Subject: Re: tc-list LXX of the Orthodox Church

From: "Steve Puluka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:24:01 PDT

>From: Richard J Saley <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: tc-list LXX of the Orthodox Church
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:02:01 -0400
>
>Does anyone know of a study of the textual characteristics (e.g., OG,
>kaige, Lucianic, hexaplaric, etc.) of the version of the LXX used by
>the Orthodox Church?
>
>Any information be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Dick Saley

In my own study of my Eastern Churches tradition, Jellicoe, The Septuagint 
in Modern Study has proved useful.  I am not aware of a study that details 
what text traditions are used in the lectionary of our various churches.

In the United States my jurisdiction is currently undergoing a complete 
review of English translations in our Liturgical services.  I have heard 
from a member of this Liturgical Commission that the scripture quotations 
used in various services, and even different parts of the same service, can 
be traced to different text sources.

This can also occur in the Lectionary itself.  You will note from Jellicoe's 
study (and Metzgers Early Versions of the New Testament) that much of the 
Slavonic translation of scripture is based on the Vulgate rather than the 
Septuagint directly.  Therefore, Eastern Churches from slavic countries have 
a different text usage than those from Greece, the middle east or Egyptian 
varieties.

Since the use of the Septuagint over the MT was not seriously challanged in 
the East before the Reformation, the official declaration of preference for 
the Septuagint text did not occur until the Council of Jerusalem in the 
mid-1600's (1647 if memory serves).  The text variants in use by the various 
jurisdictions have never been officially addressed.

Perhaps this adds more confusion than clarification, but I'll try again if 
you have more questions.

Sincerely,
Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com