Subject: Re: tc-list Josephus: The Slavonic Additions?

From: Jim West <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:44:22 -0400

At 08:18 PM 9/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello everyone!
>
>    Here I am again showing off my ignorance (and lack of manners by asking
>off-topic questions).  I recently encountered a couple of gentlemen who
>mentioned that, besides the customary references to the Testimonium Flavium
>(Antiq. xviii.iii.3) and the passing reference to James  (Antiq. xx.ix.1),
>Josephus had written a statement to the effect that a plaque had been
>attached to the Temple walls proclaiming that "JESUS OF NAZARETH WAS PUT TO
>DEATH FOR PROPHESYING THE DESTRUCTION OF THIS HOLY PLACE".  When queried as
>to the location of this remarkable bit of evidence they told me it was to
>be found in the "Slavonic Additions" to the  __Jewish Wars__ of Josephus.
>I'll freely admit that until this point in time I had never even heard of
>these "Additions", and am at a loss to locate any references to this
>extraordinary addendum  -- a quick search of the 'Net has turned up zilch.
>Can anyone enlighten me as to the status and bona fides of this document?
>Thanks in advance.

Etienne Nodet is the fellow you need to ask about this.  He knows Josephus
better than any human alive and he has done extensive work on the slavonic
text of Josephus.

If you want to pursue this contact me offlist and I will send along his
email address to you.

Best,

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jim West, ThD
email- [email-masked]
web page-  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest