Subject: tc-list More on American Responsibilities

From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:53:00 -0700

Jim West wrote:

How odd. I thought the days of American "Splendid Isolationism" had died
decades ago. The tone of Gary's post borders on the near offensive- as it
denotes a sort of arrogance which we can ill afford in today's world.
Nationalism and the like are fine so far as they go- but utterly
unproductive when it comes to sharing scholarly resources. Munster has
EVERY right to refuse to mail things!!! I wouldnt mail a valuable
manuscript film to the next town! In illustration- I was sent a book by a
colleague in Canada. The package arrived- with some book I had never heard
of in it!!! After putting a trace on the book, we discovered that envelopes
had been opened at the postal service and my book and another had been put
back in the wrong pacakages!!!! Can you imagine some slack jawed mouth
breather in upper slobonia getting a Munster film by mistake while Mr Gary
gets the latest issue of Field and Stream with the expanded hunters guide to
wild duck....

Munster has every right to do with its holdings what it pleases. It is
ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Mr. Dykes' reply is:

    Materials which are of great importance for humanity should never be
hoarded. Your isolationist views regarding Biblical films is depressing.
What you mistake for nationalism, is just a simple reality. Do you expect
Biblical scholars in Germany to support the ABMC's collection and to build
it up? Would you expect the folks in Chile to support it with their hard
earned incomes? The ABMC is an American tax deductible institution, existing
on American soil. However it benefits all humans. You too can help all
peoples access their films when you send in your donations to the ABMC
(especially with their new Mt. Athos digitizing project). No one is asking
you to mail any films. Mr. Phelps can only work with what he has, and if the
IGNTP does not provide for the care of their films then where, Jim will you
turn to?? The institutions which do mail out films via Inter Library Loans
have the proper insurances and protective measures in place so that all
peoples can access what you wish they could not.  I for one am glad you are
not a librarian! But then again have you any need for Biblical films, as I
know some scholars could care less if the Bible is preserved in any format.

    Surely you must be aware that the originals (the master negatives)
should never be mailed out, or did you only read part of my original post.
I do not think Munster would act as foolishly as you would, they would
surely only mail out a circulation copy. You too are in need of new eye
glasses. I would not mail an original (master negative) to just anybody
either, on this we may agree.

at your service,
Mr. Gary S. Dykes

telling it like it is