Subject: Re: tc-list End of the Tunnel

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:01:18 -0400

At 10:56 AM 9/28/99 -0400, you wrote:

Dykes opines....

>>Without colophon(s), special research is required,
>>of which you are apparently naive of. 
>

Maurice responds...

>It seems I already addressed this point, and agreed on the importance of
>determining provenance by colophons, palaeography, and a multitude of
>other means. Did you miss that point?  *Me* naive?  I suppose I am; I'm
>responding to this discussion, right? I give up....

Just one thing.  Maurice and I have disagreed on more than one issue- but
his abilities in matters TC exceed nearly every person I know.  In fact,
only Kurt Aland was as good as Maurice at the actual practice of textual
criticism.  So for Dykes (whos abilities are unknown) to say that Maurice is
naive exceeds the limits of decency.  

What Maurice says carries great weight with me (and Im sure he is surprised
to hear it).  Far greater indeed than anything Dykes could hope to say.

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

---

From: "Maurice A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:18:52 EDT

>Just one thing.  Maurice and I have disagreed on more than one issue- 

An understatement :-)

[Extremely excessive egregious/erroneous encomium eliminated]

Some things are quite surprising. For once Jim speaks well (too well) of
me, and exceeds all bounds of reality. I don't know half as much about
textual criticism as I should, and no comparison should be made among any
of us who are working in this field. Knowing that I know far less than I
should (or ever will),  I remain only one who trudges along, breaking up
some ground.... 

>What Maurice says carries great weight with me (and Im sure he is 
>surprised to hear it).  

There are more surprises in heaven and earth, Horatio, than I have
dreamed of in my philosophy....The end of the world must be near. :-)

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.