT sending
them out. And those who are checking the present films and their status, are
they newly
'hired" by the IGNTP, or is there no new personnel involved?

I hope the collection forever remains there, and I hope you continue to
preserve it, but I am encouraged by your post, I was not so critical of the
ABMC, it is/was the IGNTP peoples who seemed to have formed the archiving
policies, you could only work with what you have.

In closing, ALL TC-list pastors, here is a splendid opportunity to be of
service. Consider taking up an occasional donation for the ABMC!!!  It
really holds a national and Judeo-Christian treasure.  Support is also
needed for the Mt. Athos digitizing project. As mentioned earlier, it is not
easy to enter the Mt. Athos complexes and to view and collate their
holdings. But imagine 20,000 plus manuscripts being digitized and placed in
all of their glory on the Internet for ALL to see!!!  A dream, yes. The ABMC
is now beginning this process, and they need help in doing so. Mr. Phelps is
of course the source for more detailed information on this exciting project
of great importance to all NT scholars in the whole world.

at your service,
Mr. Gary S. Dykes   [email-masked]