Subject: tc-list Re: Open Access

From: "Wieland Willker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:15:55 +0200

About Muenster:
I think the main problem here is money. This is not a BIG INSTITUTE. It is
some people with fixed-term contracts doing their work. They don't have the
time and money to process world-wide requests.
If you need mss photos, go and get them. Nobody has the duty to provide you
with them. Of course, getting a high-res. scan via internet is cool, but not
every institution has the adequate means to do so.

But the main point was: The bad condition of the material itself.
I think this is a problem of the world-wide church. It is their job to safe
the originals. I think the money is there to do this, but it needs a good
manager to carry this out in a big joint-venture.

And please call it: THE BIBLE GENOM PROJECT.
(Fill in the empty spaces)

Begun in ______, the Bible Genome Project is a ___-year effort coordinated
by the _____________________. The project originally was planned to last ___
years, but rapid technological advances have accelerated the expected
completion date to ______. Project goals are to

- identify all the estimated ________ manuscripts of the Greek New Testament
- determine the exact content of all these manuscripts and specify their
differences.
- store this information in databases,
- develop tools for data analysis, and
- address the ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from
the project.

(It is quite simple to copy and paste more stuff from the HGP and replace
Human with Bible, DNA with manuscript etc...)

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
--------------------
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/