Subject: tc-list External and internal evidence vs. emendation

From: [email-masked] (U.B.Schmid)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:41:20 +0200

Dave repeatedly appealed to internal and external criteria (evidence etc.), it 
seems, in opposition to emendation. I would be grateful to learn how a 
combination of internal and external criteria can rule out emendation, if that's 
what is intended, or how the mentioned criteria exactly contribute to getting 
beyond the extant textual transmission (papyrus curtain).

------------------------------------------
Dr. Ulrich Schmid
[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Washburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:04:58 -0700

> beyond the extant textual transmission (papyrus curtain).

Oh, come on.   Read Metzger or any other introduction to textual 
criticism.  Are we now casting off everything that has been 
established, treated and dealt with by those who went before us?  
I'm not a professional textual critic, but I have read enough and 
looked at enough mss etc. to understand that an awful lot has 
been accomplished toward the task of getting back to the 
autographs.  If you intend to start over from square one, building on 
the assumption that that "papyrus curtain" is as far back as we 
can get, don't expect too many to follow you.  I'm letting this one 
drop, as well.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Ich veranlassenarbeitenworken mein Mojo."